• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

golem

some random shots

getting up after crouching low in some ruins during the night

they paid the iron price

and for old times sake... (a few mods applied)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Speevy said:
I've never seen a better face option in a console-released RPG.

I think he was being sarcastic.

It took me about 30mins to create the face for my character there's just so many options, at that moment I realized this game could consume many hours of my life. :lol

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
Speevy said:
I've never seen a better face option in a console-released RPG.

That’s no excuse... There are lots of console-released games (maybe not RPG) that do it better. In fact, as much as it pains me to say it, almost every EA game does it better.

Yusaku

I don't think the character creaetion is that great. There's a tons of sliders, but I don't really think you can make that great of a variety of faces. Unless you like guys with overbite or jay leno chins. More options doesn't necessarily equal better characters. I would've preferred less sliders and more hair/accessory options.

GhaleonEB

Alski said:
That’s no excuse... There are lots of console-released games (maybe not RPG) that do it better. In fact, as much as it pains me to say it, almost every EA game does it better.
Apparantly he was not being sarcastic. 0_o

Alski

MrToughPants said:
I think he was being sarcastic.

It took me about 30mins to create the face for my character there's just so many options, at that moment I realized this game could consume many hours of my life. :lol

Nope, wasn't being sarcastic. I think the game is awesome but I would challange anyone to post a "good looking" or "unique" Breton character in this thread.

Please, prove me wrong.

Major kudos to everyone on the Oblivion team. The game is fantastic, and so addictive. I rarely play games for more than an hour in one sitting, but I just got done playing Oblivion for over two hours and the time flew by. I'm especially impressed with the environments...

The hidden lake cave and underground ruins near the exit to the sewers! :D

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Got the game (PC) this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised that auto-detect set me up for "High". This game is going to suck my life away.

Quick question: I tried setting up my 360 pad but it wouldn't register the analog sticks at all. Anyone know what's up with that? And is there any way to use the dang 360 triggers on a PC game?? The don't register either. M&Kb isn't bad at all, I'm just more of a console gamer and prefer pads overall.

Congrats to Steve, Vark and any other Bethesda folk (bow down to Todd as well)... I'm lost in Oblivion--it's outstanding...

I think the unsung hero of this game is the marketing... A perfect amount of hype from the initial website countdown a few years back to the countdown videos...

I hope you guys are well rewarded for pulling all of this off...

BTW--skip the vacation and get ESV out ASAP!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Alski said:
Nope, wasn't being sarcastic. I think the game is awesome but I would challange anyone to post a "good looking" or "unique" Breton character in this thread.

Please, prove me wrong.

My character is a Wood Elf and looks a lot like Aragorn from LoTR.

Speevy

Banned
Since creating a character doesn't require any gameplay or spoilers, everyone see if you can create a really good one. Post it here.

Just start a new game, create one, take a picture, and cancel.

Alski

Speevy said:
Here's my Argonian. His mother thinks he's very handsome.

HAHA! I am playing an Argonian too. My first character in Morrowind (which I beat the game with) was also an Argonian. The tradition must live on! :)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
12 out of 19 of my XBL friends playing oblivion :( there goes my daily GAF-GRAW matches!

Just a few more days and I can join ya'll.

newsguy

Ok, here's my thank you to te guys who gave me advice when I was wondering if I should buy this. After reading about the AI, physics, etc. I decided to buy the game cause I really didn't want to miss out on it (I HATE RPG's). 3 hours in and I'm afraid this will be my WoW. I am thinking about going home to play it while I'm at work, and I haven't felt that way about a game in a while. So I take a little side quest that involves:

going to a town and learing how to do alchemy from some Mages. I get there at night and I can't figure out why I can't find anyone... It was nighttime! LOL shows how many of these games I play. By the time I figure this out I have literally robbed the placed of all of their potions, mixing things, bong looking things ad whatever else they had for sale. Just as I save and look at my inventory I realize that I'm a thief ad my dark elf is indeed dark. Also, on the way there I jacked a horse and witnessed some random guy hunting a deer, after he killed it (since I couldn't kill one myself) I politely talked to him and proceeded to jack all of the shit from his inventory (including the deer meat lol).

