• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

slayn said:
isn't the point of a thief at later levels not to steal from peasants and instead be sneaking around and sneak attacking enemies?

and one could argue that for the loot in dungeons, they aren't really scaling to you... all the loot was pre-generated and you just happened to always choose to explore the lower level dungeons first ;)

The point of the thief at later levels should be to steal from the richest, hardest to steal from people in the land. ;)

Nerevar said:
Why should the loot in dungeons scale then? And why should the weapons that joe citizen carries scale also? The scaling in general doesn't make sense in terms of "reality", and it really makes being a thief worthless at later levels.

The loot in dungeons scales to reward you for facing tougher enemies in said dungeon because they scaled (to an extent) so that you will continue to have a challenge. I have no problems with loot in dungeons scaling, as the creatures you are fighting in those places have gone up as well. Loot scaling in a peasants home is kind of silly though, and as I, and others, have said, at higher levels, you shouldn't be looting peasants anyway as a Thief. It's just not worth your time, at that's realistic. You should be going for the higher challenges of looting castles/guilds/shops and dungeons.

I do agree that weapons shouldn't be scaling for the peasants either. In fact, they shouldn't change much at all in reflection to your level.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
They probably should have made castle and shops and things harder to steal from in general. Just to add a progression there.

As is, I ignored peasants and the very first thing I did in the game after leaving the sewers was steal everything I wanted from the shops in the imperial market district. And neither sneak nor lockpick are one of my major skills.

Shops should probably have night guards, and it should be harder to steal objects if the person is in the same room as you.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
This may have been covered previously, but searching didn't find it:

How do I raise my Mercantile skill effectively?

It goes up on it's own, of course, when I haggle, but I'd like to spend some time just raising to Expert if I could, getting tired of losing money selling stuff to the person I've found in the game that has the most money (1200 septims on the arms dealer in Anvil).

One idea I had was to just raise the haggle meter by 1% increments and buy some trinket over and over, would this work? At work so I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Anyway, if someone has a faster way, do share....

LakeEarth

Son of Godzilla said:
Honestly I don't suggest trying to power level any skill unless you need a quick few points to get a better attribute bonus. It can be boring as hell, and it's one of the things that pissed me off about Morrowind. I'm really glad leveling is almost discouraged in this game.
I finally leveled up in the game and none of the improvements were more than +3. What specifically do you have to do to make each one +5? Cause before sleeping I leveled up my illusion and alteration, but both magic attributes I could improve were +2.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
I have a question. If I clean someones house out - will they ever replace their stuff? At least some of it? Or will they remain that way for the rest of the game?

Steve? Can you possibly answer this?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Dr_Cogent said:
Steve? Can you possibly answer this?

Well, I stole the Orc at Smash n' Slash's armor at the outset of the game, and more than 85 hours later he still tends to his shop almost naked. :D

slayn

LakeEarth said:
I finally leveled up in the game and none of the improvements were more than +3. What specifically do you have to do to make each one +5? Cause before sleeping I leveled up my illusion and alteration, but both magic attributes I could improve were +2.

The way leveling works:

Every time you level up your major skills by 10 times in any combination, you can level up.

For the multipliers, every time you level up any skill (major or minor) the multiplier for that skill goes up by .5 with a max of 5. So if you want to get +5 strength, you need to level up the skills tied to strength 10 times. There are 3 skills for every attribute except luck.

Note that if you have already filled your level up bar such that you could level up but have not yet slept, all skill ups roll over to the *next* level up. So after you fill your level up bar, you can't sit there casting spells expecting it to add to your current multiplier when you then go to sleep. They are counting toward the multiplier of your next level up. Once you get that message 'you should sleep to level up' your multipliers for when you do sleep are set and there is nothign you can do to change them.

mikeGFG

Banned
Big Nate said:
This may have been covered previously, but searching didn't find it:

How do I raise my Mercantile skill effectively?

It goes up on it's own, of course, when I haggle, but I'd like to spend some time just raising to Expert if I could, getting tired of losing money selling stuff to the person I've found in the game that has the most money (1200 septims on the arms dealer in Anvil).

One idea I had was to just raise the haggle meter by 1% increments and buy some trinket over and over, would this work? At work so I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Anyway, if someone has a faster way, do share....

