• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

VALIS

Ah. How nice is it to open a game box and find a large fold-out map enclosed? Every game should come with a map. Even Madden. MORE MAPS!!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just came off of a 4h30m play session, but had to post really quick to say:

THANKS Oblivion team!! Steve, you and Vark and the rest of the crew deserve a HUGE pat on the back!

Since everyone's impressions are all basically the same (OMG WOW!), I'll just say that the ruins you are facing when you first see daylight in the game, go there and find a book at the bandit camp, it's entitled "Immortal Blood". It's long, but worth the read 1000x over! If this is any indication of the types of books... I'm going to have to build a fort out of books I have to say.

Other than a 2 hour dungeon crawl, I managed to gain the 2nd rank in the Arena and that's about it.

Back to the game...

Kingpen

I'm a newbie to the series, but the production values are so high on this, I think that it is going to suck a lot of people away from Xbox live for a while.... I have not played the whole thing through obviously and am just starting but with all the small details... I would be shocked if this isn't in the running for game of the year at some point this year. The freaking guide is so nice, and is almost 400 pages long. (DAMMMN)

It is that good. I have not come away from any xbox game with the impression of system seller like the impression this game has given me in the first 3 hours I've played. X360 sure has a lot of really good games, and some truly great ones like GRAW, Oblivion, etc..

I am eagerly waiting for the review scores to start popping up soon.... :)

Xdrive05

Robobandit said:
Well, I've been playing for a while.. performance is a bit lower than I expected, but maybe nvidia's new drivers will help out.

Think I finally got things where I want them (I'm trying to keep the framerate at 30 or higher mostly, I could crank the res but it would be a bit too choppy for my liking)

my final settings, I think. In normal circumstances, it stays in the 40s or so, unless I look out over a big vista like the one in the pic, almost never below 30.. indoor, the framerate is several times higher.

Resolution: 1280x780

Settings:

All at or near Max (1 click away) except for the following -

Object and Item fade in are approximately half way (no need to look half way across a cell and see if a Goblin has barrels at his camp, imho)

Interior and Exterior (Int and Ext) shadows are a little less than half, with exterior being a little lower.

Grass shadows = on

Shadow filtering = high

Tree Canopy shadows = on

Water = high

v-sync disabled

Result? playable to high framerate on my rig, and it still looks pretty.

sweet.jpg

Now, on to the gameplay and overall package impressions... one word sums it up very nicely.. "WOW"

The combat is fluid, I absolutely love the way physics affect everything in the environment, the dungeon designs that I've seen so far are nothing short of incredible. Load times are a split second on my rig for outdoor cells, still quite short for internal ones.

Voice acting is amazing, some of the best I've heard.. I haven't even gotten very far.. I got out of the sewers and then decided I'd go hunting, so I've been killing deer and wolves outside of the Imperial City.

My character was pinned as an Agent, which I decided to go along with. Basing the class suggestion based on how you played the game thus far as an ingenious idea, seamlessly integrated into the game.

My only complaint really is somewhat lower than expected performance, but I can't really find a reason to complain about anything else :)

Excellent Job, Steve, Vark and the rest of the crew, I'm sure it only gets better from here :D

(I'm in love with the packaging of the Collector's Edition, also)

My rig:

Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2048mb pc3200 ddr
eVGA 7800 GTX 256mb @490/1300
HP F2105 21" lcd monitor

I'm running at the same settings as you except I turned off the grass. With the grass on it can get down into the teens on my system, and with it off It stays mostly near 30fps for me. I think we'll get those optimized drivers sometime tomorrow. Maybe then I'll try the grass.

By contrast my indoor framerates are a lot better, and even my city framerates. So about half of the time I play it's running over 40fps.

Bebpo

Banned
I just wanted to chime in and say the packaging on the CE is very nice. In fact, this is probably the nicest box any US console game has ever come in. Lot's of props there.

