• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

There are all kinds of new weapons to be found already made in the world too. There is Ruin’s Edge, a bow that will afflict a player with random effects. There is Duskfang/Dawnfang, a sword that counts it’s kills and gets more powerful. All told there are about 200 new weapons and 80 or so pieces of armor, many of which have different versions for different levels they might found at.

holy crap this is amazing.

I hope the 80 pieces of armour are varying types though. you know a few new sets of heavy and light.

GreekWolf

And don't forget that -

The Shivering Isles will let players make custom armor and weapons. In each side of the city there is a smith that can forge armor and weapons out of raw materials that you find in the world. The smith in Bliss (mania part of New Sheoth) can forge Amber weapons and armor out of raw Amber. The smith in Crucible (dementia part of New Sheoth) can forge Madness weapons and armor out of raw Madness Ore. Amber makes light armor, and Madness Ore makes heavy armor. Each smith has a full suit on display.
There's my killer app.

nubbe

9. Seeing as Oblivion is rated M now do you have any plans to add more mature content to Shivering Isles?
When we make content for any of the Elder Scrolls titles, we don’t concern ourselves with the rating. We make the best game we can. Making a good game always comes first. We let the ESRB put whatever rating on it they want. But the type and amount of content is the same in Shivering Isles as it was in Oblivion, as far as the rating and content descriptors go.

Excellent!

GhaleonEB said:
I plan on putting those two together. Was leaning towards an evil character, but those sealed if for me. :lol

wwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I WAS GOING TO QUOTE THE SAME SHIT!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I swear this is the first expansion for a game I REALLY sunk my teeth into so I am so incredibly hyped for this. For that sick badass sword alone. ZOMFG.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
I WAS GOING TO QUOTE THE SAME SHIT!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I swear this is the first expansion for a game I REALLY sunk my teeth into so I am so incredibly hyped for this. For that sick badass sword alone. ZOMFG.
You and I have alarmingly similar tastes in games, and not just titles like Oblivion and Crackdown. Rather, specific elements of those games - Tetris Docks, kickass Oblivion sword. It's nice to see someone so aligned to my interests...and kinda creepy at the same time. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
You and I have alarmingly similar tastes in games, and not just titles like Oblivion and Crackdown. Rather, specific elements of those games - Tetris Docks, kickass Oblivion sword. It's nice to see someone so aligned to my interests...and kinda creepy at the same time. :lol

Yeah, for reals.

*backs away slowly*

GhaleonEB

GreekWolf said:
Whoop, there it is.

Shivering Isles hitting Xbox Live on March 27th for 2400 points :)
Holy crap. I just realized the 27th is my birthday. I'd forgotten it's coming up (hey, I'm turning 30 cut me some slack) - my daughter just reminded me that my birthday is this month. :lol

Thanks, Bethesda! Wooooo!

Pazuzu

Banned
Now that they finally nailed down the PS3 release date, I pre-ordered my copy and took a couple vacation days off of work on 3/22 & 3/23. A year after it's release I finally get my chance to visit Cyrodiil. :)

Anyway, it seems like all the stuff I read recommends that for a balanced character to only choose Major skills that you're not going to use all the time, so you can control level. This seems bass ackwards, and not really...fun. Guess I'm more of a role-player. So...will I be screwed if I do try to role-play a thief and choose blade, light armor, security, sneak, and whatever else as my skills?

Phthisis

Pazuzu said:
Anyway, it seems like all the stuff I read recommends that for a balanced character to only choose Major skills that you're not going to use all the time, so you can control level. This seems bass ackwards, and not really...fun. Guess I'm more of a role-player. So...will I be screwed if I do try to role-play a thief and choose blade, light armor, security, sneak, and whatever else as my skills?

Nah. I picked Knight when I made my character and I've been fine on the leveling problem. The game got more challenging when I hit level 14 or so, sure, but it's not impossible or anything. I wouldn't worry about perfect leveling until you make a second character. My knight is based around strength and endurance, just like he's supposed to be. The trade-off is that I have less than 100 mana (which is good for one healing spell, or so), but that's the price I pay to have my endurance and strength maxed by level 18. Plus, you can still somewhat control you leveling even with pre-made classes.

teiresias

So I just started to try and play this game again on my PC. I absolutely love this game using the Natural Environments mod, but I'm going to rent the PS3 version and see if it runs any better. I tend to hover anywhere around 20-30fps outdoors, i have a dual core athlon and 2GB of RAM, but only an AGP X800GTO ATI card, so that's probably my bottleneck.

