• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

hey i just reinstalled oblivion a week or so ago and installed ooo and a number of other mods and i'm having a ball of a time. it took me 5 hours to make level 2 and it was the best 5 hours i'd played in the game. each fight was an actual challenge. totally worth it.

X26

Banned
syllogism said:
See 360 gamers, this is what you are missing

Cool stuff, really sucks how terrible character creation is in Oblivion on the 360. Part of the fun I had with Morrowind was making a cool looking new character, in Oblivion, you can't do that. You can make decent dark and high elf guys and breton women, but that's about it.

Saint's Row had better character creation

Quazar

So..how do I get the last achievement in SI? I dont understand.

EDIT: Shit I have to run through it again for Duke of Mania. **** that.

oldboy1

Banned
Quazar said:
So..how do I get the last achievement in SI? I dont understand.

EDIT: Shit I have to run through it again for Duke of Mania. **** that.

No, just load the save where you have to choose between Mania & Dementia.

Quazar

oldboy1 said:
No, just load the save where you have to choose between Mania & Dementia.

I dont have one. But I remember I did do both, to see what items were. Was this the glitch people talked about in SI? This sucks.

Phthisis

I just started playing this game again this weekend after a couple months off. Man it sucked me back in quick.

Last night I found a hill northeast of Skingrad, and I hiked to the top. From there I could see all the way to Kvatch in the west, Skingrad in the east and if I turned north, I could just make out Chorrol. Plus the wilderness in between. It was amazing.

Oblivion is the game that keeps on giving. Everytime I turn the thing on, some new experience wows me anew.

ElyrionX

So I understand the key reward for closing random Oblivion gates are the Sigil Stones. But just how good are the Sigil Stones and are they really worth my time spent closing the gates? Right now, I am of a mind to simply blast through the main quest and finish the game.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
ElyrionX said:
So I understand the key reward for closing random Oblivion gates are the Sigil Stones. But just how good are the Sigil Stones and are they really worth my time spent closing the gates? Right now, I am of a mind to simply blast through the main quest and finish the game.

Well, it depends. There is no right or wrong way (obviously). Personally, I only closed one or two gates because I found the whole process incredibly tedious. Plus, you'll close enough gates during the main quest to get a few sigil stones (IIRC). Sigil stones are not required to beat the side quests, guild quests, or main quest.

ElyrionX said:

Closing the gates definitely can get tedious. I ended up closing about 15 gates aside from the ones that dealt with the main quest. Usually I'd do a few side quests, work on the main quest, side quests/explore, close a gate, return to the main quest, and repeat the process.

The Sigil Stones can gave you some great free magical abilities, and they are randomly assigned, so if you save your game right before you grab a Sigil Stone, then find out that the effect is not all that great, you can reload the game save and try again for something better.

Tobor

Still no word on another expansion? I was hoping for a second one like Morrowind recieved, but if the game of the year edition has already been announced, I guess not.

BitchTits

Tobor said:
Still no word on another expansion? I was hoping for a second one like Morrowind recieved, but if the game of the year edition has already been announced, I guess not.

IIRC, Bethesda have stated there will be no more larger expansions like Shivering Isles, but may be one or two smaller add-ons released.

Xenon

Tobor said:

I wish they would create some sort of advance gameplay options or a mod light for the console version of the game. Just having a slide bar for difficulty is kinda of lame. I refuse to buy any other add on for they game until they do so. But Im sure they're too busy with fall out right now.

I'll just have to wait and buy it used on the PC when I get one that can run it well. Then I can play what I hear is a much better version of the game.

Tobor

BitchTits said:
IIRC, Bethesda have stated there will be no more larger expansions like Shivering Isles, but may be one or two smaller add-ons released.

That blows. 250 hours and I want more. Oh well.

Quazar

Closing the gates are dumb after a few. Just run straight to the top, ignore mobs, and grab sigil stone. Should only take like 10-15min.

NSider

I finished the main quest in the PC version a long time ago, and I recently got the 360 version for fun, side quests and achievements, and I just finished the Arena quest. The adoring fan is so awesome. :lol

Anyone in favor of becoming a vampire? I didn't try it before and I'm thinking of giving it a shot, although I know it's a pain in the ass to go back to normal.

BitchTits

Quazar said:
Closing the gates are dumb after a few. Just run straight to the top, ignore mobs, and grab sigil stone. Should only take like 10-15min.

+Invisibility Spell :D

On my first play through, I thought you had to close every single Oblivion gate - I did just over 50! So on my second play through, I just closed a couple, plus the one outside each city (there is a Trainer who requires you to close at least 10 before she'll train you) - I just ran through to the top and grabbed the stone the enemies were oblivious. :D

NSider said:
Anyone in favor of becoming a vampire? I didn't try it before and I'm thinking of giving it a shot, although I know it's a pain in the ass to go back to normal.

