• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Pimpbaa said:
Oooooh, very cool news.

If you're curious, here's a rundown:

When you become a vampire, you now have a bloodsucking animation and attack. It's no longer some crappy drain life spell. As time passes and you don't feed, your appearance begins to detiorate. If you feed at least once a day, you will stay normal looking. As a result, people will treat you normally and won't know you're a vampire. In Morrowind, as soon as you became a vampire, people shunned you and wouldn't even talk to you. Now it's possible to stay among the living. IAlso if you stay well-fed, the sun won't harm you at all.

Perhaps the best feature is that the longer you go without feeding, the more skills and stats you gain. If you go one day without feeding, you earn Vampire Sight, which is a mix of nightvision and detect life (see people's auras through walls and such). If you miss 2 days, you gain a high level charm spell to trick your prey. If you miss 3 days, you gain the Reign of Terror, which silences and demoralizes all the people around you. If you miss 4 days, you gain the ability to be invisible for 3 full minutes, as well as nighteye for 1 min and half. In addition, your stat bonuses increase with time. It goes from +5 to +20 for most of your skills and stats. That's a major boost.

jarosh

Mejilan said:
Holy shit, I hope my rig can run the game much prettier than the german pics listed above. Yikes. Otherwise, I might wind up getting the X360 version as well. :/
i will only translate for you what "höchst mögliche detailstufe" means. it means "highest possible setting". draw your own conclusions.

Pimpbaa

Vyse The Legend said:
If you're curious, here's a rundown:

When you become a vampire, you now have a bloodsucking animation and attack. It's no longer some crappy drain life spell. As time passes and you don't feed, your appearance begins to detiorate. If you feed at least once a day, you will stay normal looking. As a result, people will treat you normally and won't know you're a vampire. In Morrowind, as soon as you became a vampire, people shunned you and wouldn't even talk to you. Now it's possible to stay among the living. IAlso if you stay well-fed, the sun won't harm you at all.

Perhaps the best feature is that the longer you go without feeding, the more skills and stats you gain. If you go one day without feeding, you earn Vampire Sight, which is a mix of nightvision and detect life (see people's auras through walls and such). If you miss 2 days, you gain a high level charm spell to trick your prey. If you miss 3 days, you gain the Reign of Terror, which silences and demoralizes all the people around you. If you miss 4 days, you gain the ability to be invisible for 3 full minutes, as well as nighteye for 1 min and half. In addition, your stat bonuses increase with time. It goes from +5 to +20 for most of your skills and stats. That's a major boost.

Very cool. Is there a point where if you don't feed long enough you die?

"i will only translate for you what "höchst mögliche detailstufe" means. it means "highest possible setting". "

It should also be noted that highest possible settings for a 2200 Athlon XP and a 9800 Pro aren't the same as a AMD x2 and 7800GTX SLI.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Very cool. Is there a point where if you don't feed long enough you die?

Damn, do vampires have to feed? Like in the old vampire stories? I thought they were immortal? Sounds like the game actually rewards this behaviour. Maybe they do it because as you go longer without feeding - you can't be in the sun at all or something. You will become a true creature of the night - and have to hide perhaps while the sun is out. Very interesting.

If thats how it works that is. Heh, I don't know diddly

MmmBeef

Running an Athlon XP Mobile 2500 clocked at 2.2 with 1 gig of ram and a vanilla 9600 card (yeah, yeah, Black Friday sale from a couple of years ago). I am at least six months away from actually building a new rig but Oblivion hits next week. The idea of spending $200+ on an AGP card at this point is ridiculous but I'd like to be able to run it with SOME effects on and a decent frame rate. Resolution isn't an issue. Should I be looking at some less modern chipsets, like something in the X800GTO range or is the lack of SM 3.0 for Oblivion going to be a real deal breaker? Do I hold out for a 7600gt AGP that's been rumored for the summer? Or should I just suck it up and play the game on my current setup with the knowledge that it will look and play tons better later on this year? I feel really hamstrung. I guess the moral of this story is getting the best GPU you can afford during a build really eases the pain of transitions.

