• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

One of the UK PC Gaming Magazines did name Oblivion the best game of all time. I'm not sure I'd put it at number 1, but it's easily in my Top 10 and maybe Top 5. It's an amazing game, and it's so easy to get immersed in the world. It's like a MMORPG without the massively multiplayer or online part.

Speaking of which, I don't really need to see an Elder Scrolls MMORPG, but I'd love it if we could play two to four player co-op. I know that it brings in a whole new element to balancing the game, and obviously the net code would have to be good, but damn, it would make for one amazing exerpience on Live.

And as for money, yeah, you'll be a little cash starved at the early stages of the game. I found by about level 10 or so I was starting to bank up some cash, and by level 20 I was swimming in it. So, stick with it, and the increased value of the loot you find will pay off big time. The only thing that sucks is that you'll find items worth 5k or more gold, and you'll only find merchants buying for 1200 gold, unless you invest, in which case you can get a little more.

Jonnyram said:
Coop would be awesome, but I think it might be a little easy to destroy every NPC in the game ;) And what would you do then!

Destroy every NPC in the game of course! :)

But seriously, that's why I said there would be balancing issues. They'd have to spawn more and tougher creatures to fight, or limit the adventures to specially designed co-op quests or something.

bengraven

I know how many people feel about multiplayer and I'm not trying to sound like one of those "single player only" advocates, but I just don't think multi would work in Elder Scrolls. That is all.

bengraven said:
I know how many people feel about multiplayer and I'm not trying to sound like one of those "single player only" advocates, but I just don't think multi would work in Elder Scrolls. That is all.

Why not?

I don't mean that in a bad, lets start an argument way. Just more of an inquisitive " how come you don't think it'll work kind of way." :)

Like I said, there would certainly need to be balancing issues that you would have to work out. But the more action oriented combat style of Oblivion could play out more like an action rpg with a small party. I'm talking two to four people, not anything larger.

One element that could be an issue is that all the characters share the same skills, even if they are not their primaries, so classes at higher levels become somewhat irrelevent if you have managed to improve all your skills. In most RPG's, the class helps to distinguish your character, as a fighter, thief, or mage all have very different skills.

Still, I'd love to explore Oblivion with some friends along for the ride. :)

Started my 3rd character evil assassin wood elf.

Although my game is crashing loads when I open the map, it's really pissing me off atm. Dunno why it's happening. Have the patch installed, didn't happen b4 my pc upgrade :/

MrPing1000 said:
Started my 3rd character evil assassin wood elf.

Although my game is crashing loads when I open the map, it's really pissing me off atm. Dunno why it's happening. Have the patch installed, didn't happen b4 my pc upgrade :/

Different graphics card? Updated drivers?

Raiden

Banned
Well i finally bought(360) it, a total of 72 hours later then i planned too, but i have it. Gonna eat now and have a play.

Anything special i need to know if i start off? Something crucial?

Raiden said:
Well i finally bought(360) it, a total of 72 hours later then i planned too, but i have it. Gonna eat now and have a play.

Anything special i need to know if i start off? Something crucial?

Save your game right before you exit the prison at the beginning. That way, if you decide you want to tweak your character, or try a different type of class, you can do so without having to go back to the beginning.

Have fun. We'll see you in a few weeks! ;)

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Different graphics card? Updated drivers?

same graphics card, x800xl drivers went from 6.6 to 6.7. I'm pretty sure most of them have occurred on the map screen, sometimes with an error message sometimes i can't see it. I'll right down what it says next time something about a virtual code or something.

hasn't crashed in a while hmm.

Anyway out of curiousity does anyone know of any macro programs that work with Oblivion? When I sell stuff I often sell it one at a time to try and get mercantile gains but selling 127 arrows is a tiring task that I could do without. I've tried a few macro programs but none seem to want to work.

Quite a funny story - I was running away from 2 three-eyed trolls (I'm a wimpy Thief) and ran into this archer named Schlera Sestius who started attacking me.

So now I have 3 aggros on me and I decided to dive into the lake, hoping none would follow me in. Turns out it works and then the trolls turned on that archer and killed her. I looted her and found a special bow and a mithril cuirass, which I really wanted. Then I dove back into the lake and just chilled out wading in the water.

I hope she's not tied to some quest where I need her alive though...

Finally getting back into this after getting done with my final.

Alright, I doing the quest to cure vampirism. I need 5 Grand Soul Gems. I don't even think I've found one grand soul gem much less five. So, where are the best places to start looking?

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:
Finally getting back into this after getting done with my final.