If you have the Vile Lair plugin, curing vampirism is simple, if you don't it's a long-ish shopping list for certain items, which is rewarding enough in itself, and is related to the Count Skingrad quests any way. Being a vampire is a lot of fun, the only downside is no fast travel during the day if you haven't fed for 24 hours - easily solved, just go bite some necks after dark and you're all set!

If you have a thief character or like the Dark Brotherhood, becoming a vampire is a great addition to your character.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'm at the point in the main quest where oblivion gates just appear everywhere...

i figure i'll just leave them open and as i find more and more, i'll just visit them all and then close them.

i figure i'll get the most out of the game that way. I'm gonna do all the sidequest stuff first before doing much more of the main quest.

being a vampire is like a special weapon. I'm at 100 strength (i dont know if that's with the vampire attributes or not...i can't upgrade it anymore after i level, so i guess it is). and if i wait an hour, i'll turn into a vampire and get 5 more strength. bwahah

also, does anyone know if the box right outside the Imperial City House (to the right when you exit the house) is a safe box or is pretty much a normal box that you have to keep visiting to make sure that stuff doesn't disappear?

gstaff

Since this thread has been going on for ages, I thought a contest we're running was noteworthy enough for bumping the thread.

On Bethesda Blog, we just put up a contest to win a signed copy of Oblivion - signed by Sean Bean and Terrence Stamp.

oldboy1

Banned
davepoobond said:
i'm at the point in the main quest where oblivion gates just appear everywhere...

i figure i'll just leave them open and as i find more and more, i'll just visit them all and then close them.

i figure i'll get the most out of the game that way. I'm gonna do all the sidequest stuff first before doing much more of the main quest.

being a vampire is like a special weapon. I'm at 100 strength (i dont know if that's with the vampire attributes or not...i can't upgrade it anymore after i level, so i guess it is). and if i wait an hour, i'll turn into a vampire and get 5 more strength. bwahah

also, does anyone know if the box right outside the Imperial City House (to the right when you exit the house) is a safe box or is pretty much a normal box that you have to keep visiting to make sure that stuff doesn't disappear?

Don't leave anything in the boxes outside the IC shack as it will just disappear after a few days.

You can't close all the Oblivion gates, can you? I thought they kept on re spawning until you complete the main quest.

Zonar

gstaff said:
Since this thread has been going on for ages, I thought a contest we're running was noteworthy enough for bumping the thread.

On Bethesda Blog, we just put up a contest to win a signed copy of Oblivion - signed by Sean Bean and Terrence Stamp.
cool thanks.

MMaRsu

I finished the Dark Brotherhood questline today, already did it once on PC, now got the achievements :).

What other guilds are good, with some story in it?

My character is an assasin class, mostly focusing on sneak, light armor, marksman, acrobatics etc. You get the point.

I am not good with magics.

Bildi

MMaRsu said:
I finished the Dark Brotherhood questline today, already did it once on PC, now got the achievements :).

What other guilds are good, with some story in it?

My character is an assasin class, mostly focusing on sneak, light armor, marksman, acrobatics etc. You get the point.

I am not good with magics.
You haven't done the thieves guild? I play the same kind of character as you and hence the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild are the two I've finished. I enjoyed them both but I think the Dark Brotherhood is maybe the best.

Mages guild is not too dependent on being good with magic so you should be fine although I haven't finished it so maybe it gets harder later. I didn't finish the Fighter Guild either but that was due to a quest-breaking bug in Azani Blackheart (the door animation bug).

karasu

I need help. I'm dong the quest where Falcar asks me to go into the well to fetch his Ring of Burden. I had no problem finding the ring, but it was way too heavy so I dropped it. Now when I go back into the well to pick it up again, it's nowhere to be found! wtf am I supposed to do?

djkimothy

karasu said:
I need help. I'm dong the quest where Falcar asks me to go into the well to fetch his Ring of Burden. I had no problem finding the ring, but it was way too heavy so I dropped it. Now when I go back into the well to pick it up again, it's nowhere to be found! wtf am I supposed to do?

I think you have to go back and talk to someone, not Falcar. The quest is a
ruse. He's just doing that to get you killed. Don't even bother dropping your equipment.

bengraven

Beth abandoning this game is a bit sad. We had a nice few months of add-ons until Shivering Isles was released and now nothing. Non-PC gamers have nothing more to do. :lol

If Bethesda can work out a deal like UKIII with Sony where mods could be added, I would seriously pick up a PS3.

karasu

djkimothy said:
I think you have to go back and talk to someone, not Falcar. The quest is a
ruse. He's just doing that to get you killed. Don't even bother dropping your equipment.

