• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

All the different ways of completing the same quest. We need more quests like that next time Vark. Do you hear me?? :D

As for the Skingrad house, that Orc seems to wander away, get lost, or killed regularly. There are plenty of other places to buy houses though. I never really found the need to have more than one, as you can get confused as to where you left items, so I bought the one in Skingrd, but I also did the quest for the one in Anvil, which is a cheap way to get a house.

siamesedreamer said:
How did you kill the vampire hunters without going to jail?

I took the tough route on this one. I killed the vampires in the cave myself, and then stalked down the hunters in town. I took out the first two without issue. The ones that were close to guards I killed off
while wearing the Grey Fox mask.
Heh. That was cool. :)

GhaleonEB

Speevy said:
I think this thread is gonna limp across the finish line unless other versions get officially announced.
We need more upgrades/DLC to bash. :)

Is there a Master Training Quest for every skill? I just did one for Armorer of all skills.

I just got over 75 on Marksman (takes......forever......) and got the random knockdown. I wasn't thinking it would be a big deal. Holy crap was I wrong. I don't just knock guys down, I sent they hurling arcross a room, and they stay on the ground for a good 5-6 seconds before getting up. About every 20 shots I take someone down. Usually it's long enough to whip out a sword and hack them to death before they can even get up. It rawks.

Needless to say, the next few levels I'm increasing my Luck, and just may enchant some armor with it.

firex

Yeah, I think you can get a master training quest for every skill. Find the expert trainer and then hit 75 and they should give the NPC's name to you (and of course, that gives you a magic location of exactly where they are, but still) and then you'll do a quest for them. I totally agree about Marksman too, it's such an underrated skill. It's STILL my argonian assassin's main damage skill, despite his blades being way up there and doing basically as much damage or more. The knockdown, and then at master, paralyze effects are so damn good, and IMO even more useful than the power attacks you get with melee, that it makes up for the lower damage.

Core407

Banned
firex said:
Yeah, I think you can get a master training quest for every skill. Find the expert trainer and then hit 75 and they should give the NPC's name to you (and of course, that gives you a magic location of exactly where they are, but still) and then you'll do a quest for them. I totally agree about Marksman too, it's such an underrated skill. It's STILL my argonian assassin's main damage skill, despite his blades being way up there and doing basically as much damage or more. The knockdown, and then at master, paralyze effects are so damn good, and IMO even more useful than the power attacks you get with melee, that it makes up for the lower damage.

Master skill quest? News to me - please elaborate.

GhaleonEB

Core407 said:
Master skill quest? News to me - please elaborate.
When you hit level 75 on a skill - apparantly ANY skill - you will get the option in dialogue to ask about "Training". There are "masters" of each skill in the game, and they will perform higher-level training for you if you prove your worth, aka do a quest. I've done some for Blade, Conjuration and one other in my past game. When you get over 75, ask around. Lots of NPCs will talk about them, usually ones that make sense, such as lower-level trainers.

I just got a new goal for my character - do all the Master Quests. Should take a while. That, and fully completing the Collector's Quest, which is what I'm focused on right now. (three out of ten!)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
GhaleonEB said:
We need more upgrades/DLC to bash. :)

Is there a Master Training Quest for every skill? I just did one for Armorer of all skills.

I just got over 75 on Marksman (takes......forever......) and got the random knockdown. I wasn't thinking it would be a big deal. Holy crap was I wrong. I don't just knock guys down, I sent they hurling arcross a room, and they stay on the ground for a good 5-6 seconds before getting up. About every 20 shots I take someone down. Usually it's long enough to whip out a sword and hack them to death before they can even get up. It rawks.

Needless to say, the next few levels I'm increasing my Luck, and just may enchant some armor with it.

The way I leveled up my marksman was to get lots & lots & lots of cheap arrows, and then find an ogre in the wilderness & fill him full of arrows. Did the same thing with Destruction -- just cast a really weak fireball. I was fast enough to keep away from them, so I'd just circle around & shoot fireballs or arrows until they were dead.

bengraven

GhaleonEB said:
When you hit level 75 on a skill - apparantly ANY skill - you will get the option in dialogue to ask about "Training". There are "masters" of each skill in the game, and they will perform higher-level training for you if you prove your worth, aka do a quest. I've done some for Blade, Conjuration and one other in my past game. When you get over 75, ask around. Lots of NPCs will talk about them, usually ones that make sense, such as lower-level trainers.

