• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Sysgen

Did anyone turn off the cursor? Makes targeting harder of course but doing this adds tenfold to the immersiveness.

If you need to target an onion or something just go into sneak mode and use the eye as the cursor.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Unison said:
I have a quest about getting into the Thieves' Guild. Is there a way to murder someone without it getting a bounty placed on your head? I know that if you kill someone and text appears saying that unseen forces saw it, that means the guards saw it, but I've tried killing innocent people in the wilderness, and as soon as I returned to town, I've been arrested. :-|

I even killed the innkeeper in Hackdirt, which doesn't have conventional guards, only to be attacked by residents of the town. I didn't get the text message and I escaped /killed them, but still got arrested when I set foot in a proper town again.

First of all, you don't need to kill someone to get into the Thieves Guild. You need to kill someone to get in to the Dark Brotherhood. And the "unseen forces" thing is ONLY related to the Dark Brotherhood, it's not related to crime detection.

Anyway, as far as getting caught. If you attack someone, or if someone detects you stealing something, they will send out an alarm. If anyone nearby -- even outside -- hears it who has high enough Responsibility (an AI setting), they may come running to the victim's defense. It also depends on the other NPCs dispositions towards the victim NPC. If they don't like the guy, they may not care.

So if you attack someone in their house in a village, if you don't kill them with one blow there's a good chance they'll get an alarm out and others might come in, guards or no.

You will only get a bounty if you're detected. So SNEAK when stealing, make sure nobody's around, try to be in the shadows, if you have chameleon or invisibility, use them, and do NOT hold a torch or have a self-targeted light spell while doing it. And if you want to kill someone and get away with it, try to make sure they're isolated, especially if you can't kill them in one hit.

Oh man, I love this game. I want to be home right now playing it. Sneak kills FTW! I've managed to clear out entire dungeons without a single enemy spotting me. :D

Sysgen

SteveMeister said:
So SNEAK when stealing, make sure nobody's around, try to be in the shadows, if you have chameleon or invisibility, use them, and do NOT hold a torch or have a self-targeted light spell while doing it. And if you want to kill someone and get away with it, try to make sure they're isolated, especially if you can't kill them in one hit.

That seems something like everyone should know but when your in a room by yourself you don't think about it and get careless. Since your not sneaking you would be making more noise.

SteveMeister said:
First of all, you don't need to kill someone to get into the Thieves Guild. You need to kill someone to get in to the Dark Brotherhood. And the "unseen forces" thing is ONLY related to the Dark Brotherhood, it's not related to crime detection.

Does it matter where you kill your victim for the brotherhood to approach you? I killed someone in their sleep at a farmhouse, but noone from the brotherhood ever came to me.

Oh, and why is it sometimes the damage modifier for sneak attacks doesn't work, and in fact no damage registers at all, even though the message comes up at the top of the screen?

Unison

SteveMeister said:

Anyway, as far as getting caught. If you attack someone, or if someone detects you stealing something, they will send out an alarm. If anyone nearby -- even outside -- hears it who has high enough Responsibility (an AI setting), they may come running to the victim's defense. It also depends on the other NPCs dispositions towards the victim NPC. If they don't like the guy, they may not care.

So if you attack someone in their house in a village, if you don't kill them with one blow there's a good chance they'll get an alarm out and others might come in, guards or no.

You will only get a bounty if you're detected. So SNEAK when stealing, make sure nobody's around, try to be in the shadows, if you have chameleon or invisibility, use them, and do NOT hold a torch or have a self-targeted light spell while doing it. And if you want to kill someone and get away with it, try to make sure they're isolated, especially if you can't kill them in one hit.

Ahhh... I didn't even realize there was a difference between the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves' Guild. I found the entrance to a Dark Brotherhood hideout, and just started working on the assumption that that was just another name for the Thief Guild. :D

It's really cool to hear how fleshed out the AI regarding crime detection is. I haven't had any problems with stealing... it's only Murder that seems to get me caught every time.

I am thinking about turning the difficulty slider down to Easy so I can achieve one hit kills once in a while. Right now, I can only really pull them off on Rats and weak Goblins. :-(

Dr_Cogent said:
Hmmm, well - you can try.

i mena if they notice, play dumb...."oh i didnt notice that", its not a big deal. Oh and its Best Buy, the absolute worst retail electronics store on the planet. i always get them to pricematch use coupon etc. just to piss them off for all the stuff about them wanting to cater to clientel that are stupid and only like buying things at full price

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Confidence Man said:
Does it matter where you kill your victim for the brotherhood to approach you? I killed someone in their sleep at a farmhouse, but noone from the brotherhood ever came to me.