I'm almost positive, that regardless of the haggling, your skill only increases per transaction.

So selling 200 arrows will have the same effect as selling 1 arrow. Also, the value of the item also means nothing.

Geoff9920

slayn said:
Note that if you have already filled your level up bar such that you could level up but have not yet slept, all skill ups roll over to the *next* level up. So after you fill your level up bar, you can't sit there casting spells expecting it to add to your current multiplier when you then go to sleep. They are counting toward the multiplier of your next level up. Once you get that message 'you should sleep to level up' your multipliers for when you do sleep are set and there is nothign you can do to change them.
Does this include minor skills?

Can anyone do me a favor? I'm getting stuck at the
Mythic Dawn Shrine
. The game is freezing on me. Could someone possibly get past a certain part for me (just talking to one person and letting the next part load) so I can continue on? I'll send you my save game file. I would greatly appreciate it. :D

slayn

Geoff9920 said:
Does this include minor skills?

I'm pretty sure, yes. I don't think there is any way to screw yourself out of skill leveling at the wrong time. Unless you are leveling skills that you already have a +5 modifier for on that level up.

jedimike

Wow... I just sorted the replies column and this thread is ranked #2 in GAF's current archive. A strong testament to the quality of the game. Of course, having a couple resident experts certainly helps.

If anyone's curious, RE4 is #1... with well over 5000 replies.

slayn

GreekWolf said:
I just found it!!

3 chests in all. One in the crumbled tower, directly to the left of the ruins. One about halfway up the trail, behind a huge rock that is right next to a crumbled stone wall. The last one called the forgotten chest, is located up high and to the right of the Serpent's Trail door ( if you were facing towards the door ).

I ended up having to use my nighteye ring to find the last chest, because all of the snow and fog was hard to see through.

The Wizard's ring is definitely worth it, definitely an "uber" item in the game. I won't spoil it for you, but it's sure as heck nicer than that stupid Dragonstone that the countess is slobbering over. :lol
I admit, I finally gave up and had to use your spoilers :(

The ring is pretty decent. I don't find it to be all *that* awesome though I shall definitely be using it for a while. It helps in that equipment can adds stats past their maximum. I currently have like 120 agility ^_^

knitoe

slayn said:
this is just a random guess, but in the small town (I'm at work and can't check the name) that begins with a B (not Bruma) the weapon shop there is an archer shop so the shopkeeper might be a marksmen trainer. Thats where I buy all my arrows but I've never tried/needed to train in marksmen.

Found the guy in Bravil, but even though he runs a archer shop, doesn't train bow or anything.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Well, I stole the Orc at Smash n' Slash's armor at the outset of the game, and more than 85 hours later he still tends to his shop almost naked. :D

That's pretty lame. They should slowly replenish their stuff over time. No one in real life would go on like that.

slayn

I *think* shops that I've stolen from have replenished some of their stuff. I have not paid very good attention though and I've not bothered to steal anythign in quite some time. It could be that the npc's have no AI need for clothing/armor unless something is actually attacking them.

I know that if an NPC thinks they are in danger, they will run to the weapon shop and buy a weapon. But they wouldn't do that just because they didn't have one.

SnakeXs said:
You should take all the clothing in the shop (including what remains on him) and leave behind a woman's dress. See if he puts it on.

SnakeXs

Benadryl Hitman said:
You should take all the clothing in the shop (including what remains on him) and leave behind a woman's dress. See if he puts it on.

God I hate you...

I keed, but I was just about to go into the last Oblivion Gate with the whole army, but now this greater mission has been bestowed upon me.
:lol

Get me the location of something funny for him to where, and Operation: Orc Tranny will commence.

jedimike said:
Wow... I just sorted the replies column and this thread is ranked #2 in GAF's current archive. A strong testament to the quality of the game. Of course, having a couple resident experts certainly helps.

If anyone's curious, RE4 is #1... with well over 5000 replies.

Well we'll have to do something about that now, won't we! :D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
In theory, if you put the clothes where it puts them when he goes to bed, he should put on something in that container, unless its coded to look for a particular piece of clothing.. it should work :D

SnakeXs

Suikoguy said:
In theory, if you put the clothes where it puts them when he goes to bed, he should put on something in that container, unless its coded to look for a particular piece of clothing.. it should work :D

me said:
Get me the location of something funny for him to where, and Operation: Orc Tranny will commence.

