• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Just got the game a few hours ago, made it outside but im still not sure about my character.

Anyone who played the game quite far know if magic users in oblivion dont suffer from being weak and incompetent like in morrowind? Magic in morrowind was really not worth it, im wondering if they "fixed" that for oblivion.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
FrenchMovieTheme said:
im loving the game so far, but a few questions:

1. who do i sell unwanted items to? none of the shopkeepers i have spoken to give me that option.
2. am i supposed to be manually attributing experience points to certain fields? i am still on "level 1" but i don't see any option to distribute experience points. is it done automatically?
3. can i turn my back on whatever guild i join and join a new guild? or can i be part of multiple guilds?

i think i might buy the strategy book for this game, seems to be too complex for my mind to grasp at this juncture O_O

I think you are complicating the game by overthinking. ;)

1. I think you need to sell wares to shopkeepers that fit the specific category(weapons/armor to an smithshop; potions to an alchemist; etc...) Or if you are not sure how to see the 'sell menu' just hit trigger when in the buy menu. You switch manually between buy and sell functions much like tabbing through inventory in the submenu.

2. On your character page you see a select number of 'Major skills' around 7 of them. When you raise a rank in any of those, you gain a point toward leveling up your character. Do that 10 times, and the game says you will level the next time you sleep or rest. You can also level minor skills, but they won't get you to level 2 and beyond.

3. I'm pretty sure you can join any guild freely. Morrowind had this thing where you certain guilds/factions would close off depending on which you chose to do quests for, but this game seems to drop all that.

The first thing I've done when I've seen the light is to spot the highest mountain and reach the summit... And there were about 10 higher peaks around me. That's the fucking Karakorum :lol :lol

raYne

Fallofmart said:
I know the contents I just wanted opinions on them from people who actually owned it but nevermind :)
So you just want someone to tell you how to spend your own money? In that case.. Go for it!

:p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
gee...this world is a little larger than Liberty City.

BTW, how much "encomburence" does you guys have? I'm sitting in "meh" Ville with a beginning of 150. I HAVE to assume it's higher for races/jobs, etc.

Dr_Cogent said:
What's an Agent?

[side note]This thread is going to compete with the RE4 thread - I can just tell :)

An Agent is kind of a mix between a thief, a rogue and an assassin, I think.

I have security, sneak, marksmanship, arcobatics, illusion, speechcraft and mercantile, I think :)

A lot of fun, I now understand how you still have a lock pick in jail.. even if you had 50 or 100 of them when you got thrown into the slammer, they'll confiscate all of them.. except for 1. It would be easy for them to miss a single lock pick when they searched you, so that makes it plausible :D

Anyway, I'm currently looking for the painter's wife in Cheydinheral(spelling).. I'm going to waste so much time on this game

raYne said:
So you just want someone to tell you how to spend your own money? In that case.. Go for it!

:p

For fucks sake, I only asked for advice on whether something was worth paying extra for, do you really need to be difficult?

raYne

Lonestar said:

BTW, how much "encomburence" does you guys have? I'm sitting in "meh" Ville with a beginning of 150. I HAVE to assume it's higher for races/jobs, etc.
Yeah, different races have different stats, but you gain more just by playing (levelling up) anyway. I'm around 250 at the moment and might've started at or near 150 as well.

SonnyBoy said:
Also, I stole a horse right infront of a guy and he didn't even say anything. I stole a horse once before and it kept wandering off, this horse will stay right where I leave him.
The second horse I stole, I took right out of the stable with the owner watching me. Didn't say a thing either. Like yours though, it kept wandering off when I dismounted. I just abandoned it when I went to a dungeon.

No clue about the first part of your post.

Fallofmart said:
For fucks sake, I only asked for advice on whether something was worth paying extra for, do you really need to be difficult?
Did I not say "go for it!"? Or do you need someone else to make up your mind about taking that advice as well?
The initial part of that reply was a joke btw, hence the ":p"

raYne said:
Did I not say "go for it!"? Or do you need someone else to make up your mind about taking that advice as well?
The initial part of that reply was a joke btw, hence the ":p"

Dammit! Sorry then :) that's like the third thread today where people have totally missed jokes/sarcasm.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Lonestar said:

Every 1 point of strength added adds 5 pounds more to your encumburence. There's also all sorts of spells and enchantments to make items weigh less in the later game.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
raYne said:
The horse controls suck by the way... as does the fact that you can't attack while on horseback.
or do you learn that eventually?

