• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

how does the law enforcement
know you stole something though? i broke into that dudes house late at night, no one could have possibly seen me! and he couldn't have reported it in that small amount of time either
.... ricockulous!

p.s. the 360 framerate is more or less pretty steady. i have seen it dip kinda low (15-20 or so), but for the most part it is good (30 fps)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's a pretty solid 30fps. When it streams in new terrain data while walking far distances, it chugs for about 2 seconds.

I guess my only other complaint is navigating the main city. So many load zones, and they are by far the longest loads I've seen in the game.

Speevy

Banned
FMT: That's not what I meant.

Do you understand the difference between saying "There are guards in the game that will arrest you for being a thief." and
I joined the Dark Brotherhood
?

Borys said:
The "Bethesda is in bed with Microsoft!" conspiracy theories are really stupid and not exactly true.

PC gamers like me really don't *need* to complain because The Elder Scrolls IV is:

- first PC RPG with bumpmapping on majority of textures (Arx Fatalis got it maybe on 5-10 textures through the entire game)
- first PC RPG with physics
- just an awesome game from what I read

Of course we *can* complain and no number of 360 fans singing praises will take this right away from us.

isnt it possible to have a high end pc and/or enjoy 360?

I have a a64 4000 2 gigs of ram and a 7800 gtx, I still got the 360 version, ill get the pc version later for the mods if at all.

take this hobby too personal man, enjoy teh games : :D

FlyinJ said:
The game is fantastic so far.

My only complaint is the Dpad hotkeys. We all know how much the 360 Dpad sucks. Hitting diagonals is a total crapshoot. And only being able to key 8 things seems a bit limited.

Other than that... man is it good.

Hold the directional key down and the d-pad map will pop up and you can see what you're highlighting. Once you make sure it's over the correct spell, just let go.

besides that they are literally 2 different things there is no difference. "being arrested for stealing" and "joining the dark brotherhood" are both spoilers for someone who doesn't know about them or hasn't played the game. if we are going to use spoiler tags, lets appeal to the lowest common denominator and assume there are people reading who have not played the game yet ;)

otherwise, im going to be a butterknife in your side and spoil everything about the game before you get to it!

my characters name is jgar!

gblues

Banned
Woot! My wife was successfull, and I will not have to choke a bitch.

Chargen is awesome. Using a photo from my DirecTV badge, I was able to make a character that looks eerily similar to me. That was both incredible and eerily disturbing.

Performance on my rig is actually pretty good, but I've encountered several bizarre graphical issues:

- Once, when I exited into an external area, the entire screen flashed weirdly. I could make things out (like rocks and such) but the entire screen was spazzing out unless I went back inside. I had to save and then load my saved game to fix it.
- The automap will get randomly corrupted with garbage.

For all the gripes I've seen about loading, I haven't noticed it too much. I've seen the "Loading area" message but it didn't pause the whole damn game like Morrowind did.

Archery. Goddamn it's a beautiful thing. I found a mine and went through it with my bow, arrow notched and ready to go like a medieval Jack Bauer. Arrows hit bandits with a satisfying THUMP. And then I get to take back my arrows.

My framerate is pretty low--probably neighborhood of 15-20fps--but it's quite playable on my GeForce 6200 (minor graphic problems aside). I'm thinking of picking up an ASUS N6800TD but reports of the NVidia reference drivers not working are keeping me from dropping the hammer. Still, don't know if I can find a better card for $169.

Nathan

Scott

I don't think this has been posted in here yet:
Xbox 360 will continue to deliver new online gaming and entertainment experiences including the "Battlefield 2: Modern Combat" game demo (Electronic Arts), the "Burnout Revenge" game trailer (Electronic Arts), and the "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" Horse Armor Pack (Bethesda Softworks/2K Games), which will all be available this spring on Xbox Live Marketplace.
Source: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060321/sftu067.html

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Broken quest. Rockbiter:

You go to the cave and kill her husband, but not only does the husband drop the Rockbiter that he's fighting with, there's also a duplicate copy on his corpse. So I have two of them now, both quest items that I can't drop. I go back to the wife and there's no advancement in the quest, she's still asking me to find her husband and get Rockbiter back.

