• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Aponi

Awesome :). Even with my poor Radeon 9600 trying its best to butcher the graphics, they still look good. Maybe my tax refund will go to upgrading the poor thing. One crash that reset the computer, but I updated my video drivers so hopefully that'll take care of that. :-/

avcables

Banned
I was informed of the lower-end video cards running Oblivion without much of a problem, so can someone with a 6600 clarify for me how well it runs on their system?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
It's supposed to be pretty dark. Aside from torches, there are Light and Night Eye spells/potions/scrolls to help you out in dark places. You can make Night Eye potions with common ingredients found near Weynon Priory.

belgurdo

Banned
I'm in Vilverin and I am absolutely amazed at the size of this dungeon. I've been going through it for about two hours and I'm still not done. Are all the dungeons this impressive?

Good God, 12 out of 12 on my Friends List were playing Oblivion. It left me GRAW-less. :(

I really want this game, but alas, I don't think I can. School is shitting the fan like nothing I've ever seen and we only have a month and a half left, and I'm not gonna have time after that since I'll spend the NEXT month and week or so to study for my Board exam... and afterwards I'll have two weeks of break before I start my Rotations... not at all a good time to start a lengthy RPG.

:( Don't go to med school.

is there anyway to get theivery off your record? i stole some shit from this guys house, now this asshole cop is on my ass telling me i have to pay $$$ and go to jail. when i tell him to fuck off he proceeds to thrash me.

also, i got to this shrine and killed everyone there. then it said "someone has taken note of this transgression..." or some crap like that. what reprecussions will i see later on?

this game is pretty sweet. i need to buy a horse though.

Borys

Banned
There's still hope for the eye-candy crippled, consolized PC version:

Official max:
Oblivion1a.jpg

INI changed:
Oblivion2a.jpg

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
:lol blaming it the console, thats some funny shit

anyway, i am loving the ai stories and some stuff people have done, reading all about it in all the forums. still on vacation, will pick it up next week hopefully for cheap at best buy

hopefull the ini changes will be finalized by then

I don't agree with most of the hyperbole here. It's really just a natural evolution from Morrowind. It's more of the same with some nice new features and tweaks.

One of my favorite changes so far are how the citizens will run for guards when you try to kill them. I remember just slaughtering entire towns in Morrowind and stealing everything, but now, when you hit that shopkeeper, he bolts out the door and brings in some guards to deal with you.

Pimpbaa

GashPrex said:

anyway, i am loving the ai stories and some stuff people have done, reading all about it in all the forums. still on vacation, will pick it up next week hopefully for cheap at best buy

Why else would there be such aggressive LOD on textures? There is no reason to limit that on the pc version due to much more ram and faster harddrive access. There should have been an extra slider to increase the distance of the detailed textures. Guess we have to tweak via the ini to get the kind of graphics Bethesda or more likely MS doesn't want us to see on the pc version.

Edit: I guess they wouldn't have let us access such vast amounts of graphic options in the ini if the load of bullcrap I just said was just true :lol

Speevy

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's really just a natural evolution from Morrowind.

Which is still so rare that even 4 years later I can't name another game quite like it.

The difference is that now it's relatively stable and looks great, along with a myriad of gameplay refinements.

GashPrex said:
It's not like he's wrong. The giant font, the simplified menus, the N64 textures, and the control scheme all make it feel like a rushed Xbox 360 port. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but this is the same sort of problem that caused so much backlash at Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Pimpbaa said:
Why else would there be such aggressive LOD on textures? There is no reason to limit that on the pc version due to much more ram and faster harddrive access. There should have been an extra slider to increase the distance of the detailed textures. Guess we have to tweak via the ini to get the kind of graphics Bethesda or more likely MS doesn't want us to see on the pc version.[/b

yeah thats it, its a vast ms conspiracy so that people will buy the 360 version ....are you serious?

or maybe they realized from a pure perfomance/detail level that was the best level for the general gaming public, and any hardcore pc people who cared and had pc's capable of that, would just play with the ini file.

Speevy

Banned
It's not like he's wrong. The giant font, the simplified menus, the N64 textures, and the control scheme all make it feel like a rushed Xbox 360 port. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but this is the same sort of problem that caused so much backlash at Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3.

N64 textures what?

siege

Banned
GashPrex said:
yeah thats it, its a vast ms conspiracy so that people will buy the 360 version ....are you serious?

or maybe they realized from a pure perfomance/detail level that was the best level for the general gaming public, and any hardcore pc people who cared and had pc's capable of that, would just play with the ini file.

Why not just limit it via sliders in the menu like every other game does? Makes no sense.

Those screens still don't look next-gen to me. Looks like a higher rez Dark Age of Camelot with slightly better textures.

