• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

rod

Banned
Warm Machine said:
I've got an HDD. What does holding A do?

clears the HDD cache (temp files from oblivion, MAYBE from other games) just try it, it worked for me (in different circumstances tho, id been playing for a good 10 hours before i started getting long load times)

vatstep said:
Question about keys: From what I can tell, you can get rid of them you have after you've used them once - is this correct? I haven't come across any doors where I actually even needed to have the key in my inventory if I had used it before..

I've found a couple forts that have a door lock that you previously opened up.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Haha, I was just messing around in a tavern, and that watchman you help send to jail in the Imperial Corruption quest busted through the door and started screaming and attacking me. He came out of nowhere and scared the SHIT out of me. That was insane.
:lol

xabre

Banned
Some funny shit in this game. I'm going to Bravil for the first time yesterday and when I was right just near the town I come across this troll (first time I've encountered these). Anyway as he runs over to attack I get off my horse and start to kite him with arrows as I usually do (character is lvl 7 woodelf thief/archer), trouble is I only have about three arrows and pretty soon I was in deep shit with not a chance in hell in melee combat. Fortunately when the troll attacked he pissed my horse off, so as this troll is chasing me around my horse was getting some shots in (something albeit not much). This troll packed a punch and with a few hits had my health down pretty low; I used the heal spell when I could but quickly ran low on Magicka.

Just when things looked bad some archer dude nearby saw what was going on and came over to help. And as luck would have it, a few seconds later some female archer who was also nearby came over to help as well. So I had this troll chasing me around while my horse and two local archers beat on it as I got in as many melee shots as I could. Eventually got the bastard; saved by the local townsfolk.

rod

Banned
xabre said:
Some funny shit in this game. I'm going to Bravil for the first time yesterday and when I was right just near the town I come across this troll (first time I've encountered these). Anyway as he runs over to attack I get off my horse and start to kite him with arrows as I usually do (character is lvl 7 woodelf thief/archer), trouble is I only have about three arrows and pretty soon I was in deep shit with not a chance in hell in melee combat. Fortunately when the troll attacked he pissed my horse off, so as this troll is chasing me around my horse was getting some shots in (something albeit not much). This troll packed a punch and with a few hits had my health down pretty low; I used the heal spell when I could but quickly ran low on Magicka.

Just when things looked bad some archer dude nearby saw what was going on and came over to help. And as luck would have it, a few seconds later some female archer who was also nearby came over to help as well. So I had this troll chasing me around while my horse and two local archers beat on it as I got in as many melee shots as I could. Eventually got the bastard; saved by the local townsfolk.

:lol thats awesome

3rdman

tegdf said:
how do you buy the shack thats for sale at the imperial waterfront? and can the items you put in your house be stolen?

Wait a damn minute...I can put items onto my horse to relieve me from some weight????

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
tedgf said:
how do you buy the shack thats for sale at the imperial waterfront? and can the items you put in your house be stolen?

Visit the Imperial Commerce place in the Imperial City Market District. It costs 2000 gold. Then you will have to furnish it, which costs even more money. You need to furnish it to get the storage cabinets and stuff. And yes, you can store stolen merchandise there. I've got 2 bottles of Skooma in one of my cabinets.

3rdman

Could someone point me in the direction of where I can buy a novice bounding spell such as "Bound Boots" or "Bound Gauntlets"?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Anyone done the Glathir quest dubbed paranoia? :lol

he had me stalking some woman to see if she was "watching" him. So there I am sneaking behind her and I look around and lo and behold a 2nd man is sneaking around behind her :lol I was like "wtf you too?!" Turns out he was just trying to pick pocket her though.

Anyway these people all turn out to be innocent (if you areabout to do this quest, don't bother following the people! >_> takes awhile and is boring) but I told him that someone was spying on him anyway and he wrote a note asking me to kill one lol. Showed it to the guards and watched as he was hunted down and chopped to pieces. He put up a decent fight considering he only had fists :D

Then I went to his house and read his notes, haha very funny and convincing, well done Bethesda.

Coen

Got a quick question about the mage recommendations.
I've been trying to get the recommendations from the Cheydinhal mageguild. Did the quest, got the ring of burden and talked to the lizardlady. Seems the guy that needed to sign my recommendation ran off and now I'm supposed to find something in his room. But I just can't seem to find anything out of the ordinary. Can someone help me with this?

3rdman

kaizoku said:

he had me stalking some woman to see if she was "watching" him. So there I am sneaking behind her and I look around and lo and behold a 2nd man is sneaking around behind her :lol I was like "wtf you too?!" Turns out he was just trying to pick pocket her though.