Also flipped through the strategy guide a bit at the store. Was surprised at how well done it looked. I've never bought a strategy guide before besides the FF/FFT/FFTA Ultimanias, but if I end up liking Oblivion I can definitely see myself picking it up. Seemed like the US version of an Ultimania except without the glossy paper :p

Can't wait to give it a spin, though I don't like multi-tasking rpgs so I'm gonna wait another week or two until I fully complete FFXII first. I haven't played a first person Western rpg since I was like ten years old...this will be interesting.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I spent half an hour on creating my charcters face and it took me 3.5 hours to get out of the training dungeon because I was playing with the rope with skulls on it. Am I going too slow? :lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Price Matching Victory!!! So, I went to Best Buy with the printout of CompUSA's ad. Strolled to the back and picked up a Collector's Edition of Oblivion for X360. Took it to the checkout counter. They price-matched the Collector's Edition to $44.99!

Speed: Just wait until you find the training dummies held down by weights, and try to wrap them around the upper bar :)

Has anyone tried the scales yet? :D

Did anyone try to replicate Galileo's experiment off the imperial tower?

Did anyone try to find out the density of objects by dropping them in water?

This game rocks.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Went into EB and they had 1 copy left of the PC version. It was the limited edition that I didn't plan on buying but shit it was only 60 bucks and I want to play today so I bought it. Unfortunately my laptop can't run this but I will try it out on my desktop at home. I only have a Radeon 9600 so I hope it runs alright.

They had like a billion copies for Xbox360. I wonder if the PC version sold a lot or they just got way more xbox360 versions?

snatches

Definition of Painful:

First off, I'm stuck at work for over an hour and a half, while EB has had my copy of the CE 360 version sitting there since 10:30. Secondly, when I get home, I have to devote at least 3 hours to my wife and kids. Then, if I still have some energy(stayed up finishing GRAW last night), I am gonna try and take a serious dent out of this game. Hell, I might even pull an all nighter.

Who am I kidding I'm not 15 anymore.....*sighs*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, the official boards are quite...painful. I'm suprised at how immature many of the posters seem to be. When you take a step into such places it really puts into perspective just how GOOD the GAF really is.

Anyways, perhaps Steve can comment on this...

I had mentioned my disappointment in the sound transitions previously and was wondering, perhaps, if this was to be considered for any sort of future patch. The lack of transitions between combat and exploration music is jarring, but the fact that the game does not continue with the song that was playing prior to battle is even more so. It really does have quite an impact on the audio experience of the game, which I do feel is very important (especially with music of this quality).

I would really love to see this addressed, though I won't hold my breath.

Tony HoTT

Banned
snatches said:
Definition of Painful:

First off, I'm stuck at work for over an hour and a half, while EB has had my copy of the CE 360 version sitting there since 10:30. Secondly, when I get home, I have to devote at least 3 hours to my wife and kids. Then, if I still have some energy(stayed up finishing GRAW last night), I am gonna try and take a serious dent out of this game. Hell, I might even pull an all nighter.

Who am I kidding I'm not 15 anymore.....*sighs*

Hey I have the game in my backpack and I hate to take a final. I won't be home for another 6 hours! Plus I have another final tomorrow morning so I can't pull an all nighter off without taking a big risk.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
oh my god

did you have to make it so ridiculously hard to get rid of this vampirism crap?

grrrrr 5 grand soul cubes wtf

Speevy

Banned
This game is pure brilliance.

That's all I can say. The character creation. The graphics. The options. The NPC interaction. The combat.

OMG Game of the Year.

Jo-El

ChrisJames said:
This is kind of off topic, but does anyone know if ebgames still has the deal where you can trade in 2 Xbox360 games for a new 360 game? I am tempted to trade in Dead or Alive 4 and Call of Duty 2 for Oblivion. Also, if I only traded in Dead or Alive 4 would I get at least $30 in credit? Any help would be much appreciated.
The deal is still on. I traded Kameo and PGR3 for Oblivion this morning. :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Dopeyfish is going to find himself forcibly silenced unless he gets into the habit of using spoiler tags, hint hint....

