• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

jet1911

Hand to hand combat is awesome! Just started using it with my new character and I'm kicking ass left and right. Punching people in the face has never been so fun! :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, so, I'm hyped up for Shivering Isles.

However, I don't really know how to approach it. I have one character that I solved the main quest and several guild quests with... who has two stats maxxed out and is pretty powerful.

I just don't know what to do. I don't want to breeze through the whole thing with my super uber guy... yet, I don't want to miss out on high level content if it has any. For instance, will all the monsters types be the high-end ones, like all of them are in the normal world? I'd miss out on a bunch of new monsters if I go in with my main character.

The whole dynamic leveling thing is so screwy. I just wish the entire expansion was made for characters in the 20-30 level range.

GhaleonEB

FlyinJ said:

However, I don't really know how to approach it. I have one character that I solved the main quest and several guild quests with... who has two stats maxxed out and is pretty powerful.

I just don't know what to do. I don't want to breeze through the whole thing with my super uber guy... yet, I don't want to miss out on high level content if it has any. For instance, will all the monsters types be the high-end ones, like all of them are in the normal world? I'd miss out on a bunch of new monsters if I go in with my main character.

The whole dynamic leveling thing is so screwy. I just wish the entire expansion was made for characters in the 20-30 level range.
It's a hard call. I decided to treat Shivering Isles as a new game, so I have a newly created character fresh out of the opening dungeon ready to head straight in there. I find the early stages of building my character to be pretty rewarding, and I'm planning to loot, pillage and kill every dungeon, settlement and citizen in the expansion so I imagine I'll be decent level by the end of it all. (There's over two dozen dungeons.)

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
It's a hard call. I decided to treat Shivering Isles as a new game, so I have a newly created character fresh out of the opening dungeon ready to head straight in there. I find the early stages of building my character to be pretty rewarding, and I'm planning to loot, pillage and kill every dungeon, settlement and citizen in the expansion so I imagine I'll be decent level by the end of it all. (There's over two dozen dungeons.)
Not me. I'll still be using the character that I started the game with in the first place. I love being a Jack.. well in this case, a Jane of all trades. That's the reason why I kept her all this time. As I have a LOT of good loot I've found over my journeys.. and I'd end up just getting items and skills all over again. Besides, this town is only big enough for one hero. :D

I don't expect SI to be that level dependant compared to the main game though. I wouldn't be surprised if the enemies don't evolve into different ones at all.

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Not me. I'll still be using the character that I started the game with in the first place. I love being a Jack.. well in this case, a Jane of all trades. That's the reason why I kept her all this time. As I have a LOT of good loot I've found over my journeys.. and I'd end up just getting items and skills all over again. Besides, this town is only big enough for one hero. :D

I don't expect SI to be that level dependant compared to the main game though. I wouldn't be surprised if the enemies don't evolve into different ones at all.
Yeah, I still have my first character around, who is pretty well rounded, as well as my thief. Part of the reason I started a new one is because I thought of a new character type I wanted to try, and the stuff in SI is compatable with her. It was just the excuse I needed to spend way too much time playing Oblivion, again.

FlyinJ said:

I have same dilemma. So I've decided to create new character, and play with both. I can't decide yet with whom to start adventuring first. Most probably I'll try with new character, so I have good motivation of exploring every corner of Shivering Isles to level up.

Only thing I don't like about low level character is they get over-encumbered easily. With so many things to loot, I've to travel back and forth between my houses in Cyrodiil and Island.

If I can't decide, I will just flip coin. :) 4 days to go.....

raYne said:

I remember reading one interview confirming that there will be level scaling in SI.

raYne

MirageDwarf said:
I remember reading one interview confirming that there will be level scaling in SI.
I'm talking specifically about the enemies changing completely once you reach a certain level (ie the second part of that quote). There will obviously be the usual level scaling.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm sorry, my birthday is not until the 27th. That is six days from now. :p
Hmm.. mine was the 10th.. and I got no present from you. Screw you Ghaleon!

I'm leaning towards playing through with my main character as well. I've grown accustomed to him after all those hours, and I have the nice mix of skills, stats, and equipment down to what I like.

I'd probably feel like I was chating on him if I left him at home! :lol

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
Oddly enough, my wife made a cake that week. It was fantastic! You should have been there.

Happy birthday!
God damnit... :(

Thanks, same to you in advance!

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm leaning towards playing through with my main character as well. I've grown accustomed to him after all those hours, and I have the nice mix of skills, stats, and equipment down to what I like.
Yeah, you can't just confuse all the people. I mean, they're expecting "The Hero of Cyrodiil!".. and some dude shows up.. wtf?

I'd probably feel like I was cheating on him if I left him at home! :lol
Sounds hawt..

raYne said:
Yeah, you can't just confuse all the people. I mean, they're expecting "The Hero of Cyrodiil!".. and some dude shows up.. wtf?

We have to give the people what they want. It's not like I can send that pathetic fanboy from the Arena to handle my work. Come to think of it, what ever became of that boy... ?

I read it yesterday.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=51

We know the Shivering Isles will be leveled to your characters level, does this mean that there will be completely different creatures at lower levels that the ones you see at higher levels? For example: at level one in Cyrodiil, if you enter a goblin cave, you will have "goblins" and "goblin skirmishers" but if you enter at a higher level you will have "goblin warlords" and such. So to get the most out of the expansion, should you play it at different levels and not just finish it by level 10?

