• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ocelittle said:
Someone in this thread told me where they found two Grand Soul Gems, I can not find that post anymore...argh...

I have already purchased two of them, and need two more to cure myself...anyone know where to get more?

i think there are some in display cases in the lobby of the arcane university. they're often in mages guilds generally. if you're a member of the mage's guild, it won't even be considered theft when you take them (though you may have to pick the locks sneakily).

gblues

Banned
Hahaha, I just found a game-breaking combat exploit:

This strategy takes advantage that NPCs can follow you through doors. However, as they fade in, they are vulnerable to attacks! So you get your aggro mob to chase you through a door, get a few cheap shots in, then go BACK through the door before they get an attack off, and repeat the whole thing again. It's cheap as hell, but it makes me feel more manly than moving the difficulty slider whenever I get trounced.

Nathan

Karg

I did a search through this thread and another site, does anyone know where (if its sold that is) I can buy the Chameleon spell?

I'm strongly considering starting the game over as a Mage or Battle Mage type character. I'm loving playing my thief though, so don't know if I'm ready to do it yet. The great thing about the Elder Scrolls games is that they play so differently based on the character type you want to play. Being a bad ass Mage has some appeal to me at the moment. :D

GrundlTerror said:
Can anyone do me a favor? I'm getting stuck at the Mythic Dawn Shrine. The game is freezing on me. Could someone possibly get past a certain part for me (just talking to one person and letting the next part load) so I can continue on? I'll send you my save game file. I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry to quote myself, but can anyone help me out with this? It's so annoying and I'm right at the part where I'm freezing so it would only take a minute or so. Or if anyone has any suggestions on things I can try to get past this, that would be awesome as well (game runs absolutely fine otherwise).

snaildog

Hate to bring down the discussion with tech talk, but if anyone could help it'd be appreciated. My system's about a year old: Athlon 64 2800+, 512 RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro. It runs Oblivion fairly well on the lowest settings (loading times and lags in combat a bit).

Is there a cheapish upgrade I could get that'd make significant difference? Looking at videocards it's quite costly just to get one that's better than the one I have now, and I'm not sure how much difference more RAM would make. Thanks!

Another 512mb of memory will probably help a bunch. That's about 30-40 bucks. You could also buy a 6800 AGP for around 150 and that would make a big improvement too.

Edit: Wait, do you have an AGP or PCI-E slot?

Pimpbaa

snaildog said:
Hate to bring down the discussion with tech talk, but if anyone could help it'd be appreciated. My system's about a year old: Athlon 64 2800+, 512 RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro. It runs Oblivion fairly well on the lowest settings (loading times and lags in combat a bit).

Is there a cheapish upgrade I could get that'd make significant difference? Looking at videocards it's quite costly just to get one that's better than the one I have now, and I'm not sure how much difference more RAM would make. Thanks!

Costly to get a better one? A geforce 6600GT is just a little over a hundred dollars. A geforce 7600GT is just under 200. Your video card is terribly outdated and by far the biggest bottleneck in performance for you in Oblivion.

Yea so I bought Oblivion, installed it and then realized my video card is too old

Damn GF4 ti4200!

So yea, I need a new card 200 or so Canadian

Or what is this oldblivion thing I have heard of, where can I get it

taku

BigJonsson said:
Yea so I bought Oblivion, installed it and then realized my video card is too old

Damn GF4 ti4200!

So yea, I need a new card 200 or so Canadian

Or what is this oldblivion thing I have heard of, where can I get it

BAM!

knitoe

Wierd, but removing ethernet cable / disconnecting from XBL seems to fix the crashing problems I been experiencing from time to time and game seems to load much faster now.

Bauer Action Hour said:
Anyone know where to buy a cheap "Reflect Magic" spell? Something that takes less than 150 MP to cast?

I searched the TES Construction Set and found out it's called Counterspell, it's journeyman level and costs 145 MP to cast, so it fits my parameters perfectly. The CS also shows that there are 2 users of the spell. I searched through the Mage Guild NPC's and couldn't find anyone that has it.

Can anyone help me find who has the spell for sale?

Ecrofirt

OK, maybe someone can give me a tip.

I found a mine right near the south gate of Chorral. I went in and killed everyone I could see, and I'm in a room now where there's a crack in the wall and I can see through to the other side where there appears to be a room. However, I can't go through this crack.

Anyone have any ideas? This is the mine where you get a Warhammer of Jinxing.

