• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sysgen said:
Stuff you put in containers does not disappear. If it did it would defeat a major attraction of the game which is exlporing / collecting / storing / using.

I need some place to put my vegtables. :lol

Stuff that I leave on the floor of my house will disappear, though? Like, I can't leave swords on the table?

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
oh schnapps, i just caught Vigge the Cautious and Sulinus Vassinus sleeping in the same bed together in the mage guild building in Skingrad. how "gaymer"

I can't wait to get these mage quests behind me.

IJoel

What's the alchemy recipe for Magicka potions?

Also, how the hell do you kill "will o' the wisp" mobs? I had one ran me out of a dungeon (i was 3 levels into it already) and it kept following me for a loooong time. Damn thing was more frightening than the vamps.

Dr_Cogent said:
Why would you want to delete a spell?

It's annoying to have useless spells cluttering the already out of control interface.

Also you can put things in containers that you own (ie containers in your house) but leaving things in containers elsewhere will have them disappear eventually (according to the manual).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Anyone still want to bitch about Oblivion having the fast travel system? Any takers?

Not me. Man, this game would take about 400 hours to complete without it.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
FlyinJ said:
Stuff that I leave on the floor of my house will disappear, though? Like, I can't leave swords on the table?

I'm pretty sure stuff you leave laying around in a house that you own will not disappear.

It's only stuff you throw on the ground or put into containers that you don't own that does disappear, after 3 game days I believe was what Steve or someone said.

Anyone still want to bitch about Oblivion having the fast travel system? Any takers?

I'm 15 hours in and still haven't used fast travel, but I think I'm about to reach the point where I want to. I didn't like the idea at first, but now that I see how big the game world is... well, you really gotta use it.

However, my initial plan was to not use it until I had visited all the major cities on foot/horse, stopping to see the sights along the way. So far I've trek'd to Bruma, then back down the southwest path, hitting Chorral, Skingrad, and finally Kvatch last night. After Anvil I'll probably start fast travelling.

IJoel said:
What's the alchemy recipe for Magicka potions?

Also, how the hell do you kill "will o' the wisp" mobs? I had one ran me out of a dungeon (i was 3 levels into it already) and it kept following me for a loooong time. Damn thing was more frightening than the vamps.

Man the will-o-wisps are bloody freaky. I just killed it with a sword, but it was tough because the magic is unblockable.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i can't stash things in containers i don't own? that kinda sucks, though i'm glad i found out before i tried it. save files bloated by discarded items seemed to cause a lot of the xbox morrowind bugs, so maybe it's for the best.

Does fast travel result in time passing in game or does it just wisk you way to your new destination without any time passing? Not a big issue, but I was just curious. I've only used it once so far just to give it a try. :)

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Does fast travel result in time passing in game or does it just wisk you way to your new destination without any time passing? Not a big issue, but I was just curious. I've only used it once so far just to give it a try. :)

Time passes when you fast travel.

Unison

snatches said:
When was the last time Eurogamer gave a game a perfect 10/10????

I think it was Half-Life 2.

RE4 wuz robbed. :)

Still, a great score, and one that shows that games don't have to be "perfect" to deserve such a high rating.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just saw this while loading:

"The weight of your boots effects how well you can sneak"

Well, that explains why I can never sneak up on anyone.

FlyinJ said:

Yeah, the little "loading tips" are actually useful, and give a lot of insight into the depth of the game. It's amazing.

Sysgen

FlyinJ said:

Seriously. I'm having a sneak issue now and I guess it's due to my IRON BOOTS! :lol

Tonight, I'll just slip those off and finish the quest. Thank you for your post.

Unison

FlyinJ said:

I am pretty sure that once you reach a certain level of sneak, the boots become a non-issue.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Sysgen said:
Seriously. I'm having a sneak issue now and I guess it's due to my IRON BOOTS! :lol

Tonight, I'll just slip those off and finish the quest. Thank you for your post.

Funny shit. Go barefoot.

Big Nate said:
I'm 15 hours in and still haven't used fast travel, but I think I'm about to reach the point where I want to. I didn't like the idea at first, but now that I see how big the game world is... well, you really gotta use it.

However, my initial plan was to not use it until I had visited all the major cities on foot/horse, stopping to see the sights along the way. So far I've trek'd to Bruma, then back down the southwest path, hitting Chorral, Skingrad, and finally Kvatch last night. After Anvil I'll probably start fast travelling.