In any case, can someone tell me how to properly play this game? I suck at it. I figured I'd play through the first part of the main quest to start, so I get out of the tutorial dungeon and head through Imperial City to rest and head on my way to the Priory in Chorrol.

The character I'd made was a modified Battlemage Breton, with Light Armor as one of the seven skills, and I think conjuration removed from the normal template - I can't remember exactly. In any case, I can't even get to Chorrol, there's this bandit or whatnot that keeps demanding money and I don't even get the option to pay him (I'm assuming I somehow telepathically know I don't have enough to pay whatever he's asking), and I get my butt absolutely slaughtered.

I'd just walk around him, but that seems pretty un-role-playing like IMO. What's the best way to go about prepping a character? I even tried the dungeon you see immediately leaving out of the tutorial (across the river) and was fine with the people on the outside, but got my butt handed to me by the first person actually inside the dungeon. So frustrating. Maybe I should just play a straight fighter the first time or something.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You can run back down the hill after he attacks you and find one of the imperial patrol guards riding around. They'll attack the bandits for you.

syllogism

For all you thieves out there, Thieves Arsenal is finally out. It adds Water/Noise/Vine/Gas/Grease arrows, Blackjack and some great AI changes to make thieving more fun. For all the changes, check out the readme.

To complete the package the author recommends the following mods to be used:
- JOG's Stealth Overhaul or Attack and Hide: Both of these mods make it easier to hide during combat, but JOG's mod includes some additional improvements to the stealth system.

- Vaults of Cyrodiil: This mod adds well-guarded treasure vaults to the castles of Cyrodiil. The vaults are nearly impossible to plunder without engaging in combat; with the new tools provided by Thieves Arsenal, they are merely very challenging.

- Window Entrances: Allows you to sneak into houses through the windows. Currently only Anvil is implemented, but with a few vine arrows in your possession, this is a highly useful mod.

- Lockpicks: Grumblepunk's mod allows you to craft new lockpicks from useless metal clutter like tongs, shears, and forks. Never run out of lockpicks again!

Now that I'm upgrading my computer and Shivering Isles is upon us, I'm finally diving through the hundreds of mods and there's some amazing stuff out there. Doesn't look like the modding community is slowing down either.

edit: The Unique Landscape project rocks http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=652808

Also this looks pretty promising http://www.elderion.com/AEZARKA/concept.html

edit2: Rainbows!

edit3: and finally, Hilarity

Pete Hines mentioned in an interview the expansion was made with people's exisiting characters in mind but there is no problem with creating a new character and heading straight through the gates to shivering isles.

syllogism said:
For all you thieves out there, Thieves Arsenal is finally out. It adds Water/Noise/Vine/Gas/Grease arrows, Blackjack and some great AI changes to make thieving more fun. For all the changes, check out the readme.

To complete the package the author recommends the following mods to be used:

Grease Arrows

Banded to the tip of a grease arrow is a small, oil-filled sack. When the arrow is fired at the ground, the arrow head pierces this sack, releasing a slippery puddle of oil. Actors who walk through the puddle will slip and fall. If they fall far enough, they may be rendered unconscious and even take damage. If the actor is running, he will slide much further. Grease arrows are particularly effective when fired at the top of a flight of stairs, or in the path of an actor who is chasing you.

A direct hit with a grease arrow will soak your opponent in oil, which is highly flammable. Any Fire Damage spell which is cast upon the oil-drenched victim will then deal extra damage.

That's freakin awesome.

syllogism

These are old, albeit constantly updated, mods but damn they are impressive

Martigen's Monster Mod - Over 430M in 120+ brand new creatures and NPCs, 1500+ variant creatures and NPCs, unique encounters, advanced behaviour AI, advanced combat AI, tailored loot drops and more! - Trailer

Francesco's leveled creatures/items mod

Finally here's an excellent real estate mod site.