Question about the
stolen goods shopkeeper
quest in imperial city.

So I followed that dude who's name begins with an A (can't remember) back to his home. The game is telling me to wait until he comes out and go explore his house. Well...he doesn't seem to want to come out. Do i have to wait right outside without "waiting" some hours past? I've tried using the wait function but he never seems to be out. Is there something I have to do to get him to come out?

Bebpo

Banned
FlyinJ said:
It's a pretty solid 30fps. When it streams in new terrain data while walking far distances, it chugs for about 2 seconds.

I guess my only other complaint is navigating the main city. So many load zones, and they are by far the longest loads I've seen in the game.

Yeah, playing it further the framerate is decent but at random times it really dips and becomes a slideshow. Like in the first dungeon whenever you'd get to an area with the king and guards it's go from nice and smooth (when you were alone fighting enemies in the dungeon) to chop chop chop as the NPCs skipped around slashing at things and enemies jumped at you. But then you go into the city which is big and has people walking around and it's perfectly stable 30fps. It's like it's random.

And then yeah, everytime it's caching something the framerate bogs down as your walking. Which can be kinda annoying if you're fighting and running and the framerate just falls apart.

Otherwise yeah, great art + nice lighting = good looking game.

Pellham

Banned
btw playing this game with a raid 0 setup is definately the way to go. I see "Now Loading" popups all the time, but the entire thing is seamless, there's no actual load time! Even saving is seamless.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
The game is friggin awesome :D

I need help!!!

Spoiler tags just to be safe...

Someone spill ALL the beans on Vampirism in the game... I'm being offered a chance and I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting into.

The character is an assassin type that uses mainly bows and some daggers/blades.

I'd optimallly like to know exactly how it works, the pros and cons, and what influence this will have on other guilds outside of the Dark Brotherhood.

Spencerr

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
I need help!!!

Spoiler tags just to be safe...

Someone spill ALL the beans on Vampirism in the game... I'm being offered a chance and I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting into.

The character is an assassin type that uses mainly bows and some daggers/blades.

I'd optimallly like to know exactly how it works, the pros and cons, and what influence this will have on other guilds outside of the Dark Brotherhood.

I think I might want to do it too, but I don't want it to limit me too much...

WHOAguitarninja: I used the wait function, and it worked fine. It did take quite a while, just waiting an hour at a time, but he left eventually, and did so while I was "active," so I could see him leave.

It seems like the game is designed to delay stuff like that until you come out of your wait period so you don't miss it.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So far I have only done a few quests....

Wierdest has to be...

The quest where you go into a magic painting to find a womans lost husband. He makes you kill badly painted trolls in an odd paint world lol.

The whole invisible town one was odd too

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Jesus I need to go to sleep. I started playing at 9:30pm and now it's 2am. :(

And I just got to the emperial city too... After getting out of the first dungeon, I just wandered around and cleaned out two nearby dungeons... I'm currently a Breton spellsword.

This game is awesome! goddamn...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I played for like two minutes at the MS press event and then I got pulled to go talk to Chris Satchell. Everything conspires against me to not play this game!. I totally wrecked some monsters with falling logs though, that was sweet.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
rod said:
anyone got the PAL rls of the game? if so is it region free?

Dunno if it's region free (I only have a PAL system), but it's 60Hz only (like DOA4).

BTW, I have a question about the difficulty slide in the gameplay option menu. What are the consequences of using it? I mean, do you get less exp playing on easy and more playing on hard? I find it strange that you can change it so easly whenever you want. Was this feature also available in Morrowind?

Vark

Spencerr said:
I think I might want to do it too, but I don't want it to limit me too much...
\

HUGE VAMPIRE SPOILERS

I'm not going to drop specifics, but here's the gist:

As you become more and more of a vampire (based on days passed) you get more special powers, stealth bonuses, strength bonuses, and spells and abilities. Your disposition also drops like a rock.