Nothing is working. They're repeating the same stuff over and over. With a little googling I've found out that it's a bug, and if I want to join the Arcane University I have to start all over! >_< It can't be ethical to release games like this!

djkimothy

karasu said:
Nothing is working. They're repeating the same stuff over and over. With a little googling I've found out that it's a bug, and if I want to join the Arcane University I have to start all over! >_< It can't be ethical to release games like this!

Hmmm..... I was able to finish the quest. You playing PC? I was playing it on PS3.

You can try dropping all your equipment and picking it up. I just rememberd that lizard lady telling me that it was a useless trinket and that I can throw it away. It doesn't even have sale value. :/

karasu

djkimothy said:
Hmmm..... I was able to finish the quest. You playing PC? I was playing it on PS3.

You can try dropping all your equipment and picking it up. I just rememberd that lizard lady telling me that it was a useless trinket and that I can throw it away. It doesn't even have sale value. :/

I'm on Ps3. The problem is that I dropped the ring while I was still in the well, and now its just gone. I can't get any new information without it. I can't even tell her that the kid is dead. Falcor says nothing but 'You have some nerve talking to me seeing as how you haven't completed your mission'..

Playing this on PS3.

I originally had it for the PC, but I dunno I find it harder to get into PC games than Console games for some reason.

Anyways, looking for some story line suggestions... I'm loving the Dark Brotherhood storyline, while ignoring the main storyline for now... I also just became a vampire, but have yet to wait the three days.

I'm guessing some new quests will open from being a vampire?

DemDereNads said:
Playing this on PS3.

I originally had it for the PC, but I dunno I find it harder to get into PC games than Console games for some reason.

Anyways, looking for some story line suggestions... I'm loving the Dark Brotherhood storyline, while ignoring the main storyline for now... I also just became a vampire, but have yet to wait the three days.

I'm guessing some new quests will open from being a vampire?

I never became vampire so don't know about new vampire only quests but, I guess, it has more to do with special skill bonus that you get for becoming a vampire.

Keep this site handy. It's Elder Scroll series bible: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Vampires

Ragnarok10

karasu said:
Have you tried casting "Feather" either with a potion or by casting the spell? You should then be able to pick up the ring (if you can find it on the floor). Perhaps a "Water Breathing" spell as well.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hey guys, I had a quick question and thought this would be the best place to post it in:

I REALLY want to get back into Oblivion via the Shivering Isles Expansion disc coming to X360 in .. November ? (I think) So anyways, I'm not a custom to how console expansion packs work so, if I bought the Shivering Isles expansion disc for 360, would I still need the original Oblivion disc ? (I still have my game saves for Oblivion) Or can I just buy the Shivering Isles expansion disc for 360 and just play it from there ?

Thanks

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
Hey guys, I had a quick question and thought this would be the best place to post it in:

I REALLY want to get back into Oblivion via the Shivering Isles Expansion disc coming to X360 in .. November ? (I think) So anyways, I'm not a custom to how console expansion packs work so, if I bought the Shivering Isles expansion disc for 360, would I still need the original Oblivion disc ? (I still have my game saves for Oblivion) Or can I just buy the Shivering Isles expansion disc for 360 and just play it from there ?

Thanks
I believe Shivering Isles for the 360 is already out on a stand-alone disk. (It includes Knights of the Nine as well.)

From what I've read, you install the content from the disk to the HDD of the 360, just as if it were DLC, and then play the game from the main Oblivion disk per normal. Great expansion, well worth the $30 I paid via DLC.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
I believe Shivering Isles for the 360 is already out on a stand-alone disk. (It includes Knights of the Nine as well.)

From what I've read, you install the content from the disk to the HDD of the 360, just as if it were DLC, and then play the game from the main Oblivion disk per normal. Great expansion, well worth the $30 I paid via DLC.

Damn. I don't have my original Oblivion disc. :( I was hoping I wouldn't have to end up buying the game again (or the GOTY edition) since I'm focusing my first 65 dollars on Assassin's Creed in November (already paid off Mass Effect last year so I'm all set for that).

I only put about 30+ hours into Oblivion when I played it on the PS3. But now that I have it for the PC, I'm starting to play it again. Tweaking the .ini file and modding are extremely cool.

JCBossman

Banned
BitchTits said:
+Invisibility Spell :D

On my first play through, I thought you had to close every single Oblivion gate - I did just over 50! So on my second play through, I just closed a couple, plus the one outside each city (there is a Trainer who requires you to close at least 10 before she'll train you) - I just ran through to the top and grabbed the stone the enemies were oblivious. :D

If you have the Vile Lair plugin, curing vampirism is simple, if you don't it's a long-ish shopping list for certain items, which is rewarding enough in itself, and is related to the Count Skingrad quests any way. Being a vampire is a lot of fun, the only downside is no fast travel during the day if you haven't fed for 24 hours - easily solved, just go bite some necks after dark and you're all set!

If you have a thief character or like the Dark Brotherhood, becoming a vampire is a great addition to your character.

