• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ocelittle said:
This vampirism thing is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a game, I can't proceed until I get cured...fuck that.

Can't you feed to keep the locals from knowing you are a vampire?

Edit: See Steve's post above, Vlad the Hungry.

I got two soul gems last night in Umbra's lair. Sadly, no ring of nighteyes though. They were not Grand Soul gems however. I believe one was average and one was greater.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Soul gems? Rob the Mystic Emporium and other stuff...unless stolen goods dont count. You could always sell it to your fence and buy it back if you're super desperate.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ocelittle said:
I've fed before...didn't know that would make people think I was normal...

Well that makes it a bit more tolerable, I suppose.

The longer you go without feeding, the more hideous, detestable, and powerful you become. It's reverse logic when it comes to traditional vampire tales.

3rdman

ocelittle said:

Also, if you don't feed, you will get some special kind of vampire powers...also I believe your charm will go through the roof eventually so those who hate you now won't be able to resist you later. :p

belgurdo said:
How can you boost armorer quickly?

Fight A LOT. Repair armor and weapons after every fight. It will skyrocket.

As to vampirism, it is annoying, but you can feed on sleeping people to "reset" it to where it isn't so bad. I suggest guilds or
Cloud Ruler Temple
. I have more than 4 grand soul gems... but I've been doing nothing but dungeon crawling.

GreekWolf

Just picked up the strategy guide. Not only is it a life-safer ( detailed walkthroughs for every quest ) but it's also as big as an encyclopedia. :lol

According to the guide, only 5 creatures in the game will continue to level up with you, after a certain point.

They are -
Dremora Valkynaz ( the Daedra Princes ), Gloom Wraith, Lich, Minotaur Lord and the Xivilai. These are the biggest of all the baddies, and it's highly unlikely you will come across your first one until you're in the mid-to-late 20's.

The other mobs will level a few times and then come to a halt. I tested this theory last night with my 18 myrmidon, and noticed that I could now easily melee kill a timberwolf, which gave me big-time problems back when I was level 11.

I agree, the strategy guide is a great asset. It's helped me plan the path I want to take with my character (Thieves Guild, then Dark Brotherhood) and I've used it to get my bearings a few times. If you're curious about more in depth info on the game, I definitely reccomend picking it up.

IJoel

GreekWolf said:
Just picked up the strategy guide. Not only is it a life-safer ( detailed walkthroughs for every quest ) but it's also as big as an encyclopedia. :lol

According to the guide, only 5 creatures in the game will continue to level up with you, after a certain point.

They are -
Dremora Valkynaz ( the Daedra Princes ), Gloom Wraith, Lich, Minotaur Lord and the Xivilai. These are the biggest of all the baddies, and it's highly unlikely you will come across your first one until you're in the mid-to-late 20's.

The other mobs will level a few times and then come to a halt. I tested this theory last night with my 18 myrmidon, and noticed that I could now easily melee kill a timberwolf, which gave me big-time problems back when I was level 11.

I can definitely reaffirm this based on what I've played. The first 3 in that list are the worst of the bunch, specially the first and third since they can and WILL summon baddies and also have magic resistances (
Gloom Wraiths resist cold... those bastards!
.) Encountering 3
Dremora Valkynaz
at once was really hard a couple of nights ago as I was closing a gate.

RegularMK

Anybody know what's up with
the Dark Fissure Mage Guild quest? Its the one where you go to this altar underneath this ray of purple light. I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do after I get there.

edit: nevermind, I just figured it out.

kaizoku

I wish there was some way to do a quick exit for dungeons, going though one then running back out, or stopping half way to sell your loot gets annoying when you have to run all the way back. currently doing Fort Urasek - anything cool encountered here?

Waku

ocelittle said:

The Vampirism thing brought my Game to new Hights. :lol

At first I was also pretty anoyed by the whole thing but since learned to deal with it and combine my feeding with stealing runs. The stupid Pirate Bitch got so much on my nerves that I finaly just jump on her boat.

WHAT YOU GONNA DO NOW HUH?!