When you feed you regress back to 'normal' vampirism which gives you atheletics and acrobatics boosts as well as a few other things and you will lose your new spells and abilities but people won't hate you

on the 2nd? (I think, or 3rd) day, you'll start taking sun damage, if you're outside during the day you'll start smoking and it hurts. Feeding will get rid of that.

Basically, if you feed every day, you get a nice stat boost without too many negative aspects, the longer you let it fester, the better abilities you get, but the more sun damage and disposition drops you get making you more of a night dweller.

Vark

TTP said:
Dunno if it's region free (I only have a PAL system), but it's 60Hz only (like DOA4).

BTW, I have a question about the difficulty slide in the gameplay option menu. What are the consequences of using it? I mean, do you get less exp playing on easy and more playing on hard? I find it strange that you can change it so easly whenever you want. Was this feature also available in Morrowind?

changing the difficultly slider lowers the amount of damage you take, AND increases the amount of damage you do.

If you want to have fun just drop it to all the way easy, and go slaughter the innocents. People go flying when you kill them.

You don't necessarily get an XP penalty BUT since XP is based on use, for example your BLADE skill won't go up as much since one hit kills a person, same with other attack based skills. Your defense based skills can level faster though since you can take more hits with less damage.

Um, where do I buy lockpicks? The guy who inducted me into the thieves guild used to offer, but doesn't now, and I'm wondering if I need to head out somewhere to get some.

DarkRage

What about languages in the PAL release?

Do you know if the PAL release is including subtitles in Spanish and Italian? AFAIK Oblivion audio has been localized for Germany and France, and Italy and Spain are going with English audio and subtitles in Italian and Spanish. I would rather prefer to buy my copy in Spain, and have audio and subtitles synchronized in English, rather than listening English and reading Spanish when needed.

So can anyone with the PAL 360 version make a simple test changing the language of the console and checking what subtitles are included? PC version is 4.5 GB, so my guess is that the same version is used for UK, Italy and Spain, at least, but I don't know it for sure, and I don't know if buy it in a local store in Spain or in play.com.

Thanks guys!!!

Vark

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Um, where do I buy lockpicks? The guy who inducted me into the thieves guild used to offer, but doesn't now, and I'm wondering if I need to head out somewhere to get some.

fence

goblin and bandit caves are also full of lockpicks.

also

nother huge spoiler

at level 10 you can do the shrine of noctural quest. It's pretty easy and the reward is an unbreakable lockpick. By FAR the most useful item in the game

I've seen allusions to "fence" in the game, though I haven't done anything with regard to the Thieves Guild yet (need them for a DB quest)... so where can I find them in the city?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
chespace said:
Jesus I need to go to sleep. I started playing at 9:30pm and now it's 2am. :(

And I just got to the emperial city too... After getting out of the first dungeon, I just wandered around and cleaned out two nearby dungeons... I'm currently a Breton spellsword.

This game is awesome! goddamn...
One of your colleages from 1up had the greatest idea: The Fucko class is something I'll try to convince Bethesda to implement in all future TES games.

Would you like to be a Fucko?
Yes No

Borys

Banned
To end the pointless PC vs 360 war in which I took part myself:

This could very well be the case. It appears the 360 version has AA+HDR, with everything else set to max details.

The PC can have higher rez/higher AA/AF at max details with AA or HDR. At least this is what has been reported thus far.

I am kinda waiting for some people like Jijen, Ruzyo, SwingingSushi have have 360s and highend PCs who plan to buy both...probably the best chance to give some real perspective.

Some people are PC elitists who immediately pan the 360 version with no caveat, no cred. Others on the console board go on and on about the 360 being the best thing ever, again, no cred.

The PC will have free user mods, that is enough for some people to not even consider the 360 version, regardless if their PC forces med details.

The 360 will provide gfx of a PC far outside many people's budget, for them it is the only choice.

