• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

snatches

OK, this thread is full of impressions so lets just say my impressions so far are:

=O =O =O =O

OK, I'm an ES noob so can you sell extra items in your inventory? I went to a couple shops and can't find a sell button.

I know, lame, but what do I do to unload my extra gear besides drop it in a pile?

Sysgen said:
Then I found out the merchantile experts can invest their gold in stores. *WHAT*. Should I change Armorer for Merchantile though?

My Attributes
*Speechcraft, I like the free rotation on the persuade wheel.
*Blunt, I'm a big fan of maces, flails etc...
*Hand to Hand, Too much fun draining fatigue from your enemy.
*Illusion no, only magic skill not tied to Intelligence or Wisdom.
*Block.
*Endurance.
*Armorer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you level up Mercantile, even if you don't have it as a Major Skill?

I picked Crusader and it seems to be the bee's knees so far, as I'm owning everyone on my friends list by a FULL LEVEL (and I'll be Level 3 after another hour playing, probs.) I level up with Destruction Magic, Heavy Armor, Blunt (FOOOOWWWWTWENNNNAY!!!! Sorry, there are so many potheads playing Burnout on Live.), Acrobatics, and some other things.

I'm quite sure, though, that you can become an expert in anything at all, it's just those seven or eight things that will contribute to your overall level as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
snatches said:
OK, this thread is full of impressions so lets just say my impressions so far are:

=O =O =O =O

OK, I'm an ES noob so can you sell extra items in your inventory? I went to a couple shops and can't find a sell button.

I know, lame, but what do I do to unload my extra gear besides drop it in a pile?

Yeah you can sell your stuff, just click on the left-hand bag icon thinger when you're in the buy screen and it'll switch to sell mode.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
snatches said:
Just in case, most merchants won't buy stolen items. Apparently they won't show up on the list of things you have to sell at all. I learned this from one of the loading screens. :lol

Sysgen

EviLore said:
Yeah you can sell your stuff, just click on the left-hand bag icon thinger when you're in the buy screen and it'll switch to sell mode.

yea, left trigger, right trigger moves you back and forth between your inventory and the seller, container, body etc... so that you can place items in your inventory on bodies :)

Sysgen said:
yea, left trigger, right trigger moves you back and forth between your inventory and the seller, container, body etc... so that you can place items in your inventory on bodies :)

Holy shit. Never realized I can do that. "Here's a spoon, Gobby. Good luck with all that."

Sysgen

Got this from another forum. If someone can confirm this applies also to Speechcraft experts I will be very grateful.

Something that wasnt mentioned and that I would like to share is the new type of "banking" system if youd call it for lack of a better name.

In Oblivion, there is no mudcrab or creeper this time... however there is the ability to invest in merchants as a merchant perk (ability once merchantile or speechcraft has been leveled high).... This saves a lot of trouble.... For example....

Say a merchant has a base stock of 1,000 gold. Each time he restocks, he will always have 1,000 gold. Do you want to sell the 5,000 gold armor? Well, now you can... So what you can do is invest in a merchant... You do this by giving him gold.... say 200 gold.... From that point on, each time he restocks his store, he will have 1,200 gold.... and so on... so eventually, you can get a merchant to have up to 10,000 gold so you can actually make profit on all of your items.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Sysgen said:
Got this from another forum. If someone can confirm this applies also to Speechcraft experts I will be very grateful.

I'm not sure I follow. Whats the point if you have to lose money by giving it the the merchant in the first place?

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm not sure I follow. Whats the point if you have to lose money by giving it the the merchant in the first place?
I guess eventually you will make the money back with multiple costly items you sell to that merchant.

Sysgen

Dr_Cogent said:

You are bankrolling him initially so that he can buy more expensive stuff later. Sucks if you don't have merchantile or speechcraft though. At least in the last game there was a crab.

Geoff9920

Dr_Cogent said:
Lets say you have a piece of armor that's worth roughly 5,000 gold, but the merchant only has a thousand gold on him/her. This means you'll only be able to get a max of 1,000 gold for that piece of armor. So if you can invest in a shop so his gold is now up to 15k, you can now get up to 15k for that 5k armor.

At least that's what I think he's implying.

Sysgen

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy shit. Never realized I can do that. "Here's a spoon, Gobby. Good luck with all that."

I haven't tried this but I understand you can pickpocket. If you pickpocket does this then mean you can replace an npc's dwarven axe with a rusty axe. Heh, that would rule.

Vieo

The Imperial City reminds me of Diagon Alley, but not as crowded and no store windows. Speaking of which, that's something I hope gets added to games like this in the future. Shop windows where you can look and see wares in the window and people inside. No loading screen when entering a shop. It's all one seamless object. Maybe something that is too with the same city size is too intensive for next-gen hardware. :lol

Hit level 7 as an Agent and I'm stunned at how good this is. I actually look around to see other online folks as if this is WOW still though. =) The only thing I miss is mouse over tooltips for store signs, etc so you can read things from afar.

