• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Zensetsu said:
So who's got phat lewt? I found some fancy shoes that give me permanent waterwalking.

I snagged a permanent walk walking necklace, some armor with 12% shield on them and a ring with 12% shield on it. Also found a ring with 20% chameleon.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Speaking of phat lewt, I've heard that there's a
Ring of Nighteye
. Anyone have this or know where it can be found?

40 hours to finish the MAIN QUEST? Wow. I was almost thinking that it wouldn't be that long considering all the other gameplay there is..

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Have to admit I'm not a fan of the Oblivion Gates constantly opening. Yes, I know you can just ignore them, but geesh. I feel like a gang lord and my turf is constantly getting attacked.

I want to go explore and chill. Every few seconds the sky turns red now and I feel my sense of duty.

Sorry if you thought I was spoilering. I thought it happened randomly throughout the game....as if it were inevitable to know what they were.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Have to admit I'm not a fan of the Oblivion Gates constantly opening. Yes, I know you can just ignore them, but geesh. I feel like a gang lord and my turf is constantly getting attacked.

I want to go explore and chill. Every few seconds the sky turns red now and I feel my sense of duty.

Whoa there spoiler.

Pellham

Banned
If you're having trouble with the difficulty, do like what I did and go to gameplay options and set the difficulty all the way to the left. That sure made killing some enemies so much easier :lol

Burger

I haven't posted here since I got the game, man I've sunk some hours into it. Thanks to everyone at Bethesda for making an amazing game.

I have some questions however.

How can I recharge my magic items ? I have a sword I'd rather like to recharge.

Where can I find trainers, in particular, Armorer and Marksman ?

Thanks....

GhaleonEB

FlyinJ said:
Whoa there spoiler.
Just a suggestion - don't quote spoilers in case we can get him to edit. I'm dropping out of this thread, because I've run into a few of those the last few pages and I want to walk into the game fairly fresh.

And that spoiler does suck. :(

belgurdo

Banned
*note: This whole post could be considered a spoiler, but everyone should come across this pretty quickly if they're exploring. Skip if necessary*

I'm at an
Oblivion Gate
....oh man, this is some epic shit. I'm supposed to rescue some army, and my only backup was some dude who wanted to run. I convinced him to go with me, only to see him get killed in a four against one ambush :( So I took his armor and raided the tower by myself, kicking ass with the awesome powers of martial arts...I have to see how this ends out. :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Grr...so I'm trying to cure my disease 'Witbane', but when I got to a temple to heal it at the alter, I get these cryptic messages saying to "Repent my Sins!".

Can thieves not heal at these things?

Bloodwake

FlyinJ said:
It was much different at level 12:

You get 6 bottles of turpentine, and it takes two bottles to kill each one at level 12. That leaves 3 trolls left that are ridiculously hard to kill, no more turpentine, and none of my spells or weapons would harm them enough to kill them.

I did it at level 5. I just turned around after talking to the painter. I only fought two trolls, used three turpentine bottles a piece :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Bloodwake said:
I did it at level 5. I just turned around after talking to the painter. I only fought two trolls, used three turpentine bottles a piece :D

What do you mean you just turned around after talking to him and fought two trolls? I don't understand

Y2Kevbug11 said:

Sorry if you thought I was spoilering. I thought it happened randomly throughout the game....as if it were inevitable to know what they were.

Sorry to say but...

Eventually, you have to travel to each city and close a gate near them as part of the main quest. I find the repetition to be killing me slowly.

In other news, repairing Daedric armor costs a fortune. My sword was at 63 health, and the repair costs were over 1k already. I almost have the complete set too, just missing the helmet. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Vyse The Legend said:
Sorry to say but...

Eventually, you have to travel to each city and close a gate near them as part of the main quest. I find the repetition to be killing me slowly.

In other news, repairing Daedric armor costs a fortune. My sword was at 63 health, and the repair costs were over 1k already. I almost have the complete set too, just missing the helmet. :D

I'm there. I'm holding off on doing it for as long as possible.

I just did all the Mage Guild shit so that I could not do it right away. But yeah, I can do "that" in like ten minutes...it's just really boring and tedious.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Vyse The Legend said:
Sorry to say but...

repair hammers? :)

Speevy

Banned
I was thinking that we need to create some popular personalities or video game characters. I'm goint to see if I can make a decent Link. Not to play as, but just for kicks.

GreekWolf

Burger said:
One of the old farts at the mage's guild in Chorral can recharge all of your magic items.

As an alternative, you can venture deep into Ayelid dungeons and recover the crystals ( the rare ones which sell for 1k a pop ) that will recharge every magic item in your inventory.

DopeyFish said:
he better start hammering now then ;)

I hate you. =(

I just hit level 25 or so.
Now all the Oblivion planes are filled with high level Daedric knights and wizards. It's going to make closing these gates even more time consuming.

