• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Plus they wander around town making my life miserable trying to find them. There's one lady in the Imperial City that I've been trying to get a hold of for awhile now but I can't find her at all. I broke into her house at night and she wasn't in her bed. I went in there mid-day but the place was empty. Now I'm starting to wonder if I didn't kill her during some quest or something. I really can't remember.

IJoel

BTW, did anyone get the
Wizard's Fury
spell when you reach Wizard level in the Mage's Guild? It's awesome.

Damage =
25 shock + 25 cold + (12 fire for 8 seconds)
and it's relatively cheap to cast

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Wait - so if I'm level 9, I can train 5 seperate times at whichever trainers I choose and THATS IT?

Then I can do it 5 times again at level 10?

Crap I shouldn't have spammed the last trainer I saw :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The weirdest thing happened to me last night.
I was doing the main quest, and was waiting in front of the Arcane University, and decided to wait for 24 hours. When I awoke from my wait, a guard from the Brink Mine was standing mere inches from my face, shouting "YOU'RE LIVING ON BORROWED TIME, THIEF!!" At which point, he turned tail, and ran towards the nearest guard and proceeded to pummel the crap out of them. For some reason, Hieronymous Lex was there too, and he was knocked unconcious numerous times by the Brink Mine guards.

At some point, it actually turned in a small war, as 9 brink mine guards were fighting guards, and random NPCs from different quests I'd done in the past that had magically shown up at the location as well.

Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Varla stones will recharge all your charged items at the same time. You can steal one from the Queen in Chorrol in a glass display case or go loot some ruins.

I just can't stop my thievery...I even looted the Councilman who sits alone in the Imperial palace.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
TheTrin said:
Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?

I've never seen a war erupt among NPCs, that would be a blast to see. But I do notice that about 10 NPC will spawn in a group out of nowheres at times and it kills my frame rate!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MrToughPants said:
I've never seen a war erupt among NPCs, that would be a blast to see. But I do notice that about 10 NPC will spawn in a group out of nowheres at times and it kills my frame rate!

I guess it occured because the brink mine guards are naturally evil aligned. Because of that, they're programmed to attack the Imperial guards. Once they realized the Imperial guard was there too, things just got out of hand. :p

slayn

needs to show more effort.
.Abras. said:
I'm lvl 13, and I don't know how to capture a soul. :lol
How this works?

there is a mysticism spell, soul trap. Buy it. Requires apprentice level to cast though.

you cast that on an emeny and then have about 20 seconds to kill them while soul trap is in effect, if you do, you get their soul. Note that you can not steal the soul of 'humanoids' (basically any of the humanish races that you could have picked for your character)

when you steal a soul, you need a soul gem to hold it in. Souls and gems come in different sizes and a gem can only hold a soul that is equal to or less than it in size. When you steal a soul, that soul will be placed in the smallest gem in your inventory that can hold it.

you can then click on it to use it (the gem and soul are gone forever) to refill charges. You get a pretty good recharge from even smaller souls. And something like an Ogre which is 'common' gives, I think, like 800 charges.

There is an artifact that acts as an infinite soul gem that I've since come across. You still have to steal souls but when I recharge the gem does not get used up so as long as I have the mana to capture souls, I can infinitely recharge my stuff without having to buy more soul gems.

thetrin

slayn said:
There is an artifact that acts as an infinite soul gem that I've since come across. You still have to steal souls but when I recharge the gem does not get used up so as long as I have the mana to capture souls, I can infinitely recharge my stuff without having to buy more soul gems.

Let me guess:
Azura's star?

MrToughPants said:
In a crowded area like a town, attack a NPC, then quickly run and find another NPC. Put that second NPC inbetween you and the NPC you attacked. The NPC you attacked will try to attack you, but end up hitting the person in the middle. Then sit back and watch the hillarity ensue.

thetrin

slayn said:
I don't recall the name but... probably? I think that sounds right.

You get it from doing a daedra shrine quest. If that is it, this is good news for me. I need a renewable soul gem.

slayn

TheTrin said:
You get it from doing a daedra shrine quest. If that is it, this is good news for me. I need a renewable soul gem.

I'm confused, so you know about the artifact but...don't?