On that note...suspended my WOW account this month as I see that I will get no playtime outside of Oblivion.

snatches

Thanks for the responses to the selling question. Just to clarify, on the 360 controller, I use the triggers, and it scrolls through, buy, barter, and other options but no sell option. Instead of "clicking" on something, is there another button I hit to switch to sell mode?

Sysgen

Geoff9920 said:
Lets say you have a piece of armor that's worth roughly 5,000 gold, but the merchant only has a thousand gold on him/her. This means you'll only be able to get a max of 1,000 gold for that piece of armor. So if you can invest in a shop so his gold is now up to 15k, you can now get up to 15k for that 5k armor.

At least that's what I think he's implying.

Since you need to be an expert in merchantile, maybe speechcraft? you can barter I guess for more than 100% of th eitems worth making your investment back.

Geoff9920

snatches said:
Thanks for the responses to the selling question. Just to clarify, on the 360 controller, I use the triggers, and it scrolls through, buy, barter, and other options but no sell option. Instead of "clicking" on something, is there another button I hit to switch to sell mode?
Buying and selling are both under barter. After you enter the barter screen you can switch between the 2 using the triggers.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Benadryl Hitman said:
I guess eventually you will make the money back with multiple costly items you sell to that merchant.

But what's the point? You output 5,000 gold only to get it back later?

Does your money somehow make interest? I just don't get it. Now, I could understand buying from the merchant and eventually they will have more money so you can sell them your stuff, but outright giving them money doesn't seem to make sense.

snatches

Geoff9920 said:
Buying and selling are both under barter. After you enter the barter screen you can switch between the 2 using the triggers.

THANKS!

This was the only thing getting on my nerves.....

Sysgen said:
Sucks if you don't have merchantile or speechcraft though.

Can someone confirm that everyone has the potential to level up in these skills even though they're not your Class' Major Skills?

I know I've already gone up in those two skills and they're not my majors. The little message came up on the screen after I sold a bunch of loot that my Mercantile Skill rose. Didn't even know there was one until then.

Geoff9920

BenjaminBirdie said:
Can someone confirm that everyone has the potential to level up in these skills even though they're not your Class' Major Skills?

I know I've already gone up in those two skills and they're not my majors. The little message came up on the screen after I sold a bunch of loot that my Mercantile Skill rose. Didn't even know there was one until then.
Sure, you can max out everything if you've got the time. It's just that your majors increase faster than your minor skills.

Ben Sones

Dr_Cogent said:

I think it increases his cash reserves permanently, so you make it back once you have sold him items equalling more than the original investment.

jet1911

Dr_Cogent said:

Does your money somehow make interest? I just don't get it. Now, I could understand buying from the merchant and eventually they will have more money so you can sell them your stuff, but outright giving them money doesn't seem to make sense.

Lets say that a merchant have 5000$ and you have 3 sets of armor(8000$ each) you want to sell. You give the merchant 3000$ and you sell your three set of armor for 8000$ each instead of 5000$.

It's just a gues 'cause I don't have the game but that's how I understand it. ;)

Geoff9920

Sysgen said:
Since you need to be an expert in merchantile, maybe speechcraft? you can barter I guess for more than 100% of th eitems worth making your investment back.
Yeah, I think the investment is a permenant increase which would allow you to make your money back many times over.

Dr_Cogent said:

Here is an example:

- Merchant can initially pay you 2,000 gold for an item.
- You invest in him 8,000 gold.
- Merchant can now pay 10,000 gold for an item.
- You will find many items throughout your journey. Say later on you find 3 gold armors that are worth 9,000 in value each.
- If you had not invested in the merchant you would have received (3 x 2000) = 6,000 gold for those armors.
- Since you invested in the merchant you receive (3x9,000) = 27,000 gold.
- So your profit from investing in him (27,000 - 8000) = 22,000 gold.
- So in the end, you have 22,000 gold instead of 6,000 gold.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Benadryl Hitman said:
Here is an example:

- Merchant can initially pay you 2,000 gold for an item.
- You invest in him 8,000 gold.
- Merchant can now pay 10,000 gold for an item.
- You will find many items throughout your journey. Say later on you find 3 gold armors that are worth 9,000 in value each.
- If you had not invested in the merchant you would have received (3 x 2000) = 6,000 gold for those armors.
- Since you invested in the merchant you receive (3x9,000) = 27,000 gold.
- So your profit from investing in him (27,000 - 8000) = 22,000 gold.
- So in the end, you have 22,000 gold instead of 6,000 gold.

I got it now :) Thanks. It just wasn't clicking. Probably doesn't help that I got shit for sleep.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
When you're in the Barter screen, the merchant's "Barter Gold" is displayed. This is the maximum amount the merchant is willing to spend in a single transaction (be it a single item or a stack of items). Even if the item you're selling is worth more, the most the merchant will pay for it is the merchant's barter gold. The amount of barter gold a merchant has depends on the merchant, but it's always the same for each merchant.