Anyway these people all turn out to be innocent (if you areabout to do this quest, don't bother following the people! >_> takes awhile and is boring) but I told him that someone was spying on him anyway and he wrote a note asking me to kill one lol. Showed it to the guards and watched as he was hunted down and chopped to pieces. He put up a decent fight considering he only had fists :D

Then I went to his house and read his notes, haha very funny and convincing, well done Bethesda.

I posted the exact same experience in another thread! I then started watching the pickpocketer and he started stealing from other people in the field.

Vark

Coen said:
I've been trying to get the recommendations from the Cheydinhal mageguild. Did the quest, got the ring of burden and talked to the lizardlady. Seems the guy that needed to sign my recommendation ran off and now I'm supposed to find something in his room. But I just can't seem to find anything out of the ordinary. Can someone help me with this?

your looking for black soul gems in his room

Wolffen

Coen said:

You need to look in the guy's desk in his room. There should be some parchment and two dark stones. Take the stones and go talk to the lizard lady.

edit: Well, Vark beat me to it.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
kaizoku said:

Or you could do what I did:

Keep stringing him along, by taking the job for the next person to follow and collecting 150gp a pop, until you eventually tell him he's being followed, watch as he gets slaughtered and then rob his house blind too :D

My favourtite was retrieving an amulet for the countess in Bruma:

First I did the quest, got a nice ring out of her, then crept back later that night and stole the amulet too from one of her display cases. (I'd already emptied the others a few nights earlier) :p

I have a spell, off the top of my head I don't know the exact name, that picks lock with an easy difficulty automatically. If I keep using that spell will it start to work with more difficult locks or are there other spells that deal with locks of higher difficulty?

Ecrofirt

Vennt said:

Keep stringing him along, by taking the job for the next person to follow and collecting 150gp a pop, until you eventually tell him he's being followed, watch as he gets slaughtered and then rob his house blind too :D

Isn't that essentially exactly what he did?
He did everything up until the assination note. That means he followed 3 people around, as I recall. I did the same thing, but decided not to kill anyone. I was pretty pissed when the guard butchered him right outside the chapel, though. Didn't stop me from looting him and leaving him naked at the chapel doorstep though.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
kaizoku said:

He eventually decided that *I* was one of the conspirators and he hunted and attacked me, which quickly ended in his death =) For me he had an enchanted axe if I recall

Ecrofirt said:
Isn't that essentially exactly what he did?
He did everything up until the assination note. That means he followed 3 people around, as I recall. I did the same thing, but decided not to kill anyone. I was pretty pissed when the guard butchered him right outside the chapel, though. Didn't stop me from looting him and leaving him naked at the chapel doorstep though.

My method was much better :)
I watched the first woman, was bored to tears... got pissed off, was going to kill Glathir for wasting my time--then I realized I should string him along. So I told him she was spying on him, he gave me eventual assignments, but I just waited for 24 hours each time after i talked to him...

It was a heckuva lot of cash for napping 72 hours!

kaizoku

Vennt said:

My favourtite was retrieving an amulet for the countess in Bruma:

First I did the quest, got a nice ring out of her, then crept back later that night and stole the amulet too from one of her display cases. (I'd already emptied the others a few nights earlier) :p

Actually thats exactly what I did lol.
I also broke into all the people's houses and got myself a nirnroot in the last guy's house while he was sleeping. That was a nice surprise.

That countess
has been on my hit list for awhile lol, when she spoke to me I had a nice look at those katana looking blades. They will be mine, oh yes, as soon as I bother doing that quest.

SteveMeister said:
Also grab the armor of the folks you kill and repair that :)

WOW! I didn't even think of that...that makes so much sense! Thank you sir!!

I didn't even touch this game yesterday. I got home late and I didn't want to be up until 2am and coming to work on less than 4 hours sleep. We need an Oblivion Anonymous support group.

Hi my name is Apharmd Battler, and I'm addicted to Elderscrolls 4: Oblivion! <hangs head in shame>. :lol

kaizoku

PotatoeMasher said:
My method was much better :)
I watched the first woman, was bored to tears... got pissed off, was going to kill Glathir for wasting my time--then I realized I should string him along. So I told him she was spying on him, he gave me eventual assignments, but I just waited for 24 hours each time after i talked to him...

It was a heckuva lot of cash for napping 72 hours!

you need to close the tag :)

that was interesting, playing along from the start, how many tasks did he give you? the usual 3? he just made us follow 3 people. Did anyone actually go and kill the people and see what happens then? Damn I bet he gives you something good.

Waku said:
The Vampirism thing brought my Game to new Hights. :lol

At first I was also pretty anoyed by the whole thing but since learned to deal with it and combine my feeding with stealing runs. The stupid Pirate Bitch got so much on my nerves that I finaly just jump on her boat.