Explanaiton of where I got it:

It was all pretty random which is why I don't remember this that well. I was off exploring some place to the far north east when I encountered a cliff with a journal about some monster that had killed two lovers. When I looked over the cliff, it talked about having an incredible view and put like 5 markers on my map of different dungeons and such.

At one of those places that it found for me, there was a statue that talked to me and told me that there had been some incredibly powerful vampire that a team of 5 heroes were able to defeat, but at the cost of their humanity. They now roam around as vampires. I went and killed them, thus letting them finally ascend into peace, and the statue gave me this artifact soul gem.

I don't remember anything saying this was a 'daedra' shrine or whatnot. It was just a statue in the middle of nowhere.

Sysgen

By chance I had an imperial guard help me out in a cavern last night during a quest. He followed me in due to the bounty on my head just as I ran onto a ghost and a conjurer. The conjurer cast zombie and all fucking hell broke loose. Because the guard is always levels above you he took out a good portion of the room for me. But then.... <sinister>I wasn't going to jail or paying no fine so he never saw the light of day. Unfortunatley the poor chap couldn't heal himself before dealing with me. I looted his corpse and took his horse.</sinister> hehe

thorns

Banned
Another question... Do dungeons respawn after a while? Otherwise is it possible to visit all the dungeons and have no more mobs to kills?

thetrin

slayn said:
I'm confused, so you know about the artifact but...don't?

Explanaiton of where I got it:

It was all pretty random which is why I don't remember this that well. I was off exploring some place to the far north east when I encountered a cliff with a journal about some monster that had killed two lovers. When I looked over the cliff, it talked about having an incredible view and put like 5 markers on my map of different dungeons and such.

At one of those places that it found for me, there was a statue that talked to me and told me that there had been some incredibly powerful vampire that a team of 5 heroes were able to defeat, but at the cost of their humanity. They now roam around as vampires. I went and killed them, thus letting them finally ascend into peace, and the statue gave me this artifact soul gem.

I don't remember anything saying this was a 'daedra' shrine or whatnot. It was just a statue in the middle of nowhere.

Yep, that's the item I have. I have the item, I just haven't used it yet. It's in my soul gem list, so I assumed it's a soul gem. I haven't used it because I don't have soul trap yet (about to go buy it). Mystery solved. ;)

thorns said:
Another question... Do dungeons respawn after a while? Otherwise is it possible to visit all the dungeons and have no more mobs to kills?

They will respawn after a while. I think it's after a game week, but I can't be sure.

StRaNgE

Banned
Ghost said:
Might be best to wait, you'll find it pretty difficult to concentrate on anything else if you like Oblivion even the slightest little bit.

i appriciate the honesty.

but damn after reading how alive this game sounds i think i can not help it.
i will pick it up on my next day off i hope!

Nutter

How do you advance further in Dark Brotherhood?
i have completed the kill each member and 5 more contracts for lucian but no promotion? (currently a silencer)

StRaNgE said:
i appriciate the honesty.

but damn after reading how alive this game sounds i think i can not help it.
i will pick it up on my next day off i hope!

If you want the Limited Edition, I'd go ahead and pick it up if you see it anywhere. It's been disappearing from store shelves from what I hear. Just don't open it until you get your free time to spare - because once you're in, you're in for good.

shpankey

not an idiot
loving the game, although it's locking up quite a bit. i played a whole day and didn't level past 1 and incidentally was poked fun of by a friend lol, who i guess noticed. dunno why i don't level... but don't care, cause i'm just doin shit i wanna do and having fun and not thinking about it. although late last night i did finally do something right and got to level 2. ;)

damn the game freeze/lockups to hell though! i've had around 5 already.

xbox 360 version.

p.s. despite the lockups, this is easily my GOTY so far and definitely see a place in my top 10 list of alltime if this awesomeness keeps up.! :D

newsguy

Well, the impatience bug bit me and once again I realize why I don't play these games. I have about 4-5 active quests and have no idea how to complete 1 of them, WTF. For example:

the quest in Bruma where there is a dead man in a house (who was killed by the vampire hunter) and there are 2 guards and his wife sitting in the house. I can't check him or I go to jail, the wife won't talk to me, and the guards say I have to be the guy who killed him or another guard to be allowed at the scene. I've done everything, even stole Bruma guard attire and NOTHING. This is just one of the 5 quests that I'm stuck on

rod

Banned
shpankey said:
loving the game, although it's locking up quite a bit. i played a whole day and didn't level past 1 and incidentally was poked fun of by a friend lol, who i guess noticed. dunno why i don't level... but don't care, cause i'm just doin shit i wanna do and having fun and not thinking about it. although late last night i did finally do something right and got to level 2. ;)

damn the game freeze/lockups to hell though! i've had around 5 already.