A big WTF for me who may actually enjoy and possibly beat his first RPG after 17 years of gaming. Thanks again and I'll update you guys on my newb experiences.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I am loving this game. The combat is awesome.

I have done 3 quests already and I haven't even went to the first main quest landmarker yet :lol

For a neat quest near the impreial big city
go to the waterfront and spend a night in the bloated inn. (Tavern and Inn combined on a boat!)

That one suprised the hell out of me :lol Awesome quest.

Speevy

Banned
According to my local Gamestop, the entire city of Columbus, Ga. (where I live) is sold out of this game.

I'd expect NPD numbers at well over 100K. :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
yeah um

ok after i met the witch about vampirism i was supposed to go back to the lady who was with the count....... HOWEVER bethesda was not nice enough to put a marker or anything and i have no bloody idea where it is now :|

if anybody could tell me it would be nice because i really have no clue where it was and i'm starting to get REALLY frustrated. It's not marked in the journal or as quest information

edit: nevermind!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'll keep this brief.

While playing Resident Evil 4 a little voice inside my head kept saying "you are playing what will end up being Game of the Year". I'm hearing that little voice again while playing Oblivion. There is always the chance that something could come along later this year out of nowhere and knock this game off of the top spot for me but I doubt it. Games simply do not get any more epic than this.

FtsH said:
Don't they usually get the game before it's officially released?

that's what I figured, frankly i am surprised there are no reviews up.

I can't remeber the last time it took this long for there to be reviews.

seriously... GOTY

Hardly ever am I so enthusiastic about something... I almost feel like a viral marketer the way I've been talking about this game to friends and such... especially to ones who I used to spend hours playing daggerfall with...

I need to go back and
find Martin

Prine

Banned
PotatoeMasher said:
seriously... GOTY

Argh god you dont know how hard your making it for me.... only 2 days!

Reminds me of when RE4 hit last year, everyone was going mad about it. Gah

Almost everyone on my friends list is playing Oblivion

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For some reason my luck got permanently damaged. It shows up as a red 9 on my stats. I have no idea how it happened, and sleeping doesn't remove it.

Anyone know how to restore a damaged stat?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
FlyinJ said:
For some reason my luck got permanently damaged. It shows up as a red 9 on my stats. I have no idea how it happened, and sleeping doesn't remove it.

In Morrowind an Almsivi shrine was the place to cure stat damage. Haven't played enough Oblivion to know, but I guess it would be something similar.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I have a couple of quick questions please.

What is the best way to play these games? Should I go straight fighter? Mix of melee and magic?
I'm a little overwhelmed here and I'm pretty much a Morrowind virgin so I don't even know where to start. Quite the big decision right at the start, cause I know the race I choose has a lot to do with skill bonuses and such.

Steve or any dev: I have a save file that causes a crash to desktop. It's no loss for me, as I save often, but I wondered if I should submit the file to anyone for bugfixing. If not, no worries--just trying to help!

Speevy

Banned
You should probably start out as a straight Melee fighter. Just make yourself as strong as possible. Just see what sort of gameplay appeals to you and stick with that.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
FlyinJ said:

Alchemy is the best for this. Start gathering plants & making potions. Alchemy is one of my favorite aspects of this game.

Other than that, some healers in the cathedrals might be able to help you -- they can teach you restoration spells. And I think some shrines will restore attributes as well.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Speevy said:
You should probably start out as a straight Melee fighter. Just make yourself as strong as possible. Just see what sort of gameplay appeals to you and stick with that.

Do I have the chance throughout the game to change my race at all? That doesn't seem likely. How about even after the introduction?

I'll probably just play with a Nord.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Truelize said:
Do I have the chance throughout the game to change my race at all? That doesn't seem likely. How about even after the introduction?

I'll probably just play with a Nord.

You can change everything up to leaving the
Sewer

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
PotatoeMasher said:
Steve or any dev: I have a save file that causes a crash to desktop. It's no loss for me, as I save often, but I wondered if I should submit the file to anyone for bugfixing. If not, no worries--just trying to help!