I don't think it matters who you kill, as long as it's not a bandit or other evil NPC, but you do have to sleep before you'll be visited.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's pretty easy at lower levels of power to ramp up your spellcasting abilities if you're a mage class.
You can pretty much hit conjuration, restoration, alteration and mysticism all the time without disturbing anyone else. Also, you can attack your own summoned monsters and they will eventually attack you. But either way, you get the skill bonus (marksman/destruction spells) for attacking them. Spellcasting is so satsifying in this game! Combat is better in general.

Probably noobish advice, but if you want to level up a couple notches kind of fast...

_Angelus_

Banned
I'm finally going to start playing this game.

I noticed that the games difficulty slider is set to a default medium setting,hmmm. Has anyone played with the slider on a more higher setting? Whats the difference? Extremely harder battles? Does it take more time to level up? I'm thinking of playing a tad above medium for now. Good thing to go for or would you advise differently?

I'm sort of regretting not playing a Khajiit at the moment. I would love to have their ability to see in the dark, as it would make some of the stealth tactics that much better as I wouldn't have to carry around a torch in dungeons. I'm playing as a wood elf, which has some nice abilities as well. Anyone know if there is a magic item that would allow me to see in the dark? :)

Sp3eD said:
It has complete control over bartering. Getting their disposition in the 70's and 80's can often lead to 15%-20% more/less on resale/buying. Doesn't mean much at the begining when you are dealing with 20 or 30 gold items, however once you start getting into the hundreds that ability to gain extra % is awesome.

Yea I guess, I just remember being able to go up to the first shopkeeper and sell him his own stolen wares for 120% markup the second you got off the ship. And the minigame is alot better I guess, though if there was a way to auto it like lockpicking I'd prolly do that.

I've got a question. If you try to kill someone do you automatically get a fine? I know if you pickpocket someone and it fails they will tell the gaurds about it, just not sure if it's immediately or if the game has the npc go and tell gaurds later, which they can't do if dead.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
i mena if they notice, play dumb...."oh i didnt notice that", its not a big deal. Oh and its Best Buy, the absolute worst retail electronics store on the planet. i always get them to pricematch use coupon etc. just to piss them off for all the stuff about them wanting to cater to clientel that are stupid and only like buying things at full price

I just can't see myself doing it. I don't think I would feel right about it. That's all.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm sort of regretting not playing a Khajiit at the moment. I would love to have their ability to see in the dark, as it would make some of the stealth tactics that much better as I wouldn't have to carry around a torch in dungeons. I'm playing as a wood elf, which has some nice abilities as well. Anyone know if there is a magic item that would allow me to see in the dark? :)

I don't know about magic items, but maybe you could learn the night eyes spell or make some potions?

HOLY CHRIST I'M UNBANNED!

1st rule of GAF club is never talk about GAF club....or even make some lame ass joke about it evidently.

Anyway, back to Oblivion. I've basically taken the next few days off from work because of this game. Of course I'm not going to tell my co-workers that. I made up some shit ball story how I needed to go to Montana and visit some relatives. Cheesy? Yes. Pathetic? Probably, but I don't care. I LOVE ME SOME OBLIVION!

RE: AI
Last night I stole a bust from a grave and was caught doing it. I hadn't resisted arrest up to that point but I needed that thing for a quest I was in the middle of so I had to make a break for it. Basically I had all the guards from the town on my butt but I didn't want to kill anyone 'cause I wasn't interested in paying the heavy fine the Thieves Guild imposes on you if you do. When I finally exited through city gates I thought things would cool down a little but four guards kept persuing me through the forest. Talk about tenacious. I couldn't fight them so I just kept on running but after I climbed a small hill I looked down into the valley and I realized that I was heading in the direction of the Imperial City. No good. Even though that was my final destination I couldn't go back there because that place is crawling with guards and with the bounty on my head I wouldn't last very long. In that moment I ran across some sort of ruin or fort where about 3 necromancers were hanging out just shootin' the shit. When they saw me flying by they immediately summoned a small band of imps to take me out but at that very moment the guards entered the ruins as well and they started to fight the imps for me. The necromancers then turned their attention on the more immediate threat of the guards so I just contiuned to run away while everyone else was preoccupied with each other. I scaled a small bluff and looked down on the battle and watched them destroy themselves. After it was all said and done the only thing left was one badly injured necromancer and I don't have to pay a fine if I kill one of them so I went down the hill and took him out and then robbed everyone's dead bodies. No more problems! I love stuff like this.