Alright, I doing the quest to cure vampirism. I need 5 Grand Soul Gems. I don't even think I've found one grand soul gem much less five. So, where are the best places to start looking?
There is a shop in the Imperial Capital called the Mystic Emperium (or some pretentious thing like that) which sells soul gems, and they usually have at least one empty grand soul gem on hand. Similar shops in other towns have similar selections. The best bet, though, is to go to all the Mage's Guildhalls. There is at least one person in each Guildhall that sells them, and they almost always have one empty grand soul gem on hand. They get new inventory in; not sure if it's every day or less frequently but if you can't find five from them wait a few days and try again.
gettergooey said:
Quite a funny story - I was running away from 2 three-eyed trolls (I'm a wimpy Thief) and ran into this archer named Schlera Sestius who started attacking me.

So now I have 3 aggros on me and I decided to dive into the lake, hoping none would follow me in. Turns out it works and then the trolls turned on that archer and killed her. I looted her and found a special bow and a mithril cuirass, which I really wanted. Then I dove back into the lake and just chilled out wading in the water.

I hope she's not tied to some quest where I need her alive though...
If she's needed for some quest, she will not be killable; you'll just knock her out for a while.

MrPing1000 said:
hasn't crashed in a while hmm.

Anyway out of curiousity does anyone know of any macro programs that work with Oblivion? When I sell stuff I often sell it one at a time to try and get mercantile gains but selling 127 arrows is a tiring task that I could do without. I've tried a few macro programs but none seem to want to work.
On the 360 there's a slider when you sell multiples of the same thing - you can slide from the max down to 1 in a few moments. I thought the PC was the same...?

gblues

Banned
I got like 3 or 4 grand soulgems as a quest reward.. I think it was the "sins of the father" quest--but you had to choose to take the sword back to Chorrol instead of the Thieves' Guild guy, and then go show the Eschucheon to the brothers.

Nathan

Jonnyram

GhaleonEB said:
On the 360 there's a slider when you sell multiples of the same thing - you can slide from the max down to 1 in a few moments. I thought the PC was the same...?
I think he's saying that he gets more mercantile increase if he sells them separately. If you sell them in a bundle, it only increases your mercantile once.

GhaleonEB

Jonnyram said:
I think he's saying that he gets more mercantile increase if he sells them separately. If you sell them in a bundle, it only increases your mercantile once.
Oh, I see. Might help explain why my mercantile sucks. :lol

I'm doing the Daedric Quests now, which I mostly skipped on my last character. I'm having a ball. I just did one that featured a spell I've dubbed "
The Nude Bomb
". :lol

The other involved me killing a bunch of
priests trying to bring light to the underground worshipers. Their shrieks after I snuffed out their torches had me in hysterics.
:lol

Some of the best quests in the game, so far.

Shabaz

Neo Member
Anyone now where I could find me some Tinder Polypore Cap? know they are on tree trunks but I have been searching for awhile and haven't found any.

LakeEarth

GhaleonEB said:
If she's needed for some quest, she will not be killable; you'll just knock her out for a while.
Not always, you can ruin minor missions by killing certain people. Only the really important people get knocked unconscious. That being said, I've never heard of this archer chick so she might just be a passer-by.

GhaleonEB

LakeEarth said:
Not always, you can ruin minor missions by killing certain people. Only the really important people get knocked unconscious. That being said, I've never heard of this archer chick so she might just be a passer-by.
Interesting. I did find late in the Dark Brotherhood that I'd prematurely killed off lots of people already.
That family you had to assasinate? I'd killed two of them already. Likewise one or two others. But they didn't ruin the quests for me.

I'm considering a murderous rampage now that I'm loaded up with paralyze poisons. :) Lots of old folks gonna die in their sleep.

I know the NPC's for the Main Quest fall unconcious, but not sure about other quests. For instance, I've heard a number of people report that can't complete a "Buying a House" quest because the person with the deed wandered off somewhere and got himself killed.

Stupid Vampire Cure quest is a shitty ass fetch quest.......

I brought her the 5 gems and now she wants me to bring her back all this shit and kill some badass vampire. WTF? Being a vampire is annoying as hell. I WANT TO SEE THE SUN AGAIN!!!

rs7k

LOL this game is hilarious. I'm using my speechcraft on some reptilian "male" thing, just randomly pressing shit. I hear from him "Talk tough to me. I love tough guys.."

:lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm absolutely awful at picking locks. Like really, truly awful.

So my Alteration level was like 62, and this evening I spammed it up to 75 and made myself a spell to open very hard (and below) locks. :D

Spent a while robbing pretty much every store in the Imperial City marketplacer district, over a couple of nights. Locked doors being literally the equiv. of any normal door in the game rocks.