I just got a new goal for my character - do all the Master Quests. Should take a while. That, and fully completing the Collector's Quest, which is what I'm focused on right now. (three out of ten!)

That was my mission for myself, too. When I run out of quests, I'll do the Master Quests. I still have Mehrune's Razor, the "invisible creatures" at that settlement quest, The Collector's Quest and a couple of random ones I never realized were in the game but have been mentioned here.

I found several of the Master level quests and they were usually fairly straight forward, and not overly exciting, but still fun, and rewarding when you can train. Generally worth the effort.

Yeah, we are kind of limping along to 10k, but we're almost there. I'll bow out graciously from this thread, once we get there. :D

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I found several of the Master level quests and they were usually fairly straight forward, and not overly exciting, but still fun, and rewarding when you can train. Generally worth the effort.

Yeah, we are kind of limping along to 10k, but we're almost there. I'll bow out graciously from this thread, once we get there. :D

We need some big DLC to get this topic active again.

GhaleonEB

I'd just like to mention, again, how awesome it is to be a great archer, now; it took some time, but it's way more fun than my first character. The knockdown + tons of poisons + strong enchanted bows = ownange. There was a rough stretch in the middle but I'm just destroying guys now, even ogres.

The big factors, which combine deliciously, are having visibility to all four ingredient effects, the fact that poisons stack, and my new wonderful knockdown. A typical encounter last night with a Necromancer went thus:

1) I spot him using Detect Live/Night Vision custom spell.
2) I poison my arrow with frost damage (8pts/second for 37 seconds)
3) I nail him from sneak, and get the knockdown sending him across a room. His life is 2/3 gone already.
4) I stand over his body as his health ticks away. He tries to get up...falls back down, dead. One arrow, one kill.

Another great moment was discovering what happens when you knockdown the Storm Atronach. He actually shatters, just as if he's dead, and then slowly re-assembles, T-1000 style. It was awesome to watch, and I beat the living hell out of him while he assembled.

Next moment: running into a Minotaur Lord. Lots and lots of HP, fast and nasty. I tag him with four arrows from a distance - all poisoned - and the fourth knocks him down. He lays there, four stacked poisons working away, for a bit. Then he's up and charging across the room, all intimidating like. He drops dead right in front of me. I had put my bow away and was just watching, amused.

And then there's the "nail them with paralyze, then run up and hack'em to death" method. Great for the Sigil Keepers. I've got ~50 health poisons and 10 paralyze poisons on hand at any point in time.

It's such a different play style than the nearly straight fighter I had before - run in and attack like mad. I'm doing nothing but Alyid ruins right now - about 15 in a row - and it's still really fun, just for the combat. I've said it before, but Oblivion is the best hack'n slash RPG ever.

Core407 said:
We need some big DLC to get this topic active again.

Has anything new been announced in the DLC department? It's been awhile since the Vile Lair was released. Can we expect more or are pretty much done?

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Has anything new been announced in the DLC department? It's been awhile since the Vile Lair was released. Can we expect more or are pretty much done?
It seems like the release schedule slowed down. They're probably trying to figuire out why KFJ hasn't bought any. If then can get you to buy some, then anyone will. :D

Actually, I'm hoping they're done with the DLC and are working on a full-blown expansion.

How long after Morrowind shipped was the first expansion announced?

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

No, not yet. Probably either working on a full expansion or some new dungeons.

If they do release an expansion, you guys think it'll be on marketplace?

GhaleonEB

Core407 said:
No, not yet. Probably either working on a full expansion or some new dungeons.

If they do release an expansion, you guys think it'll be on marketplace?
Good question. The DLC has been pretty small, mostly because they use existing parts of the Construction Set. I would hope a full expansion has new territory, objects, weapons, items, creatures, architecture, etc and so could be pretty big. Not to mention all the new dilogue for new towns/quests, etc. I can see it being pretty big.

Then again, some DEMOS are over a full gig, so I'm sure it's possible.