Post the info in the Hardware & Software Issues forum on the official forums at elderscrolls.com, describing what you're doing at the point of the game save. We've got folks checking what's posted there.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jesus. it's morrowind addiction all over again. i played all day without really noticing, and i'm itching to go back. haven't even bothered with quests yet -- i've been exploring random ruins. i'm just going to force myself to leave the house.

KillJade

Banned
Alski said:

Please, prove me wrong.

i actually awtp. there are too many options lol. it took me about 1 hr to creat a decent looking female woody elf.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i like that character creation is so flexible -- and ultimately characters look a million times better than they did in morrowind -- but it's annoying that moving one slider changes other sliders too. it's less a matter of consciously choosing a look than muddling around until you end up with something you like.

Bloodwake

Great game. I am glad I scrounged up enough money for it at the last minute.

So far I've been sticking to the main quest, but I am starting to go off on the side quests now. I believe that I may end up playing this game until my eyes burn out of their sockets.

So far, GOTY nominee. Definitely.

GreekWolf

Awesome, incredible, wonderful game. I have but ONE minor gripe... and hopefully, it's something that might be remedied through a patch within the next few months -

Playing the 360 version on my Panasonic Plasma, everything is so dark that I have to jack up the brightness level through the Oblivion menu just to see where I'm going. Unfortunately, this washes out the beautiful scenery quite a bit, which is incredibly frustrating, knowing that I'm missing out on the vivid, crisp colors that PC gamers are enjoying.

It's not an issue with the plasma screen or the 360 itself, because Perfect Dark, Need for Speed and all of the Live Arcade games look gorgeous. I remember that King Kong had the same problem, and the devs actually issued a statement, advising everyone not to purchase the 360 version since it was almost impossible to see where you're going, when playing on an HDTV.

syllogism

As expected, the game is amazing. SnakeX, I was right about the AI though ;) NPCs are still great though.

edit: but god, I hope I can get rid of those low resolution textures once my gpu gets here

Speevy

Banned
When I first
walked through the door called "Imperial City Isle
, I was awestruck. You don't see things like that every day.

Also, someone should boot up Morrowind on the Xbox if they have it. :lol

Mrbob

I'm about two hours in so far. X360 version. Have to give props to Bethesda for the controls. Morrowind felt a little clunky with the Xbox pad. Oblvion feels so much smoother and controls great with the X360 pad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GreekWolf said:
Awesome, incredible, wonderful game. I have but ONE minor gripe... and hopefully, it's something that might be remedied through a patch within the next few months -

Playing the 360 version on my Panasonic Plasma, everything is so dark that I have to jack up the brightness level through the Oblivion menu just to see where I'm going. Unfortunately, this washes out the beautiful scenery quite a bit, which is incredibly frustrating, knowing that I'm missing out on the vivid, crisp colors that PC gamers are enjoying.

It's not an issue with the plasma screen or the 360 itself, because Perfect Dark, Need for Speed and all of the Live Arcade games look gorgeous. I remember that King Kong had the same problem, and the devs actually issued a statement, advising everyone not to purchase the 360 version since it was almost impossible to see where you're going, when playing on an HDTV.
The game is indeed quite dark and will require you to adjust your set in order to make up for it. I'm also playing on a plasma, but I've adjusted the set and game to work well together.

I'm not sure just how dark it is supposed to be. My younger sibling is playing on a CRT and it is EXTREMELY dark. Another friend is also playing the game on a DLP set and was commenting on how dark the game is. I just think the damn thing is really dark.

Turn up the brightness within the game just a tad and then adjust your TV a bit. Make sure you aren't using dynamic contrast or anything like that. The black level enhancements on my set made the game significantly darker.

Based on the PC screenshots I've seen floating around, I have things setup fairly well. The PC shots also demonstrate just how dark the game can be.

My biggest complaint is some of the segmentation that occurs in the larger cities. The game managed to maintain a fairly seamless world for the most part...but some areas are quite broken up. The Imperial City is segmented into several zones and the houses within each zone often have several load points within themselves. The loading isn't particularly long, but the maps aren't as unified as they should be. MOST of the game does not suffer from this, though.

Top Bottom