• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Speevy said:
It's probably the same logic that applies to hitting someone inside their house, then they run toward a guard, who runs toward you. It's either a glitch or you stole earlier.

Weird. I've never intentionally stolen anything from them. I haven't even been to a mage guild in hours...

I'm innocent, damnit!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Speevy said:
Holy crap! You've spent more than 4 out of the 8 days since this game was released playing.

Shh, just saying it made me feel bad enough.

In a dirty, oh so good way.

And, keep in mind that's just what the game says. I'd wager another 5 or so worth of lost time from freezes, then another few because for my first 8 hours or so my difficulty meter was like 3/4 full (little did I know my 360 defaults of having action games be on hard would affect it, I thought I my guy just sucked ass when the 2 rats were kicking my ass, hard).

Speevy said:
Holy crap! You've spent more than 4 out of the 8 days since this game was released playing.

Like I said, I've spoken to him like 20 minutes tops since the game came out. Factor in 8hrs sleep per day and you have accounted for most of the non-gaming hours. :lol

syllogism

SnakeXs said:
As I said, it does exactly what they claimed. I could care less about outside party hype and hyperbole, but they said it does what it does, and it does it.

I can't say that's what you imagined or not, perhaps you had some idea of a paradise world where it was some true AI recreation of the human mind, but show me 1 thing that they claimed it did or advertised it as, that it doesn't do.

It delivered exactly what I expected, but it seems most people have been disappointed in the AI (especially combat AI is pretty weak). Arguing about expectations is pretty pointless, so I'm done.

Hawk269

I have been finding rings and stuff, but I am only level 5 at the moment. When you find a ring that has a benefit does it tell you that in the menu like the spells and potions? I wish I was farther into the game, but I have to work and am moving soon so I have been packing and stuff.

Anyways, like I said, I have been finding rings and a few other jewelry type items, but nothing in the decriptions says they do anything.

Thanks for the help...and WOW what a game!

Uncle

Hmm. I apparently disarmed one of the spectral seamen and it stopped moving. I even pickpocketed it's ectoplasm, and it's still wailing. Is this a bug or a feature?

Speevy

Banned
Hawk269 said:
I have been finding rings and stuff, but I am only level 5 at the moment. When you find a ring that has a benefit does it tell you that in the menu like the spells and potions? I wish I was farther into the game, but I have to work and am moving soon so I have been packing and stuff.

Anyways, like I said, I have been finding rings and a few other jewelry type items, but nothing in the decriptions says they do anything.

Thanks for the help...and WOW what a game!

Yes it does. That has been one of the primary complaints leveled at the game. There are thousands of different items in the game, and plenty of weapons and previously enchanted weapons, but you can't find them outside of caves, forts, and ruins. And even then, you'll only find the good stuff when you reach the higher levels. It's a generator that should (IMO) have been left out of the game.

Speevy

Banned
Uncle said:
Hmm. I apparently disarmed one of the spectral seamen and it stopped moving. I even pickpocketed it's ectoplasm, and it's still wailing. Is this a bug or a feature?

When you do something to one of these NPC's that's unexpected, you can probably expect a weird response. Just go with it.

uncdeez

Anyone have any quick/easy tips for leveling up the mercantile skill? I'd really like to get it to level 75 so I can start investing money into merchants but it's taking forever.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
uncdeez said:
Anyone have any quick/easy tips for leveling up the mercantile skill? I'd really like to get it to level 75 so I can start investing money into merchants but it's taking forever.

I've done a decent leveling job by making a ton of potions, haggling th em for gold or two, then selling my entire lot.

Rinse, repeat.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
True Story (tm): went close to a book, pressed LB to push it on the floor and two seconds after it had hit the ground a guard asked me if I wanted to go to jail or pay the fine... darn, they are order-nazi in there ;).

Did
Jauffre and Baurus die
for any one else during the
Great Oblivion Gate battle
? They did for me, and their
corpses
are still there. =(((

firex

It's really easy (though repetitive) to exploit Alteration/Restoration/Conjuration to power level those skills. I managed to get 100 Alteration at level 1... oh, and I agree that the scaling enemies is a bit of a problem. Though honestly, you can make up for it by power leveling enough skills to get +5 to the 3 stats you want to raise up for every level. I wish I'd done that instead of just going by the huge willpower gains I got from all that alteration/destruction/conjuration leveling. But it's kind of fun to have 100 willpower and a lot of intelligence/endurance at level 15. Just wish I'd leveled those stats up as much as willpower, so I'd have more health and magic.

