• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
flarkminator said:
Just got my copy of the guide today, holy crap. So far I've resisted the urges to read about the main quest....

Is the guide well done? Does it cover all the sidequests?

Crow

SnakeXs said:
mat-onos-morannasskivaderodbetor-570g.jpg

haha

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Suikoguy said:

I picked it up. I am very pleased with the content. I am avoiding reading the quest information, but it states that it covers the main quests, side quests, and others. The maps are well marked with numbers that are points of interest for various quests. I still can't believe I bought the guide, but I think this game is reaching Halo 2 level anticipation for me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
DenogginizerOS said:
I picked it up. I am very pleased with the content. I am avoiding reading the quest information, but it states that it covers the main quests, side quests, and others. The maps are well marked with numbers that are points of interest for various quests. I still can't believe I bought the guide, but I think this game is reaching Halo 2 level anticipation for me.

Yea, I stopped by a music store after work and was shocked to see the guide stacked up behind a register, couldn't resist a purchase. Pretty well laid-out and seemingly thorough based on nothing but pure assumption. I'd be surprised if anything vital is missing given a quick skim of the layout and depth to the writing.

Syphon Filter owns my soul right now, but this game is gonna steal it away.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
From over at QT3:

Hawkeye Fierce said:
So, those of you playing it already - how's it run? Is it Morrowind-esque in its choppiness or smooth?

Matt P said:
4800+ dual-core and x1900xt? *Braces for more 'you fucking fucker!' shouts* FRAPS says 60fps just about everywhere save for really super-heavily forested areas, at which point it's never dropped below 30. A fellow ed says its runs super-smooth on his 7800GT, and only started to chop when he took it home to try on a 9800.

AMD dual-core owners, get yer drivers and SP2 hotfixes installed (for dual-core). Hadn't bothered, but when I did, frame rate jacked up double-digits. Definitely a game that's going to put paid to dual-core on PC.

Matt P said:
AA and bloom are off, HDR's on, vsync enabled, distant rendering maxed...essentially everything set to max defaults (auto-detect, which reports 'ultra-high-quality'). In the game, it still sets item and people distance rendering fairly low. I left item rendering alone, since I don't care if I can see a sword on a table from a half mile off (couldn't anyway), and set people rendering to max with zero percent impact on frame rate. The upside = you can spot creatures/guards/whatever poking around several hills over. Think Weathertop-to-East-Road kind of scan distance.

EDIT: Forgot to answer your mem question John...1 GB.

damn... if these reports are true, my rig is going to own this game (or at least not be owned by it) :D

I wonder what res they were playing in..

Suikoguy said:

It is VERY well done. It explains everything very clearly (from what little I have checked out). Anyone who is a first time TES player I would STRONGLY recomend the guide. It has many helpful hints for first time players, and it has lots of tables of stats.

One of the thing I love about the guide is that its very blunt. Like straight up telling you, don't bother with Skills X Y Z, they are useless. (Then later goign into in depth explinations of how they aren't really useless but for a first time player they are).

All and all, despite the previously mentioned and quite accurate description of it feeling like its printed on Phonebook Paper, its a very nice guide. I feel like I got my money's worth; however, this is just from a cursory examination of the first part detailing character creation. I haven't (because I don't want to spoil it) checked out any of their stuff about Specific quests.

Hope this is helpful

Pimpbaa

AMD dual-core owners, get yer drivers and SP2 hotfixes installed (for dual-core). Hadn't bothered, but when I did, frame rate jacked up double-digits. Definitely a game that's going to put paid to dual-core on PC.

Glad I ordered an Athlon 64 X2 :D Weakest point on my new system is gonna be the 7600GT (but I ain't too worried).

Pimpbaa said:
Glad I ordered an Athlon 64 X2 :D Weakest point on my new system is gonna be the 7600GT (but I ain't too worried).

of course.. his framerate increase might have been due to a cool n quiet issue.. but it is really good news if it is just a performance boost from having a dual core cpu.

I think my 7800GTX and X2 will put me in good position to enjoy this game as it was intended.. which makes me happy, since I built this rig almost specifically to play Oblivion :) (of course I use it for lots of other stuff, too.. but I built with this game in mind :lol )

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Have we heard anything about the settings used by the 360 version of the game? Surely it is using some equivalent of the settings available to PC owners.

Pimpbaa

flarkminator said:
Its the PC version with everything maxed

Are you sure? I though the 360 had some things that faded into view fairly close. Those comments about the gaming running on pc quoted above would suggest you can set the view distance really really far for things.

Pimpbaa said:
Are you sure? I though the 360 had some things that faded into view fairly close. Those comments about the gaming running on pc quoted above would suggest you can set the view distance really really far for things.