I wasn't going to use it initially either and I still go out and explore (I mean how cool is it to climb over a hill and find a small village that isn't on map? I love that) but this game is so freakin' huge that you just can't help but use it. Walking from Bruma to Leyawiin or from Anvil to Cheydinhal just takes a long ass time. Way too long for doing mundane tasks. Most of the time about the only thing you'll miss by using fast travel are some gorgeous views.

Sysgen

Just read that encumbrance and your armor (not just boots) have an impact on sneak. Looks like I gotta strip down to my boxers :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Damn, I just can't kill these ship ghosts:

In Anvil, on the ship ghost quest. They're ridiculously powerful. None of my weapons damage them, and the only spell that isn't resisted is fireball. I cast a "more susceptible to fire" spell on them, and my fireballs take one pixel of health from them while draining me of 1/4 mana. I ran outside, as suggested by someone else, to let the guards deal with them. Well, the two ghosts that come out kill both the guards as well as any villagers that try to attack them. They also kill the woman on the boat who gave me the quest. Maybe if I was level 3 the guards could kill these things, but at level 14 they rubberbanded them so high it's almost impossible to kill them. What can I do?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Need help.

Martin wants a Daedric artifact, so I'm at Hicine or whatever's shrine. I don't know how to offer it a wolf pelt. It says it wants a stronger warrior, but there must be a way to just get the artifact. I'm level 4. I have a wolf pelt. What do I DO?

Ho shit guide says I need to be level 17 by my player's guide says nothing about that.

paul777

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Damn, I just can't kill these ship ghosts:

In Anvil, on the ship ghost quest. They're ridiculously powerful. None of my weapons damage them, and the only spell that isn't resisted is fireball. I cast a "more susceptible to fire" spell on them, and my fireballs take one pixel of health from them while draining me of 1/4 mana. I ran outside, as suggested by someone else, to let the guards deal with them. Well, the two ghosts that come out kill both the guards as well as any villagers that try to attack them. They also kill the woman on the boat who gave me the quest. Maybe if I was level 3 the guards could kill these things, but at level 14 they rubberbanded them so high it's almost impossible to kill them. What can I do?

Get an enchanted weapon.

GhaleonEB

20060324.jpg

FlyinJ: No offense man, but you seem to be having more trouble with this game than anyone else. Are you sure you're approaching the game in the correct way? Maybe a different character type/class would better suit your style?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm not sure.

Some quests are medium difficulty, and then others are impossibly hard. There's no middle ground... it's either do-able or seemingly impossible. The painter is impossible for me, as well as the ship quest. Everything else seems to be ok. I'm a spellsword, and i've got rage spells, shield spells, fireball/ice spells, heal spells, shield spells, an enchanted weapon and bow, I've been upping my stats in accordance to my class. I also have a full suit of dwarven armor.

It seems to me there must be some sort of trick in defeating these impossible monsters.

Have you created spells that are more powerful/improved than the ones you start with? Are your skill ranks all about equal, or do you have some that are clearly better than others?

Steve suggested a few pages back that you continually improve your spells so they cause more damage/provide more protection. If you haven't done that in awhile, perhaps it's time to give it a shot. And as for skill ranks, use the ones that play to your strength. If your fireball spells deal out the most damage, then use them to that effect. If your shield spells are more powerful, use them and wade in with a weapon.

Maybe this all seems like common sense advice, but the approach to playing the game can make a big difference. Sometimes you just need to find a playstyle that suits you better.

Speevy

Banned
If you didn't know anything about the scaling, wouldn't you just presume that the game was getting harder as you progressed?

There's a point in Dragon Quest 8 at which
monsters from the dark world come into the light world, making even the first area's enemies somewhat challenging

The bottom line that you will never be able to turn the game into a graveyard by blindly running around and swinging your sword like Morrowind.

However, you will always be able to use the resources at your disposal to approach quests in an interesting way.

Power-leveling/level grinding is by no means the mark of intelligent game design.

A level-up should always be the consequence of a battle well fought, a reward well earned. Not the other way around.

Flynn: Have you tried putting this game on the lowest possible difficulty? Maybe that would give you the progressive God Mode experience you were hoping for.

And for reference, in Morrowind all upper level armor and weapons was completely ineffective as a lower level character. It was just stupid to have it because you couldn't connect with anything.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Fuck
Painted Trolls
. Ugh, that was a horribly irritating quest.

Can anyone tell me where to find the Dark Brotherhood?

After you kill somebody the Dark Brotherhood recognizes the deed and will have a representative come visit you
while you are sleeping at an inn.