I hope for Elder Scrolls V more emphasis is put on AI, though. If a bunch of stores are robbed one night, it should be crawling with guards the following night. People should have a longterm memory of where they've seen you, and what interactions you've had with them. Punched a woman in the face, just becase you can? Forget getting something from her husband two (in-game) weeks later for a quest, unless you bribe him or cast some major charm spells on him. If people know where they've seen you as a thief you'd be casting spells of forgetfulness all over the place. It'd be sweet.

Jonnyram

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I know the NPC's for the Main Quest fall unconcious,
Not in my game...
Poor Jauffre - he's the one NPC I wanted to live until the end, but he got killed while we were opening the Great Gate

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:
Stupid Vampire Cure quest is a shitty ass fetch quest.......

I brought her the 5 gems and now she wants me to bring her back all this shit and kill some badass vampire. WTF? Being a vampire is annoying as hell. I WANT TO SEE THE SUN AGAIN!!!
QFT. Horrible quest.

I'm leaving for Malaysia for two weeks tomorrow, so Oblivion and I will be seperated. I'll pop in to say 'hi' in the thread from time to time. :)

GhaleonEB

GDJustin said:
I'm absolutely awful at picking locks. Like really, truly awful.

So my Alteration level was like 62, and this evening I spammed it up to 75 and made myself a spell to open very hard (and below) locks. :D

Spent a while robbing pretty much every store in the Imperial City marketplacer district, over a couple of nights. Locked doors being literally the equiv. of any normal door in the game rocks.

I hope for Elder Scrolls V more emphasis is put on AI, though. If a bunch of stores are robbed one night, it should be crawling with guards the following night. People should have a longterm memory of where they've seen you, and what interactions you've had with them. Punched a woman in the face, just becase you can? Forget getting something from her husband two (in-game) weeks later for a quest, unless you bribe him or cast some major charm spells on him. If people know where they've seen you as a thief you'd be casting spells of forgetfulness all over the place. It'd be sweet.
I totally agree. (I made a similar post a few dozen pages ago.)

I'd also like the AI to have a "suspicion" level. Example:

One of the assassinations I did was a guy in an inn. He was behind the counter, and had a bedroll there (!!!). There was an Imperial Guard who stayed in the room 24/7, pacing back and forth. So I went into sneak mode when the target was standing behind the counter, and stood behind him. The guard turned away for a moment, and I nailed the guy in the back with a dagger. He fell forward over the counter, and I stood up. The guard turned around, stopped for a moment to take in the scene:

*The innkeeper is dead, drooped over the counter face first, clearly stabbed in the back.
*The only other person in the inn is standing behind his corpse, with a dagger out, dressed head-toe in an assassin's black cloak.
*The innkeeper was alive when he turned around five seconds ago.

He keeps on pacing, as if nothing happened. He must have concluded that all he had was circumstantial evidence. :lol

Jonnyram said:
Not in my game...
Poor Jauffre - he's the one NPC I wanted to live until the end, but he got killed while we were opening the Great Gate
But he's not needed for any quest after that point. Both he and Martin are invincible throughout the game until that battle.

Jonnyram said:
Not in my game...

He's no longer needed at that point, so he's allowed to die, but at any point prior to that, he'll just fall unconcious.

teiresias

For graphical mods, I use Shaja's two LOD Distance Texture replacement mods, one of those LOD NormalMap mods (though honestly, even looking at the screenshots in the TESSource entries of these kinds of mods I can't really see any difference in them), and a couple of other texture replacement mods, can't remember them off the top of my head. I also use the Natural Environments mod and enable Natural Vegetation, Natural Weather, and one other, can't remember its name. IMO, Natural Environments is the major must-have mod for the PC version, it makes the game look and feel incredible (there's an associated mod that lowers the overall yellow-tint NE gives the game if you don't like it, but keeps the overall more saturated, less cold look than the normal game).

I haven't been able to play much so I havne't really done any game system mods, I'd rather experience the system like the designers made it first.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm playing on the 360 - do you have any screenshots of the game with these mods on, or know of any online? I wanna see how different it is.

Unrelated:

I need some help with a mage's guild quest, I think. I'm trying to
ret rid of the three vampire hunters. I already went ahead and let them clear out the cave, and now I need to eliminate them. But they only hang around public places, or their inn room. Whenever I try to take one out the other two arrive and gang up on me, which is a problem in and of itself. The bigger problem is that the guards are alerted, though. Dunno how to do the quest without the guards being aware.

Maybe I don't need help. Maybe what I really need is just some patience. Get some uber poison or something and try to take them out quickly (and quietly) one by one :D

GDJustin said:
I need some help with a mage's guild quest, I think. I'm trying to
ret rid of the three vampire hunters. I already went ahead and let them clear out the cave, and now I need to eliminate them. But they only hang around public places, or their inn room. Whenever I try to take one out the other two arrive and gang up on me, which is a problem in and of itself. The bigger problem is that the guards are alerted, though. Dunno how to do the quest without the guards being aware.