1156788277fullresqb2.jpg

1159900792fullresqg8.jpg

1159901085fullresxo8.jpg

1159912172fullresem9.jpg

1172534567fullresig1.jpg

1159912106fullresfa6.jpg

Some of those look amazing. One of the best reasons to play games on PC is the customizablitiy of the game sometimes. The Elder Scrolls have done great by allowing this and providing such amazing tools to play with.

It'll be interesting to see if Sony can pull these kinds of mods off since they seem to want to allow user created content on the PS3. It would be pretty cool if it would get to this point too.

syllogism

MirageDwarf said:
Man, that is awesome. I'll download this and that thief mod too. My character on PC is still at level 1. :)

You might want to give Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (+ patch) a look as well. You'll need this mod also to make all 3 mods (Francesco's, MMM & OOO) work together. Here's an excellent faq for more recommendations.

edit: oh, and Kobu's Character Advancement System

edit: :eek:
theislandwip32.jpg

http://www.lojdofgbg.com/annat/island/theislandwip24.jpg
http://www.lojdofgbg.com/annat/island/theislandwip20.jpg
http://www.lojdofgbg.com/annat/island/theislandwip40.jpg
http://www.lojdofgbg.com/annat/island/theislandwip35.jpg
http://www.lojdofgbg.com/annat/island/theislandwip37.jpg
http://www.lojdofgbg.com/annat/island/map.jpg

GhaleonEB

The Shivering Isles trailer is now up on Marketplace. It is niiiiice.

Twelve days to go! I'm creating my new character tonight. Going to take her through the opening dungeon and then stop there - I've decided to go straight into the new content with a level 1 character.

Going to be a very fast one-handed blade fighter, heavy emphasis on Destruction and Conjuration magic. I'm getting all excited again for a game I put 300 hours into. Well done, Bethesda.

dream

Shivering Isles achievements are up! I noticed my Oblivion achievements increased from 50 to 60 but I couldn't figure out how to view them until I compared my Oblivion to someone else's. If anyone's interested...

Tourist: Entered the Shivering Isles - 20
Aspirant: Reached Aspirant Rank in the Court of Madness - 20
Citizen: Reached Citizen Rank in the Court of Madness - 20
Madman: Reached Madman Rank in the Court of Madness - 20
Honored Madman: Reached Honored Madman Rank in the Court of Madness - 20
Duke Dementia: Reached Duke of Dementia Rank in the Court of Madness - 30
Duke Mania: Reached Duke of Mania Rank in the Court of Madness - 30
Regent: Reached Regent Rank in the Corut of Madness - 20
Defender: Reached Defender of the Realm Rank in the Court of Madness - 20
Madgod: Stopped the Greymarch - 50

GhaleonEB

dream said:
Shivering Isles achievements are up! I noticed my Oblivion achievements increased from 50 to 60 but I couldn't figure out how to view them until I compared my Oblivion to someone else's. If anyone's interested...

Tourist: Entered the Shivering Isles - 20
Aspirant: Reached Aspirant Rank in the Court of Madness - 20
Citizen: Reached Citizen Rank in the Court of Madness - 20
Madman: Reached Madman Rank in the Court of Madness - 20
Honored Madman: Reached Honored Madman Rank in the Court of Madness - 20
Duke Dementia: Reached Duke of Dementia Rank in the Court of Madness - 30
Duke Mania: Reached Duke of Mania Rank in the Court of Madness - 30
Regent: Reached Regent Rank in the Corut of Madness - 20
Defender: Reached Defender of the Realm Rank in the Court of Madness - 20
Madgod: Stopped the Greymarch - 50

I'll just say it again: those are lame Achievements. You get all of them just for beating the main quesline. :(

I just beat TMNT on XBLA and got 35/200 points. That's how it should be.

syllogism

This would be a perfect mod to go along with the thieves' arsenal. Unfortunately they aren't quite compatible yet, but they are working on it.

Renee's Guard Overhaul

This mod changes the Guard behavior by modifying how Guards react to player crimes. If you attack a guard, only that Guard will defend himself (no other Guards will attack unless they see the fighting.) If you manage to outrun the Guards, they will no longer chase you to the ends of Tamriel. Also, if your health is drained significantly, you will be knocked out and the Guards will simply transport you directly to jail. If you are sent to jail, the guards will kill you rather than trying to put you back into your cell if you escape.