Ecrofirt

Speevy said:
Getting the
mage's staff
completely owns the arena.

BOOOM! *Argonians go flying through the air*

:D

Is that what it's specifically called? I got one from a king in a cave, but I sold it off.

Speevy

Banned
Ecrofirt said:
Is that what it's specifically called? I got one from a king in a cave, but I sold it off.

I'm talking about the
staff you get from killing the necromancer's in a mage's guild quest
Mine is called the
Mage's Staff of Shock or something. It's customizable, so you can do any type of destruction, mysticism, illusion, etc.

Ecrofirt

Speevy said:
I'm talking about the
staff you get from killing the necromancer's in a mage's guild quest
Mine is called the
Mage's Staff of Shock or something. It's customizable, so you can do any type of destruction, mysticism, illusion, etc.

Ah. I got some
dead king's staff from a place near Skingrad. Went in there on my own and whupped some ass.

StRaNgE

Banned
Ok, so i broke down and got it tonight.

I hear set up of charecter at beginning is very crucial so.

I have narrowed it down to

Khajitt
Breton
Dark Elf

is one outstanding over the others or am i missing something in one of the others.

Also any tips on set up after this point?
i hear to make stronger in magic then swords come in very handy.

thanx.

waiting for response so i can get busy exploring.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
StRaNgE said:

Khajitt
Breton
Dark Elf

is one outstanding over the others or am i missing something in one of the others.

thanx.

What type of character?

And, here's really no "bad" in the game. Any play style is, well, totally playable.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Where is the quest where you
enter the painting and fight things with turpentine?

I've been playing for quite a few hours now but I really want to try this one :)

jedimike

StRaNgE said:

Khajitt
Breton
Dark Elf

thanx.

Character creation doesn't have to be so crucial. The important thing is to have an idea of how you want to play and be true to that role so your major skills keep improving. Breton are a great class IMO. You are adept at light armor/strength/sword and you can excel at magic alteration and magic destruction. I think I picked Mage as my sign.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Willy Wanka said:
Where is the quest where you
enter the painting and fight things with turpentine?

I've been playing for quite a few hours now but I really want to try this one :)

I believe in
Cheydinhal.
You should be able to hear about it in the
Mage's Guild
, they'll talk about it with each other.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, what you'll often do is choose skills which sound cool, but you'll never use them. If you don't know what a spell does, try it out. For example, Detect Life is a very useful spell that I didn't even try in Morrowind.

dante786

Banned
The best blade ive been able to find so far is Umbra's sword, and it is incredibly sweet, but i was wonder where i could find some better swords, anyone have anything specific, i gotta believe there are even better blades in the game than this one.

knitoe

Wondering if it's my X360 w/ HDD or not. After disconnecting the ethernet wire, I have not crashed at all today. Load times are much faster. Also, when trying to do SAVE / LOAD, there's not a slight delay when moving up and down the list.

GreekWolf

dante786 said:
The best blade ive been able to find so far is Umbra's sword, and it is incredibly sweet, but i was wonder where i could find some better swords, anyone have anything specific, i gotta believe there are even better blades in the game than this one.
What are the stats on Umbra? I had that sucker back in Morrowind and used it almost exclusively, but haven't gotten around to picking it up in Oblivion.

Right now, I'm using a sweet 1 handed blade called the Honor of Chorral. It was part of the "Sins of the Father" quest you get in Chorral. I had to
clean out a cave full of Ogres and kill a high level Ogre Warlord
to get the sword. I'm supposed to return it to the Chorral Castle in order to complete the quest, but I just can't bring myself to do it. :D

knitoe

GreekWolf said:
What are the stats on Umbra? I had that sucker back in Morrowind and used it almost exclusively, but haven't gotten around to picking it up in Oblivion.

Right now, I'm using a sweet 1 handed blade called the Honor of Chorral. It was part of the "Sins of the Father" quest you get in Chorral. I had to
clean out a cave full of Ogres and kill a high level Ogre Warlord
to get the sword. I'm supposed to return it to the Chorral Castle in order to complete the quest, but I just can't bring myself to do it. :D

The stats of the sword will change base on your stats. When I 1st got it, it had 18 damage, and now, it's showing 25. Compare wise, Daebric Longsword is only 21. It's still the best weapon I had gotten for last 10 levels since I got it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
knitoe said:
Wondering if it's my X360 w/ HDD or not. After disconnecting the ethernet wire, I have not crashed at all today. Load times are much faster. Also, when trying to do SAVE / LOAD, there's not a slight delay when moving up and down the list.