'bout 90% sure. Several interviews they always said that the xbox version was the pc version with everything maxed. The 10% chance could be that they were lying.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just a heads-up for anyone planning to buy Oblivion at Best Buy; it was confirmed at CAG that next week's flyer lists 360 versions as available on Tuesday, and PC versions as available on Wednesday. Not sure why there's a days difference, but I'm willing to bet they'll have both on Tuesday.

And don't forget to use the 10%-off coupon!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So with all the hoopla about PC framerate getting into the high 50's and the magic 60, what exactly is the 360 version? In the 7 days left video, that looked like it was 60. Yet in some others it looked 30 :-|

Pimpbaa

Sp3eD said:
So with all the hoopla about PC framerate getting into the high 50's and the magic 60, what exactly is the 360 version? In the 7 days left video, that looked like it was 60. Yet in some others it looked 30 :-|

My guess is a variable framerate. So if it looked 60 in some videos and 30 in others, it's probably all over the place.

apparently they've been alternating between 360 and PC versions for the videos..

To quote..

Pete said:
QUOTE(MadMartigan @ Mar 17 2006, 04:36 PM)
Please pete, tell us if those countdown vids are running on the 360 or PC.

Watching you guys beat each other up over what version it came off of -- like it somehow matters -- is far too entertaining to bring it to an end with a simple answer.

Here's something to ponder. What if we used both to capture the videos and you have to figure out which is which?

that could explain the framerate differences in the video.. who knows :)

im not trying to troll but why do i get the feeling the oblivion ppl are hiding which version of the game videos are from because the pc ones are the ones with the huge draw distance and the 360 version is the not so great one with the horses or vice versa.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Kabuki Waq said:
im not trying to troll but why do i get the feeling the oblivion ppl are hiding which version of the game videos are from because the pc ones are the ones with the huge draw distance and the 360 version is the not so great one with the horses or vice versa.

Judging by which ones I think are which, the 360 got todays video which shows TONS of draw distance.

My guess.

7 days - PC
6 days - 360
5 days - PC
4 days - 360

Looks like they are rotating.

(PS I am pretty much judging by the way the character turns and frame hiccups)

the 7 days one was most impressive followed by day 5 and 4.

I just dont understand why they would not tell us which version is which. just seems shady.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Kabuki Waq said:
I just dont understand why they would not tell us which version is which. just seems shady.

Yeah, absolutely. The question is though, shady towards whom?

Personally, I hope it's the PC folks. They can go piss up a flagpole.

GreekWolf

Sp3eD said:

I do think they are rotating between the PC and Xbox.

As for framerate issues, the only thing we can go on is the gamespot preview, which claims that the 360 version actually runs smoother than the super rig they tested.

To date, I can't find another preview that mentions one platform over the other in regards to FPS and hiccups.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i just watched that video and there was no framerate hiccups. It was probably your computer that made the video twitchy. It ran smooth as butter the entire time for me.

I had thought the 7 days was the 360.. since it looked like there was HDR and I didn't see jaggies on the stone.. and we know the PC can't do AA and HDR at the same time.

Ah well.. not long to go now.. only 2-3 days :)

syllogism

flarkminator said:
Its the PC version with everything maxed

Pete Hines implied in an interview this week that draw distance slider can be adjusted beyond x360's default, but I'm sure most of them are maxed on x360.

Sp3eD said:
Judging by which ones I think are which, the 360 got todays video which shows TONS of draw distance.

My guess.

7 days - PC
6 days - 360
5 days - PC
4 days - 360

I don't know all that hardware stuff very well, but if I look at the specs of the 360 with its 3-core 3.2ghz cpu I think it's still better than a high end pc, isn't it? So why isn't there a huge difference in the versions?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TerryLee81 said:
I don't know all that hardware stuff very well, but if I look at the specs of the 360 with its 3-core 3.2ghz cpu I think it's still better than a high end pc, isn't it? So why isn't there a huge difference in the versions?

You can't just go "THIS ONE HAS MORE MEGAHERTZ" these days. Different architecture, different strengths and weaknesses, different performance per mhz.

Anyway, with my shiny new thermalright xp-120 freshly installed I pushed to the stable limit on my a64 3000+, and hit 2600mhz (from 1800mhz stock). Ready for oblivion now more than ever ;b

Burger

Jesus I haven't been so psyched for a game.