If you manage to kill all the Guards that witnessed your crime, that crime gold will be removed.

If you attack a Guard from long range and they do not immediately see you, they will begin to search for you. While searching they will recruit other Guards to help them search. If any of those Guards finds you, they will try to arrest you.

Each city now has its own crime gold - meaning that if you attack someone in Chorrol, the guards in Cheydinhal will not attack you because they do not know about the crime in Chorrol.

Different crimes will be remembered for different amounts of time (typically anywhere from one game day for stealing to seven game days for murder.) These values can be changed either when you start using the mod, or by typing 'startquest RenCrimeConfig' into the in-game console.

If you kill a Guard or a civilian, Guards will notice the corpse. If a Guard notices the Corpse Stench, they will investigate and have a chance of discovering who killed the victim (namely, you.) They will know about the crime and try to arrest you the next time they see you. It is recommended that if you kill someone, you do your best to hide the body. To help in this task, a 'Corpse Carry' spell (think of a Telekinesis spell that can only move dead corpses) is added to Shady Sam for you to buy (but it's free.) Simply cast the 'Corpse Carry' spell at a corpse and you will be able to carry it. Just hit your 'Shift' (Run) key to drop the corpse where you want it. If the corpse doesn't fall down, use the Z key to have it drop (this is obviously a known bug.) If you are carrying a civilian (defined as an non-evil NPC,) Guards will try to arrest you, thinking that you (probably) killed the person you are carrying. So be careful.

If you hurt a guard badly enough, and there are no other guards to back him up, he will flee from you to avoid being killed.

Wanted Posters will now be posted in several different locations around Cyrodiil - currently they don't have any impact except to look pretty. In future versions they may change how NPCs react to you. They will only appear when your gold for a particular region goes above 1000.

There are Disguises that you can use in-game to avoid detection by the Guards for your crimes. These Disguises can be purchased at Jensine's "Good As New" Merchandise:

Fighters Guild
Mages Guild
Thieves Guild
Imperial Legion
Nobility
Dark Brotherhood
Mythic Dawn
Blackwood Company
Blades
Imperial Palace Guards
Beggars
Necromancers

Each disguise has its own crime gold, fame, and infamy stats attached to it. If you switch disguises, you won't have the bounty / fame / infamy that was on the disguise until you switch back to it. Also, you cannot change into or out of a disguise while you are detected by any other actor or creature.

If you are caught / go to jail while committing a crime while in Disguise and sent to jail, all the crime gold that is 'on' the Disguise will be put onto your 'normal' character (so you will have your 'normal' crime gold plus your Disguise crime gold.)

You are also able to bribe Guards to leave their posts. Say you want to rob a store, but there is a Guard sitting right outside. Just bribe him, and he will wander off. If he sees you committing a crime, though, he will still come after you.

edit: nice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLNsTgCok8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D5pkBvmQbE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGvt0m4sMwI
Download

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
shit, it REALLY pains me to be a console gamer right now :(

What would I need to buy to get Oblivion & all those mods to run at 60fps with no hickups & with everything on & at max?

Defcon

Banned
FTWer said:
shit, it REALLY pains me to be a console gamer right now :(

What would I need to buy to get Oblivion & all those mods to run at 60fps with no hickups & with everything on & at max?

E6600, 2 gig ram, and an 8800GT.

SOLDIER

As you might have heard, Circuit City is releasing Oblivion for the PS3 this Friday, at $50. A great deal, but it's odd that the game isn't out until Friday (and it's even odder that Best Buy didn't list the game in their ads; I was almost worried it would be delayed).

I have high intentions to make this my 2nd PS3 game after Resistance. After all, the Xbox 360 version was highly received, so if this version is exactly the same with minor graphical improvements, then there's really no chance it would score lower, right? I still would like to read a review (IGN, preferably) before purchase, though. Any idea how long until a review comes up?

The other concern is that I'm mostly a JRPG player, making this game a new experience for me (and probably the only western RPG I'll ever buy). As a newbie, how would this game treat me? Is there room for error or experimentation, or will I have to keep an eye on certain things to make sure I don't screw myself over as soon as I start?

