• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
They should throw them up on filefront everyday at video launch as that site has enough bandwidth for everybody.

Searching for mirrors..

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Not bad. To be picky, some lip syncing isn't perfect, but far from being annoying. Looks great, really.

And, yeah, the idiot line was pretty funny.. I wonder if it's a coincidence. :lol

The waiting, it's so.. damn.. hard.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ok, the way the pupils dart around is really freaking me out.

And that's a good thing.

Pimpbaa

AzureRonin said:
Thanks for the mirror.

One thing I noticed about the voice acting is that the different races don't have as harsh accents as they did in Morrowind. For example the DUnmer sounds pretty imperial, not gravely like in Morrowind.

All the races look very nice, too bad we didn't see any Altmer or Bosmer though.

Redguards sound exactly the same tho.

Pimpbaa said:
Redguards sound exactly the same tho.

Yeah I noticed that too, it's mostly all the same voice actors. The Redguard looks really good though. Man when I think about the original faces in Morrowind and comapre them to these I just can't complain.

Wolffen

SteveMeister said:
It's Sean Bean.

Really?! I was wondering if that was him, but it sounded more like Oded Fehr to me.

Peter O said:
:Our guide is #65 on amazons top 100 book list o_O

: i'm not sure a strat guide has ever done that.

It was up to #34 this morning.

Probably people like me willing to wait a few days for it if we can get it for $11.99. :)

Kabuki Waq said:
am i racist becuase i wanna kill the tiger/ lion looking dude on sight.

"Please do not let my appearance...unnerve you."

Pellham

Banned
Borys said:
Thanks for the answer, MSFD. I can't wait :)

It's "wasn't" and "you're".

to be anal, there is no difference between wasnt and wasn't, however the distinction between your and you're is important.

Ark-AMN

Banned
The Argonian's got a real face-lift with the new generation. They have a cool reptillian sense about them without seeming dumb like in Morrowind.

Plus, I heard they also got rid of that really awkward "beast walk" that both the lizard and cat peoples had in Morrowind too.

It appears a German site has posted about 34 new pictures of the PC version of Oblivion and 2 new videos. Sadly, their site was nuked by all the official Oblivion board posters, but I come bringing some news.

Test Machine Specs
• Windows XP Pro
• AMD Athlon XP 2200+
• 1024 MB DDR RAM
• ATI Radeon 9800PRO 128 MB

We have tested Oblivion on a rather mediocre PC and were quite astonished by the impressive graphics and the still acceptable framerates.

[snip]

Important: Some settings like HDR, grass shadowing and shadow details couldn't be enabled due to hardware reasons. Antialiasing was disabled for performance reasons, face shadows too (they mean self shadowing i would guess) because they looked kind of awkward.

I also found some of the pictures (all done on a rig described above, so it's a bit fugly). Here's the Emperor:
1142698614_43771_original.jpg

They then did some comparisons of 1024x768 and 1280x1024:
Vergleich-1.jpg
Notice the extra grass on the higher resolution^^^
Vergleich-2.jpg

Vergleich-3.jpg

There's a few more. You just have to change the last number in the link (goes up to Vergleich-6.jpg).

Nice Staff:
1142698615_43776_original.jpg

Edit: The site is back up. WARNING: Pictures of Oblivion inside.

1024x768 pictures: http://justgamers.de/?page=gallery&gallery_id=1725
1280x1024 pictures: http://justgamers.de/?page=gallery&gallery_id=1724

"
It certainly looks good, although it stutters like hell. Does anyone know on what configuration this is running? (I assume it's not the same as the one from the screenshots.."

Well, I'd assume the stuttering might be due to video capture, unless they have it set up to capture it externally or something (I don't really know how all that works I just know FRAPS saps my Framerate inside any game).

Teknopathetic said:
"
It certainly looks good, although it stutters like hell. Does anyone know on what configuration this is running? (I assume it's not the same as the one from the screenshots.."

Well, I'd assume the stuttering might be due to video capture, unless they have it set up to capture it externally or something (I don't really know how all that works I just know FRAPS saps my Framerate inside any game).

yeah, they actually mentioned that on the site. The capture killed the framerate

syllogism

Teknopathetic said:
"

Yes, they actually stated that is why the video stutters. Otherwise it was running "pretty well".

edit: curses

u_neek

It looks extemely good in the video - apart from the stuttering of course. But damn, this has got to be the most beautiful game ever!

Pimpbaa

Oh, that german video gives you a bit more of a feel for the game. Definitely seems like morrowind except beautiful! This game is going to consume my life for a few weeks. Damn you bethesda!

Fraps halves the framerate, whatever it is, and maxes out at 30 fps I believe. And of course, it takes some CPU power and HDD communication to run. I wouldn't be too concerned about framerate problems because of that.

Borys

Banned
It stutters because of FRAPS. Try capturing anything under FRAPS (even Quake 1) - you will lose a large percentage of framerate just beacause it is capturing, compressing and writing to the HDD in the background.

I'm kinda shocked how well the engine is optimized judging by the comments on other sites/ forums.
Bethesda's first well written engine?

God speed with Fallout 3!

Borys said:
It stutters because of FRAPS. Try capturing anything under FRAPS (even Quake 1) - you will lose a large percentage of framerate just beacause it is capturing, compressing and writing to the HDD in the background.

I'm kinda shocked how well the engine is optimized judging by the comments on other sites/ forums.
Bethesda's first well written engine?

God speed with Fallout 3!

yeah seriously, morrowind is still out of control sometimes.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SteveMeister said:
So "Lockpick" is "Dietrich" in German? Awesome! The programmer who developed the lockpicking minigame has the last name Dietrich :D

Uh, well - I won't say it's true or not, but Translate Google didn't translate it as such.

Wario64 said:
Oblivion reg edition 360 - $45 at Compusa next week

Son of a bitch. Mine's already paid off at EB.

Arg!!! Got a link to where you saw that Wario?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I picked up the guide today. I figured it would be nice to have because this game is so massive. I'm glad I picked it up. As others have said, it is extremely well done.

Its 368 pages and it includes:

Character recipes
Maps
Walkthroughs for every quest in the game
Sections devoted to all of the gameplay systems (combat, stealth, alchemy, spellmaking, enchantment, magic, vampirism, etc)
Equipment lists
Beastiary

Baron Aloha said:
I picked up the guide today. I figured it would be nice to have because this game is so massive. I'm glad I picked it up. As others have said, it is extremely well done.

Its 368 pages and it includes:

Character recipes
Maps
Walkthroughs for every quest in the game
Sections devoted to all of the gameplay systems (combat, stealth, alchemy, spellmaking, enchantment, magic, vampirism, etc)
Equipment lists
Beastiary

I love the changes they made to vampirism in Oblivion. It's majorly improved over Morrowind.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy shit, I hope my rig can run the game much prettier than the german pics listed above. Yikes. Otherwise, I might wind up getting the X360 version as well. :/

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Vyse The Legend said:
I love the changes they made to vampirism in Oblivion. It's majorly improved over Morrowind.

Ooooh, I can't wait! I thought that maybe I'd become a vampire with my first character. I loved it in Morrowind, but damned if I didn't always wish for more quests, as there were only 3 vampire clans and you could only choose one (as far as I know).

Top Bottom