• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Good idea. This is going to be a huge game. I've got mine reserved and payed off, and I figure between this and GRAW I'll probably be good for awhile, although if Blazing Angels gets good reviews, I'll be hard pressed to pass up on that one too.
After Oblivion I just need to get MLB2K6, and I should be good until Battle for Middle Earth II, which apparently comes out in June. Although, it's going to be hard to pass up "budget" titles like Top Spin 2 and Table Tennis.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
eso76 said:
I have something for you guys that will make the wait a little easier for a change.

13.jpg

i guess this is a low end pc, but still....
anyway, more here
http://www.gamestar.de/aktuell/screenshots/PlayerPicList.jsp?galleryId=954&startAt=0

It's clearly a capture from a video (washed out & blurry), rather than a direct-feed screenshot. And it's also from an old build, because I see an old shader bug (that's been fixed for months) in the texturing on that rock.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
SteveMeister said:
It's clearly a capture from a video (washed out & blurry), rather than a direct-feed screenshot. And it's also from an old build, because I see an old shader bug (that's been fixed for months) in the texturing on that rock.

Those bastards. *shakes fist in anger upon their general direction*

eso76

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Good idea. This is going to be a huge game. I've got mine reserved and payed off, and I figure between this and GRAW I'll probably be good for awhile, although if Blazing Angels gets good reviews, I'll be hard pressed to pass up on that one too.

Oblivion is probably my most wanted game ever..even moreso than shenmue and MGS...heck, more than Last Ninja 2 : )
I'll be sitting in front of my local shop waiting for the game to arrive on March 24th.
Yesterday, when i went and grabbed a copy of GRAW I was surprised to find advertisings for Oblivion and a lot of people asking about it and preordering; this game has become quite popular here but i was disappointed to find out most guys preordering had no idea what kind of game it is...graphics helped sucking in a lot of casuals for sure but casuals will probably go "wtf is this ??" after a few minutes...

vatstep said:
After Oblivion I just need to get MLB2K6, and I should be good until Battle for Middle Earth II, which apparently comes out in June. Although, it's going to be hard to pass up "budget" titles like Top Spin 2 and Table Tennis.

I'll have no problems passing up on Table Tennis. No interest in that one. Top Spin would be fun for a rental for me. Considering the size of Oblivion, and the multiplayer of GRAW, I'm probably good for some time, but the recent IGN preview of Blazing Angels has me keeping an eye on that one too.

eso76

SteveMeister said:

don't worry, i think everyone suspected it was either an old build or the game running on a low end pc : )

Yeah, it will be interesting to see the general public's reaction to the game. You have this great opening and then BAM, 30 minutes of fixing up the face of your avatar. It's a good thing that the game has that obligatory introduction sequence with the Emperor, I'm afraid another "here you are, this is Morrowind, now sod off" beginning like Morrowind would throw a lot of people off.

Unison

SiegfriedFM said:
Yeah, it will be interesting to see the general public's reaction to the game. You have this great opening and then BAM, 30 minutes of fixing up the face of your avatar. It's a good thing that the game has that obligatory introduction sequence with the Emperor, I'm afraid another "here you are, this is Morrowind, now sod off" beginning like Morrowind would throw a lot of people off.

Morrowind sold fine. The series has a pretty huge fanbase, so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

eso76

Unison said:
Morrowind sold fine. The series has a pretty huge fanbase, so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

yeah but many copies of morrowind ended up in the hands of people who had no idea what they just bought and found it boring quite soon. Oblivion graphics have attracted even more casuals who don't even know it's an rpg (seriously, i've heard them "cool ! oblivion ! i've been waiting for this to come out..what was it again ? an rpg right ? you go around slaying orcs and stuff ? cool i'm buying this ! ). Not that there's anything to worry about, except from the fact casuals represent a huge part of the market these days :p

Oh, anyway, i'm hearing Oblivion just got a 10/10 on game reactor : ) can't confirm yet, though.

snatches

Dr_Cogent said:
Aaah. Feels good. Game is paid off in full for the 360. Cmon release day!

Collectors Edition amirite? ;)

Can't wait to pick this up (10days bitches)

I've had it paid off since August, had to move my preorder over to the CE last month though....

saelz8

I kept myself away from this thread, I didnt look at it until now.

I regret the decision.

I should have never entered this thread again. Ever.