Lol it would figure something is wrong with my soundcard (SB-Live 24-bit) and I need to play with the music off. The game would hang when I tried to create a new game.

golem

wow just from playing the first few missions in the main quest you can tell its going to be one heck of a ride... awesome job!!

i have ugrids on 7.. works pretty well and doesnt hurt th eload times that much

Damn I'm jealous of all you people playing this. I still haven't been able to track down a 360. To pass time during the wait I started playing through some unfinished quests in Morrowind with my near-invincible lvl. 39 character. Just got the Staff of Magnus woohoo!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Speevy said:
Do you actually plan on playing this game at some point Borys or just making bitter remarks?

Isn't this basically a console forum anyway? If I was a PC fanbot I would avoid this place like the plague.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I just finished the introduction and created a custom character class. Oh boy so many choices. Very cool game though.

* I popped my Morrowing cherry* :D

Fifty

Dammit, I just had my first Oblivion freeze. I really hope that it's not a common thing (my 360 had only frozen once before this since launch day), as Morrowind had plenty of crashing problems. Perhaps the gaming gods were angry at me, since it decided to freeze as I was stealing loot from a church of all places.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Teknopathetic said:
Steve: Define "Lots of ram" 1gb or 2gb+?

*shrug* depends if you have anything else running. Min spec is 512MB, recommended is 1GB. Tweak the settings & see how your system behaves.

Pimpbaa

The low detail textures in the distance wouldn't be so bad if there was a smooth transition between them and the detailed textures near you. I think far cry does this.

Bebpo

Banned
Ended up playing the X360 one for an hour and a half until it froze on me. First time my X360's frozen. I got on a horse and moved a step and then everything froze up :(

Other than the freezing and the GTA style chop chop chop framerate when other characters are on screen it seemed pretty nice. Love the music, the lighting effects, and the expansive world. Still need to get used to the controls, the analogue sensitivity seems wierd. Sometimes it feels too sensitive, sometimes not enough. If the PC version can keep a better framerate and have smoother controls I might pick that up down the line.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Anybody find a cheap place to buy a horse. I am tired of having a super bounty from stealing horse's just cause I want to get across the map quicker.

The only place I found were selling them for 2000 gold. A little out of my price range :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If the PC version can keep a better framerate and have smoother controls I might pick that up down the line.

what spec PC do you need to run this game at X360 quality? Anyone know?

Nutter

FrenchMovieTheme said:
is there anyway to get theivery off your record? i stole some shit from this guys house, now this asshole cop is on my ass telling me i have to pay $$$ and go to jail. when i tell him to fuck off he proceeds to thrash me.

also, i got to this shrine and killed everyone there. then it said "someone has taken note of this transgression..." or some crap like that. what reprecussions will i see later on?

this game is pretty sweet. i need to buy a horse though.
I would like to know that as well..

(although i havent tried passing by a guard after the "incident", i threw away my stolen stuff so hopefully they stop coming after me)

Anyone got any tips on lockpicking manually?
I can only get one pin locks to open. When using auto-pick i've gotten four-pin locks to open...

I think I'm missing something...

Bebpo

Banned
My game just froze again, maybe 15 mins past where the last freeze was. I even did the whole "hold A when booting the game to clear cache" thing after the first freeze.

If the game keeps crashing several times an hour forcing me to quicksave every 5 mins I'm seriously going to get pissed.

Borys

Banned
The "Bethesda is in bed with Microsoft!" conspiracy theories are really stupid and not exactly true.

PC gamers like me really don't *need* to complain because The Elder Scrolls IV is:

- first PC RPG with bumpmapping on majority of textures (Arx Fatalis got it maybe on 5-10 textures through the entire game)
- first PC RPG with physics
- just an awesome game from what I read

Of course we *can* complain and no number of 360 fans singing praises will take this right away from us.

Speevy

Banned
Of course we *can* complain and no number of 360 fans singing praises will take this right away from us.

Well, okay. Keep it up then. I'm curious to find out who can take the right away from you.

Anyway, I'm too tired to play anymore right now. I have a feeling that this purchase will last me for months.

Great job Bethesda. Steve, Vark.

i think i might have to restart.
i killed a bunch of people and joined the dark brotherhood. now everyone is blackballing me and treating me like a common criminal!

also, you know you can quick warp to a lot of places on the map right?

* edit - i will respect the boards wishes :D

Speevy

Banned
FMT: It is polite to use spoiler tags when you do something. If someone doesn't know what that is, you're supposed to tag it. Even though you're not spoiling a story point, it's still something fresh that someone may not have heard before.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i think i might have to restart. i killed a bunch of people and joined the dark brotherhood. now everyone is blackballing me and treating me like a common criminal!

also, you know you can quick warp to a lot of places on the map right?

Fuck that, kill everyone and take their shit.

I'm going to THE most evil thief ever.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The game is fantastic so far.

My only complaint is the Dpad hotkeys. We all know how much the 360 Dpad sucks. Hitting diagonals is a total crapshoot. And only being able to key 8 things seems a bit limited.

Other than that... man is it good.

Top Bottom