Saying that there are Oblvion Gates opening and need to be closed IS NOT A SPOILER! It's pretty much been known that that was the gist of the story since the game was announced. Or pretty close anyway. If you've read any previews of the game, you'd know that much.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Burger said:
I haven't posted here since I got the game, man I've sunk some hours into it. Thanks to everyone at Bethesda for making an amazing game.

I have some questions however.

Where can I find trainers, in particular, Armorer and Marksman ?

Thanks....

Mages, at stores and at guilds can do charges. Look under their services menus. It's separate from goods.

Seth C

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Saying that there are Oblvion Gates opening and need to be closed IS NOT A SPOILER! It's pretty much been known that that was the gist of the story since the game was announced. Or pretty close anyway. If you've read any previews of the game, you'd know that much.

In fact, that is in the intro movie of the game, if you let it sit idle after putting it in the 360.

Speevy

Banned
There was something seriously wrong with the intro movie on my disk. It had all sorts of spots appearing on it. Nothing even close to this ever happened in the game, however.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
vatstep said:
Speaking of phat lewt, I've heard that there's a
Ring of Nighteye
. Anyone have this or know where it can be found?

40 hours to finish the MAIN QUEST? Wow. I was almost thinking that it wouldn't be that long considering all the other gameplay there is..

There is a ring that allows you to see life 60 feet in front of you. (they glow purple) Almost like nighteye.

It is in the
Sideways Cave located just south of where you get out of the sewer at the start.

You can also use trapped souls to recharge your stuff. Just click on a filled soul gem in your inventory and it'll give you a menu.

It only takes 25 or so of the needed magic school to be able to cast the basic "Soul Trap" spell that's sold at the Mage Guilds. Doing it yourself this way is a lot cheaper than the 1 gold/charge price at the NPCs, particularly if you just swipe the soul gems lying around the Mage Guilds instead of buying them.

GreekWolf

Just cleaned out the "sideways cave" with my level 11 Myrmidon. Some truly epics battles there with trolls, bears and spriggans. :lol
I think I might've scored some ( not leveled ) phat lewts down in the depths.

After sloshing my way through the hidden underground lake, I stumbled upon some ancient ayelid ruins. There was a huge statue in the wall, and some elvish text etched in stone. As I continued down that path, I came to a throne room being guarded by a spriggan. After dispatching her and pet, I looked in the back and found the corpse of a recently deceased scholar, who had apparently been poking around the ruins trying to translate all the elvish riddles, and had gotten himself killed. Next to the body were two ayelid coffins. One contained a Stormhammer Shield and the other a Ring of Shadows. Both very nice items, especially for someone my level.

Just out of curiosity, I took in a lower level character through the dungeon to see if the loot would change... but it remained the same. So maybe this is an example of static items.

Ahahaha I just did the missing painter quest in the dark elf town, the one people were bitching about earlier. I'm level 12 right.
These things flatline me, hardcore. Can't realiable stun them with block, can't heal through the dmg they cause, even if I block everything, they've got some sick amount of HP/Armor, and even with 80 speed it's hard to dodge most their attacks manually. Oh and the turpentine he gives you takes out only half their hp, meaning 6 half hp ones or 3 full ones. I end up sneaking past the first one outright, it's easy enough because of all the rocks. Turp the next three, insta win. Then I get sick of trying to fight them and jump onto the rocks that form the border of the path. Major in acrobatics ftw. It's a simple matter of running to the body, taking a couple blows, and jumping back onto the rocks. Hell it's even cool in a tremors sorta way. I end up bugging them out with them constantly aggro'd on me, unable to reach me on the rocks yet I can hack at them with this huge sword I'm carrying. Easy peasy lemon squeezey.

Between this and my oblivion tower dashes, I'm definently making an acrobatic speedster archer as my next character. Plus the scaling ai stuff is harsh shit sometimes.

belgurdo

Banned
I think I've played Oblivion for 12 hours straight today...and I've just gotten to the west coast by following the road. Dungeon crawling is way too addictive...

belgurdo

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Just cleaned out the "sideways cave" with my level 11 Myrmidon. Some truly epics battles there with trolls, bears and spriggans. :lol
I think I might've scored some ( not leveled ) phat lewts down in the depths.

After sloshing my way through the hidden underground lake, I stumbled upon some ancient ayelid ruins. There was a huge statue in the wall, and some elvish text etched in stone. As I continued down that path, I came to a throne room being guarded by a spriggan. After dispatching her and pet, I looked in the back and found the corpse of a recently deceased scholar, who had apparently been poking around the ruins trying to translate all the elvish riddles, and had gotten himself killed. Next to the body were two ayelid coffins. One contained a Stormhammer Shield and the other a Ring of Shadows. Both very nice items, especially for someone my level.

Just out of curiosity, I took in a lower level character through the dungeon to see if the loot would change... but it remained the same. So maybe this is an example of static items.