When you see shit like this and...
devdiary_march_screen10B.jpg

A) Your PC is on a 5200 because your 6800 died a month prior. B) You have no 360

You know, it makes a grown man want to..
baby_crying_closeup.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Orodreth said:
you´re so perfect you´re so right as rain
you make me make me make me make me hungry againnn

Everything you do is irresistable
Everything you do is simple kissableee

why can´t i buy you ?
why can´t i buy you ?

Hey a fellow (the) Cure fan, nice.

eso76 said:
yeah but many copies of morrowind ended up in the hands of people who had no idea what they just bought and found it boring quite soon. Oblivion graphics have attracted even more casuals who don't even know it's an rpg (seriously, i've heard them "cool ! oblivion ! i've been waiting for this to come out..what was it again ? an rpg right ? you go around slaying orcs and stuff ? cool i'm buying this ! ). Not that there's anything to worry about, except from the fact casuals represent a huge part of the market these days :p

Oh, anyway, i'm hearing Oblivion just got a 10/10 on game reactor : ) can't confirm yet, though.

Hehehe, this is what cracks me up. Most people don't have a clue as to what they're getting themselves into. This is a hardcore western RPG, not some 10 hour-long action game. Just watch, a few days after it's released this board will be bombarded with "OMG this game suxxx!!! It's too slow, buggy etc...".

And Cogent, I'm surprised, you absolutely loathed Morrowind.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Spruce Moose said:
Hehehe, this is what cracks me up. Most people don't have a clue as to what they're getting themselves into. This is a hardcore western RPG, not some 10 hour-long action game. Just watch, a few days after it's released this board will be bombarded with "OMG this game suxxx!!! It's too slow, buggy etc...".

And Cogent, I'm surprised, you absolutely loathed Morrowind.

Yes, I did. For the following reasons:

* The footstep sound was the same no matter what. That really lost immersion for me. Yes, I am picky.
* The game ran like crap on my pretty beefy machine.
* The NPCs seemed very lifeless

I hope for my sake there aren't the same footstep sounds all the time no matter what.

If I hate it, I will be hunting down Steve. :lol

Everyone should stand around EB Games/GameStop/Insert Game Store of choice, and tell any casual players lurking about that it's "Just Like Fable!" :lol

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Everyone should stand around EB Games/GameStop/Insert Game Store of choice, and tell any casual players lurking about that it's "Just Like Fable!" :lol

To scare 'em away? Or because the idea of a dumb RPG like that would appeal to them?

Orodreth said:
Yep :)

BTW there´s a new album coming these year ( and porl thompson is back ).

Good news, both. Maybe we can except something like Kiss me (x3) or Disintegration once more.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
If the same footstep sound is used throughout the whole game, I am going to send Tommy Tallarico to Bethesda's offices to deal with them. Don't make me do it. :D

Fallout-NL said:
Thats because it was awful :lol (and most people here have taste).

Nah, it just didn't live up to the hype and potential that Molyneux spewed out for three years. The casuals played it and loved it for what it was. In all fairness, I played it and enjoyed it despite it's limitations, but clearly it wasn't the "Greatest RPG of All Time" as it was built up to be.

But I'd love to see some of those same Fable fans pick up Oblivion and attempt to play it for the first time. Talk about going from Kindergarten to Grad School in two short games! :)

Vark

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Nah, it just didn't live up to the hype and potential that Molyneux spewed out for three years. The casuals played it and loved it for what it was. In all fairness, I played it and enjoyed it despite it's limitations, but clearly it wasn't the "Greatest RPG of All Time" as it was built up to be.

But I'd love to see some of those same Fable fans pick up Oblivion and attempt to play it for the first time. Talk about going from Kindergarten to Grad School in two short games! :)

I think the casuals will have a little better time at this one simply because the combat is so much more accessible.

It's still daunting, but the goals and what not are a lot more clear than Morrowind ever was.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Fallout-NL said:
Hey a fellow (the) Cure fan, nice.

looks at screenshots of oblivion

i've been looking so long at these pictures of you
that i almost believe that they're real
i've been living so long with my pictures of you
that i almost believe that the pictures are all i can feel

DenogginizerOS said:

It feels good to share a forum with the right kind of people :p.

StRaNgE

Banned
Orodreth said:
Yep :)

BTW there´s a new album coming these year ( and porl thompson is back ).

Porl is back , what about Boris?

hell yeah! the last album was GREAT was like part 3 to faith,disintegration...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
DenogginizerOS said:

:lol awesome.