Core407

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Good question. The DLC has been pretty small, mostly because they use existing parts of the Construction Set. I would hope a full expansion has new territory, objects, weapons, items, creatures, architecture, etc and so could be pretty big. Not to mention all the new dilogue for new towns/quests, etc. I can see it being pretty big.

Then again, some DEMOS are over a full gig, so I'm sure it's possible.

Well I think it all depends on if they use assets already packed into the game, or if they create completely new textures and models.

I don't think they're going to announce an expansion so soon, but I'm sure they're kicking around ideas.

GhaleonEB

Parch said:
Expansions probably wouldn't make them as much money as another full content sequel.
Depends how much time they put into it. If they can add a few cities and a few dozen quests in nine months and get a good chunk of users to buy it, they'll make a good chunk of change. On the XBox, the GotY edition sold just as much as the regular one (~600k). Definately enough motivation to do it.

Deadbone

Just finished Mehrunes Razor last night. It was quite a long haul. Noticed a couple of glitches with enemies. In Varsa Baalim when back tracking to do the laborious dungeon crawl for all the booty, I came across two enemies in a perpetual loop flying around like they're possessed. One has a long weird pole fused to him and he bounces around like a fly in his death roll. Because of the second ones location a large stash of items are unobtainable. (He is unpassable along with a large area near him) Thank goodness he wasn't located in an important area. Also once the dungeon is cleared, now when I go back in many enemies have returned. Be prepared. The cash reward is worth it though.......I’m outta here, back to Varsa B once again.:)

GhaleonEB

bengraven said:
(to get to 10,000)

So what do we want to see in the expansion?

In general, I'd like to see not only the expected new cities/dungeons/quests added, I'd like some things added to expand on the gameplay present. Stuff like additional ingredients added to the world, new creatures for higher-level players to run into (not just leveled enemies that you met 10 levels ago). New weapon classes, such as a weapon class for hand-hand - iron/spiked knuckles. I'd also like spears.

yonder

So...now I've played it for about 5 hours. :) I haven't really done anything yet. I explored a mine and wandered around in the city talking to people. Got arrested for picking up an apple (I just wanted to play with it). As a result some creepy dude gave me a note from Gray Fox! Must be how you join the Thieves Guild, I guess. I also got a quest concerning the market and that Thoronir dude.

I love it so far, I just don't know what to do first. :)

eshwaaz

Yonn said:
So...now I've played it for about 5 hours. :) I haven't really done anything yet. I explored a mine and wandered around in the city talking to people. Got arrested for picking up an apple (I just wanted to play with it). As a result some creepy dude gave me a note from Gray Fox! Must be how you join the Thieves Guild, I guess. I also got a quest concerning the market and that Thoronir dude.

I love it so far, I just don't know what to do first. :)

That's one of the game's biggest strengths, and one that also makes it incredibly daunting at first. It gives you so many appealing opportunities so early in the game that it's easy to lose track of the main quest (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

I got so caught up in side quests, exploring, and just getting totally immersed in the world that I ended up burning out on the game before finishing the story. I had invested about 160 hours at that point, so I'm certainly not complaining - I got my money's worth, and then some.

yonder

eshwaaz said:
That's one of the game's biggest strengths, and one that also makes it incredibly daunting at first. It gives you so many appealing opportunities so early in the game that it's easy to lose track of the main quest (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

I got so caught up in side quests, exploring, and just getting totally immersed in the world that I ended up burning out on the game before finishing the story. I had invested about 160 hours at that point, so I'm certainly not complaining - I got my money's worth, and then some.
That's good, because that's what I was expecting after reading this thread. :)

Last time I spent over 100 hours with a game must have been Final fantasy X...

bengraven

Mejilan said:
I wouldn't mind if the expansion included all the bullshit DLC goods so far.

Since those are an option, I would assume not. I don't think Tribunal added the Vivic fletcher, swamp sounds, adamantium armor plugins to Morrowind. And of course, those were free and PC only. Frankly, I would say there's a 99% chance they won't add the extra DLC to the expansion.

I'd be surprised if any expansions were available for DLC. I'd guess they'd do another "Game of the Year" edition or something. They made two expansions for Morrowind, and while it is doubtful they made as much money as the actualy game, it's a good way for the property to continue to bring in money while they start the early work on the next game in the series.