There are plenty of us like myself who kinda pick and choose, smart enough to realize the 360 is a stable platform that costs about what one gfx card does, but also know it doesn't work as well for certain game types.

I have a pre-order collectors ed for the 360 at an extremely good price...but if enough reports come out that my 7800GT can provide a better experience in the areas that are important to me, I have no problem selling it and going PC

Best post ever.

Orodreth

Lyte Edge said:
ARGH

Thanks for posting this though! I believe the Asian version of the game is coming out very soon anyway. Might be able to get it cheaper, too! (Play-Asia was selling the Asian GRAW for $39.99)

Yep, the Asian version release is April ( still not exact date ) and price is simmilar to GRAW.

Don´t remember the CE being listed in play-asia, though .

rod said:
Anyone got the PAL rls of the game? if so is it region free?

Its not region free.
In spain some stores were already selling them yesterday and almost everyone will be able to get it today.

Game uk is delivering preorders also.

Borys

Banned
n-off said:
so... what are the current tweaks for that ini file?
Does somebody have an overview?

CURRENT PC MOD(IFICATION)S:

- water reflects all objects (people, npcs, trees etc.)
- compas removed
- draw distance + green blob LOD fix

Check this out:

586461868l4to.jpg

586462682l3vj.jpg

586463436l2ri.jpg

586464058l3jb.jpg

Before (official PC max settings):
0787d372e26en.jpg

INI edited:
f542870dc74gr.jpg

DarkRage said:
What about languages in the PAL release?

Do you know if the PAL release is including subtitles in Spanish and Italian? AFAIK Oblivion audio has been localized for Germany and France, and Italy and Spain are going with English audio and subtitles in Italian and Spanish. I would rather prefer to buy my copy in Spain, and have audio and subtitles synchronized in English, rather than listening English and reading Spanish when needed.

So can anyone with the PAL 360 version make a simple test changing the language of the console and checking what subtitles are included? PC version is 4.5 GB, so my guess is that the same version is used for UK, Italy and Spain, at least, but I don't know it for sure, and I don't know if buy it in a local store in Spain or in play.com.

Thanks guys!!!

AFAIK, There's no multilanguage option. Spanish version is different from the UK one.

Borys, dropping from 37 to 21 frames per second on a scene that has NO characters or enemies is absolutely awful.

But the game look much much much better :D

Borys

Banned
Holy fuck is this game beautiful. Hats off to Bethesda.

12.jpg

10.jpg

0.jpg

1.jpg

66.jpg

22.jpg

55.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

3.jpg

Oblivion%202006-03-21%2023-01-46-53.JPG

I just want to thanks B. for even releasing this game on the PC - thank you guys, an honest thanks from someone who doesn't own a 360.

Thank you!

Satyrday can't come soon enough.

DarkRage

Vaandaviii said:
AFAIK, There's no multilanguage option. Spanish version is different from the UK one.

Arrrgh, bad news. It doesn't make a lot of sense, they could save on replication costs.
I don't know about the 360 version, but with a PC version around 4.5GB, they could even have all the languages in the same DVD.

Have you already tested? Where can it be found in Spain today? My brother wants to buy a 360+Oblivion in a Game store, as he can save some money with that offer.

thanks Daviii / Truñaso :)

Helznicht

Che, how did you this:

I just got out too and
cleaned out all the bandits, but in the very back there are a couple tombs, in one of them there is a floor panel that opens a secret passage into alot more tombs. There was a zombie there that fuck owned me and there is a lvl 3 locked door I cant get past.

Help.

SonnyBoy

The last RPG type game I played was Xenogears and even then I was lost. Im loving this game but the scope us ridiculously large. I dont know where to start and I know Im going to be hard pressed to find time for this game. =(

Xdrive05

Helznicht said:
Che, how did you this:

I just got out too and
cleaned out all the bandits, but in the very back there are a couple tombs, in one of them there is a floor panel that opens a secret passage into alot more tombs. There was a zombie there that fuck owned me and there is a lvl 3 locked door I cant get past.