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Vennt said:
Dopeyfish is going to find himself forcibly silenced unless he gets into the habit of using spoiler tags, hint hint....

i'm sorry, but i'm just incredibly annoyed right now... i was enjoying this game until it decides to say "eh! you NEED to go out of your way for 10 or so hours to continue enjoying the game again"

Speevy

Banned
Are there people talking about their created characters? I don't know what's a spoiler and what's not, so I'll just tag everything.

My first one is a white Argonian, looks more like a white dragon actually. Really awesome.

.hacked

Anyone encountering any freezing in the X360 Collectors edition?

Put in about 2hrs into it and it just keeps getting worse. it started out with some long pauses while opening boxes or changes menus in you inventory. Now it freezes when I inspect a corpse, box or even open a door.

WTF is going on?

All my other X360 games still work fine.

Speevy

Banned
DopeyFish said:
i'm sorry, but i'm just incredibly annoyed right now... i was enjoying this game until it decides to say "eh! you NEED to go out of your way for 10 or so hours to continue enjoying the game again"

I remember the
curses
from Morrowind did the same thing. Keep multiple save files in the event of such things.

Speevy

Banned
.hacked said:

Put in about 2hrs into it and it just keeps getting worse. it started out with some long pauses while opening boxes or changes menus in you inventory. Now it freezes when I inspect a corpse, box or even open a door.

WTF is going on?

I had some similar problems with Jade Empire. You're talking about dirty disk errors, right? Yeah, apparently they're back for a new generation, though I still think the performance of this game on the 360 is MILES ahead of Morrowind.

RegularMK

Played about an hour, this game is damn near perfect. Only hinderances I've encountered have to do with the music switching like dark10x mentioned and gooey blobby backgrounds. They're minor faults in my opinion, and hardly hinder the greater experience of the game (so far).

Can't wait until I have more time to play.

Dopey:

The thing is in Morrowind and I'm assuming Oblivion (based on Steve's posts), you could cure the disease before you turned into a full-fledged vampire with a simple cure disease potion or something similar.

railGUN

Banned
.hacked said:

WTF is going on?

I just saw this on the Elder Scrolls forum... hope it helps...

Oblivion uses the Xbox 360 hard drive extensively to cache (copy and reuse) game data. This is done to optimize all loading the game does. It has been found in rare cases on some Xbox 360s that the cached data can get overly fragmented. This exhibits itself by the game taking a long time to load anything from menus, dialogue, sounds, objects, levels, and more.

To solve this problem, reset your Xbox, and hold down the A button as the game is booting up. If any button is held while Oblivion is loading, it will clear its hard drive cache, and create a new one. Once you see the “Bethesda Softworks” logo video, the game is already loaded, and the cache should have been cleared.

Note, this does not effect your game in any way other than loading. You will not lose any saved data.

Mrbob

.hacked said:

WTF is going on?

Try to clear your cache off of the X360 HDD. I found this on the elderscrolls.com forum from a Bethesda dev:

Xbox 360 – Long Pauses with Hard Drive"

Oblivion uses the Xbox 360 hard drive extensively to cache (copy and reuse) game data. This is done to optimize all loading the game does. It has been found in rare cases on some Xbox 360s that the cached data can get overly fragmented. This exhibits itself by the game taking a long time to load anything from menus, dialogue, sounds, objects, levels, and more.

To solve this problem, reset your Xbox, and hold down the A button as the game is booting up. If any button is held while Oblivion is loading, it will clear its hard drive cache, and create a new one. Once you see the “Bethesda Softworks” logo video, the game is already loaded, and the cache should have been cleared.

Note, this does not effect your game in any way other than loading. You will not lose any saved data.

.hacked

Speevy said:
I had some similar problems with Jade Empire. You're talking about dirty disk errors, right? Yeah, apparently they're back for a new generation, though I still think the performance of this game on the 360 is MILES ahead of Morrowind.

No not DDEs, I am talking about opening a box and taking a good 2 mins to flip over to the next screen.

Funny it was running fine until my brother made his own character. I am going to delete all my save and start over, if that does not work I'll get the PC version.

Mrbob said:
Try to clear your cache off of the X360 HDD. I found this on the elderscrolls.com forum from a Bethesda dev:

thanks I'll try that!