No. You can't ever attack from the horse. I know this because of an interview I listened to.

SonnyBoy

I think my POS 360 is destroying my games! 1st Madden and now Oblivion has this weird wavey thing going on the underside of the disc...

FlyinJ said:
Every 1 point of strength added adds 5 pounds more to your encumburence. There's also all sorts of spells and enchantments to make items weigh less in the later game.

I'm at 335 as a Nord.
If you're looking to Mage Guild it up, better crank that to at least 150. That' all I'm gonna say.

pestul

Ok, so my Fiancee just got pissed at me for playing the game too slowly. Come on, I'm just trying to soak it all in. She's just hardcore I guess. :O

The fighting that I've experienced so far is very satisfying. Much more interesting than Morrowind.

pestul

I should have mentioned that I snagged the last available copy of Oblivion (all versions - I got the 360CE) in the city today. Guy at microplay was nice enough to honor my 1 day pre-order without money down. A half hour later, he would have sold it. :lol

born_bad

Anyone done the mission yet with the town full of invisible people yet?

I did the mission, but for some reason, it made my luck stat drop from 45 to 4 (it's a red number now). Any ideas on how or why that happened? How do I get my luck stat back up?

I cured disease since I also had one (unrelated to that mission), but that didn't fix it.

born_bad said:
I cured disease since I also had one (unrelated to that mission), but that didn't fix it.

There are Restore Stat pots available.

PLUS: Anyone having trouble finding the 360 version? I found a stack of regular editions at both Target and TRU, as well some CE's at TRU. Keep looking!

Maybe this question was answered earlier, but I didn't see it. How does the game determine stat multipliers upon levelling your character? Also, what is the maximum multiplier you can get? Thanks.

"Maybe this question was answered earlier, but I didn't see it. How does the game determine stat multipliers upon levelling your character? Also, what is the maximum multiplier you can get? Thanks."

I'm pretty sure stat multipliers are decided by how many times during that level you increased a skill tied to that attribute. So if you increase a lot of skills tied to agility, you can get a higher stat increase to Agility when you level.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can you store items in the guild living quarters' chests once you join them? Or do they disappear over time like everything else?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Teknopathetic said:
"Maybe this question was answered earlier, but I didn't see it. How does the game determine stat multipliers upon levelling your character? Also, what is the maximum multiplier you can get? Thanks."

I'm pretty sure stat multipliers are decided by how many times during that level you increased a skill tied to that attribute. So if you increase a lot of skills tied to agility, you can get a higher stat increase to Agility when you level.

Is it cumulative from level to level,

IE you levels up speechcraft, which effects personality, 5 times from level 1 to 2, but you needed to level it up 6 times for it to get a bonus. You level it up once more from 2 to 3, does it cound the unused 1 to 2?

"IE you levels up speechcraft, which effects personality, 5 times from level 1 to 2, but you needed to level it up 6 times for it to get a bonus. You level it up once more from 2 to 3, does it cound the unused 1 to 2?"

I don't think so.

Teknopathetic said:

Is any of this behind the scenes game info in the strat guide? I flipped through it, and it seemed to be only weaksauce quest spoilers.

"Is any of this behind the scenes game info in the strat guide? I flipped through it, and it seemed to be only weaksauce quest spoilers."

I dunno, it's just my assumption based off previous Elder Scrolls games and observation.

Teknopathetic said:
"Is any of this behind the scenes game info in the strat guide? I flipped through it, and it seemed to be only weaksauce quest spoilers."

I dunno, it's just my assumption based off previous Elder Scrolls games and observation.

That's cool. It was just a general question to those that have the guide. :)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
krypt0nian said:
That's cool. It was just a general question to those that have the guide. :)

I should get the guide tomorow, i'll post that bit of info if its got it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well, Oblivion gave my 360 it's first official lockup. I've had it for about 3 months, and have played around 10 different games on it extensively. Not one problem yet.

I hope it was the game code and not the console. I was talking to a guy in a tavern in Anvil, ended the conversation, then turned right for half a second. Then, boom, lockup.

I think the music kept playing.