Todd Howard: Yes, creatures work much the same way they do in Oblivion with some small modifications. If you're creating a game, or an expansion, where you allow anyone to go anywhere they want you have to let the game adjust for that otherwise it's way too hard for some folks and way too easy for the others. Ideally you should pick a character that you enjoy and feel is suited for the challenge Sheogorath is going to lay before you and have at it. Whether you're at level 5 or 25, you're going to have fun. That being said, it is our assumption that someone playing Shivering Isles has played a great deal of Oblivion, so the content takes that into consideration.

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
We have to give the people what they want. It's not like I can send that pathetic fanboy from the Arena to handle my work. Come to think of it, what ever became of that boy... ?
Exactly!

As for the boy, well... mine should still be floating in the well I left him in..

Oh, I mean... what boy?

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
That's what I love about this game. You can create your own adventures. In your game, the Hero of Cyrodiil shows up and saves the day. In mine, a slinky young woman with dark eyes and a big sword shows up and slaughters the populace, while her sword devours their souls (and levels up to boot!).

I just love stories with happy endings. :D

raYne said:
Exactly!

As for the boy, well... mine should still be floating in the well I left him in..

Oh, I mean... what boy?

I seem to recall seeing him saying hello to a troll or two the last time our paths crossed. I'm not especially fond of the boy, but those trolls sure seemed to like him.

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
That's what I love about this game. You can create your own adventures. In your game, the Hero of Cyrodiil shows up and saves the day. In mine, a slinky young woman with dark eyes and a big sword shows up and slaughters the populace, while her sword devours their souls (and levels up to boot!).

I just love stories with happy endings. :D
Well played Ghaleon... well played. :D

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I seem to recall seeing him saying hello to a troll or two the last time our paths crossed. I'm not especially fond of the boy, but those trolls sure seemed to like him.
:lol <3 Oblivion.

People are talking about new update which does something, and also adds achievement list for SI. Most probably this isn't that shader fix. It also fixes dupe glitch on 360. So, watch out if somebody wants to dupe items. This is the last chance. :)

Can somebody confirm this? I played it last night. Didn't get any update.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The last SI interview I read indicated the update (with the shader upgrade) would come in a day or two before SI. Either way, it's almost here folks! I'm giddy with excitement!

raYne

MirageDwarf said:
Can somebody confirm this? I played it last night. Didn't get any update.
I'm not even sure that the updated was dated. At least, I haven't seen it.

I'd expect it to be out when SI is, as that'd make sense.

I was expecting it the day of release for SI or maybe the day before. Sometime next week for sure. I'm slightly bummed I won't be playing for awhile though, so I'm trying not to think about it. :D

Tobor

Have any of the new weapons and armor for SI been leaked yet? I've been using the same gear since Knights of the Nine came out, and I'm itching for some new loot.

Tobor said:
Have any of the new weapons and armor for SI been leaked yet? I've been using the same gear since Knights of the Nine came out, and I'm itching for some new loot.
http://www.primagames.com/catalog/promo_image/9780761555490_648.pdf

Links has 13 pages preview of strategy guide. From page 2 to 5, you will see few equipments and creatures listed.

And yes. Patch is out. No more item dupes. I'll see how good it looks tonight.

raYne

Dr Zhivago said:
Does this patch fix the @*!$£%ing Thieves Guild bug? The one that stops you getting
Nocturnal's Cowl
?
Even if it does, if you already have the glitch, the new patch won't fix it. All of the bug fixes have been to prevent them from happening, not to reverse the status if it has.

GhaleonEB

Still no changelog up at elderscrolls.com. There's a five page thread of people trying to figure out what was changed. The only confirmed change is the complete removal of item duping.

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
Still no changelog up at elderscrolls.com. There's a five page thread of people trying to figure out what was changed. The only confirmed change is the complete removal of item duping.
That's what I'm waiting on as well. I'd rather get specifics than have a bunch of people guessing things that may or may not be accurate.

I never used the dupe cheat. Didn't really see the need. And at one point you end up having so much cash and nothing to spend it on, that you can buy anything and everything you need. Besides, it's an RPG, I really don't like to use exploits to get through the game.

GhaleonEB

Xbox Live, Xbox.com and the Xbox forums will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on Tuesday March 27th (next week) from 0000 to 1400 PT. As a result of this maintenance, Xbox Live, Xbox.com and the Xbox forums will be unavailable during this time. I thought I'd give you enough time to plan next weeks gaming schedule. What to do while you can’t hop on Xbox Live? Xbox.com has you covered with this list. This is purely ‘back end’ work that we scheduled months ago. This is not a dashboard update…that will happen later this Spring.
Goddamnit!

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/03/22/xbox-live-service-maintenance-on-3-27-07.aspx

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't remember...is it possible for Martin to die right after you pick him up in Kvatch? No, right, because he has the crown? He's a pretty capable little fighter. I don't see why I shouldn't just have him follow me around.

He cleared out that Fire Demon thing in the Kvatch Castle on his own. :lol

Top Bottom