I found this out last night while in Skingrad. I killed Glarthir, the sketchy guy who wants you to do a quest for him.
I made some gold off him by spying and then he asked me to do a particularly evil deed, so I killed him myself, thus triggering the Dark Brotherhood to recruit me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Speevy said:
Flynn: Have you tried putting this game on the lowest possible difficulty? Maybe that would give you the progressive God Mode experience you were hoping for.

You obviously have not understood the problem I was describing with the system of rubberbanding. I don't, at all, want a "progressive God Mode" experience.

Speevy

Banned
You think that theoretically, leveling doesn't matter. You think that no amount of hard work you put into power-leveling your character will ever pay off.

And I'm telling you that Bethesda put weapons, armor, spells, potions, scrolls, alchemy, conjuration, and other things in the game for this very reason.

Your stats and equipment/actions work hand-in-hand.

GhaleonEB

FlyinJ said:
You obviously have not understood the problem I was describing with the system of rubberbanding. I don't, at all, want a "progressive God Mode" experience.
I just ordered the game, so I'm interested in your issue. It sounds like you run into an area/quest/monster that is too much for your current character to overcome, so you head off on something else for a while with the intent to complete it when you are more powerful. Only, you return to said area/quest/monster to find that they have scaled up proportionate to you, and it's not any easier?

Is it the case that all quests you can access from the beginning are equally challenging, to some degree, and they all progress as you go, or can you ever hit a "hard patch" and overcome it with leveling/better stuff? The way you have to beat a retreat, regroup and try again when stronger is one of my favorite elements of an RPG. Is this absent from Oblivion?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm disappointed to hear about the level scaling. it's good that the game will stay involving throughout its length -- i really did become a man among fleas in morrowind -- but what's the point of building my stats if everyone else's stats grow proportionally? am i just supposed to enjoy looking at big numbers? people use the phrase "level treadmill," but this really is a level treadmill -- you put in the effort and feel like you're walking, but you never actually go anywhere. i understood when i chose a thief that combat wouldn't come easy, but i thought i'd be able to train my combat skills up with appreciable results. in fact if enemies level up with me, but put all their stat increases towards combat skills while i work on my stealth, won't i get relatively weaker as the game goes on? doesn't this also impinge on the sense of choice that was so liberating in morrowind? maybe the scaling levels make quests more satisfying, but there's no longer much point to wandering around and building your strength. and if you don't focus on combat skills, every little thing is going to be a chore.

i don't think games should be realistic, but i do think they should maintain an internal logic, and level scaling doesn't make any sense either. there's no way to explain it within the context of the game.

i don't think about any of this when i'm actually playing the game -- it's unbelievably big and detailed and clever, in a way that makes other games seem tawdry -- but it makes me less eager to go back to it this evening, and it makes me feel like i've wasted hours of game time.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GhaleonEB said:
I just ordered the game, so I'm interested in your issue. It sounds like you run into an area/quest/monster that is too much for your current character to overcome, so you head off on something else for a while with the intent to complete it when you are more powerful. Only, you return to said area/quest/monster to find that they have scaled up proportionate to you, and it's not any easier?

Is it the case that all quests you can access from the beginning are equally challenging, to some degree, and they all progress as you go, or can you ever hit a "hard patch" and overcome it with leveling/better stuff? The way you have to beat a retreat, regroup and try again when stronger is one of my favorite elements of an RPG. Is this absent from Oblivion?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Speevy said:
You think that theoretically, leveling doesn't matter. You think that no amount of hard work you put into power-leveling your character will ever pay off.

And I'm telling you that Bethesda put weapons, armor, spells, potions, scrolls, alchemy, conjuration, and other things in the game for this very reason.

Your stats and equipment/actions work hand-in-hand.

I realize this as well. The problem is, I think that some of the quests become extrordinarily hard at the higher levels. They start out hard, but beatable... but because of the dynamic scaling, every quest couldn't be tested at every player level. So, some of the quests become unbeatable if you wait too long and they rubberband up too high.

Has anyone beat the painter or the ghost quest at level 14?

You need to read earlier posts about the leveling of the creatures/enemies in the game before getting too excited. It's my opinion that some people are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. Your character makes much larger gains than the other creatures in the world. While they do level up to continue to offer you a challenge, they do not level to the extent that you do. You out pace them in your skill and level gains, so by all rights, you should be able to have an easier time with lower ranking creatures eventually, just not at the point that everyone is use to from Morrowind.