I did this dungeon at level four or so, and got only a weak sword that damages fatigue, and a couple of gems. Level scaling for the lose :(

Speevy

Banned
With the scaling in mind, I shudder to think what hellish nightmare that an unknowing player would step into if they used some sort of mod/cheat to reach the highest level.

OH MY GOD GOLDEN DAEDRIC VAMPIRE TITANS ARE COMING OUT OF THE WOODS

Speevy said:
With the scaling in mind, I shudder to think what hellish nightmare that an unknowing player would step into if they used some sort of mod/cheat to reach the highest level.

OH MY GOD GOLDEN DAEDRIC VAMPIRE TITANS ARE COMING OUT OF THE WOODS

:lol :lol :lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I just wanted to note that going back and playing Daggerfall because you want to play Oblivion, but can't, sucks dirty donkey nuts.

Carry on.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is waterwalking of any use? i found some boots of waterwalking, and i guess they're kind of neat, but i could use the gold i'd get from selling them.

Zensetsu

I think I broke an essential thieves guild quest. Can't find any way to complete it now. :(

I had to steal a ring off some countess, was supposed to bribe her servant for the location of it, but I diddn't have the cash. Went searching for it instead. Found her jewelry box, all it had was a "normal" style ring (a valuable one, but not marked for the quest in any way, just generic loot). Gave up on it for a while, went and killed some bandits, got some cash....went back and bribed the servant. She told me to go get it from the box that i had allready looted before...nothing there at the times specified in the quest.

A bit stupid if the quest is that easy to break...hope I can complete it somehow but i've tried a bunch of things...I don't have the save from before.

Speevy

Banned
drohne said:
is waterwalking of any use? i found some boots of waterwalking, and i guess they're kind of neat, but i could use the gold i'd get from selling them.

Three uses:

1) Easy escape from someone/something that's chasing you. They might drown, but it's no guarantee.

2) Slaughterfish killing.

3) Showing a great amount of disrespect for our Lord and Savior.

GhaleonEB

Code:
Qty  Product Description   
1   The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion — Collector's Edition-Xbox 360 

Ben XXX
XXXXXX
HILLSBORO, OR 97124

Woooohooooo shipped same day.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Oh my god- I just completed Through A Nightmare Darkly-

It was a really fun quest, but what did I get as a reward? One scroll of "moonlight", which is see 30 feet in the dark for 120 seconds. What the hell? And hours worth of quest and this is my reward. What a load!

Zensetsu

FlyinJ said:
Oh my god- I just completed Through A Nightmare Darkly-

It was a really fun quest, but what did I get as a reward? One scroll of "moonlight", which is see 30 feet in the dark for 120 seconds. What the hell? And hours worth of quest and this is my reward. What a load!

Am I right in remembering that that is the quest were
you go into the guy's dreams using the magic necklace, and find the essence of his personality to wake him up?
Because I got a really crap reward for that one too. On the other hand, I think you might be exagerating a little, an hours worth of quest? More like 10 mins, tops.

Nutter

Anyone know what / where is the best armor / weapon* in the game?

I got some cash to burn (and i want the best bang for the buck)

(weapon == swords preferably one handed ones)
Also when do you get the
deadric armor
i tried taking it off a fallen enemy but there was no armor available.

I need some pointers on what I believe to be the end of the main storyline...

Does it make any difference whether or not I take on the Great Gate with only Bruma to help or with all the cities combined? I just did it with Bruma only but am curious if I get something if I rally all the towns.

I went through paradise and the Forbidden Grotto... then found a door leading back to paradise... which killed me when I tried to open it... I assume I'm supposed to find a different door (to the castle)?

DopeyFish

Nutter said:
Anyone know what / where is the best armor / weapon* in the game?

I got some cash to burn (and i want the best bang for the buck)

(weapon == swords preferably one handed ones)
Also when do you get the
deadric armor
i tried taking it off a fallen enemy but there was no armor available.

well you can get some
glass armor
in one of the fighters guilds in a display case... don't remember which one it was but it had a very hard lock :p
glass armor
rocks

The best thing about not being a magic user is finding this 50 dollar stones all over the ruins and selling the at usually 400 - 900 bucks a pop.
And I've yet to find a constant effect item that I want so I've made a good 3000 bucks off of those.
Where can I get some really good armour? This steel stuff is nice, but there must be something better. I'm loaded. Gotta spend.

Have you found the Old Bridge? Slightly Northwest of it, along the road (literally, right up against the road) is a ruin... V-something...

I think you might like what you find at the end...

Umbra and her full set of Ebony armor and probably the best sword you will have found until then

DopeyFish

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Have you found the Old Bridge? Slightly Northwest of it, along the road (literally, right up against the road) is a ruin... V-something...

I think you might like what you find at the end...

Umbra and her full set of Ebony armor and probably the best sword you will have found until then

:eek:

*turns 360 back on*

actually the question is do i have to fight for it ? :)

edit:

O.O

i don't even think i have a chance! *sobs*

Top Bottom