• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Sysgen

and to GhaleonEB, the leveling system is a major attraction of the game for me. I can roleplay sitting at a desk in a room as a mage practicing his magic and level my magic skills. Does not sound terribly exciting but the system allows me to do it. Or I can get out in the world, get my ass kicked sometimes and level my skills that way until I master the skill sets I want to use to get things accomplished.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Robobandit said:
I did the painter quest at level 1.. I'm fairly sure

inside the painting, right? The painter gives you turpentine(a.k.a. paint thinner).. just poison your weapon with the stuff and they go down in 1 hit.

It was much different at level 12:

You get 6 bottles of turpentine, and it takes two bottles to kill each one at level 12. That leaves 3 trolls left that are ridiculously hard to kill, no more turpentine, and none of my spells or weapons would harm them enough to kill them.

Speevy

Banned
Sysgen said:
You summarized with such beautiful simplicity that your words belittled my 10 paragraph explanation. :)

Well thanks. It's been edited, because I REALLY don't want to turn this thread into a damage control session about something that's actually pretty interesting if people would give it a chance.

Sysgen

Speevy said:
Well thanks. It's been edited, because I REALLY don't want to turn this thread into a damage control session about something that's actually pretty interesting if people would give it a chance.

It's definitely a matter of understanding. My first TES game was Daggerfall and I didn't understand the system, but then you realize that TES games are built on skill progression and then you understand that your actions really define your charactre and how your character can interact with the game world and then you become the biggest TES fanboy ever.

epmode

GhaleonEB said:
Can anyone find low-level creatures they no longer have a problem with at all now that you are stronger?
I've gotten one shot stealth bow kills on rats, wolves and mudcrabs at level 8, which definitely didn't happen when I first left the sewers.

FlyinJ said:
Damn, I just can't kill these ship ghosts:

In Anvil, on the ship ghost quest. They're ridiculously powerful. None of my weapons damage them, and the only spell that isn't resisted is fireball. I cast a "more susceptible to fire" spell on them, and my fireballs take one pixel of health from them while draining me of 1/4 mana. I ran outside, as suggested by someone else, to let the guards deal with them. Well, the two ghosts that come out kill both the guards as well as any villagers that try to attack them. They also kill the woman on the boat who gave me the quest. Maybe if I was level 3 the guards could kill these things, but at level 14 they rubberbanded them so high it's almost impossible to kill them. What can I do?

Take the resolution down, so when you atack them one pixel equals instant death :)

GhaleonEB

Sysgen said:
and to GhaleonEB, the leveling system is a major attraction of the game for me. I can roleplay sitting at a desk in a room as a mage practicing his magic and level my magic skills. Does not sound terribly exciting but the system allows me to do it. Or I can get out in the world, get my ass kicked sometimes and level my skills that way until I master the skill sets I want to use to get things accomplished.
No, that sounds great. TY

hellfire

FlyinJ said:
Damn, I just can't kill these ship ghosts:

In Anvil, on the ship ghost quest. They're ridiculously powerful. None of my weapons damage them, and the only spell that isn't resisted is fireball. I cast a "more susceptible to fire" spell on them, and my fireballs take one pixel of health from them while draining me of 1/4 mana. I ran outside, as suggested by someone else, to let the guards deal with them. Well, the two ghosts that come out kill both the guards as well as any villagers that try to attack them. They also kill the woman on the boat who gave me the quest. Maybe if I was level 3 the guards could kill these things, but at level 14 they rubberbanded them so high it's almost impossible to kill them. What can I do?

here is my general ghost killing technique:

position yourself so the ghost's left arm is blocked by a doorway or pillar or somesuch. that way they can't use their frost balls on you.

you can then funnel them into a doorway and their only attack is the cutlass, which is easily blocked.

don't forget to use a strong magic/silver/daedric weapon (i used a silver claymore).

if you find yourself getting pelted by the frost balls, get a potion or something of frost absorb. i have a shield of reflect 11%, gauntlets with frost repel, and i quaffed some magic absorb.

this was definitely one of the hardest quests i did, combat wise. the necromancer and arena were easy in comparison.

now if only there was an easy way to take out those (non starving) mountain lions...

hellfire

Zensetsu said:
So who's got phat lewt? I found some fancy shoes that give me permanent waterwalking.

anyone know where're the daedric weapons/armor?

also, where's the shrine of nocturne? i want that unbreakable lock pick...

FlyinJ said:

You get 6 bottles of turpentine, and it takes two bottles to kill each one at level 12. That leaves 3 trolls left that are ridiculously hard to kill, no more turpentine, and none of my spells or weapons would harm them enough to kill them.