Originally I made an Argonian marksman, but I didn't like it much... This new guy I made is a lot more fun (and already a lot higher level): A Breton, custom class that's basically a custom class based upon the Sorcerer.

firex

Destruction, hell, any combat skill (including armor and block) is easy to level up if you have Conjuration. Summon a skeleton and kill it with the weapon/spell of choice. In the case of armor skills, just hit it enough to piss it off (3 times, usually) and then stand there and take the weakass attacks it throws at you until it despawns.

pringles

Time played: 43 hrs
Race: Nord
Level: 25

I finally got cured from my vampirism, took me like 16 hours.. Of course I didn't solely focus on getting cured all that time, but still.
It's been a major pain in the ass.
Too bad my character looks like some kind of gorilla now. I thought he would go back to looking exactly like he did before getting sick, but NO. So much for all the time I spent making a decent looking face.. :(

I guess the unlimited money bug at the end of the quest is a bit of compensation though :)

After leaving the amulet to Jauffre I haven't done anyting on the mainquest, there's just so many other things that you get caught up in instead. 43hrs in I still have 3 cities left that I haven't visited, and I have barely done any guildquests. The amount of things to do is just INSANE.

Uncle

Help with the main quest please:

How do I close the gate near Anvil? I've visited the two small towers, but I can't reach the third. Is there a secret passageway or what?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Uncle said:

How do I close the gate near Anvil? I've visited the two small towers, but I can't reach the third. Is there a secret passageway or what?

Can't say I recall vivdly but is that the one where

when you open the gates, draw bridges extend and meet?

Uncle

SnakeXs said:
Can't say I recall vivdly but is that the one where

when you open the gates, draw bridges extend and meet?

Edit: nevermind, I found a door. Must have walked past it three or four times.

Easy(ish) Skill Level Ups:

Spell - Get to Arcane University, make self cast spell of whatever school with least magnitude and 1 sec duration. Spam like crazy, rest one hour after magicka bar runs out. Works with Destruction too. You will need to buy spells in the category you want to up though.

Offensive combat - Conjure a skeleton and wail on them. Might wish to use more durable conjures if you have them.

Defensive combat - Go to the very first sewer exit that you start game from. Find a mudcrab. Get your ass wailed on for a while, healing through it if you can. I believe armor skills can be leveled up while blocking, but am not certain.

Movement (Stealth, Acro, Athe) - For stealth find a stationary npc and fidget movement stick around while stealthed. Acro just spam jump. Athe you can either fidget around or to do it faster get a permanent breathe under water item and aqua fidget.

Others (Security, Mercantile, Speechcraft) - Play their respective mini-game and succeed then reset/fail and try again on same target. Security find a lock set easy or higher that you can do reliably (Wait for turn after the fast fall) and do everything but last one, then try again as needed. I know that works, but I'm not 100% sure on next two. For speech just do well on minigame then nuke your score and try again, and for Merc each time you sell something try to raise the haggle bar a notch.

Honestly I don't suggest trying to power level any skill unless you need a quick few points to get a better attribute bonus. It can be boring as hell, and it's one of the things that pissed me off about Morrowind. I'm really glad leveling is almost discouraged in this game.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Man how long does it take plants to respawn?