What would I like to see in an expansion? Hmm... a whole new chunk of land to explore, with more dungeons, quests, and items. More creatures would be good. If they added in a real dragon for you to fight, that would be awesome. New textured and models that not only fit into the expansion but show up on Oblivion as well. For example, if they created a new creature, say the Werewolf, it would be cool if you encountered it not only in the new area of the expansion, but also in the existing area as well. Same with quests. Adding some new thieves guild or dark brotherhood quests would be very welcome.

Wrap up the whole package with it's own new main quest, and a good story, and I'll be very happy. Right now, I'd be happy if they just announce something. :)

bengraven

I sometimes wonder if they'll add some islands in the sea to the south or make us teleport to a new location. I don't think they'll go into the borders of other lands. I have no evidence to back that up, only instinct.

But if they do, I could see them adding to the more obscure countries, like Black Marsh. Adding Black Marsh in would be very cool and since Cyrodiil is the largest country in the Empire, I think, I would imagine adding a small area would be economically feasible for an expansion.

Or just adding little bits from different borders. A little bit of Morrowind here, a bit of Sommerset Isle here. I wouldn't be mad at that. In fact, I would definitely condone that.

My ideas for expansions, however, and what I'd like to see will get posted in a bit. Not because I'm trying to bump this thread to 10,000 [ ;) ] but because I want to think about it more.

Suerte

Has an expansion definitely been announced? I mean, what would be the point of it with this DLC trend? Did Morrowind have DLC?

Suerte said:
Has an expansion definitely been announced? I mean, what would be the point of it with this DLC trend? Did Morrowind have DLC?

Hasn't been announced, but is expected considering the two expansions for Morrowind. No, there wasn't DLC for Morrowind as microtransactions are pretty much new for this generation.

The difference between the DLC and a full blown expansion are pretty major. The DLC mostly offers small, limited, and cheap content. An expansion would cost more but offer a lot more as well, as in whole new sections on the map, lots more quests, creatures, a new story, more items, etc. Most likely they'd come with full voice acting as well, which the DLC doesn't have. Big difference between the two.

Suerte

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Hasn't been announced, but is expected considering the two expansions for Morrowind. No, there wasn't DLC for Morrowind as microtransactions are pretty much new for this generation.

The difference between the DLC and a full blown expansion are pretty major. The DLC mostly offers small, limited, and cheap content. An expansion would cost more but offer a lot more as well, as in whole new sections on the map, lots more quests, creatures, a new story, more items, etc. Most likely they'd come with full voice acting as well, which the DLC doesn't have. Big difference between the two.

I see, I see, it'd still be nice if they released the expansion over Live, but I guess that wouldn't work for the (insane) people without Live.

Suerte said:

Yes, it did, but only for the PC, and it was free.

Both expansions for Morrowind featured entirely different land areas that weren't found on the main continent (Tribunal had Mournhold, a city who knows where, Bloodmoon had Solsteim (sp?), which was huge ice island off the cost of the main continent).

I would expect expansions to Oblivion to feature something similar... Probably not a whole new land like ElseWhyr (sp again?) or Summerset Isle... I'd imagine those would be whole new games. Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem pretty substantial. I would love to see an expansion (or mod) that focused on the rebuilding of Kvatch.... along the lines of what was going on with Solsteim in Bloodmoon perhaps.

eshwaaz said:

Yeah, i was intimidated by the shear scope of things at first. I'm about 18 hours in, and still learning a lot. Haven't bothered with the main quest at all. I've been working on quests in Bravil mostly.
The Dreamworld
was pretty cool. :)
Working on the "Forelorn Watchman" now.

GhaleonEB

I remember literally freaking out at the size of Imperial City. I explored one district and thought that was it. Not 1/8th of the city. I spent three days just exploring it, talking with people and getting oriented.

Then I went on a murder spree. :D

Lord Helmet said:
Yeah, i was intimidated by the shear scope of things at first. I'm about 18 hours in, and still learning a lot. Haven't bothered with the main quest at all. I've been working on quests in Bravil mostly.
The Dreamworld
was pretty cool. :)
Working on the "Forelorn Watchman" now.