I guess it pays to be sneaky hehe.

FlyinJ said:

I tried it at level 4,
it took me 3 bottles to kill one :/
. I figured I'd just come back when I'm more powerful but it looks like that's not going to help.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Drinky Crow said:
Justin, there's a whole truckload of ghosts in the basement of the cathedral in Bravin.

I was just about to ask where to find some ghosts, cheers! I'm quite a low level warrior though so would so I try and get some minor magic skills before I take on ghosts? I haven't even bothered touching the mage's guild yet.

SteveMeister said:
Shadow -- see if you can fast-travel back to Cloud Ruler Temple. You might have to time it so you bring up the map while you're on the ground. If that doesn't help, try steering the horse to a flatter area if possible. Odd issue though.

I loaded the save today and everything was normal. I guess I just had to exit the game and reload it and that would have fixed everything.

Yay!

I've just played for pretty much 12 hours straight since I got it. I've reached the Arcane University but then I sidetracked to get a house. It's definitely worth getting the Anvil house. Lovely location and a cool little sidequest to do before it's inhabitable. Now I'll either start doing quests for Dibella (always my goddess of choice) or get started with the main story or hunt for soul gems and a fortify acrobatics spell to make a good jump ring or, or, or... :D

Did I mention that I love this game?

paul777 said:
Raminus Pollus sells a 7 second paralyze spell and you can get open average and hard lock spells at cheydinhal

Who sells these? I could of sworn I checked every last fuck in Cheyd. Is there something required before they... unlock?

Alright, so I'm finally stuck. I'm doing one of the Arcane University quests and have hit a bit of a roadblock.

I need a drain Magicka spell to move this pillar. It needs 4 spells, fire, ice, fortify magicka and drain magicka. Fire and Ice i had, and I created the fortify magicka. I need a spell or scroll to do drain magica and i'm starting to think they don't exist. HEEELLLLLP

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
RegularMK said:
Anybody know a place to buy lockpicks?

Edit: For that matter, how do I go about joining the thieves guild?

You steal something, preferably in the Capital to save time, and someone will approach you. The first thing you can do after being invited into the guild is buy lockpicks from the guy who invites you into the guild.

RegularMK

Big Nate said:
You steal something, preferably in the Capital to save time, and someone will approach you. The first thing you can do after being invited into the guild is buy lockpicks from the guy who invites you into the guild.

But I've stolen a million things and no one has approached me.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
RegularMK said:
Edit: For that matter, how do I go about joining the thieves guild?

read one of grey fox's wanted posters in the imperial city, then start asking around. keep in mind that characters have more to say about topics that remain yellow. shouldn't take you long to find the guild.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've completed 4/7 of the Mage's Guild recommendation quests. Omfg so long. LET ME IN BITCHES.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
you know, it's a wierd thing, but the one thing I REALLY like in this game, is the draw distance of the world. I mean, you can see, way off in the distance, the ocean and the town of Anvil, etc. It's been done before, but never as well as this.

knitoe

FlyinJ said:
What do you mean? You sneak around them? Or you sneak and get a critical hit when you attack?

You can't sneak pass them. They seem to see you from a mile away. After countless tries, I found a cheap way, and you don't even have to kill any trolls.

Here's what I did:
First thing, notice that the map / path to paint brush is in a counterclockwise circle. So, the brush is actually behind your starting area up the rocks which you can't climb up. Now, run all the way to paint brush. Ignore the trolls attacking you. Grab the brush. Jump down to the starting area. For some reason, the game stops registering you as in combat and thinks you have killed all the trolls. Talk to painter, he'll open the portal, and you're done.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm realizing now that I probably shouldn't have been a Warrior.. considering that fighting is basically my least favorite thing to do in the game (the combat system is definitely great, though). And now it feels a bit too late for me to start over. Oh well.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Confidence Man said:
I tried it at level 4,
. I figured I'd just come back when I'm more powerful but it looks like that's not going to help.

Damn I was only using one bottle of turpintine at level four as a battlemage, no wonder I had trouble. I skipped the quest but i'll do the trick that someone suggested (thank you!)

Rhindle

Is there a guide somewhere for finding the stuff you need give the witch to get rid of
the vampirism
?

Most annoying fetch quest evar.

Confidence Man said:
I tried it at level 4,

Have you guys turned the difficulty up? All I did was attack them one at a time running backwards and shooting arrows, it was pretty easy that way, I didn't get hit even.