Thursday I will crawl out of bed while all my chump flatmates are at work, hook the 360 up to the HD projector, and play all day while sitting in my flatmates new massage chair.

hedonism-bot.jpg

"haw haw haw"

I actually had an Oblivion dream tonight. I played it co-op with voice chat and had a real good time. Obviously that won't happen but it would be interesting. Perhaps a mod for the PC version could add it, like with the PC versions of GTA?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
There are a bunch of view distances. The one for terrain, cities, and some other large structures is maxed out on the Xbox 360. On the PC, there are sliders for the others -- how far away things like grass, people, objects, high detail trees, etc. fade in, and you can adjust them according to your rig's capabilities. They are set on the Xbox 360 to an optimal distance for that machine and you cannot adjust them. So saying "the" draw distance is a bit ambiguous :)

Borys

Banned
SteveMeister said:
There are a bunch of view distances. The one for terrain, cities, and some other large structures is maxed out on the Xbox 360. On the PC, there are sliders for the others -- how far away things like grass, people, objects, high detail trees, etc. fade in, and you can adjust them according to your rig's capabilities. They are set on the Xbox 360 to an optimal distance for that machine and you cannot adjust them. So saying "the" draw distance is a bit ambiguous :)

Please don't beat around the bush and answer this directly (yes/no):

can you set the view distance (terrain, cities and some other large structures) slider on the PC version further than the optimal setting found on Xbox 360?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Borys said:

can you set the view distance (terrain, cities and some other large structures) slider on the PC version further than the optimal setting found on Xbox 360?

Which part of

The one for terrain, cities, and some other large structures is maxed out on the Xbox 360.

did you not understand? I thought that was pretty clear. :lol

As to the other view distance sliders -- the ones for grass, actors, objects, etc. -- I do not know if the PC can be set higher than the Xbox 360. I think the answer is that at least some of them can go higher on the PC. But the terrain/city/large structure slider, maxed out on PC, is the same as the setting on the Xbox 360. On the Xbox 360 or on a PC with that slider maxed, you can see for miles & miles (depending on the weather).

Helznicht

Jeez Borys, quit being a jackoff. He answers that pretty fucking straight forward.

The one for terain, cities and large structures is equivilent to the highest settings on the PC version. The one for grass, people, misc. objects and high detail trees is not. You might as well ask exactly how many yards difference is the fade in on the grass, people, misc. objects and high detail trees comparing between the PC and 360 version.

He wasnt beating around the bush and your being a dick.

512 of Ram compared to 1, 1.5 or 2 Gigs of Ram can kinda hold you back. :)

For me I think the Xbox 360 will run it a bit better and prettier than my AMD64 2800+ and 6800GT. Perhaps sometime in the future when I'm rich and famous I'll buy a new PC and enjoy the PC-version with its several feet longer drawdistance and mods.

eso76

no new screenshots ? : \ 1 week and 6 days movies were accompanied by 3 new sshots, i guess that spoiled me.

Also, have the uber lush forests gone ? Woods i've seen in these countdown trailers were good but with much less vegetation than, say:

649_0002.jpg

649_0003.jpg

do these screenshot still represent what the game looks like and it's just different settings or have things been simplified a bit ?

SiegfriedFM said:
I actually had an Oblivion dream tonight. I played it co-op with voice chat and had a real good time. Obviously that won't happen but it would be interesting. Perhaps a mod for the PC version could add it, like with the PC versions of GTA?

Actually, I can see myself using several channels of private chat much more than I do now, just whilst playing Oblivion. "Oh, dude, I am like two clicks west of Kvetch and there's the most amazing dungeon ever. Oh? What? Where did you find that piece of armor. Oh, okay, sweet."

It's going to be like a living message board thread as you play it. A LUCID DREAM IN FOUR DIMENSIONS.

Sorry to bring up a hot GRAW topic at the moment, but does anyone know if this game supports Southpaw? Not for me, but my bast mate has already had to let GRAW waltz past him, and I think he'll torch his 360 in a ritual sacrifice if the same goes for this one (he bought his 360 pretty much for these 2 games).

I have loved following this thread. I wasn't sure if I would really like the game, as I've always thought I needed games with a very clear (linear) story to follow and the idea of just going off into the world doing waht seemed inane tasks (searching for herbs etc) didn't really appeal. However, of all things, Animal Crossing WW has me now totally convinced. It's the first game I've tried in a long time that involves being able to just do things your own way, and I am hooked. Now the idea of collecting rare plants to make my potions with, in a world as expansive as Oblivion...well let's just say I cannot wait :)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Actually, I can see myself using several channels of private chat much more than I do now, just whilst playing Oblivion. "Oh, dude, I am like two clicks west of Kvetch and there's the most amazing dungeon ever. Oh? What? Where did you find that piece of armor. Oh, okay, sweet."<<<

So, basically, you want to play a MMORPG? There are a bunch of those out there.

shpankey

not an idiot
SteveMeister said:
Borys said:

wow, not too quick on the uptake are ya Borys. :lol it's also sad that this is that important to you.

Top Bottom