Barter gold never "runs out". If a merchant has 1000 barter gold, you could sell 50 items for 1000 each and the merchant would still be able to buy stuff from you. If you sell something for 50, the barter gold will still display 1000. Again, it's the most the merchant will pay for a single item or a stack of items.

When you "invest" in a store, the amount you invest is simply added to the merchant's barter gold. So if you invested 500 gold in a shop where the merchant normally had 1000 barter gold, the merchant's barter gold would now be 1500. Basically it's a way to be able to get more money for expensive items.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SteveMeister said:
When you're in the Barter screen, the merchant's "Barter Gold" is displayed. This is the maximum amount the merchant is willing to spend in a single transaction (be it a single item or a stack of items). Even if the item you're selling is worth more, the most the merchant will pay for it is the merchant's barter gold. The amount of barter gold a merchant has depends on the merchant, but it's always the same for each merchant.

Barter gold never "runs out". If a merchant has 1000 barter gold, you could sell 50 items for 1000 each and the merchant would still be able to buy stuff from you. If you sell something for 50, the barter gold will still display 1000. Again, it's the most the merchant will pay for a single item or a stack of items.

When you "invest" in a store, the amount you invest is simply added to the merchant's barter gold. So if you invested 500 gold in a shop where the merchant normally had 1000 barter gold, the merchant's barter gold would now be 1500. Basically it's a way to be able to get more money for expensive items.

But can buying items from them increase the barter gold or do you always have to invest in them?

Geoff9920

SteveMeister said:

If you invest in a shop, is that a permenant increase to the merchants barter gold?

Sysgen

Geoff9920 said:
If you invest in a shop, is that a permenant increase to the merchants barter gold?

Yes.

Dr_Cogent said:
But can buying items from them increase the barter gold or do you always have to invest in them?

You have to invest to increase.

Steve, can speechcraft permit you to invest?

Aponi

For PC players... Am I missing something about dropping items? Only way I've found to drop something is to click and drag it off the inventory screen and then hit Z to actually drop it on the ground. With the "There's not space to drop that here" setup, I'm worried I'm going to get myself permanetly encumbered because I'm somewhere there's no space to drop something. So far dropping items is my only complaint though :)

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Dr_Cogent said:
I got it now :) Thanks. It just wasn't clicking. Probably doesn't help that I got shit for sleep.

it really only makes sense if you remove the concept of a creeper / mudcrab merchant from morrowind completely. Now, every merchant has a finite amount of gold, and you can't pull the sell 1 thing and buy back 2 cheap things to max out your profit anymore. The only way to get full value for something is to find a merchant with a max amount of gold greater than or equal to the item you want to sell. By investing in a shop, you're guaranteeing this will happen, which will in turn guarantee you always get maximum gold for your items. Not as exploitable as the old system, but then again, isn't that the way it should be?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Nerevar said:
it really only makes sense if you remove the concept of a creeper / mudcrab merchant from morrowind completely. Now, every merchant has a finite amount of gold, and you can't pull the sell 1 thing and buy back 2 cheap things to max out your profit anymore. The only way to get full value for something is to find a merchant with a max amount of gold greater than or equal to the item you want to sell. By investing in a shop, you're guaranteeing this will happen, which will in turn guarantee you always get maximum gold for your items. Not as exploitable as the old system, but then again, isn't that the way it should be?

I think I would rather just bide my time and find a merchant that has a shitload of bartering gold so I don't have to lose out on gold in the beginning.

Dr_Cogent said:
I think I would rather just bide my time and find a merchant that has a shitload of bartering gold so I don't have to lose out on gold in the beginning.
Kill all the merchants, but your favorite. Then invest in him with all the other merchants' gold you looted from them. It's called cornering the market.

whiteACID

Closet Masochist
This game is so fucking bad-ass. we just stormed the castle of Kvatch and now Henry (my hero) must find the Count.

A must have game. Honestly. Kudos

Eiji

s1kakl.gif

Tommorow can't come soon enough!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Aponi said:
For PC players... Am I missing something about dropping items? Only way I've found to drop something is to click and drag it off the inventory screen and then hit Z to actually drop it on the ground. With the "There's not space to drop that here" setup, I'm worried I'm going to get myself permanetly encumbered because I'm somewhere there's no space to drop something. So far dropping items is my only complaint though :)

shift+click

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sysgen said:
Steve, can speechcraft permit you to invest?

No, investing is a Mercantile skill perk. Speechcraft comes into the persuasion game -- you can try to increase the merchant's disposition towards you so you can haggle to sell stuff at higher prices and buy at lower prices. My character relies on magic instead -- I have several Charm spells that I cast on merchants before I barter with them (they increase the target's disposition towards the caster), and then adjust the Haggle slider to the highest I can get away with.

Steve, I haven't gotten far enough to be able to make my own spells. Is there still a Jump spell effect, and how far does it go? I had a Jump at level 15 or so (it was set to a ring with level 10-15 so I kept re-equipping it until it had the desired effect) and I could jump across the canal in Balmora and straight up onto a house. Is that still possible or was it taken out?

Top Bottom