:)

Suikoguy said:
Wait, NPCs take their clothing off before bed? I never noticed.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
If they're wearing armor or carrying something like weapons or jewelry, yes.

Sorry.. that's right.
I just remember seeing the guards go to bed while I was hiding in a corner

Speevy said:
I made a definitive list of things this game does better than Morrowind and things Morrowind does better than this game. Yours may vary.

How Oblivion is superior to Morrowind

-Graphics that actually make you want to look at them
-Better-scripted quests and freelance quests
-Better main story
-Far more stable
-Better sound design (music and effects)
-Combat that's actually fun and not tedious
-Improved lockpicking
-Improved interface/menus
-Far fewer fetch quests, though they are still present
-Fast travel system if you are so inclined
-Poisons
-Radiant AI/character interactions
-Physics
-Horses
-More immediate payoff for home-buying system
-NPC's aren't merely clones, each has a specific role in society
-Much more difficult to break the game's stat system in your favor
-Forts, ruins, and caves have far better designs, complete with booby traps, underground lakes, and other things.
-NPC's can now enter doors both for combat and routine purposes

Things Morrowind does better than this game

-Sneaking into buildings/homes and stealing things is completely taken away by the game's item scaling system, which for some reason has no effect on towns. You can also find illogical bumps in the gear/weapons your adversaries are carrying, as glass, ebony, and daedric armor eventually becomes commonplace.
-Level scaling for enemies may irk people, as it punishes the player for leveling quickly
-Faction system is really dumbed down, no great houses or vampire clans for instance
-Need to complete several quests just to make spells/enchantments, Morrowind had fewer I think.
-More weapon types
-This may be a minus or a plus, but the merchant system is less realistic now because of the unlimited funds.

I think the end result of what has changed with Oblivion is that you feel less inclined to make dangerous journeys, and more inclined to take calculated risks, marvel at your surroundings, and complete freelance quests.

My verdict at this stage (35 hours in) is that Betheda designed a great game which has far less to do with the stat system they developed for Morrowind.

Nice summary, I can see a lot of your points. Sems like a fair list, but I won't comment until I've put at least 15 more hours in (I'm like 30 in at lvl 14, I think)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just got another bug. I have this ring that gives me +8 agility and 15% magic resist. Well, for some reason when I try to equip it now it says "You can't equip this enchanted item now". No matter when I try to put it on.

If I try to drop/sell it, it says "You can't drop/sell quest items". The thing is, it isn't a quest item, it was a quest reward.

So, I'm not wearing it, I can't get rid of it, and here's the kicker. On my effects screen, it tells me that I'm getting +8 agility and 15% magic resist from that ring, even though I'm not wearing it. I can still put on two other rings and the effects of the non-worn ring stay.

Also, I got to level 24 last night. I'm doing all main quest missions now. I've probably done about 6 of them so far. And man is it easy. Total cakewalk. I think the enemy scaling system breaks down after level 20. Unfortunately the game is getting kinda boring now.

FlyinJ: You seem to have more problems with this game than anyone. If it's not bugs/glitches, it's the game play itself. Now you've gotten to the point where it's boring and easy. :lol

Solo

Just finished the "Through A Nightmare Darkly" quest. Pretty cool little one, and a nice change of pace from the usual "go here, kill/steal that" stuff.

GrundlTerror said:
So what should I do with my arena equipment when I'm not using it? 70 lbs is a lot to carry around, is there public storage or anything?

Do you have 2000 in gold? If so you can by a slum house in the Waterfront district that you can store your crap in. Just go to the Imperial Commerce Office in the Market District and talk to them about buying it (you may have to raise his disposition up).

snatches

So I have compiled about 8 magic scrolls and I am hesitant to use them. Are these single use or do I just need to highlight them and press A to learn that spell? I don't want to waste them if they are single use and I figured most of you probably know the answer to this question...

IJoel

snatches said:
So I have compiled about 8 magic scrolls and I am hesitant to use them. Are these single use or do I just need to highlight them and press A to learn that spell? I don't want to waste them if they are single use and I figured most of you probably know the answer to this question...