WHAT YOU GONNA DO NOW HUH?!

Well she and her two buddies decieded to slice me up for good. Bad for them that a Guard was just walking by killing them for me. So now i'm a Vampire Pirate with a Place to sleep during the day if needed which also made the Vampirism thing more tolerable, escpecialy with one Homless just sleeping around the corner with nobody to see me. Can't start the night without a good Breakfast.

So i pretty much embraced my Vampirehood but the killer thing was just a few Minutes ago when i was staking out the Guard Captain to steal back the Tax Money of the Waterfront Inhabitants, when a woman came up to me and invited me to the Home of some guy. Suprisingly they have an amateur Vampire Hunting Circle down in their cellar and now want ME to go out and Hunt those despicable Vampires. :lol

Oblivion became my personal Blade: Pirate Vampire Hunter Simulator. :lol :lol

blade7id.jpg

Thank you Bethesda. <3

LMAO!!! Now that is hilarious!! Dammit I love this game!!

mikeGFG

Banned
Who has the best armor/weapon item in the game so far?
I found this on the main quest, and im not sure if the game randomizes those drops:

Mundane Ring, worth 21,600
(reflect Spell 35% on self)
(resist magic 50% on self)

I have a question about owning a horse. I still have the horse I got early in the main quest (Weynon Priory or whatever). I've been riding him around for like 12 hours. I keep hearing hints and references (in this thread) that you can somehow use the horse to ease your encumberence. So somebody spill the beans, can I put stuff on a horse, can a horse help me haul around my loot? It sucks when I go into am Oblivion gate and kill some of the high level enemies, and can't even haul the stuff out with me. I lost an enchanted 'Bow of Embers' this way. SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT"S THE DEAL!!

StRaNgE

Banned
xabre said:

That makes me think i should go get this game ASAP.

i could not get into Morrowind though so i been debating this one.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
StRaNgE said:
That makes me think i should go get this game ASAP.

i could not get into Morrowind though so i been debating this one.

I didnt like Morrowind but i cant stop playing this. It does a much better job of getting your attention and keeping it right from the word go.

StRaNgE

Banned
How long do you need to sit down for at a time to actually make some progress?
30 minutes a day an hour? 2 hours?

i am running on some serious limited free time for the next few weeks .

Apharmd Battler said:
I have a question about owning a horse. I still have the horse I got early in the main quest (Weynon Priory or whatever). I've been riding him around for like 12 hours. I keep hearing hints and references (in this thread) that you can somehow use the horse to ease your encumberence. So somebody spill the beans, can I put stuff on a horse, can a horse help me haul around my loot? It sucks when I go into am Oblivion gate and kill some of the high level enemies, and can't even haul the stuff out with me. I lost an enchanted 'Bow of Embers' this way. SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT"S THE DEAL!!

Nope. But it's not like you can take the horse into Oblivion with you anyway.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
StRaNgE said:
How long do you need to sit down for at a time to actually make some progress?
30 minutes a day an hour? 2 hours?

i am running on some serious limited free time for the next few weeks .

Might be best to wait, you'll find it pretty difficult to concentrate on anything else if you like Oblivion even the slightest little bit.

Ghost said:
Might be best to wait, you'll find it pretty difficult to concentrate on anything else if you like Oblivion even the slightest little bit.

yeah.. I've played 40-50 hrs over the last week it seems.. and I haven't even started the main quest :lol

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
kaizoku said:

that was interesting, playing along from the start, how many tasks did he give you? the usual 3? he just made us follow 3 people. Did anyone actually go and kill the people and see what happens then? Damn I bet he gives you something good.
You get a 1000 bounty for killing one of them no matter what you do it seems, and then he gives you a 1000 gold as a reward. I did the quest in a number of ways before settling for not killing the last 1000g bounty guy, and turning the paranoid mister in instead.

Xdrive05

Is there any way to increase the charge cap on weapons? My sword's magic runs out after just a few battles and it costs way too much to keep recharging it for a fee.

Or is there at least a way to recharge it yourself? And if so, how?

Thanks.

:)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Had a funny thing happen to me last night. I had yet to visit Leyawiin so I set off from Cheydenhal and headed south. About halfway there I saw a shrine off to my left, so I left the road to visit it. Not wanting to dungeon crawl now, I just "unlocked" it on the map for a later visit.

As I was heading back to the road, the battle music started and I looked around for whatever set it off. Suddenly this bandit comes rushing over the hill towards me, swinging a massive glass warhammer. Just as I begun to engage him, a black horse, head down nostrils flairing, came flying over the hill and tore into the bandit. I swung my sword, stunned that this horse had come out of nowhere to help me.