SOLDIER said:
As you might have heard, Circuit City is releasing Oblivion for the PS3 this Friday, at $50. A great deal, but it's odd that the game isn't out until Friday (and it's even odder that Best Buy didn't list the game in their ads; I was almost worried it would be delayed).

I have high intentions to make this my 2nd PS3 game after Resistance. After all, the Xbox 360 version was highly received, so if this version is exactly the same with minor graphical improvements, then there's really no chance it would score lower, right? I still would like to read a review (IGN, preferably) before purchase, though. Any idea how long until a review comes up?

The other concern is that I'm mostly a JRPG player, making this game a new experience for me (and probably the only western RPG I'll ever buy). As a newbie, how would this game treat me? Is there room for error or experimentation, or will I have to keep an eye on certain things to make sure I don't screw myself over as soon as I start?

Being a jRPGer shouldn't matter. Its about the title in the end, whether its western or eastern :)

The progression is very natural IMO and you get what you put into it.
If your new to the Elder Scroll universe overall, you should considering reading up on the lore before-hand. Once you really have a good understanding of the series and its story, it really makes it that much more potent.
Try places like Wikipedia and such. Read the synopsis of each game in the series and then go from there.

I remeber I disliked Morrowind alot years ago, only because I didn't understand the universe at all and it was my first Elder Scrolls title...

Oblivion is one of my all time RPGs though :)

Big-E

SOLDIER said:

Ya its weird about the release date. Here in Canada, the Best Buy flyer says it will be available on Thursday. Usually they are always a day wrong so it looks like it is coming Friday. I wonder why that is.

Core407

Banned
So I'm guessing this thread will get another couple of posts once the PS3 version comes out. :lol I'm going to hold out until a review surfaces before picking this one up. I threw in over 100 hours in the 360 version, but I'd be willing to do it again if the improvements were noticeable enough.

Any chance of the ability to install Oblivion onto the HDD?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Been a year since I played the game. Once Shivering Isles hits, I'll have to pick it and Knights of the Whatever, and then start scouring through the many RIDICULOUSLY awesome mods available... Good times. :D

FrankT

Vyse The Legend said:
Have they announced the X360 pricing for Shivering Isles yet?

2400ms points ($30). Same as the retail for the PC. Will be available sometime the last week in March if I recall.

Last week of March huh? Sucks for me as I'll be heading out of the country on vacation for two weeks and won't have time to play before I leave. Oh well, I suppose it'll be something to look forward to upon my return.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Last week of March huh? Sucks for me as I'll be heading out of the country on vacation for two weeks and won't have time to play before I leave. Oh well, I suppose it'll be something to look forward to upon my return.
27th is my birthday. :D

I just designed my new character, deleted 100 old save files and got out of the sewers. As soon as I get the expansion, I'm ready to head there. :) :D :D

Xevren

With Shivering Isles taking place in Sheogoraths realm I hope he doesnt mind that I killed all his followers. I needed there souls damn it...

I know that this thread has achieved holy status but should there be a PS3 version thread? Otherwise there's going to be a whole lot of retreading for those of us that haven't touched Oblivion yet.
I want this game so badly, it will be my second PS3 game after Resistance and I really hope I can pick it up on the 20th.

GhaleonEB

blindrocket said:
I know that this thread has achieved holy status but should there be a PS3 version thread? Otherwise there's going to be a whole lot of retreading for those of us that haven't touched Oblivion yet.
I want this game so badly, it will be my second PS3 game after Resistance and I really hope I can pick it up on the 20th.
I think it makes sense for there to be a PS3 thread, since most of the chatter in this thread will be about Shivering Isles and that will muddy things up. But who knows, we didn't have a seperate PC thread and there's a lot of discrete discussion about that version and mods in the mix. If someone makes a PS3 thread it will probably stay open and active. (But it won't be very big. :p )

Big-E

blindrocket said:

I agree. I have never played an Elder Scrolls game before so looking through this gargantuan thread seems difficult. And can we get confirmation when this game is being released? I have heard anywhere between Tuesday and Friday.

Top Bottom