Steve or Vark, any tips? The shots from the German site above do give me a little hope. How would a vanilla 6800 run this? What's more important, bandwidth or modern features?

Sugarman said:
The game has only 1000 characters, right? It could be tricky to play in the way mentioned in the spoiler marks.

I think it has 1000 unique NPCS but a bunch of random NPCs like "Guard" who respawn.

Dr_Cogent said:
Damn, do vampires have to feed? Like in the old vampire stories? I thought they were immortal? Sounds like the game actually rewards this behaviour. Maybe they do it because as you go longer without feeding - you can't be in the sun at all or something. You will become a true creature of the night - and have to hide perhaps while the sun is out. Very interesting.

If thats how it works that is. Heh, I don't know diddly

Forgot to mention that. The longer you go without feeding, the more the sun hurts you. SO yes, you become a full creature of the night. Also, you start to look uglier and the NPCs take notice and start avoiding you. Also as far as I know, you won't die if you don't feed.

RegularMK

Vampirism sounds like it has a good system worked out, but
wouldn't it make more sense if your powers were brought on by feeding? It seems strange that starving makes you more powerful.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
RegularMK said:
wouldn't it make more sense if your powers were brought on by feeding? It seems strange that starving makes you more powerful.

As time passes, you become more of a creature of the night. You're forced into those abilities, and that extra power. Plus, it adds some cool gameplay choices. Become totally changed, and avoid civilization, until you realize you need to talk to someone. He shuns you for your current state, so you go and feed, weakening you, but allowing you to talk to him and progress, and as you go on you slowly regress back into the creature of the night you are.

I'm creating a character (prolly one of a dozen or so I have right now) just for it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
RegularMK said:

Not really. It does kind of make sense as is. Vampirism is a curse or disease that requires you to feed off (human?) blood in order to survive. The less you feed, the more pronounced the disease/curse becomes, for good and for ill. By feeding, you're satisfying the curse/disease, and thus won't suffer from either the good (magic, boosts) or ill (appearance, sun sensitivity) effects.

RegularMK said:

In the world of Elder Scrolls, vampirism is a disease more than anything else. So you must feed to retain your dwindling humanity and health. While you do gain abilities the "sicker" you get, it also makes you an ugly beast that can't go in the sun and is very weak to fire (through RAI, NPCs will capitalize on this weakness, I'm sure). Plus, it makes you a permanent outcast to society.

Also, on a purely design level, allowing you to feed and gain all the uber abilities while staying human-looking would be way too much. There has to be a cost for such great gain. I think they definitely balanced it this time.

Krowley

Mejilan said:
Not really. It does kind of make sense as is. Vampirism is a curse or disease that requires you to feed off (human?) blood in order to survive. The less you feed, the more pronounced the disease/curse becomes, for good and for ill. By feeding, you're satisfying the curse/disease, and thus won't suffer from either the good (magic, boosts) or ill (appearance, sun sensitivity) effects.

also it's sort of darwinian in a way... if you go without feeding for a while, the curse compensates by making you more powerfull, AND making things more difficult for you... It's harder not to feed because of the sun and the shunning... and at the same time, the actual feeding is easier because you are stronger. it's a pretty nifty system IMO, or at least it sounds that way

Pimpbaa

I'm curious if when NPCs see you when haven't been feeding for a while, do you automatically get flagged as a being a known vampire (much like being a werewolf in the morrowind expansion).

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Pimpbaa said:
I'm curious if when NPCs see you when haven't been feeding for a while, do you automatically get flagged as a being a known vampire (much like being a werewolf in the morrowind expansion).

That's pretty much the point. After not feeding a while, you start to show your vampirisism. But, after you just, ahem, "ate", you can walk through towns like normal.

Pimpbaa

SnakeXs said:
That's pretty much the point. After not feeding a while, you start to show your vampirisism. But, after you just, ahem, "ate", you can walk through towns like normal.