xbox 360 version.

p.s. despite the lockups, this is easily my GOTY so far and definitely see a place in my top 10 list of alltime if this awesomeness keeps up.! :D

i found the leveling up a bit confusing at first but i hope this helps.

you have 7 main stats (aswell as a bunch of other minor stats but they dont matter in levelling up really), your main stats will be different from other peoples. so suppose some of your main stats are heavy armour, blade, and sneak. out of the 7. for heavy armour to go up a level you just get hit by enemies. eventually it will say heavy armour level up. for blade, hit enemies with a sword. for sneak, sneak around not being caught. try to level up your other main stats too. now below all ytour stats you will have a "main" level up bar, when you get the main stats levelled up a few times this bar goes up. and when that bar is full, from levelling up your main stats, the game will say "its time to rest up to go over what youve learnt" or something similar. find a bed (any bed) and sleep, when you wake up you will level up:)

hope that helps

slayn

newsguy said:
Well, the impatience bug bit me and once again I realize why I don't play these games. I have about 4-5 active quests and have no idea how to complete 1 of them, WTF. For example:

the quest in Bruma where there is a dead man in a house (who was killed by the vampire hunter) and there are 2 guards and his wife sitting in the house. I can't check him or I go to jail, the wife won't talk to me, and the guards say I have to be the guy who killed him or another guard to be allowed at the scene. I've done everything, even stole Bruma guard attire and NOTHING. This is just one of the 5 quests that I'm stuck on

generally, if a dialog option is still in yellow/gold or whatever that color is, it means they have more to tell you. Usually they aren't telling you because they don't like you enough. If you charm them with a spell, or play that wheel of conversation mini game with them to get their disposition much higher, then they will tell you more about what is going on and what you need to do.

newsguy

slayn said:
generally, if a dialog option is still in yellow/gold or whatever that color is, it means they have more to tell you. Usually they aren't telling you because they don't like you enough. If you charm them with a spell, or play that wheel of conversation mini game with them to get their disposition much higher, then they will tell you more about what is going on and what you need to do.

Ah I see. I'll try that but as of now I've exhausted all of the speaking options with the guards.

"How do u recover damaged stats? (ie red agility) can't use the alter of nine since I'm a murderer (brotherhood) ..."

Buy/make/find restore stat potions.

Teknopathetic said:
"How do u recover damaged stats? (ie red agility) can't use the alter of nine since I'm a murderer (brotherhood) ..."

Buy/make/find restore stat potions.

i made myself a agility restore potion didn't work. As far as I'm aware I don't have an minus stats items (excluding my scales but thats -2 personality)

Waku

newsguy said:
Ah I see. I'll try that but as of now I've exhausted all of the speaking options with the guards.

Talk to the Inn Keeper in Bruma. If you have enought Info allready or maybe just if he likes you enough he will let you into the Room of the real Killer, with a Manifest of his doings hidden in there. Just to get you going, but as allready said, charm them and talk through all points.

GreekWolf

Just completed the Pale Pass quest that you get from the Countess in Bruma. By far my favorite ( and most difficult ) quest of the game. About halfway through, you start feeling like Indiana Jones, tracking down
all the different landmarks, while trying to interpret the ancient Akaviri diary.

The Serpent's Trail is dark, spooky and TOUGH AS HELL for a level 20 character. Those mountain ogres just keep coming at you in waves and they really pack a wallop.
It seemed like I was constantly backpeddling, trying to find enough room to melee without taking too many punches.

Once you get to the Pale Pass, you have another round of Ogres to slug your way through, all the way down the hidden valley ( that doesn't show up on the map ). The lost outpost is littered with undead Akaviri soldiers, and I found myself trying to fight two or three at a time, while doing my best to keep from setting off traps. Once you finally get to the Akaviri commander ( unique creature... looks different from anything else in the game ), you actually have a choice - give him his orders ( taken from the remains of the dead scout in the Serpent's Trail ), or demand the artifact and fight him to the death.