As soon as the bandit fell, the horse turned and sped off the direction it had came. I followed, curious to see if I could keep up with it and find out why it had helped. We crossed the road I had been travelling on and went down into a small valley, where I heard the sounds of battle. Seems some chick was fighting off a bandit, and now had the help of this black horse.

When I engaged, I noticed the chick was a Courier, so this explained the horse. During the course of battle I accidentally struck her, and she screamed at me, "We're on the same side!". After the bandit fell, she hopped on the horse and sped off down the road, never to be seen again...

Played for several hours last night. Completed the fourth Thieves Guild mission the one where
You have to steal the ring back from the Countess by sneaking through the secret torture chamber.
Pretty tense stuff sneaking by guards and into the room to complete the quest. :)

I also did the Everscamp quest which yielded up a nice ring of
+9 blade/+9 block.
which is proving to be helpful to be more effective in combat.

Pellham

Banned
vatstep said:
Haha, I was just messing around in a tavern, and that watchman you help send to jail in the Imperial Corruption quest busted through the door and started screaming and attacking me. He came out of nowhere and scared the SHIT out of me. That was insane.

he did that to me while i was in a freakin dungeon

Sysgen

Apharmd Battler said:
WOW! I didn't even think of that...that makes so much sense! Thank you sir!!

I didn't even touch this game yesterday. I got home late and I didn't want to be up until 2am and coming to work on less than 4 hours sleep. We need an Oblivion Anonymous support group.

Hi my name is Apharmd Battler, and I'm addicted to Elderscrolls 4: Oblivion! <hangs head in shame>. :lol

I'm in. Sleep deprivation. Weight gain. So it's 1:30 in the morning last night. I was north around Imperial city and needed to go far out west. I mean really far and I don't use fast travel. This game is so captivating and engrossing and absorbing and immersive that I couldn't quit and all I wanted to do was start traveling the road to the west just to see what was going to happen next.

kaizoku said:

Yeah--for all he knew I was actually going to see them, so I got all the directives from him. I'd love to go back and see what happens if you kill the "spies."

IJoel

I found a 'glitched' guard in one of the dark brotherhood missions:
The one where you have to infiltrate the Imperial Prison and kill a jailed man. I basically got there and the guard wouldn't move from the front of the cell. I waited and waited and he wouldn't move. So then I pushed him and moved him to inside the next cell, then completed the mission. The guard never said anything about being pushed (I was using an invisibility spell.)

.Abras. said:
I didn't know that. How you do it?
You just click on the soul gem with a soul and it'll bring up a menu with the rechargable weapons you can use them on.

Chi-Town

.Abras. said:
I didn't know that. How you do it?

Just select a Soul Gem in your inventory and a screen comes up showing the charge in your weapons and you can pick which one you want to apply the magic to.

Wolffen

3rdman said:
Could someone point me in the direction of where I can buy a novice bounding spell such as "Bound Boots" or "Bound Gauntlets"?

I can't remember which Mage Guild had those spells. I think it was Chorrol or Anvil, not sure. I assume you want to boost conjuration, based on your previous posts. I saw mentioned that Edgar's Cheap Spell shop in the Imperial Market Place has a Bound Dagger spell that is novice level and lasts 15 seconds, and is relatively cheap. Give that place a shot.

One other thing: One of the Mage Guilds sells a Summon Skeleton spell. If you've got the skills and magika for it (I think it's novice level), it's a great double-up for increasing stats. You can practice sneak, destruction, marksman, hand-to-hand, blade, etc. on it. I boosted my Destruction and sneak skills pretty quick that way.

.Abras.

Chi-Town said:
Just select a Soul Gem in your inventory and a screen comes up showing the charge in your weapons and you can pick which one you want to apply the magic to.

I'm lvl 13, and I don't know how to capture a soul. :lol
How this works?

kaizoku

Some clarification on the trainers please.

Around the world there are various trainers at various levels who can train you 5 times each? Once you do one guy 5 times or surpass them yourself you can't use them anymore right?

Is there any more to it than that? Any drawbacks to doing this everytime you see an available trainer? Any reason NOT to spam every trainer you see asap?

Geoff9920

kaizoku said:
Some clarification on the trainers please.

Around the world there are various trainers at various levels who can train you 5 times each? Once you do one guy 5 times or surpass them yourself you can't use them anymore right?

Is there any more to it than that? Any drawbacks to doing this everytime you see an available trainer? Any reason NOT to spam every trainer you see asap?
You can only train 5 times total per level. That's the catch.

Top Bottom