Help.

I found a solution to that impossible zombie, after getting killed over and over and over again. I found him when I was lvl1 btw. So what I did was I kept running around in circles in the room, staying just out of arm's reach from him, and kept casting a
summon spell that would call a skeleton warrior to fight for me (my character is a dark elf). Every skeleton I summoned went down in like two hits from the zombie but I just kept doing it over and over again until it died. I think there is one more zombie just as tough as him right after you beat him too, if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps. :)

Not much time today, as I have to go to a company retreat. Ugh. Yes, that's going to suck, knowning I'd rather be playing Oblivion.

Anyway, some quick thoughts on the game. It's incredible, as everyone else has been saying. Graphics are very impressive, although I do see what the reviews are saying about the low res textures on distant objects. Not quite blue and green blobs, but still a little low res. Otherwise, everything is amazing, including great use of lighting.

The D-pad hasn't been an issue for me at all. I guess I got lucky and have one that has diagnols that work well. I've filled up the 8 slots pretty quickly though, and I do think wading through your inventory could be a bit better.

I haven't seen any real Radiant AI stand out moments yet, but it is still interesting to watch people go about their day. The world feels much more alive than in Morrowind. I have seen the NPC's carry on conversations, but they all worked well when I listened in. Nothing to complain about like in that one early review.

The load times were expected, so haven't bothered me, and it's interesting how much they drop off after you play a bit. I'm sure the hard drive is coming into play there, and it makes a huge difference.

Overall, it was worth the wait. Great game, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. Congrats to Bethesda, and thanks Steve and Vark for making such an awesome game.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I forgot to share a great radiant AI moment I had last night.

I was walking around the imperial city and some guy jumped off the top of a building and ended up killing himself!!

I went the check the body (and pocket the key to his house) and his brothers were standing around him looking at his body. Then one of them goes "Stupid idiot. He always did like jumping off things."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Regarding the low resolution distance textures...

I'm not convinced that it was a simple memory issue. With a draw distance extending out so incredibly far, drawing high resolutions textures would have resulted in messy looking terrain with repeating patterns galore. Using the current textures, it takes on the appearance of a 3D rendered topographic map of some sort. I've seen games with long draw distances attempt to use high resolution textures and it just looks sloppy. Far Cry used the same sort of texturing at a distance as well, though the terrain itself was often a bit rougher.

I think it's pretty foolish to assume that BethSoft purposely limited the PC version to prevent it from looking better than the XBOX360 version, to be honest. I mean, Borys is flying off the handle about it...yet his best results thus far resulted in the framerate nearly dropping in half. I'd say, as of this moment, the game is easily the best looking RPG the PC has ever seen. Bar none. Yet, despite that, the complaints are coming hard and fast.

One disappointing thing is the lack of AA + HDR (though it seems possible). The 360 version really does seem to use AA and the results are quite impressive. On my HD Plasma display, the game has the image quality of a CG video clip with absolutely no jagged or rough edges to be found anywhere. This softens the blow of the LOD (trees, BTW, really don't look like "green blobs" to me either) and low resolution distance textures, however, as they don't stick out in a rough fashion. Without AA and when viewing the game up close, I'd imagine those issues stand out a bit more. The PC version lacks the soft look of the 360 version, it would seem (which I love).

Looking at the "official" max PC shots, the distance objects DO look a lot rougher than they do while playing the 360 version. Those shots Borys posted above (at dusk) are quite rough indeed.

Anamoly

Borys said:
Holy fuck is this game beautiful. Hats off to Bethesda.

12.jpg

10.jpg

0.jpg

1.jpg

66.jpg

22.jpg

55.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

3.jpg

Oblivion%202006-03-21%2023-01-46-53.JPG

The LOD does look a little better, but whats the cost to the framerate?If its anything near 10-15 fps w/ no characters on screen, these tweaks probably aren't worth it. I'll have to check this out when my friend gets the PC version this weekend.

Top Bottom