P3210252.JPG

Here's my character. His name is Emo Steve.

I was shooting for a "what if Reggie was a Dark Elf" look. His mother doesn't love him.

SonnyBoy

Ok, so Im a woodelf and I have theif attributes. I joined the dark brother hood and just received and invitation to the theifs guild. Can I successfully be a member of these two factions? I saw someone say that a rule of the theives is that you cannot kill....

Vark

SonnyBoy said:
Ok, so Im a woodelf and I have theif attributes. I joined the dark brother hood and just received and invitation to the theifs guild. Can I successfully be a member of these two factions? I saw someone say that a rule of the theives is that you cannot kill....

Shouldn't be a problem.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
P3210252.JPG

I was shooting for a "what if Reggie was a Dark Elf" look. His mother doesn't love him.

wow, it kinda reminds me of reggie too :lol

oh how those nintendo guys must laugh when they see these photoshops

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
SonnyBoy said:

I was wondering this as well.

I want to join the Dark Brotherhood but I keep obsessing over who to kill to get it all started. I'm afraid of just whacking any random person in the street for fear of screwing some future quest up....

Anyone seen this over at CTRL+ALT+DEL? You can put yourself in Oblivion.

So there's a demo out there for Singular Inversions' FaceGen software that you can grab. It's a really nifty demo. You can manipulate different faces to all sorts of degrees, and it's a lot of fun to play with. You can also upload photos and have it create a 3D model from the photographs. It's pretty crazy.

I uploaded a front picture and a profile picture, and fifteen minutes later it had produced a copy of my head. From a couple of 2D photos, I think the resemblance is astounding.

oblivion_tim.jpg

Obviously it doesn't do hair, and it stamps a big SI on your forehead (it's a demo). So if I shaved my head and got drunk enough to get tattooed on my noggin, that's what I might look like. You can't save or export the model you create (again, demo).

However, FaceGen is what Oblivion uses in its character creation engine. So once you've used the demo to model a likeness from your pictures, you can observe where it has set the various shape sliders, and then go into your game and set the sliders the exact same way. And voila! Your character looks like you.

I thought some of you might find that interesting, and fun to play with.

Sysgen

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
P3210252.JPG

Looks like you nailed it.

To Kung Fu Jedi, do not feel funny about starting over with the Khajit or just starting another character. This isn't your typical RPG. I've already restarted 5 times. The latest is with my imperial Aragon look alike.

eso76

Zabojnik said:
Eso76, what about text? Is it italian ONLY, or does it switch to english if you change the language in the console settings? I really need to know ASAP, as my copy is waiting for me in Italy. :)

apparently it's italian only, but i'll make sure once i get home.

Sysgen said:
To Kung Fu Jedi, do not feel funny about starting over with the Khajit or just starting another character. This isn't your typical RPG. I've already restarted 5 times. The latest is with my imperial Aragon look alike.

Oh, I know. I'm a veteran to the Elder Scrolls games, and have had nice success in restarting the games in the past and playing as a different class. It really changes the way the game is played out imho. Sure the main quest is the same, as are many of the side quests, but the guild options can change up, and just your general approach to the free from style is very different.

I'll probably stick with my thief, but I am tempted to go after a Battle Mage. :)

Waku

I've been looking for ages for a place to buy Lockpicks, i'm beginning to think there are no ones? Anybody find a Place you could guide me to?

Chony

Does anyone else with the x360 version crash at random time. I get a dirty disc read error in the middle of the game, but it has only happened twice. This has never occured with any other game. There is not a single scratch on the disc.

Awesome game otherwise.

Grath

Waku said:
If been looking for ages for a place to buy Lockpicks, i'm beginning to think there are no ones? Anybody find a Place you could guide me to?

SteveMeister already answered this question, search for it. He also said there is a lockpick in the game you cant break.

SteveMeister said:
I don't think it matters who you kill, as long as it's not a bandit or other evil NPC, but you do have to sleep before you'll be visited.

Alright, I've just killed someone else without being caught, immediately went to an inn to sleep, and still nothing. My stats say I have zero murders, so apparently that didn't count? Who the hell do I have to kill to get in?

SonnyBoy

Grath said:
SteveMeister already answered this question, search for it. He also said there is a lockpick in the game you cant break.

I must have missed this, how far back was it. Im definately interested in finding this pick.

SonnyBoy said:
I must have missed this, how far back was it. Im definately interested in finding this pick.

Get in line! :D I think all of us would like to know where we can find this one! I'm not sure why, but I seem to have plenty of lockpicks. I keep taking them off bandits, and when working on average or lower locks, I never really break them. Only run into problems when I get to harder locks, which I suspect will change when my Security skill increases.

