• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Justin

Check you Hard Drive, mine did the same thing but I noticed my HD was loose. I pushed it back in and havent had a single problem.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm actually pretty surprised this game got a T rating.

It has drug/alchohol use, sexual themes (and books apparently), blood splatters on the ground, models get bloody when you hit them.

And, one of the funniest no-no's I've run into from the ESRB. If your game has ragdoll deaths, that's fine, you can keep a T rating. But, if you can manipulate the ragdoll body after it's dead, that's an immediate M rating.

I don't know why Oblivion got away with that one.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
On the 360, put your crosshair over a body part (leg, arm, head, etc) then hold the left shoulder button. You can drag the ragdoll around. You can also throw anything loose in the world around doing this (vases, skulls, etc).

I think it defaults to 'Z' on the PC SKU.

raYne

The L bumper manipulation is kinda iffy though. Objects seem to slip out of your "hands" a bit tooo often, especially when dragging characters around.

However, it's my character's (thief) calling card to break into your home in the middle of the night, take all your valuables and rearrange your items. :lol

krypt0nian said:
I sometimes enjoy filling them with arrows post-mortem. They jerk like dying fish.
It also gives you a nice little marksmanship bonus. :D

newsguy

The only thing about the manipulation I'm bummed about is that anything heavier than a wolf is hard to move around. I wonder if getting stronger allows you to pick up humans with ease.

raYne said:
The L bumper manipulation is kinda iffy though. Objects seem to slip out of your "hands" a bit tooo often, especially when dragging characters around.

However, it's my character's (thief) calling card to break into your home in the middle of the night, take all your valuables and rearrange your items. :lol

It also gives you a nice little marksmanship bonus. :D

raYne, you rock on both accounts. Nice!

TheDuce22

Banned
I was playing earlier, looked at my time. How the hell have I played 9 hours already. I still havent even reached the
other son
This game is awesome but insanely addicting.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
FlyinJ said:
On the 360, put your crosshair over a body part (leg, arm, head, etc) then hold the left shoulder button. You can drag the ragdoll around. You can also throw anything loose in the world around doing this (vases, skulls, etc).

I think it defaults to 'Z' on the PC SKU.

Funnily enough, I just came across a video showing this exact thing. Probably NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkU1PyqO3dw&search=oblivion

Nutter said:
Guys, Where can i buy more lockpicks? HELP!! :lol

The first the fence you have access to has 100 lockpicks you can buy from him...and they replenish every day. He is in Burma or some such.

Also any Bandit cave is loaded with them. Supposedly there is a guy near the Imp. City stables that has some every day as well.

Nutter

krypt0nian said:
The first the fence you have access to has 100 lockpicks you can buy from him...and they replenish every day. He is in Burma or some such.

Also any Bandit cave is loaded with them. Supposedly there is a guy near the Imp. City stables that has some every day as well.

Mind telling me where that first
Fence
is? :p

SteveMeister said:
Search through this thread for "vamp." There has been some discussion on this.

Gotcha covered a bit above. I linked to your post, Steve. =)

Any way to un-nock an arrow once you've drawn it in the 360 version?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SteveMeister said:
Search through this thread for "vamp." There has been some discussion on this.

The first choice you suggest in that post (
go to any chapel and find a healer. They'll have a Cure for Vampirism topic, talk to them about it. That'll get you started
) doesnt seem to work.
The healer sends me to a specific guy at the University but this guy is just scared of me and doesn't want to talk at all
. Is the second choice the only one that will work with me then or am I missing something?

belgurdo

Banned
Argh, this shit sucks. And I half-assed some school assignments so I'd have plenty of time to play tonight too. :lol

Odd thing about the freezing is that I tried GRAW in the machine after Obliv failed to load six or seven times, then intentionally killed myself a few times. Game worked perfectly.