.hacked

hey looks like that holding A thing worked. My brother is going to make a new guy and run through the opening again before I get too excited :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:
Are there people talking about their created characters? I don't know what's a spoiler and what's not, so I'll just tag everything.

My first one is a white Argonian, looks more like a white dragon actually. Really awesome.

Talking about your created chars is fine, talking about specifics such as solving particular problems such as Dopeys vampirism etc. without using the spoiler tags is not. Some people like to explore and discover such actions for themselves. Thanks.

gblues

Banned
FUCKING UPS!!!

Meridian, ID's Oblivion shipment is stuck somewhere in Kentucky. Probably a bunch of redneck geeks hijacked the van. The manager was going to check the Boise store to see if they had any, but I had to get to work. My wife, bless her heart, is hopefully going to score it for me. If she can't get it, I will have to go to EB and choke a bitch (the clerk, not my wife you freaks!).

Nathan

Vark

gblues said:
FUCKING UPS!!!

Meridian, ID's Oblivion shipment is stuck somewhere in Kentucky. Probably a bunch of redneck geeks hijacked the van. The manager was going to check the Boise store to see if they had any, but I had to get to work. My wife, bless her heart, is hopefully going to score it for me. If she can't get it, I will have to go to EB and choke a bitch (the clerk, not my wife you freaks!).

Nathan

If it makes you feel any better I don't get my copy until Monday :(

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
woo hoo....installing now!

My wife picked it up on her way home. She told me that there were A LOT of angry people at my local EB (Everett, WA) that are angry because due to a shipping error, the "CE" editions did not arrive...thankfully I didn't get one of those so I got my regular edition copy in hand :)

Sucks to be those guys

GreekWolf

:lol Mr. DHL kindly delivered my copy this morning, and I've literally been glued to my 360 the entire day.

You want a testament as to how ridiculously huge this game world is? I've been playing for well over 10 hours, and haven't even had a chance to leave the damn Imperial city yet! Just poking around the markets, watching a few sunsets, sniping a couple of bandits near some local ruins, flirting with all the ladies, hanging around the Inns and chatting with off-duty guards... just kicking back and relaxing. What an amazing game. This truly is a living, breathing fantasy world, and you can spend all of your time doing as much or as little as you'd like.

The best way I can describe Oblivion, is that it's a MMORPG, minus the multiplayer aspect. Awesome.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Vennt said:
Talking about your created chars is fine, talking about specifics such as solving particular problems such as Dopeys vampirism etc. without using the spoiler tags is not. Some people like to explore and discover such actions for themselves. Thanks.

It's not really plot specific though. It doesn't really spoil anything so I don't think you should worry. It's almost as bad as banning someone for saying a phoenix down revives a dead character in Final Fantasy.

Krowley

if anybody with a basic 360 without a HDD bought this game, i would love to hear how it's running... i may buy a 360 later this week, but it will probably have to be a non HDD version, so i would love to hear about the loading times on a system without a hard drive. The impressions here are making me impatient... i just have to play this...

Speevy

Banned
Krowley said:
if anybody with a basic 360 without a HDD bought this game, i would love to hear how it's running... i may buy a 360 later this week, but it will probably have to be a non HDD version, so i would love to hear about the loading times on a system without a hard drive. The impressions here are making me impatient... i just have to play this...

Believe me when I say that regardless of the game you're playing, the Xbox 360 is a shell of a system without its hard drive.

Just save up and get it.

Mrbob

Kabuki Waq said:
considering how much the game loads with HDD it think it would be next to unplayable without it.

I'm thinking about detaching the hdd just to see how the game plays without it. Someone should be a guinea pig and do this for GAF. It would be interesting to see the comparison. I watched some oblivion videos and I notice it loads slightly when you walk around outside at various points. I wonder how long this loading would be w/o the hdd.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Orodreth said:
For anyone thinking about importing the game unfortunately its been confirmed as not region free.

ARGH

Thanks for posting this though! I believe the Asian version of the game is coming out very soon anyway. Might be able to get it cheaper, too! (Play-Asia was selling the Asian GRAW for $39.99)

Top Bottom