Can you get through doors without picking them? For instance, can I hit them with a heavy weapon and break them down? Just curious, haven't tried this, but I think you could do that in Daggerfall if I recall correctly.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Oh, I know. I'm a veteran to the Elder Scrolls games, and have had nice success in restarting the games in the past and playing as a different class. It really changes the way the game is played out imho. Sure the main quest is the same, as are many of the side quests, but the guild options can change up, and just your general approach to the free from style is very different.

I'll probably stick with my thief, but I am tempted to go after a Battle Mage. :)

agreed - I never used to wear heavy armor, but since I read the manual last night I realized that as a "master" of heavy armor, the stuff you're wearing no longer enumbers you! That totally changes the approach to what kind of armor you might wear, and makes heavy armor a viable option. Makes me want to create a battlemage character just for shits and giggles.

Kung Fu Jedi said:

I chose to be a Khajiit for that very reason. Night eye is very convenient, but there are a few thigns I dislike about it:

1) You lose the ambiance of the torch light glinting off the walls and such.

2) I find myself using night eye the majority of the time I'm in dungeons; therefore all of my beloved memories of epic dungeon battles or exotic loot discoveries are all in shades of blue/aqua.

3) Night eye (like any other spell-based power?) has an impermanent effect. Currently it gives my character only 30 seconds of low/no-light vision, so I am re-casting it constantly.

4) Sometimes I'll cast it, see an enemy, and then have to wait for night eye to dissipate and my vision to return to normal in order to see how well I'm concealed and what the best route is up to the eneny for a sneak melee/pick-pocket. And this will only get more annoying as I better my skills and night eye lasts longer. I'd much prefer if night eye were a toggle, not unlike equipping and unequipping a hot-keyed weapon (especially considering it's the race's power).

Justin

I forgot exactly where i found it but in a dungeon around the imperial city I found a ring that gives you night vision.

It took BFG exactly one week from when I shipped out my busted video card to take a look at it, give me a brand new one, and ship it back to me. I'm shaking with anticipation right now, just cause the damn thing works. I'm replacing old drivers with the new oblivion optimized drivers and then I'm off to the races.

that's some damn service.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Someone released a Khajiit Night Eye toggle mod already. Check out the Oblivion Mods forum at elderscrolls.com. Basically you cast the lesser power once to start it, and once to stop it. Night Eye stays active until you stop it with the lesser power.

Here's the link to the thread.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Justin said:
I forgot exactly where i found it but in a dungeon around the imperial city I found a ring that gives you night vision.

What is the ring called? I want to look it up in the guide and see which dungeon it is in :)

GreekWolf

Tortfeasor said:
I did the same and never found anything to do with the letter. The only quest I got out of the dungeon was after selling the statue that is found there (sells for 1000) I was approached by someone to find 10 more of them.
Thanks, bud. I'll try to sell that item at the 'Slash and Smash' weapon shop and see if that might jumpstart the quest.

That orc pisses me off. He stands there with a huge, goofy-ass grin while gouging me for 170% markup on everything in his inventory. And I fall for it every time.

When someone creates the desert eagle mod, he will cry big green tears.

KarishBHR

ok... I need some serious GAF opinons.

I have a 360 and a PC. I can run the PC version fine on medium settings (got it from a friend) at like 25 fps.

Should I get the 360 version or the PC version for myself?

I dont have an HDTV if that makes a diff... but I do have surround sound for the 360.

A few more semi-random thoughts on the game that I haven't touched on yet.

Music: Damn, it's good. Usually music in a game only gets my attention if it's either really good, or really bad, and this is some great stuff. Really sets the mood. I may evetnaully use a custom soundtrack from Lord of the Rings, but I don't see the need anytime soon.

Audio: Seperate from the music, but still great is the other audio elements. The voice acting is some of the best I've heard in any game, and the ambient noise is great too. I've been doing a dungeon crawl and hearing things in the background, which has made me jump and look around more than a few times. Muffled voices and distant sounds make for great atmosphere as well.

Animation: The animation on the creatures/monsters is excellent from what I've seen. Watching a zombie shambling around in a dungeon below me is actually kinda creepy. Other creatures move in a way that you would expect, including deer. It was fun to come across my first deer in the woods and watch it bound away from me.

The game cotinues to amaze me and I can't wait to get home and play it again. My workout schedule is suffering something fierce. :) Oh, and my character looks a bit like John Romero. God help me! :lol

Top Bottom