In all, the entire quest took me about 3 hours to complete. Epic and complex... just the way I like em. :)

Waku

AND IT'S JUST A SIDE QUEST!!!!

God, the more I play it the more I love it. I just can't see myself going back to the Main Quest in the forseable Future. :D

Things just seem to happen to you when you're out exploring or wandering around a City, or looking for Ingredientes, or hunting for pelt and, and, and.^^

I'm on my 7th day and I haven't got further than visiting the ex bodyguard monk in the main quest.

Btw when I went to buy my copy my local GAME was sold out of both PC versions. This has never happened to me before ever, selling like hot cakes

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
KarishBHR said:
Im in the cult place, they took all my stuff and now I have to steal the book.

EVERYTIME I DO I get raped... wtf should I do?

Well, if your absolutly stuck you have a couple options

1- Reload a save before hand, build up some of the non major skills you might use
2- Turn the difficulty down temporarly. It's not like its permenant, just turn it back up after that segment.
3- Just keep trying

Waku

KarishBHR said:
Im in the cult place, they took all my stuff and now I have to steal the book.

EVERYTIME I DO I get raped... wtf should I do?

Wait till everybody leaves the place, the only guys left should be the one who took your stuff and a Guard hiding behind the Statue. Let the Book be and go full force against the Guy with your stuff. Loot, Equip, kick the Guards ass, steal book, fight your way out, Profit.

At least, that's what I did.

3rdman

Waku said:
AND IT'S JUST A SIDE QUEST!!!!

God, the more I play it the more I love it. I just can't see myself going back to the Main Quest in the forseable Future. :D

Things just seem to happen to you when you're out exploring or wandering around a City, or looking for Ingredientes, or hunting for pelt and, and, and.^^

Yep! GOTY easily....my biggest gripes with Morrowind were all alieved. The thought that the devs would be able to create such a huge world to also be "alive" really took me by surprise.

alkaline black said:
So my girlfriend says to me she says, "It's impossible to make an attractive looking female character in this game."

I was inclined to agree, until I finally sat down and took the creation system seriously.

oblivion_janissary.jpg

Mission accomplished? :X The shot is from the 360 version and my camera.

I started over for my third (!) time with this character too. I finally know how I want to play this game and in only a few hours, I've completely caught up with myself. Yay!

I remembered this post and I finally sat down this morning and tried to make a decent looking female character for myself. I never realized how hard it was. I couldn't even come close to making one looking as good as yours. All of mine looked like they had Downs Syndrome.

Maybe my subconscious is trying to tell me something.

I had a great, unexpected experience last night, while prowling around a castle doing one of the thieves guild quests. I snuck inside the castle, being careful not to be seen, and I was looking around for a certain item, not really sure exactly where I am suppose to go. I crept down a dark hallway, watching out for a guard I'd seen on patrol, and timing my moves to his, until I reach a far doorway. Just as I'm about to open the door, a figure appears beside me. It's a Kajiit, dressed in a black cloak, and I forget his name, but it was something like Kitty the Pickpocket. It seems that I wasn't the only thief in the castle that night!

He quickly cast an invisitiblity spell on himself and proceeds to attack me. Now, I know the guard is about to return on his patrol and I'm more afraid of him than I am of the thief, so I turn and run back down the hall, with the Kajiit in hot pursuit. I manage to get ahead of him, just as the guard rounds the corner and sees the other thief. The guard yells out about him not suppose to be there, the Kajiit casts another invisitiblity spell, and turns to flee, the guard in pursuit. I slip past the guard into another area, as I hear a pitched battle breaking out. Meanwhile, I went on to find the time I'm looking for and got the hell out of there while I could. :)

shpankey

not an idiot
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I had a great, unexpected experience last night, while prowling around a castle doing one of the thieves guild quests. I snuck inside the castle, being careful not to be seen, and I was looking around for a certain item, not really sure exactly where I am suppose to go. I crept down a dark hallway, watching out for a guard I'd seen on patrol, and timing my moves to his, until I reach a far doorway. Just as I'm about to open the door, a figure appears beside me. It's a Kajiit, dressed in a black cloak, and I forget his name, but it was something like Kitty the Pickpocket. It seems that I wasn't the only thief in the castle that night!