Well she and her two buddies decieded to slice me up for good. Bad for them that a Guard was just walking by killing them for me. So now i'm a Vampire Pirate with a Place to sleep during the day if needed which also made the Vampirism thing more tolerable, escpecialy with one Homless just sleeping around the corner with nobody to see me. Can't start the night without a good Breakfast.

So i pretty much embraced my Vampirehood but the killer thing was just a few Minutes ago when i was staking out the Guard Captain to steal back the Tax Money of the Waterfront Inhabitants, when a woman came up to me and invited me to the Home of some guy. Suprisingly they have an amateur Vampire Hunting Circle down in their cellar and now want ME to go out and Hunt those despicable Vampires. :lol

Oblivion became my personal Blade: Pirate Vampire Hunter Simulator. :lol :lol

blade7id.jpg

Thank you Bethesda. <3

Wolffen

3rdman said:
I have a question....how can I build my conjuration skill? I can't buy any spells from the school of conjuration that doesn't tell me that either I don't have enough majica or I need to be at level 25.

My charecter is at lvl 23 and my other stats are well over 25...

Didn't see if anyone gave you a specific answer; I used Bound Boots, I think. Purchased from one of the Mages Guild (Chorrol?). There are some lower level "Bound X" spells that you should be able to cast unless you have a pitiful amount of magika.

Unison

rod said:
also i found a ninroot plants...apparently rare, what do i do with it, if anything?

Take it to an alchemist (any one) and ask about it. You will get further instructions from there.

GreekWolf

rod said:
does anyone else play this game as a saint? as in never steals, never kills, never puts a foot wrong?
My character is somewhat like that. He's an independent crusader... not aligning with any faction in particular, but follows a strict code of ethics ( never commits a crime, on good terms with all the gods, always helping others in need ).

However, I do pick locks and loot dungeons without remorse. :)

rod

Banned
GreekWolf said:
My character is somewhat like that. He's an independent crusader... not aligning with any faction in particular, but follows a strict code of ethics ( never commits a crime, on good terms with all the gods, always helping others in need ).

However, I do pick locks and loot dungeons without remorse. :)

thats pretty much my dude:) i dont care for the fightings guilds or mages guilds code of ethics or beliefs, i just do it for the cash and skillz:D

Pimpbaa

SteveMeister, are there any plans to fix the bug with beards turning your body to an odd color? Seems like it was intended that a blue'ish tint was beard stubble, but it applies it all over your body not just your face. The characters face stays fine, just the color of the skin goes outta whack for the neck and below.

Can the guy who made that lovely lady please post an approximation of the settings used? I'm trying to create an alternate character to try out some stuff but I want her to be beautiful, and it just doesn't work. Whatever I do, I end up with an ugly chick with a monobrow...

Fusebox

Banned
I saw my first will--o-wisps last night and crapped myself because of how everyone here was saying they were hard.

Well the first one I dropped with about 3 ranged fire spells and a close-up frost spell and I was wondering what the fuss was about, but then the 2nd one I could only take to about 10% health with the same barrage and then the moment I stop casting spells its health would regenerate.

I had to get on my horse and bolt away from it. :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just beat the game!
Martin is such a hero. SUX 2 be him tho!! I didn't get the armor. They said HAVE THE ARMOR but it's not in my inventory.

RegularMK

thorns said:
I joined the Dark Brotherhood but I didn't get the guild key for some reason? Can that be a problem in the future?

I didn't get mine either... haven't done many of their quests so I haven't seen if its a problem yet. Seems like the only place that uses it is the well enterance.

thorns

Banned
RegularMK said:
I didn't get mine either... haven't done many of their quests so I haven't seen if its a problem yet. Seems like the only place that uses it is the well enterance.

Ah, thanks. Thought maybe it was a bug and in another sanctuary I would be screwed if I didn't have the key.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
thorns said:
I joined the Dark Brotherhood but I didn't get the guild key for some reason? Can that be a problem in the future?

