• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

raYne

blindrocket said:
I know that this thread has achieved holy status but should there be a PS3 version thread? Otherwise there's going to be a whole lot of retreading for those of us that haven't touched Oblivion yet.
I want this game so badly, it will be my second PS3 game after Resistance and I really hope I can pick it up on the 20th.
There's an "Official VF5 (PS3) thread", so I don't see why not. It'd make sense since they'd be starting fresh and would just have the exact same questions and discussion that's taken place in this one. At the very least, it'd make info easier to find.

This one would still remain open for Shivering Isles (and vanilla Oblivion) 360/PC discussion as usual of course.

Plus I don't want those types sullying my thread. You should've bought it long ago! *shakes fist*

GhaleonEB said:
I think it makes sense for there to be a PS3 thread, since most of the chatter in this thread will be about Shivering Isles and that will muddy things up. But who knows, we didn't have a seperate PC thread and there's a lot of discrete discussion about that version and mods in the mix. If someone makes a PS3 thread it will probably stay open and active. (But it won't be very big. :p )
I agree, that's what I was thinking. And weren't the 360 and PC versions released around the same time? They could kind of go through it together, where as us PS3 Oblivion players will be talking about a LOT of newbie stuff. Hehe.

GhaleonEB

blindrocket said:
I agree, that's what I was thinking. And weren't the 360 and PC versions released around the same time? They could kind of go through it together, where as us PS3 Oblivion players will be talking about a LOT of newbie stuff. Hehe.
Yup, they were released together. I was an ES newbie and it can be intimidating. How will people know not to sell the Varla stones if they dive into this thread? :lol

Edit: your official thread sucks. Needs pics, info, release date, etc. :p

I posted the release date in my original post, sorry you guys missed it.
And I also apologize for not posting pics and some other information but I can't copy/past with the PS3 browser, otherwise I would.

GhaleonEB

blindrocket said:
I posted the release date in my original post, sorry you guys missed it.
And I also apologize for not posting pics and some other information but I can't copy/past with the PS3 browser, otherwise I would.
I really want to make some snarky comment about how appropriate the thread is then, but I won't. Ooops. :lol

blindrocket said:
Alright, I started a new thread. Gods and Mods be willing it will stay open. :)

Dude, please do some work, and update your PS3 Oblivion thread. You are insulting greatness of this game by creating that soulless thread. Start improving it because - The fate of the world rests in the hands of one. Help others to - Find him and close shut the jaws of oblivion. :)

Y2Kevbug11 said:
So what should I make my new character? I believe I was a Dunmer last time.

If you don't want to worry about disease, poison, and water breathing, choose Argonian. It's a big relief.

Other than that, I think mods should update thread title to include Shivering Isles in the title, and remove (Go, 10,000!).

Just more one and half week..... :) :) :) :) :)

How much is Shivering Isles again? I've got 1900 pts right now but 800 of them will be used up on Wednesday when SOTN hits. Seems like all I bought this month has been points for marketplace crap.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
How much is Shivering Isles again? I've got 1900 pts right now but 800 of them will be used up on Wednesday when SOTN hits. Seems like all I bought this month has been points for marketplace crap.

2400 points

MirageDwarf said:
Dude, please do some work, and update your PS3 Oblivion thread. You are insulting greatness of this game by creating that soulless thread. Start improving it because - The fate of the world rests in the hands of one. Help others to - Find him and close shut the jaws of oblivion. :)
Please see my post, #11115 on this page. :)

GhaleonEB

All I'm buying this month is Live stuff. TMNT, SotN, Shivering Isles. That's $45 right there. 0_0

Odrion

Banned
Shivering Isles is coming this next week? O____________O

Sure is fun never paying attention to release dates. One of these days I'll just be walking in Best Buy and I'll look to my left and Super Mario Galaxy and Metal Gear Solid 4 will be in the stands, and I'll say "huh."

GhaleonEB

Odrion said:
Whoops, I was reading Amirox's starting post and didn't catch the 2006.
I didn't realize Shivering Isles is coming out so close to the one year anniversary of the release. Would have been cool if they'd gotten it out on that date.