You know, come to think about it.. since I moved my system to another room (without internet) there was no delay for save/load, and less loading issues too.

StRaNgE said:

Khajitt
Breton
Dark Elf

thanx.

If you plan on storming the Oblivion gates, the natural fire resistance of the Dark Elf will make your life much easier.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
StRaNgE said:

Khajitt
Breton
Dark Elf

thanx.

The only thing I would say is that, when it comes time to select your major skills, select ones that will help you in combat the most (unless you want a challenge). Realize that, as you level up your major skills, enemies will grow stronger. So if you make, say, lockpicking a major skill, then by picking locks, the enemies become stronger. Which, depending on how challenging you want the game to be, could be a very bad thing.

But that said, if you are good at the game at all, you can't really screw anythign up. I changed my mind pretty drastically around level 7 or so about what I wanted my character to be (I'm now focusing on bows, and previous I hadn't even considered using one) and I have had no problems making the change mid game.

found a pretty fun glitch tonight. used the hellride spell to give myself some super jumping ability in bruma, and made my way onto a house chimney and up up onto the inside edge of the city wall. after peppering the guards with arrows for a bit i hopped over the outside edge and made it down without dying. since i had basically made it back into the wilderness without loading, it didn't fill in any textures on the ground, just the grass and distant mountains. like giant invisible hills; pretty cool. i walked back up to bruma after a bit and the gates didn't load so i could see into the city from where they should have been. i had to hit A to get in though, which then properly loaded the outdoors, instead of sending me back into the city. fun times.

a crappy pic of the underneath of bruma:
breakingbruma7yp.jpg

a silly pic from earlier in my travels:
thehorseifoundinsidewayscave8m.jpg

the ID effect said:
Blah help! i need to find bears to get 20 bear pelts .... go figure why lol :( Anyone found bears in the game ... i haven't seen ONE yet

What level are you? I'm currently at 16 and I can't walk outside without a bear biting me in the ass.

the ID effect said:
level 6 ... i need to find bear pelts to get back in fighters guild :(

You may have to level up then. I can't remember what level I was when I first started to come across all these damn bears but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that low. Sorry.

Seth C

Soo..

I'm trying to fight Umbra. I've hit her with about 50 arrows. Any damage done, she immediately regenerates. What the hell am I supposed to do?

knitoe

Suikoguy said:
You know, come to think about it.. since I moved my system to another room (without internet) there was no delay for save/load, and less loading issues too.

Think w/o internet connection running and trying to communicate with XBL, there's more resources for game. I notice slight pauses with other games too. Like when, it's connecting in PGR3 & DOA 4.

knitoe

Seth C said:
Soo..

I'm trying to fight Umbra. I've hit her with about 50 arrows. Any damage done, she immediately regenerates. What the hell am I supposed to do?

What I did to lay the beat down on Umbra:
Go sword & shield. Let her try to hit you, block it, swing sword 2X (press attack 2X quickly), and then, press block right after. Just remember, after a clean block, you always have time to swing sword 2X before NPC can attack you again. This strategy has worked on everything I have fought to my current lvl 29. I use 3rd person view for this because it's easier to see them take a swing and where they are moving around to.

Seth C

knitoe said:
What I did to lay the beat down on Umbra:
Go sword & shield. Let her try to hit you, block it, swing sword 2X (press attack 2X quickly), and then, press block right after. Just remember, after a clean block, you always have time to swing sword 2X before NPC can attack you again. This strategy has worked on everything I have fought to my current lvl 29. I use 3rd person view for this because it's easier to see them take a swing and where they are moving around to.

Thanks for the help. I was able to get
Umbra. I got up on a pillar, grabbed a ow of harm, and pelted her about 50 times rapidly. I think my bow had 4 charges left when I finished her off...haha. Now, to return the sword, or keep it?

Seth C

So, the Clavicus Vile quest is bugged for me and I cannot complete it. If I
make peace with Umbra and go back to him
the game crashes. If I
kill her, get the sword, and take it back to him
the game crashes. Is this a known issue?

Seth C said:
Soo..

I asked this same question and no one answered me. *sniff*

Seth C

The Shadow said:
I asked this same question and no one answered me. *sniff*

Try what I did. Get an enchanted bow and some good arrows. Before choosing to fight her, hop up on the tomb looking thing in the back of the room, then up on to the ledge behind it. I was able to stay up there and pelt her to death.

Top Bottom