Invisibility/Chameleon Breaks the game, at High Levels you can do ANYTHING and No one can see you.

Orodreth

So after lot of time out of the game, i was thinking about getting back buying the 360 GOTY edition. The problem is i couldnt find it anywhere near and ended up getting the classics one which I havent opened it yet because of a little doubt.

Do the shivering isles DLC and/or GOTY retail edition include the enhacementes to the engine?

I remember back when the expansion was announced they said the 360 version would also get the better graphics (texture LOD enhacementes etc..) to the engine that they put into the ps3 version.
So, my questions are if that is correct and if in taht case you get all those enhacements just purchasing the S.Isles DLC or if you need the GOTY retail edition for that?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Orodreth said:
So after lot of time out of the game, i was thinking about getting back buying the 360 GOTY edition. The problem is i couldnt find it anywhere near and ended up getting the classics one which I havent opened it yet because of a little doubt.

Do the shivering isles DLC and/or GOTY retail edition include the enhacementes to the engine?

I remember back when the expansion was announced they said the 360 version would also get the better graphics (texture LOD enhacementes etc..) to the engine that they put into the ps3 version.
So, my questions are if that is correct and if in taht case you get all those enhacements just purchasing the S.Isles DLC or if you need the GOTY retail edition for that?
You get the engine update by simply patching the game when you're connected to Live.

Havoc

Banned
Can anyone give me tips on leveling up reasonably? I keep reading that the monsters always catch up to you in level. How often do you guys level up?

Tunesmith said:
You get the engine update by simply patching the game when you're connected to Live.
When was this engine update released? Where can I find the details?

Also, got a couple questions about Shivering Isles. If I buy the retail disc for 360 and want to create a new character to use for the expansion, can I do that without having to use my old Oblivion disc? Also, can I do the Fighter's Stronghold and Knights of the Nine without having to use my old Oblivion disc?

The whole reason I want to get the disc instead of downloading content is to preserve space on my hard drive. Is it true that the disc simply loads all the 1GB or whatever on to your hard drive?

Havoc said:
Can anyone give me tips on leveling up reasonably? I keep reading that the monsters always catch up to you in level. How often do you guys level up?

It depends on what your major and minor skills are. If your character has skills that level up easily (acrobatics, athletics, short/long blade, etc) you are going to see level ups quicker. On the flipside, a character like a Mage, whose skills are a little more difficult to increase (as they solely rely on your mana and what spells you have at your disposal) will level somewhat slower. The monsters in Oblivion were unfortunately not programmed very well, and start to ramp up in difficulty after a while. You will start seeing mere bandits sporting Daedra armor and carrying glass weapons when you are still just sporting something like iron or steel. It's rather unfair, and there were several mods on the PC that fixed this. That's why I always suggest the PC version to people now. I can't imagine going back to a console version after playing around with mods in both Morrowind and Oblivion.

Havoc said:

Also, you need to choose your major and minor skills carefully. If you choose major skills that you'll use constantly but don't kill things, like acrobatics or lockpicking, you might gain levels very quickly without increasing your combat ability. That will suck when you get a quest to go kill a tower full of demons, and they're all level 30 tanks or something and you're a super-awesome lockpicker. This is the one RPG where you DON'T want to level up all the time.

On the other hand, if you're a melee/swordfighter type, and you choose your skills well, before too long combat will be very easy most of the time. I think I beat the final boss of the Knights of the Nine with a few sword blows. With boosts, my strength was about 190/100. I never had any problems with overpowered bandits or whatnot, either.

I've also heard that people thought that playing as a magician was too easy, but I'm not as familiar with those skills.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
disappeared said:
It depends on what your major and minor skills are. If your character has skills that level up easily (acrobatics, athletics, short/long blade, etc) you are going to see level ups quicker. On the flipside, a character like a Mage, whose skills are a little more difficult to increase (as they solely rely on your mana and what spells you have at your disposal) will level somewhat slower. The monsters in Oblivion were unfortunately not programmed very well, and start to ramp up in difficulty after a while. You will start seeing mere bandits sporting Daedra armor and carrying glass weapons when you are still just sporting something like iron or steel. It's rather unfair, and there were several mods on the PC that fixed this. That's why I always suggest the PC version to people now. I can't imagine going back to a console version after playing around with mods in both Morrowind and Oblivion.

You should have Daedra armor and weapons by the time bandits do, Iron and Steel are level 1-3 items while Draedric is level 20.

For bandits to have Draedric armor you will have to be around level 20, so am sure you should be finding better weapons by then.

LakeEarth

Captain Glanton said:
On the other hand, if you're a melee/swordfighter type, and you choose your skills well, before too long combat will be very easy most of the time. I think I beat the final boss of the Knights of the Nine with a few sword blows.
To be fair, that's every boss in Oblivion.

Top Bottom