Sysgen

Some of you are missing the fundamental point.

That this is not a typical level grinding game. Levels are directly related to your *skills* not your experience points. There is more to do in Oblivion than just killing things. When you level you can use the benefits of leveling **your skills** for more open ended type gameplay. You approach the same situation as you did earlier in the game but with better *skills*.

The potion stuff is an excellent example. As you level your alchemy *skill* you make more powerful potions. Relatively you and the bandit may not have changed but now you can make better potions, so drink a few powerful enhance strength potions and kick his ass or cast a powerful drain fatigue spell and he's as good as a jelly fish.

Guards for example are always 10 levels above you (I read this somewhere) so to start they are 10X more powerful. When you are level 50 and the guard is level 60 they are not 10X more powerful.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You need to read earlier posts about the leveling of the creatures/enemies in the game before getting too excited. It's my opinion that some people are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. Your character makes much larger gains than the other creatures in the world. While they do level up to continue to offer you a challenge, they do not level to the extent that you do. You out pace them in your skill and level gains, so by all rights, you should be able to have an easier time with lower ranking creatures eventually, just not at the point that everyone is use to from Morrowind.
Okay, that's better. Can SteveMeister confirm this is how the scaling system works? Can anyone find low-level creatures they no longer have a problem with at all now that you are stronger?

So I don't mind the game world growing more challenging over time, but it sure takes the thrill out of leveling when you realize that everything else just leveled as well.

As an example: I'm playing Legend of Oasis on the Saturn these days, and as you progress in the game, harder and harder enemies show up on the overworld, where weak ones used to be. It keeps the game interesting, so that running in the countryside is always a little dangerous. But at the same time, you get stronger and with better equipment so that you can take them out. You gain more and more advantage, but it's never a pushover.

Sysgen said:
Some of you are missing the fundamental point.

That this is not a typical level grinding game. Levels are directly related to your *skills* not your experience points. There is more to do in Oblivion than just killing things. When you level you can use the benefits of leveling **your skills** for more open ended type gameplay. You approach the same situation as you did earlier in the game but with better *skills*.

The potion stuff is an excellent example. As you level your alchemy *skill* you make more powerful potions. Relatively you and the bandit may not have changed but now you can make better potions, so drink a few powerful enhance strength potions and kick his ass or cast a powerful drain fatigue spell and he's as good as a jelly fish.

Guards for example are always 10 levels above you (I read this somewhere) so to start they are 10X more powerful. When you are level 50 and the guard is level 60 they are not 10X more powerful.
That makes perfect sense.

My characther is only level four or five, but I can sure tell a difference in how easily I can take down a goblin now as opposed to when I first fought them at level 1 or 2.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm hoping that the two examples I gave are just broken and scaled too difficult given the rubberbanding, and are exceptions to the rule. As I said, other quests I try at this level are not nearly as difficult as these. I'd like to know if anyone has taken on these quests at level 14, though (The painter and the anvil ghost ship).

Sysgen

GhaleonEB said:
everything else just leveled as well.

That makes perfect sense.

I'm not sure what to make of your underlining but you don't level all your skills at the same time. You build your character through specific skill usage. There is nothing wrong with the system. It is the system that has been used as far back as Daggerfall. I don't have to sit there in some random dungeon accumualting XP points so I can tackle the next quest. An adjustment was made so that the **skill** leveling actually means something.

Speevy said:
The battles are about your ability to use what you have at your disposal.

Thread closed :/

GhaleonEB

Sysgen said:
I'm not sure what to make of your underlining but you don't level all your skills at the same time. You build your character through specific skill usage. There is nothing wrong with the system. It is the system that has been used as far back as Daggerfall. I don't have to sit there in some random dungeon accumualting XP points so I can tackle the next quest. An adjustment was made so that the **skill** leveling actually means something.
I wrote the first section before your response, and edited it in. You explanations make sense, moreso than my speculation. Nerves calmed.

FlyinJ said:
I'm hoping that the two examples I gave are just broken and scaled too difficult given the rubberbanding, and are exceptions to the rule. As I said, other quests I try at this level are not nearly as difficult as these. I'd like to know if anyone has taken on these quests at level 14, though (The painter and the anvil ghost ship).

I did the painter quest at level 1.. I'm fairly sure

inside the painting, right? The painter gives you turpentine(a.k.a. paint thinner).. just poison your weapon with the stuff and they go down in 1 hit.

Top Bottom