The key is the answer to the riddle that the Dark Door asks you the first time you try to enter. After that, you can get in no problem. And you'll get the key to the well entrance after you advance far enough.

kaizoku

Waku said:
So i pretty much embraced my Vampirehood but the killer thing was just a few Minutes ago when i was staking out the Guard Captain to steal back the Tax Money of the Waterfront Inhabitants, when a woman came up to me and invited me to the Home of some guy. Suprisingly they have an amateur Vampire Hunting Circle down in their cellar and now want ME to go out and Hunt those despicable Vampires. :lol

I'm actually doing this very quest right now, I have a mini-vampire phobia so its freaking me out :\ She actually approached me during the same quest too. and I adopted the pirate ship as my home. WTF man! You're like a vamp version of me.

possible spoiler for the vampire hunting quest (order of virtuous blood)
its kinda obvious (and cool) re: the vampire hunting quest that the guys who hired you seem kind of vampirish themselves. While Seridur was talkin to me I looked at his face and thought "This guy is a vampire and I'm stood in his basement surrounded by his friends? Holy shit I'm doomed!" then he says "vampires are deceitful and cunning etc" - oh how true.

ocelittle

Banned
I don't get it, I am on the quest to get those frozen tears and I went into that little thing and killed that big frozen monster...and I see the dude that has the frozen tears, but other than that there is no arrow for me to follow, and nothing to get from him...

what the eff do I do next?

RegularMK

Is anyone noticing one of the mage guild quests is screwy? I'm supposed to go retrieve some guy "south of imperial city" and if I follow the curser to him, it has me going in circles through the city. I know i'm not just following him because the curser doesn't move.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Just beat the game!
Martin is such a hero. SUX 2 be him tho!! I didn't get the armor. They said HAVE THE ARMOR but it's not in my inventory.

You have to wait TWO in-game weeks first. Then, go to the imperial armory.

pestul

I love the people you can have killed without having an impact on your character (guard kills). :lol

My Fiancee ran her character across the bow of the ship on the waterfront, made her way to the beach and ran around to the right back towards the warf. By the time she got back to the main warf the entire crew was slaughtered by one uber blade/archer guard. The ship is now hers essentially.

I've noticed that when my Fiancee plays, she does a lot of Mercantile. This game is somewhat 'girl friendly'.

Wolffen

ocelittle said:
I don't get it, I am on the quest to get those frozen tears and I went into that little thing and killed that big frozen monster...and I see the dude that has the frozen tears, but other than that there is no arrow for me to follow, and nothing to get from him...

Look around for five tears in the area that does you damage; First one might be near the knight, on a rock. The tears are small, spoon shaped, and silvery-gray. You have to keep wandering around the area to find them, just watch your health as the frost will do you damage. I had the same problem and wandered around for 30 minutes in that center area before I finally saw my first one. I feel sorry for people playing on anything smaller than a 32" TV.

What is the deal with enchanting weapons/armor? Can I simply pay to have whatever I want done, done? Or is it better to actually complete the mage questline (already have) and use the infinite chest? I really know nothing about alchemy and enchantment and any tips would be most welcome.

belgurdo

Banned
SteveMeister said:
Also grab the armor of the folks you kill and repair that :)

:O I never thought of that.

I'm wearing almost totally enchanted stuff, which is why I haven't been able to level up armorer in a while. And I was just going to make a spell for it too...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Here's a thing I noticed about buying stuff from guilds:

If you go to a mage guild to buy spells/alchemy/whatever, sometimes the people will be inside the guild and you can talk to them but there is no "buy spell" or "barter" icon on them. I think the AI may think they're outside of the guild for some reason, or eating lunch or something.

A good rule of thumb is to go into a mage guild around 9-10am then wait an hour. Then they should all sell stuff again.

tegdf

how do you buy the shack thats for sale at the imperial waterfront? and can the items you put in your house be stolen?

gblues

Banned
ocelittle said:

The tears you need are laying around on the ground. There's 5 of them. Three are in the snowy area (where you take the frost damage if you stick around) and 2 are up on the boulder where the knight and frost daedra are frozen. You don't actually do anything with the frozen guys.

If you are getting eaten alive by the frost damage, go back to S'rathra (the guy who asked for the frozen tears) and he'll give you 5 frostward potions for free. Plenty to get the job done.

Nathan

Top Bottom