Bruce Nesmith who is the Director of Design for Bethesda talked to On The Box about Shivering Isles. It was posted on March 15th.

http://www.onthexbox.com/article67.html

There are some things that work differently in the Shivering Isles, though. For example, crime and punishment are different. Any bounty that you have in Cyrodiil is ignored in the Shivering Isles, and vice versa. So if you have a large price on your head, you might want to consider vacationing with Sheogorath. If you are caught committing a crime in his lands, you aren’t sent to jail. Instead you are dropped into the bottom of a dungeon, without any of your stuff. You can still choose to sleep it off and get everything back, or you can try and make it out of the dungeon. If you do escape, all is forgiven and your stuff is in a chest by the exit door. You are considered to have served your time.

Since it is an island, there are many more aquatic creatures than there are in Oblivion. Some of them can even regenerate in water. Familiar faces like the Golden Saints and Dark Seducers from Morrowind are featured in the Shivering Isles. There are also many totally new creatures, such as the Gnarls, which are living trees, or the Elytra, which are giant insects reminiscent of preying mantises.

Even the human encounters have some fresh takes. The Zealots and Heretics wear special robes. If you put on these robes, the Zealots and Heretics will think you are just one of them and not attack. Don’t get too close though…if they get a good look at you, they’ll see through the disguise and pounce.

Since the Shivering Isles is a land of madness, every character you encounter is not quite right in the head. This leads to many unusual and interesting situations. For example, there is the Orc that is terrified of cats. Unfortunately for him, he has a Khajiit stalker fan. In one of the other quests, the Duchess of Dementia is convinced someone is out to get her. She loans you her court torturer and sends you out into town to pry information out of the citizens. If you don’t like what they have to say, you can have them tortured until they confess.

There are about 30 new quests. Half of them form the main story line involving Sheogorath and his need for a champion to help him stop the Greymarch. The other half are scattered throughout the land for the player to find.

We are very proud of our musical score and the awards it has won. However, we ultimately decided not to add any new music for the Shivering Isles.

Oblivion had closer to 2000 NPCs, including villains like the bandits and conjurers. There are another 400 or so NPCs added by the Shivering Isles. Some of them are guys you can talk to, some of them, like the Zealots and Heretics, are more interested in slitting your throat. We used about the same number of voice actors as we did in Oblivion, but none of them are famous names.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
OTX: With the recent rule by Microsoft saying that a full 1000-point retail game can add 250 points to it Bethesda announced that you guys were adding achievement points to Shivering Isles. Can you tell us what the achievements will be? How much they will be worth? How many there will be?

BN: We were very excited when Microsoft told us we could add achievement points. As you complete quests for Sheogorath in the main quest, you will move up in rank through the Court of Madness faction. Each time you gain a new rank you will get an achievement. There are 10 ranks you can get, for a total of 250 achievement points.

This disappoints me slightly, I was hoping that they would include achievements that amounted to more than just progressing through a quest line. Something like "Collect 1000 Daedra Hearts" or "Fall At Least 2000 Feet" would have been hilarious and/or fun.

Don't get me wrong, I love that we are getting stuff above the 1000 achievement mark, but still...

A new Official Oblivion Thread doens't begin until I say so! ;)

Perfect Birthday Present for you next week Ghaleon! :D Seeing as I'll be in Africa though, I think I'll wait until my return to grab it. In case you guys miss my presence, you'll know where I'm at! :D

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
A new Official Oblivion Thread doens't begin until I say so! ;)

Perfect Birthday Present for you next week Ghaleon! :D Seeing as I'll be in Africa though, I think I'll wait until my return to grab it. In case you guys miss my presence, you'll know where I'm at! :D
I'll cover for you. :p

GhaleonEB said:
I'll cover for you. :p

Some how I knew you and raYne would handle it! :)

Now if I can keep from dying on Kilimanjaro, I'll have something to look forward to upon my return to civilization. Too bad the PSP version of Oblivion wasn't coming out this week. I could pick it up to play on the plane.

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of Oblivion. Cue the hats, horns, and festoonery.

Man, a year already. Time just flys by. Seems just like yesterday that I took the day off work to pick up the game and play it. I remember wasting half the day with the character creator alone.

Easily my favorite game of last year, and I'm sure plenty of PS3 owners are going to be very happy with the purchase.

This thread speaks for itself.

GhaleonEB

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of Oblivion. Cue the hats, horns, and festoonery.

Man, a year already. Time just flys by. Seems just like yesterday that I took the day off work to pick up the game and play it. I remember wasting half the day with the character creator alone.
I had a bit of a nostalgia fest last night, when I made my new character I'm going to use for the expansion. I distinctly remember being overwhelmed at every corner - character creation, dungoen detail, scale of the overworld. Going to the capital city and fully exploring it took me an entire day - as in, half my weekend, not an in-game day.