I have read on the official Xbox site that that anti-piracy update from earlier in the month may have something to do with it, can anyone confirm that?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Cymbal Head said:
So I have to seek him out? I remember hearing that he contacted you.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I was actually contacted by one of his men during normal in-town exploration. I went to jail a couple of times before that happened.

newsguy

Hey all, when it says I have diseases under the "active" menu, wtf do I do? I've been playing with these things for a full day and I don't even notice the effects.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
TTP said:
The first choice you suggest in that post (
go to any chapel and find a healer. They'll have a Cure for Vampirism topic, talk to them about it. That'll get you started
) doesnt seem to work.
The healer sends me to a specific guy at the University but this guy is just scared of me and doesn't want to talk at all
. Is the second choice the only one that will work with me then or am I missing something?

you must
feeeeeeed
then go talk to him

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The game is fucking gorgeous.

Everything runs smoothly on max settings for me.

P4 3.0 C
6800 Ultra OC
2 GB RAM
Audigy 2 ZS
Newest Nvidia drivers

...Until my system overheats, lol. After a while, the entire screen goes black, except for things like menus. I've been screwing around with it for a while, and I've found that my GPU core is about 90 degrees Celcius by the time I get to the Nvidia temperature display, so it'll likely capping out higher.

I know it's the heat because if I restart the game immediately, the problem comes back very quickly, but if I wait 10 minutes and my PC's exhaust is cool, it takes about 3-5 minutes for it to happen.

My apartment is also a bitch. I'm in a 90 year old building with steam heating, which I can't stop. My room is like 80 degrees now even with my AC on max, which I can control...

My system is dusty, and I'm running on 2 weak 80 mm fans in a large case. I originally had 6, but reduced it for noise reduction. It's getting late, so I'm going to clean it out tomorrow.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Hey SteveMeister-

Can I leave stuff in the trunks at my room in the mage guild without it disappearing? Or is it only in houses I own? And can you kill people and take their houses, with the same non-disappearing items left in it thing going on?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
alright, best game ever. i just made the walk from the imperial city to bruma -- i don't want to spoil it, but this is a very nice walk -- clearing out ruins and completing random quests along the way. when i stopped at an inn to rest and level up, it felt weirdly as if i was actually taking a room after a long journey. this appropriately mellow song happened to be playing too. this game is replacing my life, but it's kind of worth it.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I have put over 20 hours in two days on the game already and I haven't even completed the first task they gave me out of the training dungeon.

God this game is amazing.

Also to people that have done a bunch of the Arena sidequests,
What is that kids purpose that follows me around after I reached grand master rank?

PS:
Skingrad (to the west of Imperial City)
is an absolutly amazing looking town. I want a house in that town so bad.

Seth C

I've only been able to play the game for about 2 hours so far. I'm not even outside. Being at work and having 3 hours of classes after work really blows. Then I'll need sleep before my night class. Argh...

Ugh...I tried all the fixes they suggested in that hardware and software subforum. I just tried to play and I got a strange crash. After about 10 minutes of starting the game, it crashed to desktop with an error but after I clicked "OK" in the error box, Oblivion remaximized and continued to run. It locked up solid when I hit a new section where you get the "Loading" sign. :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Darias said:
Help a nooblet... where do I get more lockpicks? I've broken all the ones I carried.

there's a guy just outside the walls of the imperial city, i believe near the market district, called shady something who sells lockpicks and poisons and stuff.

Just got it, and damn it's awesome. I'm disappointed though, they seem to have nerfed the utter shit out of thievery/speech/merch compared to Morrowind. Not being able to immediately unload stolen goods is rough, and persuasion seems to have little effect on anything.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Okay, I'm stuck on Garridan's Tears (Tears of the Savior):

I went to the frost glade and looked all around the icy area for the tears. I found four, but the game's still telling to me to keep searching and I've been looking for an hour now with no luck. I went back to the mage guild and the guy is just telling me "good luck" so there must be a fifth one somewhere, but I have NO idea. I've circled the damn thing 100 times.

Top Bottom