Scrolls are single use.

snatches said:

Use 'em. They're a one time use but scrolls are a dime a dozen. They're all over the place.

snatches

IJoel said:
Scrolls are single use.

damn. where do I learn more spells? I'm a ES noob and this game rules but I have serious noob syndrome. Is it as simple as progressing through the mages guild quests and doing training? Or just simply by virtue of using a lot of magic and leveling?

Cahill

Banned
I think someone stole my damn horse last night.

I came outta town and there's a dude a little ways off w/ a torch that immediately hopped on a black horse and went flying off into the night. I though it was weird at first but then I couldn't find my horse around the stables. I'm like "WTF, was that MY horse?... no way!". Out of pure curiosity I reloaded (which I do not do in this game normally), walk out of town and see him there again. The ONLY horse near me was one of the patchy ones w/ a guard. I said screw it, hop on and figure I'm gonna give chase this time. I, of course have to resist the guard first only to realize that "Ol Betsy" here was a closer speed match for tha guard than she was for my 5K Stallion.

I looked around for a while to no avail, hopped off the horse and killed the guard that was still not all that far behind me.

Dammit. Now I have to get another horse and get rid of my bounty. If I ever find that bastard.... *shaking fist*

SnakeXs

GrundlTerror said:
So what should I do with my arena equipment when I'm not using it? 70 lbs is a lot to carry around, is there public storage or anything?

Drop it in the Bloodworks, put it in one of the little closet-y things, lose it, throw it in a well.

There's more down there. I always left mine in the corner, and it never went away.

snatches said:

Yes, they're one time use. You select them, and use it like a sppell, but then they go away. Don't get too hung up on them.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
snatches said:

Oblivion packrat. I have a couple dozen. I don't think I've ever used one, but I'm sure they are single use.

slayn

GrundlTerror said:

if you buy a house, then you have permanent storage. Thats the only way I know. There is also a mod out there where if you own a horse, you can store like up to 500lb of stuff in your horse's inventory.

IJoel

snatches said:
damn. where do I learn more spells? I'm a ES noob and this game rules but I have serious noob syndrome. Is it as simple as progressing through the mages guild quests and doing training? Or just simply by virtue of using a lot of magic and leveling?

Inside the different mage guild locations there are casters that specialize in the schools of magic and sell spells you can use. For instance, there's a Conjuration spell seller at the Chorrol Mage Guild location.

mikeGFG

Banned
SnakeXs said:
my difficulty meter was like 3/4 full (little did I know my 360 defaults of having action games be on hard would affect it, I thought I my guy just sucked ass when the 2 rats were kicking my ass, hard).

Hahah yes, same shit happened to me. I was wondering how some of the people on my friends list were blazing through the game so quickly.

But now that I'm level 25+, the game is getting a little too easy on default difficulty :/

GrundlTerror said:

You can store the armor in the room where you get your arena quests in the cabinet next to the woman who won't talk to you. There are also 5 heavy and 5 light outfits in there, which is great for people with lower armorer skills. Five outfits should be enough to get you through the arena.

FlyinJ said:
Also, I got to level 24 last night. I'm doing all main quest missions now. I've probably done about 6 of them so far. And man is it easy. Total cakewalk. I think the enemy scaling system breaks down after level 20. Unfortunately the game is getting kinda boring now.

I've never heard so much bitching in my life. Turn up the difficulty. Jesus....

snatches

IJoel said:
Inside the different mage guild locations there are casters that specialize in the schools of magic and sell spells you can use. For instance, there's a Conjuration spell seller at the Chorrol Mage Guild location.

You sir, are very helpful. I hate being a noob. Thanks.

Pellham

Banned
Benadryl Hitman said:

that would be funny, but I think every piece of clothing in the game has a gender switch (i.e. if you find a dress and put it on, it magically turns into pants).

Uncle

Pellham said:
that would be funny, but I think every piece of clothing in the game has a gender switch (i.e. if you find a dress and put it on, it magically turns into pants).

Yeah. I was a bit disappoined, because I couldn't make my lumberjack character work.

ocelittle

Banned
Someone in this thread told me where they found two Grand Soul Gems, I can not find that post anymore...argh...

I have already purchased two of them, and need two more to cure myself...anyone know where to get more?

Top Bottom