And here we are, a year later, and I'm all fired up to dive back in. Can't. Wait. :D

ResistanceChampagne.gif

I can't wait to get to some Shiverin'!

My only hope is that our PS3 brothers and sisters can bring themselves to accept that this is the one true thread for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and we may all share in the joy of this luverly game.

J-Rzez

blindrocket said:
Not at home. At home I'm 100% Playstation 3, which obviously has a few kinks such as no copy/paste. :lol

Eh, at least it has a browser built into, so I wouldn't complain too much... Maybe install Linux on it?

GhaleonEB said:
I had a bit of a nostalgia fest last night, when I made my new character I'm going to use for the expansion. I distinctly remember being overwhelmed at every corner - character creation, dungoen detail, scale of the overworld. Going to the capital city and fully exploring it took me an entire day - as in, half my weekend, not an in-game day.

And here we are, a year later, and I'm all fired up to dive back in. Can't. Wait. :D
Level up your character a bit. You don't want to miss leveled items.

BenjaminBirdie said:
ResistanceChampagne.gif

I can't wait to get to some Shiverin'!

My only hope is that our PS3 brothers and sisters can bring themselves to accept that this is the one true thread for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and we may all share in the joy of this luverly game.

I was hoping for the same. But then I thought that only this thread will have a true legendary status. :)

Even after one year, I'm playing this game frequently. My current character is at level 34. I still have few skills to max out, which I will in Shivering Isles. In addition to that, most of my minor skills are at low level. I got PC version too. So with all mods, I'll be playing it for a long time.

Phthisis

DXMachina said:
Where can I purchase lockpicks?

Walk past the stables right outside the capital gate. Right next to the city walls is a guy named Shady Sam who will sell them to you in batches of 30.

Also, I can't imagine buying an expansion to this game. It's big enough as it is. I'm at the 70 hour mark, still haven't done the main quest beyond the Weynon Priory segment available right as you leave the sewers. I've only been to 4 cities, and have not even explored much of the wilderness (nothing in the south below Cropsford). It's all so much. I think I could play this game for another year before I even feel the need to buy Shivering Isles.

I can understand that PS3 players may be a bit intimidated by the size of this thread and trying to find info in here. But just think how much more of a chance we have of reaching 20k posts if they would join us in here! :)

I encouraged them to come join us! :D

Phthisis said:
Also, I can't imagine buying an expansion to this game. It's big enough as it is. I'm at the 70 hour mark, still haven't done the main quest beyond the Weynon Priory segment available right as you leave the sewers. I've only been to 4 cities, and have not even explored much of the wilderness (nothing in the south below Cropsford). It's all so much. I think I could play this game for another year before I even feel the need to buy Shivering Isles.

Well, some of us HAVE been playing for a year. Most of the regulars in here have clocked well beyond 150 hours in the game, and have explored the game end to end more than once. We're ready for more content.

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:
Level up your character a bit. You don't want to miss leveled items.
Nah, I prefer the challenge of those first ten levels or so, when gold is actually scarce and a weapon that has 1 point of incremental damage is a noticeable improvement. I'm treating the expansion like a whole new game.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, what was the verdict on KotN? I'm thinking of getting is to get ready for SI, and get me back in the Oblivion groove... Not that it'll take much, with the many hundreds of hours already under my belt. :lol

GhaleonEB

SnakeXs said:
So, what was the verdict on KotN? I'm thinking of getting is to get ready for SI, and get me back in the Oblivion groove... Not that it'll take much, with the many hundreds of hours already under my belt. :lol
It's a questline/faction similar to the four already in the main game. It does some cool stuff by making you find some places that are not marked on your map (just on a little scrap you are given as an item), and there are some puzzles you have to solve on your own, without help or tips. Plus, a new enemy, new weapons, a new set of armor, a few new dungeons and new charaters. What is there is very good. However, it's brief. I'd say the questline took me ~8 hours to play through, and I really took my time with it. So it's up to you if that's worth $10. I did it as a way to hold me over until Shivering Isles hit, but that was last month.

I was searching on the Elder Scrolls forum and found this link: http://www.oblivion.gr/forums/index.php?page=25

Bruce Nesmith said:
The Shivering Isles requires the second patch. In that patch, we have improved the distant landscape. We have improved load times. We’ve fixed dozens of minor bugs, most of which only a few players would ever have found anyway.
Bethesda did not mention this officially. Did it? This is good news if true.

Top Bottom