Robobandit said:
for those that care, the soundtrack is now available for purchase through DirectSong.

$10 for 26 tracks isn't too bad, imho. :)

Yeah, and from what I understand, the music is excellent in Oblivion. Some of the previews remarked about how good it was and that you wouldn't need a custom soundtrack on this one. :)

syllogism

No, exclusively on directsong.com (Soule's website). Like I posted over 12 hours ago (cough), they utilize DRM so you can't even play them on Winamp.

ah.. I didn't see that posted. My apologies for posting old news. Anyway, you're allowed to burn them to a normal music cd.. so there's nothing stopping you from ripping/playing that in Winamp.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Vark said:
I think the casuals will have a little better time at this one simply because the combat is so much more accessible.

It's still daunting, but the goals and what not are a lot more clear than Morrowind ever was.
Though the refined combat will go a long way into making this a more casual friendly game (and making the hardcore fans happy as well) the biggest complaint I always heard about Morrowind was that the game was too daunting without a clear goal structure in place from the beginning. Sure you could argue that the missions given to you in the excise office were very clear and direct but there was no sort of virtual "handrail" to keep you in line until you got the hang of things. I think and it seems that Oblivion's extended tutorial section where you're plodding through the caves from your dungeon will go a long way into acclimating the new players with the combat and mechanics of the game before they have to make any important decisions such as the ever present "where to go?" and "what do I do?" questions.

Orodreth

StRaNgE said:
Porl is back , what about Boris?

Jason Cooper is still there and did a great job in the last album.

Boris came back as "guest star" only for the greatest hits album. He played percussions in the "unplugged" versions of the songs.

StRaNgE said:
hell yeah! the last album was GREAT was like part 3 to faith,disintegration...

Are you talking about "Bloodflowers" or "the cure"?

The homonym is the last one, released 2004 i think. It has some average-good songs but also some great great ones like "truth, goodness and beauty" or "going nowhere" worthy of disintegration, imho.

sorry for the cure offtopic.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Ok... I dont like RPG games... will I like this??? i liked Final fantasy 8 i think for PS.. will this be a game for non RPG lovers??

Vark

Malleymal said:
Ok... I dont like RPG games... will I like this??? i liked Final fantasy 8 i think for PS.. will this be a game for non RPG lovers??

Well that entirely depends on what you don't like about RPGs.

What normally turns you off about them?

Orodreth said:
Jason Cooper is still there and did a great job in the last album.

Boris came back as "guest star" only for the greatest hits album. He played percussions in the "unplugged" versions of the songs.

Are you talking about "Bloodflowers" or "the cure"?

The homonym is the last one, released 2004 i think. It has some average-good songs but also some great great ones like "truth, goodness and beauty" or "going nowhere" worthy of disintegration, imho.

sorry for the cure offtopic.

Personally liked 'lost' the best on that one. And Im sorry for the offtopic as well (last one I promise).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Quick question:

Loved Morrowind, thought the combat was sucky. Is it fixed in Oblivion?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Vark said:
Well that entirely depends on what you don't like about RPGs.

What normally turns you off about them?

I dont like the run up to someone then punch , and then run back in line , set up battle, I like to just go out and fight... does this game do that??

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Malleymal said:
I dont like the run up to someone then punch , and then run back in line , set up battle, I like to just go out and fight... does this game do that??

You really don't know anything about The Elder Scrolls, do you?

It's a first person (mainly) RPG. Combat is action oriented. Imagine a FPS (Sorry), with huge RPG elements, and a fantasy setting and combat (melee).

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
SnakeXs said:
You really don't know anything about The Elder Scrolls, do you?

I dont, thats why I was asking...

I see what you are saying... i guess I will read the reviews and all and see what happens.. thanks for the description

Pellham

Banned
Malleymal said:

haha great description of Japanese RPGs.

Anyway, the action is in realtime in Oblivion. Most western RPGs use a realtime battle system.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So...I just discovered that the Xbox 360 version is the only version capable of doing HDR+AA. With the PC, you have to choose between HDR and AA (with bloom). Interesting.

Chiggs said:
So...I just discovered that the Xbox 360 version is the only version capable of doing HDR+AA. With the PC, you have to choose between HDR and AA (with bloom). Interesting.

Where'd you hear that?

Chiggs said:

Don't tell Borys.

Top Bottom