Maybe I don't need help. Maybe what I really need is just some patience. Get some uber poison or something and try to take them out quickly (and quietly) one by one :D

Have you tried talking to them? I convinced them that the vampires were destroyed and they didn't need to stay around any longer. No need to fight them at all. Bu then again, I cleared out the cave myself.

seems I've broken the misc quest Trouble with Goblins. I stole the staff but got no message and dropping it at the other goblin den does nothing bleh.

Shabaz

Neo Member
I just finished the mission Lifting the vail and now I have constant music that an enemy is nearby when they aren't. Even when I go into towns its the same thing. I can't do anything because of it. Can't wait or travel anywhere. Anyone have this problem before, how do I fix it?

Edit: Its for the 360

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Save and reload? PC or X360? If X360, try clearing the cache. If PC, get rid of the music files, then drop 'em back in?

yonder

I just became an expert in alchemy! :)

Anyway, I'm having troble with a quest called Garridan's Tears.
I've reached the watchamacallit-glade and my quest status tells me too carefully look for the tears. But I take damage once in a while, whatsup? Also, a big ice monster kicked my ass so I ran away scared :/ Help!

Yonn said:
I just became an expert in alchemy! :)

Anyway, I'm having troble with a quest called Garridan's Tears.
I've reached the watchamacallit-glade and my quest status tells me too carefully look for the tears. But I take damage once in a while, whatsup? Also, a big ice monster kicked my ass so I ran away scared :/ Help!

pay attention to what u read, the place is super cold thats why u take damage. The tears are hard to see they are on the ground scattered around the frozen fella and monster in the middle.

JCBossman

Banned
i got a few questons, I just restarted after MAXING out my High-Elf Mage, but I didn't do the Dark Brotherhood stuff,so I am tring again with a Brenton. Now here is my questions, who should I kill in the Imperial City or Chorrel that wouldn't be missed and preferable I can do without getting a price on my head? From my first run through, I had a couple of questions, why can't I wear TWO mudane rings at once? How is damage handled, is Elemental damage considered MAGIC, say electrical from the mouth of the sipder Dadera? if I get constant resist shield to say a 100% with enchantments does that mean NOTHING can hurt me, same With Magic Resisstance and Reflection at 100% constant? I noticed going into the forts and shrines, they currently are filled withj low level characters (like me) and loot, I am wondering if it would make sence to hold off as much as possible with the Forts and wait till I am high level as I would get some great weapons and loot(rings and such)

JCBossman said:
i got a few questons, I just restarted after MAXING out my High-Elf Mage, but I didn't do the Dark Brotherhood stuff,so I am tring again with a Brenton. Now here is my questions, who should I kill in the Imperial City or Chorrel that wouldn't be missed and preferable I can do without getting a price on my head? From my first run through, I had a couple of questions, why can't I wear TWO mudane rings at once? How is damage handled, is Elemental damage considered MAGIC, say electrical from the mouth of the sipder Dadera? if I get constant resist shield to say a 100% with enchantments does that mean NOTHING can hurt me, same With Magic Resisstance and Reflection at 100% constant? I noticed going into the forts and shrines, they currently are filled withj low level characters (like me) and loot, I am wondering if it would make sence to hold off as much as possible with the Forts and wait till I am high level as I would get some great weapons and loot(rings and such)

Joining the Dark Brotherhood is easy. You can pretty much kill anyone. I'd take out someone in one of the various Inns around the countryside. Do it while no one is looking, and kill the person while they are asleep, and you will avoid the price on your head. I actually killed some necromancer in a cave when I got the message that unseen forces were watching. It was odd, but it did the trick.

As for your other questions, it's pretty much standard in an RPG that you can only wear one of any magic item in a game. In this case, only one Mundane Ring. But you can still wear a different ring. Two rings at any given time.

I believe the elemental damage from a creature is considered magic, and yes, if you get your resistence levels high enough, you will take no damage from elemental or magical damage. Reflection sends the spell back towards the enemy who cast it. Don't forget though, you can still be hurt by physical attacks.

You can hold off on the Forts if you want, but I feel that they are still worth doing at each level, as they will provide loot that you can sell, and you'll still come across some decent items from time to time. You'll need the gold early on to pay for new spells, repairs to your armor and items, and to purchase new items. Sure you'll find better items at a later level, but it's still to your benefit, fromt time to time, to go exploring a cave/fort/etc. You'll get experience, find loot that will be useful or can be sold, and it's a nice break from doing quests, imho.

GhaleonEB

Forts are great for loot in general, but just as important for me - they're fun to clear out. Some great, creative level designs in there. Luring enemies into traps is fun. :)

Top Bottom