Fifty

I haven't had any more lockups yet, but I did see the weirdest glitch in one of the towns. I should have taken a picture. One of the townsfolk was walking around........30 feet above me. He was literally walking in the sky. Dammit I really should have taken a picture!

SonnyBoy

Fifty said:
I haven't had any more lockups yet, but I did see the weirdest glitch in one of the towns. I should have taken a picture. One of the townsfolk was walking around........30 feet above me. He was literally walking in the sky. Dammit I really should have taken a picture!

My 360 locked up 4 times today. I took a picture of a woman who was swimming in midair. Ill post it tommorow.

TeTr1C

I bought this yesterday along with the 350+ page Prima strategy guide. I was able to play it for like an hour last night, and half of that time was spent making my character.

Today, I was playing for a short amount of time, where I get the Amulet and finally go outside. It's way too overwhelming! :D The game is absolutely beautiful. I went on top of a hill and watched the sun set. That's the first thing I did, besides killing a few crabs. :lol

Right now I'm headed to the nearest alchemist to see if some plant can be used for alchemy.

Oblivion is crashing a lot on me. The first 3-4 times it would crash when I was quitting the game so it wasn't so bad. Just now though, it crashed while I was in the middle of a quest. :(

SonnyBoy

The Shadow said:
Oblivion is crashing a lot on me. The first 3-4 times it would crash when I was quitting the game so it wasn't so bad. Just now though, it crashed while I was in the middle of a quest. :(

I wonder how big of an issue this is going to be. Honestly, it seems like with every new game I purchase I experience a new graphical glitch.

Is this typical of console hardware thats still relatively new? This is the 1st time Ive purchased a console at launch.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The Shadow said:

Go to the Hardware & Software Issues thread on the official forums at elderscrolls.com. You may find answers, and if not, you can post what happened. We've got folks monitoring it to identify issues people are having.

SonnyBoy

SteveMeister said:
Go to the Hardware & Software Issues thread on the official forums at elderscrolls.com. You may find answers, and if not, you can post what happened. We've got folks monitoring it to identify issues people are having.

I have tried the cache clearing option but it still locked up on me. Ill definately take a trip over there if I think Ive noticed a patern or anything useful. Im not infront of my 360 but it locked up 3-4 times in one particular area when I was joinging the theives guild.

Speevy

Banned
I've had no freezes, but rather two disk read errors. Never repeated the same one though.

Everyone, these things are going to happen. What's going on in the game pretty much guarantees it.

The Dark Brotherhood stuff is great.

Having you settle in with all of these warm, sympathetic fellow assassins, all of them always glad to see you... until you get orders from higher up to murder every last one of them. Cool reward for that, too.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fifty said:

Ive had it where all the sudden im being attacked and nothing is around me.Like a wolf/rat for example doesnt load and its invisible.I'm able to kill it just by swinging and then its body appears when it dies.

Happened like 3 times today :\

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Hey, I'm actually *hoping* it's Oblivion crashing my 360. All games have bugs. It would suck if it was my actual hardware.

belgurdo

Banned
Earlier today I was going on my typical bandit hunts and got in a minor fight at Sinkhole Cave...a female bandit and a guard dog were chasing me around a high precipice while I healed. There are planks all over said precipice that give way if too much weight is applied to them. As I ran, I noticed that the "battle" music cut out suddenly as soon as I got across the planks in barely enough time...both the bandit and her dog apprently fell to their deaths in the middle of the gap because all three of us were on the plank at the same time. Real Wile E. Coyote type shit :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Kabuki Waq said:
my game lock up only when i use the rune stone and then try to leave with the armour and weapons equipped.

Sounds like Oblivion will get a patch in the next couple weeks. Oh well. This is nothing compared to Pirates of the Carribean... :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ok, I think I've
turned into a Vampire. Everybody is scared of me, even the guy at the University that is supposed to be able to cure me. How do I get human again?

screenshot28sh.jpg

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Have run into a few really annoying bugs.

1. I can get some lockpicking sound to repeat over and over again. Even after the door is unlocked, and I am even inside where I was breaking in - the lockpicking sound goes on and on ad nauseum.

2. I actually had an NPC floating in the air unable to move. He tried to walk, but couldn't go anywhere - and was something like 7 feet off the ground too!

I dunno if these issues can be patched or not - but it would be nice. I've run into the lock picking sound repeat bug 3 times now.

Top Bottom