Damn this game just amazes. I was running through the forest near Bravil when I heard someone yell "Why won't you die already!". Then I see some dude running after a deer, the same dude I saw earlier sitting down in the Inn of Ill Omen (or something like that). So I'm chasing the hunter up and down hills, as he's stopping now and then to fire an arrow off, when I guess he got too close to a troll and was attacked. I hang back as they fight, the troll kills him, and I swoop in to nab the silver bow he was carrying. Then the troll is on my ass, so I run for five minutes straight until I get to Bravil where a guard intercepts the troll. Later on I went back out to find the guard's body. :lol SUPER AWESOME.

Fantasmo

I need your help!

Main quest at Kvatch is too hard. Can't find any side missions and have been wandering the countryside, fighting 1 wolf or crab every 30 minutes.

Point me in the right direction to get the game moving forward!

I want a horse! I want a house! I want to kill baddies!

knitoe

Fallofmart said:
Have you guys turned the difficulty up? All I did was attack them one at a time running backwards and shooting arrows, it was pretty easy that way, I didn't get hit even.

Never touch difficulty. At level 8, I jumped onto a rock that troll couldn't hit me and let fly with Fine Silver Bow + Silver arrows. It took 50-60 arrows to kill 1 troll. Not good idea. :D

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
knitoe said:
You can't sneak pass them. They seem to see you from a mile away. After countless tries, I found a cheap way, and you don't even have to kill any trolls.

Here's what I did:
First thing, notice that the map / path to paint brush is in a counterclockwise circle. So, the brush is actually behind your starting area up the rocks which you can't climb up. Now, run all the way to paint brush. Ignore the trolls attacking you. Grab the brush. Jump down to the starting area. For some reason, the game stops registering you as in combat and have killed all the trolls. Talk to painter, he'll open the portal, and you're done.

I wish I would've known that when I did the quest. Your method sounds much better than mine.

Here's what I did (level 3 at the time):
I would lure every troll back to the start of the area and then let the painter get into a fist fight with the trolls to distract them whil I swoop in from behind and attack them. It takes a lot of time, and you have to run like hell to get back to the painter every time, but it worked.

knitoe

Dr. Strangelove said:
I wish I would've known that when I did the quest. Your method sounds much better than mine.

Here's what I did (level 3 at the time):
I would lure every troll back to the start of the area and then let the painter get into a fist fight with the trolls to distract them whil I swoop in from behind and attack them. It takes a lot of time, and you have to run like hell to get back to the painter every time, but it worked.

Also, tried that at lvl 8, but insane when painter dies in 2-3 quick hits. I was lucky to get in for 1 hit in that timeframe and it would have taken 30+ hits to kill troll w/o potion.

knitoe

junkster said:
I need your help!

Main quest at Kvatch is too hard. Can't find any side missions and have been wandering the countryside, fighting 1 wolf or crab every 30 minutes.

Point me in the right direction to get the game moving forward!

I want a horse! I want a house! I want to kill baddies!

Go to any city and talk to people. You are bound to get some quests. If you can't kill someone, use the guards / townfolk. In this game, NPC can zone, so just lead them out of cave / building / dungeon / etc. toward guards and watch them get owned. It's important to zone and wait for NPC to zone before running. Otherwise, you'll leave them far behind and they won't run / zone after you.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm new at this.

I'm a High Elf Battle Mage. What is the best way for me to learn powerful magic? I'm level 4 and I said I'm not quite an apprentice in the mage's guild. I just finished the
daedric artifact
quest. I've done little else. How can I learn some great spells and level up my destruction/alteration quickly? Any reccomendations?

HOW CAN I LEARN A HEALING SPELL THAT DOESNT SUCK ASS?

knitoe said:
Never touch difficulty. At level 8, I jumped onto a rock that troll couldn't hit me and let fly with Fine Silver Bow + Silver arrows. It took 50-60 arrows to kill 1 troll. Not good idea. :D

Haha, I did it at level 2, maybe that's why it was easy...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
knitoe said:
Also, tried that at lvl 8, but insane when painter dies in 2-3 quick hits. I was lucky to get in for 1 hit in that timeframe and it would have taken 30+ hits to kill troll w/o potion.

Imagine trying to complete this at level 12. It's so ridiculously hard.

Well, this is good news, I guess. At least I don't just suck, and this quest seems to be a bit broken at higher levels.

Hopefully others won't have this problem.

One of the more frustrating elements of the rubberbanding monsters that I can't seem to overcome is the fact that one out of two melee hits from them makes me stumble backwards, even when holding up my shield. This is for pretty much any monster I fight at level 14. My "Block" is rated at 56, Apprentice... but it just doesn't seem to stop these guys. The only way to get my block up is to defend, but defending results in me getting stunned. Anyone have any advice for this one? I've got a really good dwarven shield as well.

Top Bottom