I found a goldmine of Redwort and Dragon Tounge plants, but I have sat there and waited for like a week and a half. Damn things need to grow so I can get back in the Mages guilde :(

Solo

My humorous Radiant AI story from last night. First off, I was about half way through the Arena circuit, but stopped a few days ago to do some more fun stuff. Namely, rise to the position of Listener in the Dark Brotherhood. At this point, I have my very own Murderer following me around. Cool. So I figure its time to become Arena Grand Champion. So I quick travel to the Arena. I had no bounty or anything, but apparently some will attack the Brotherhood on site. That little bugger at the door starts coming at me, but I just walk past him and enter the Bloodworks, figuring he'll just disappear. Down in the Bloodworks, I dont see him, so I proceed to have a fight or two or three. After those fights however, all hell breaks loose in the Bloodworks. The door guy appears, starts attacking my Murderer. Owyn and the others join in, so its like 5 on 1. Then a guard appears and joins in. My Murderer dies. But it does not end there. The 5 of them proceed to kill the guard! Then Owyn and the Prince start to fight eachother. Eventually, it ends with Owyn, the Prince, and the other 2 people down there all unconcious, the guard dead, my Murderer dead, and the door guy disappeared. I waited for 12 hours, and everyone came to, and I proceeded to become Grand Champion :lol

Uncle said:

That moment almost made me puke. It was about an hour until I found the FUCKING DOOR. Once you enter to oblivion, keep going all along the path that surrounds the big tower of the middle. The door is on the right side of the path once you've passed the second little tower on the left (Or maybe between the first and the second)

The problem is that the door is barely visible. What I did was looking at the map each 50m, so the door was marked on it. I got truly desperate and it was so damn easy... :\

MrPing1000 said:
is there any way I can buy a cure disease potion somewhere? Or am I gonna have to try finding the right alchemy ingredients

I see them at the alchemy shop in market district, and also at shady sam north of the stables.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Is there a way to
Get the amulet from that bitch in Bruma to give to the guy in jail without killing her?

Also, I don't feel like scouring this thread. Has anyone explained who exactly it is that sees you killing someone? It said unseen forces did when I murdered said ho above.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Thought I'd share another great AI moment. Last night I was doing the Dark Brotherhood mission where you have to hunt down the family members and I got to a point where my next target was the guy who runs and inn. Problem was, there was an imperial guard next to him that just would not leave. Finally, I went up to talk to the guy and chose "your mother bled like a pig". Guy goes nuts, starts attacking me, and the imperial soldier see this and kills him for me. :)

MrPing1000 said:
is there any way I can buy a cure disease potion somewhere? Or am I gonna have to try finding the right alchemy ingredients

Visit an altar (if you can). It cures everything and its free. You can't make a cure disease potion via alchemy until you are apprentice level iirc.

Dr_Cogent said:
Also, I don't feel like scouring this thread. Has anyone explained who exactly it is that sees you killing someone? It said that when I murdered said ho above.

If you mean the whole "forces unknown" thing... its most likely...
the Night Mother (who then goes on to tell the listener, who then tells Lachance to recruit you). You'll find out more about her/what she is when you finish the Dark Brotherhood quest line.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Dr_Cogent said:
Is there a way to
Get the amulet from that bitch in Bruma to give to the guy in jail without killing her?

Also, I don't feel like scouring this thread. Has anyone explained who exactly it is that sees you killing someone? It said unseen forces did when I murdered said ho above.

The 'unseen forces' is not the guards or anything like that. So you don't have to worry about being arrested. If you check your bounty (stats page, rightmost tab) and it did not go up then the guards were not alerted about this. You will only ever get the 'unseen forces' message once.

Further, I believe you can make a deal with her where she will give you her amulet and run away. I don't know how that affects the quest though, as I just chose to kill her =)

Baron Aloha said:
Thought I'd share another great AI moment. Last night I was doing the Dark Brotherhood mission where you have to hunt down the family members and I got to a point where my next target was the guy who runs and inn. Problem was, there was an imperial guard next to him that just would not leave. Finally, I went up to talk to the guy and chose "your mother bled like a pig". Guy goes nuts, starts attacking me, and the imperial soldier see this and kills him for me. :)

I killed both of them :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
slayn said:
The 'unseen forces' is not the guards or anything like that. So you don't have to worry about being arrested. If you check your bounty (stats page, rightmost tab) and it did not go up then the guards were not alerted about this. You will only ever get the 'unseen forces' message once.

Further, I believe you can make a deal with her where she will give you her amulet and run away. I don't know how that affects the quest though, as I just chose to kill her =)

Does killing her make my character more evil or something

slayn

Baron Aloha said:
I did that too.