Getting your head wrapped around the scope of the game is one of the biggest hurdles in the early going. It takes a bit to get use to the play mechanics, and I think I ran around like a kid with ADD for a few hours as I talked to everyone, collected a dozen quests, and walked around exploring things. Things begin to come more into focus after about 10-20 hours or so, and things fall into line. I'd say it sounds like you're close to that now.

gblues

Banned
If I were a betting man, I would expect the expansion to involve Elswyhr; there is already a lot of foreshadowing in Oblivion about a Elswyhr-Cyrodil conflict over the border near Lleyawin. I would expect the expansion to involve the border dispute and resolving it.

I can think of a few other ideas, but they're pretty big in scope (involving the choosing of a new emperor and/or the collapse of the Empire), probably fodder for TES V or another TES offshoot (RTS ahoy!).

Nathan

Yusaku

Final thieves guild quest:

I'm in the lost catacombs, where you have to use the boots of springheel jack. I've used the boots to get to the upper area, but the switches that open the door do not stay on. The buttons just pop back up. I've consulted the strat guide and it only says one of the buttons need to be pressed. It's not possible to keep them both pressed at the same time. As far as I can tell the gate never even opens. The dark welkynd stones WILL shoot me after pressing the button, of course. Halp

Finally got an X360 earlier today. I bought Oblivion cheap off of ebay so I'll be posting and begging for help in about a week or so. Until then I have RR6, Condemned, and Saint's Row demo to help kill time.

Man real life is going to suck when I have Oblivion and Dead Rising hitting at about the same time. :(

Jonnyram

Are you in the right area? I thought there was only one button, and I don't remember any stones shooting at me in that part either. Could just be my memory though. I certainly didn't have the problem you are describing - I could go through first time.

GhaleonEB

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Finally got an X360 earlier today. I bought Oblivion cheap off of ebay so I'll be posting and begging for help in about a week or so. Until then I have RR6, Condemned, and Saint's Row demo to help kill time.

Man real life is going to suck when I have Oblivion and Dead Rising hitting at about the same time. :(
Ouch. Oblivion has given me 3 months of straight play time. It's gonna be tough with both landing.

Yusaku

Jonnyram said:
Are you in the right area? I thought there was only one button, and I don't remember any stones shooting at me in that part either. Could just be my memory though. I certainly didn't have the problem you are describing - I could go through first time.

Nope, there are two buttons and you get zapped. I cleared the Xbox 360's cache and it worked after I pressed both buttons.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
haven't been keeping up, are there any more DLC coming?

I heard of a dragon castle & a garden???
is that it or was there more announced?

Yusaku said:
Nope, there are two buttons and you get zapped. I cleared the Xbox 360's cache and it worked after I pressed both buttons.

I had the same problem, but clearing the cache didn't help. I went on the Official Forums to find a fix, which had me making a completely new save right where I was stuck, then logging out of Live, logging back in, then restarting the game with the new save. I was HIGHLY skeptical that this would work, but it did, and not just for me, but a number of other people in the thread. I was very frustrated at that point trying to get through those damn doors!

bengraven

I want to see more forms of weapons in the expansion. Maybe unique weapons from each territory in the Empire. Also, armor. Designing your own character is great, but once you load him up with armor, he looks exactly like everyone else.

I know we'll get another big place to explore and I can't wait, but I hope they add more things to Cyrodiil as well. I would pay big MS points for DLC that added a few new guilds to the Imperial capitol as well.

Werewolves.

More unique enemies. Bizarre creatures.

Foreshadowing for TESV (well, that's expected).

Better relationships with characters. I don't JUST mean having some sort of love interest, but also just having better friendships. I want unique characters hanging around Cyrodiil that you can befriend and eventually have follow you around. Like a more traditional RPG with a party system, I think it would be cool to have a "follower" actually be a unique character and not just some faceless killer/fighter/fanboy, etc.

More customization. Let me level up my horse. Give them an inventory we can store things in. Maybe give us a new type of mount.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else. Oblivion was a fantastic upgrade from

Being able to give your horse an inventory is a no brainer. I know there was a PC mod that did that, and it makes perfect sense. I don't use my horse much, but I like the idea of that. Also, being able to attack while mounted would be cool. I know there are some technical issues to that one, but it would be nice. At least let me fire my bow.

Top Bottom