That's not what I meant. In the bloodmoon expansion for Morrowind, if NPCs saw you transform into a werewolf you were screwed because every NPC would know you were a werewolf from then on and attack you on sight regardless if you were in human form. I was wondering that if NPCs see you in town all ugly and obviously as a vampire, will they still know if you come back looking more human.

mikeGFG

Banned
For those of us dying during 360 March Madness:

Heres that CompUSA deal Wario was talking about:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88187
compusa.jpg

Would it be too scandalous to have Best Buy price match this for 110%, then use an addition 10% coupon afterwards? $37 dollar Oblivion? :D

Pimpbaa

Mike G.E.D. said:

compusa.jpg

Would it be too scandalous to have Best Buy price match this for 110%, then use an addition 10% coupon afterwards? $37 dollar Oblivion? :D

Holy crap! Whats with the massive price difference between the 360 and PC versions?!

Edit: I'm an idiot. The 360 version listed is the collectors edition.

The video didn't exactly sell me on it. Sound fx were still a mess and It looks like Morrowind with better gfx. Not the world beating GOTY I was expecting. Oh well.

_Angelus_

Banned
Count Chocula said:
The video didn't exactly sell me on it. Sound fx were still a mess and It looks like Morrowind with better gfx. Not the world beating GOTY I was expecting. Oh well.

What? So GT5 won't look like GT4 with better visuals? The new Zelda won't look like past Zeldas? Final fantasy won't look like previous versions?

You expect it to be Game of the year,allright. And yet for such high expectations your posting history shows you have never even discussed this game.
:lol

Angelus said:
What? So GT5 won't look like GT4 with better visuals? The new Zelda won't look like past Zeldas? Final fantasy won't look like previous versions?

Those games have heavy storyline that will be different each time. Morrowind was never really about the characters or story for me it was more about the experience and from the video the experience looks very familiar.

GT5 is a driving game. Improved graphics ARE the experience.

For Oblivion I would expect to see better animation to start with. Better colision detection, more immersion. More "living" environment.
The video I just watched looked like it could be from a Morrowind expansion. Did I watch the wrong video?

You expect it to be Game of the year,allright. And yet for such high expectations your posting history shows you have never even discussed this game.
:lol

Wow do I need post in every topic of games that Im following? Dont worry, I wont be posting in any more Obvlion topics because it looks like I'll be passing on this one.

Count Chocula said:
Those games have heavy storyline that will be different each time. Morrowind was never really about the characters or story for me it was more about the experience and from the video the experience looks very familiar.

If it drives like shit Im not going to play it, doesnt matter how good it looks. And Im still waiting for some realistic damage models. And something like PGR: Europe (like ALL of Europe) would definitely tickle my fancy, so even in racing games, there's still lots to be improved besides GFX.

eso76

Count Chocula said:

For Oblivion I would expect to see better animation to start with. Better colision detection, more immersion. More "living" environment.

Totally disagree, better graphics mean more immersion *especially* in a game like morrowind/oblivion where 70% of the game's charm is in its atmosphere and in the beauty of the places you'll visit; graphics will make you want to explore the entire tamriel, and quite honestly i can't think of another game where visuals would be so important.

Better graphics in GT will only make you want to watch replays and they will add very little to the gaming experience, once the excitement wears off.

And, of course, that's if we assume oblivion is just like morrowind with better graphics, which it isn't.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Mike G.E.D. said:

compusa.jpg

I'm so conflicted. I have the game paid off at EB. I have it guaranteed to me on release. I have gift cards to Best Buy though, and they always pricematch right if I can provide the ad to prove it? But then I leave myself open to not getting the game in case more get to it before I do.

What do I do!?

Also, a question:

Can Vampirism be cured completely allowing you to become a regular person again - or is it permanent?

mikeGFG

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
I'm so conflicted. I have the game paid off at EB. I have it guaranteed to me on release. I have gift cards to Best Buy though, and they always pricematch right if I can provide the ad to prove it? But then I leave myself open to not getting the game in case more get to it before I do.

What do I do!?

They always pricematch (100%) if you have the ad. If you already purchased the said item from bestbuy, then present the ad to them within a week of purchase, they pricematch an additional 10%. Now I'm not sure they'll honor the 10% off coupon ontop of all that (but you can damn well try.) But youre pretty much guaranteed ~$20 savings.