He quickly cast an invisitiblity spell on himself and proceeds to attack me. Now, I know the guard is about to return on his patrol and I'm more afraid of him than I am of the thief, so I turn and run back down the hall, with the Kajiit in hot pursuit. I manage to get ahead of him, just as the guard rounds the corner and sees the other thief. The guard yells out about him not suppose to be there, the Kajiit casts another invisitiblity spell, and turns to flee, the guard in pursuit. I slip past the guard into another area, as I hear a pitched battle breaking out. Meanwhile, I went on to find the time I'm looking for and got the hell out of there while I could. :)
that's funny... woulda been hilarious if he tried to give you up for his own safety though. :lol like when he was in a fight: "I know of another thief in the castle, I can take you to him! I seen him!" :)

shpankey said:
that's funny... woulda been hilarious if he tried to give you up for his own safety though. :lol like when he was in a fight: "I know of another thief in the castle, I can take you to him! I seen him!" :)

:lol The way this game plays, I wouldn't put it past the NPC's! :lol

GreekWolf said:
Just completed the Pale Pass quest that you get from the Countess in Bruma. By far my favorite ( and most difficult ) quest of the game. About halfway through, you start feeling like Indiana Jones, tracking down
all the different landmarks, while trying to interpret the ancient Akaviri diary.

The Serpent's Trail is dark, spooky and TOUGH AS HELL for a level 20 character. Those mountain ogres just keep coming at you in waves and they really pack a wallop.
It seemed like I was constantly backpeddling, trying to find enough room to melee without taking too many punches.

Once you get to the Pale Pass, you have another round of Ogres to slug your way through, all the way down the hidden valley ( that doesn't show up on the map ). The lost outpost is littered with undead Akaviri soldiers, and I found myself trying to fight two or three at a time, while doing my best to keep from setting off traps. Once you finally get to the Akaviri commander ( unique creature... looks different from anything else in the game ), you actually have a choice - give him his orders ( taken from the remains of the dead scout in the Serpent's Trail ), or demand the artifact and fight him to the death.

In all, the entire quest took me about 3 hours to complete. Epic and complex... just the way I like em. :)

Haha I just did that quest. The ogres inside the cave were easy as hell for my sneak archer, multiple bow ambushes rape their faces. I actually had to fall back on my good ol strat of fucking run and heal yo ass as I got near the exit to Serpent's Trail. Which brings me to my question and reason I'm posting:

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU KILL A WILL O WISP?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Son of Godzilla said:
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU KILL A WILL O WISP?

Stick and move, man, stick and move. the wisps absorb your health when they get close, but they stop for a second after the attempt. If you just stay in melee range all the time they'll always be at or near 100% health, so dodge their attack, hit them 2-3 times, then back off and repeat. Of course, don't use a mundane weapon, or alternatively use magic attacks.

MrPing1000 said:
i made myself a agility restore potion didn't work. As far as I'm aware I don't have an minus stats items (excluding my scales but thats -2 personality)

Go to the rightmost screen in the magic menu. It lists all effects on you. Find what is draining your stats, and use whatever to get over it. I'm not 100% sure about this but Restore potions only work on magic drains, not poisons/disease/whatever.

slayn

MrPing1000 said:

If you go to the magic page in your journal and click on the right most tab you can see exactly what is effecting all your stats and abilities and to what amount.

GreekWolf said:

I did that quest just last night myself. Was great. I was level 12 though and it was really easy because I mostly use the bow and all the enemies in this quest have a slow movement rate compared to me.

For the skeletons, I used those gates that are littered throughout the dungeon. Get a bunch to chase after you, then close a gate between you and them and just just keep running into the gate while you can blast them with arrows or magic =)

When you use magic items on ghosts and shit, does only the magic dmg go through? Or does being enchanted with magic let the whole thing slip through? I can't fathom killing one of these fucks with my dinky +5 frost arrows if they only do 5 dmg.

Whoever was complaining earlier in the thread about the scaling balance was right on. For the hell of it I started a new character, went straight to the Arena, and became Grand Champion without even coming close to being killed. I can't even kill a guard at level 1 but I can become Grand Champion of the Arena?

I don't get why the level scaling was an all-or-nothing thing? They couldn't just have monsters/bandits/random enemies scale, and have things like the arena made to be a certain level of difficulty?

Top Bottom