For the mother, I waited to kill her last in hopes of being able to tell her all her children are dead and she was the one that told me where to find them but no go :(

but anyway, I stabbed her and she started running. Man she was fast. I had to run like a mile chasing her ass. The funny part though was that throughout this sprint she managed to pick up like 6 other persuers including a couple of bandits, an imperial guard, some wolves, and my horse. Eventually she got surrounded and everybody just wailed on her.

Once she lay dead, all the persuers sorta looked around at each other. A guard realized he was staring at a bandit. The wolves say they were staring at hunters. And my horse decided he didn't like anybody. I just sat back and they all slaughtered each other and my horse was the last one standing =)

slayn

Dr_Cogent said:

The only measure of 'evil' on your character that I am aware of is infamy, in the stats page.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Dr_Cogent said:

you can kill her without affecting your bounty / infamy at all. There's a discussion tree where at the very end she asks you if you want to do it her way or the guy in jail's way. If you choose the guy in jail you get into a battle and the guards won't put a bounty on you for killing her.

Solo

Help! RE: Garridor's Tears quest.
I have found him. How do I melt the ice covering him to get the tears? My Flare appears useless.

Oh, and one thing I would have liked Oblivion to have that it doesnt: a GTA style %ometer. Id really like to have a log of what % of quests I have done, etc.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Nerevar said:
you can kill her without affecting your bounty / infamy at all. There's a discussion tree where at the very end she asks you if you want to do it her way or the guy in jail's way. If you choose the guy in jail you get into a battle and the guards won't put a bounty on you for killing her.

:lol I didn't get that far. I attacked her while she was sleeping. I also immediately went to pay off the bounty on my head that I thought I would have at the Waterfront area near Imperial City - and it appeared that I didn't have one on my head. Maybe it will take some time.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Solo said:
Help! RE: Garridor's Tears quest.
I have found him. How do I melt the ice covering him to get the tears? My Flare appears useless.

Oh, and one thing I would have liked Oblivion to have that it doesnt: a GTA style %ometer. Id really like to have a log of what % of quests I have done, etc.

You don't. The tears are crystalline white tadpole-shaped things lying around on the ground. There are one or two near the statue, and the rest are in the ice field below.

Solo

SteveMeister said:
You don't. The tears are crystalline white tadpole-shaped things lying around on the ground. There are one or two near the statue, and the rest are in the ice field below.

Excellent, thanks!

Suikoguy said:
Yeah, the items in houses should scale like dungeons.

I disagree with this. Perhaps it should scale some in the castles and manor houses, but the average Joe citizen shouldn't have more loot just because you've gone up in levels. They're poor peasants for the most part, and their loot should reflect that. At higher levels, you don't want to raid one of their houses, you want to go for shops, castles, guilds, etc.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I disagree with this. Perhaps it should scale some in the castles and manor houses, but the average Joe citizen shouldn't have more loot just because you've gone up in levels. They're poor peasants for the most part, and their loot should reflect that. At higher levels, you don't want to raid one of their houses, you want to go for shops, castles, guilds, etc.

Why should the loot in dungeons scale then? And why should the weapons that joe citizen carries scale also? The scaling in general doesn't make sense in terms of "reality", and it really makes being a thief worthless at later levels.

slayn

knitoe said:
Where can I find a Blade: Master and Marksmen: Journeyman? Thanks in advance.

this is just a random guess, but in the small town (I'm at work and can't check the name) that begins with a B (not Bruma) the weapon shop there is an archer shop so the shopkeeper might be a marksmen trainer. Thats where I buy all my arrows but I've never tried/needed to train in marksmen.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I have a question. If I clean someones house out - will they ever replace their stuff? At least some of it? Or will they remain that way for the rest of the game?

slayn

Nerevar said:
Why should the loot in dungeons scale then? And why should the weapons that joe citizen carries scale also? The scaling in general doesn't make sense in terms of "reality", and it really makes being a thief worthless at later levels.

isn't the point of a thief at later levels not to steal from peasants and instead be sneaking around and sneak attacking enemies?

and one could argue that for the loot in dungeons, they aren't really scaling to you... all the loot was pre-generated and you just happened to always choose to explore the lower level dungeons first ;)

Top Bottom