I scooped up GRAW from Best Buy on day one and they had 20+ copies left; you'll be fine.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Mike G.E.D. said:
They always pricematch (100%) if you have the ad. If you already purchased the said item from bestbuy, then present the ad to them within a week of purchase, they pricematch an additional 10%. Now I'm not sure they'll honor the 10% off coupon ontop of all that (but you can damn well try.) But youre pretty much guaranteed ~$20 savings.

I scooped up GRAW from Best Buy on day one and they had 20+ copies left; you'll be fine.

I got it figured out. I will keep my pre-order at EB for now. Come Tuesday, I will try to finnagle the game at Best Buy with the coupon. If I manage to, I'll just hop on over to EB, and get my money back! If I can't get it at Best Buy - I still will have the game day one!

w00t!

Hey Steve,

I saw this picture over on that german site that is supposedly a comparison between a 9800 Pro on Medium settings and on "highest possible" settings..

http://www.justgamers.de/kmx/modul_cms/uploads/article/new/pc/Vergleich-2.jpg

I think it looks good for the most part, but something looks wrong with that hill texture farther away from the player.

is there a chance that that is some kind of a driver bug or does the lod really drop off that fast? Hopefully it doesn't look like that on newer hardware.. the contrast is a little jarring.

Question for anyone who works at GameStop. Will the game be sold tomorrow in the store or are they just mailing out the copies for people who pre-ordered online. I got blue balled the last time I reserved a copy of a game at the store, they didn't give me mine till the day after the pre-release day on the website.

atomsk

Party Pooper
it depends on the gamestop.

i know the ones in my area will have it after 5pm tomorrow. they're all driving out to the airport to get it

atomsk said:
it depends on the gamestop.

i know the ones in my area will have it after 5pm tomorrow. they're all driving out to the airport to get it
Ok thanks. Come on GameStop robowoman, call me up today!

yeah, I'm hoping to hear from EB today.. but something tells me they're going to be lazy and won't go pick up their shipment.. they'll just wait for it to arrive on Tuesday

At which point, I'll check other local stores on Monday and if they have it, I'll buy it there and cancel my pre-order at EB :lol

Robobandit said:
At which point, I'll check other local stores on Monday and if they have it, I'll buy it there and cancel my pre-order at EB :lol
I was thinking if GameStop doesn't have it tomorrow I will go to CompUSA and see if they have it there for that lower price. If they do then I will buy it there and cancel my reserved copy. I am just too scared to cancel my reserved copy to try and get it cheaper because I always get screwed somehow.

Maybe I am reading this wrong and I am a complete idiot, but I think my CircuitCity made a mistake:

Is it not showing the regular edition for $40?!
rsc385.jpg

_Angelus_

Banned
Damn we have no Comp U.S.A. in this area - it would have been nice saving a few bucks on the game since I was planning to pick up an extra 360 pad this week.

Usuaully I don't pick up strategy guides but this'll be the exception. The maps alone would be worth the purchase. How is the illustrated art in this one? Hopefully its pretty nice.

Angelus said:
Damn we have no Comp U.S.A. in this area - it would have been nice saving a few bucks on the game since I was planning to pick up an extra 360 pad this week.

Usuaully I don't pick up strategy guides but this'll be the exception. The maps alone would be worth the purchase. How is the illustrated art in this one? Hopefully its pretty nice.

It's all in color, and well stocked with screenshots--typically 2 or 3 per page (with imbedded maps sometimes subbing for screens in the Main Quest section). :)

Peter

_Angelus_

Banned
Peter Olafson said:
It's all in color, and well stocked with screenshots--typically 2 or 3 per page (with imbedded maps sometimes subbing for screens in the Main Quest section). :)

Peter

I was leaning towards getting it - just needed a little nudge of reassurance. The last guide I bought was Panzer Dragoon Orta and they so skimped out on the art plus its layout was sort of a mess in my opinion. So much that it had a bad effect since it left me somewhat jaded to other guides. Its good to see you guys going for a quality guide for the game,makes me feel better about picking it up. :D

Top Bottom