• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Mindman

According to their FAQ, they have no plans to do this.

Why in the hell not? It is seriously ruining the game for me that I have to hunch over my crappy computer desk using my crappy monitor to play this.

ESPECIALLY due to the fact that the entire interface was designed to be used with a controller!

ARGH so frustrating.

I used that third party Pinnacle app to "emulate" a controller, but the look around emulation is godawful. Pushing the stick in any diagonal direction causes the viewpoint to move extremely slowly. Using an emulator is just not an option.

I just don't understand... I mean, they have this game working on the XBone, right? Just put that controller code in the PC!

100% agree! Give us controller support please!!!

JackHerer

I'm getting this with the early access. I've never played an MMO before... I love TES though so I'm really hoping this is good. I just want to explore at first; the game sounds huge. Really don't know what to expect, but here goes.

Edit: Downloading now. I suck with kb/m and always prefer to use controllers when supported. Hopefully they patch it in soon. I don't see why they wouldn't considering it's also being developed for PS4 and XB1.

Somnia

Any word on bows being viable? Want to do a typical wood elf bow/stealth character but I don't want to put time into something that will suck.

Bows are very viable. My build is built around bow/dual wield with bow being my primary weapon. I am a Nightblade stealth/ganker, but very viable in PVE also.

If I sneak prior to engaging a mob in PVE I can usually 3 shot it with a combo depending on it's level and what kind of crit I get.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
sorry to ask again, but any healing or trinity in this? I usually play healers, and first person healing could be...interesting?

docbon

sorry to ask again, but any healing or trinity in this? I usually play healers, and first person healing could be...interesting?

Yeah, the trinity is still there. There's just some fluidity in the roles with the way the skill system is set up.

Somnia

Yes and Yes. There is tanking and healing, but it is an action combat system not your traditional tab targeting mmo. So you won't be standing still hitting your hotkeys, you will be moving around.

Any class can be built as a healer, siphon nightblade with restro staff, sorc with restro, etc. Templar's are the only class with a dedicated healing line to heal without a restro staff though.

Any class can tank also. I know a few Nightblade tanks who get good aggro due to siphoning along with 1h/shield. DK's can also be built as beastly tanks. I personally tanked in a weekend beta as a templar and was able to hold aggro on one mob, but it was hard to hold group aggro.

docbon

Day -3 and there's already some legit addons out.

A minimap that records gathering node locations that I've visited, and shows me where sky shards are? Yes please.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there enough low-level exposed in modding that someone could mod in real controller support with real analog free look, as opposed to this terrible mouse-emulation in Pinacle?

docbon

Here's what I'm using now:

ESOhead Markers- Allows me to record gathering locations. Displays Skyshards as well. (requires ESOhead)

ZRMinimap- for uh... a minimap.

Wykkyd's Outfitter - For one button gear swaps. (requires Wykkyd's Framework)

LootDrop - Displays whatever I autoloot from chests, on the UI.

Download the zip files and extract them to:

C:\Users\<you>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\Addons

edit: holy smokes, inventory grid view? time to get all the addons.

Vlodril

watching the quicklook is making me interested. is there healing or even the trinity in the game?

Sure i have a sorcerer. You can use the destruction staff tree (fire,ice,lighting) for dmg based skills or the restoration tree (that has heals). You can switch the skills and staffs in and out. Pretty handy and so far the healing is good (since i am playing with a friend).

Somnia

Impressions so far?

I am loving it, but I'm a bit biased probably as I've been playing it for quite awhile in the closed beta.

I'll just give impressions on launch. So far it's the smoothest MMO launch I've ever been apart of and I've been playing MMO's since Ultima Online Beta 4. Rift is right up there too in smoothness, actually I'd probably tie those two for smooth launches.

I've personally only had 1 bugged quest so far (the ghost conversation in Glenumbra). I know some people have had some other bugged quests early on, but so far it looks like they've fixed most of the bugged quest issues from weekend betas on my end and it sounds like from reading around the web it sounds like this is the case for 99% of the people.

Gameplay wise I love the character customization, there is so many possibilities in builds for characters with the skill systems and just from closed beta I've seen a lot of crazy ideas that work. I personally love the combat system of this game as it actually requires skill to be good in PVP, even in closed beta I could take out VR characters when I was only level 15 (buffed stat wise to 50) because of my skill/ability to play the game. So far in launch I have not lost in a 1v1 or 1v2, that may change as others learn the game more. I know some people don't like it and that's fair, but I love this combat system and think it has a lot of potential going forward.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I absolutely love the emphasis on exploration in this game. Coming from SW:TOR and WoW, it's just so refreshing to run around the world and randomly come upon fun quest chains, world bosses, and public dungeons and at so low a level (9) too! I love this game more everyday.

Hupsel

I am loving it, but I'm a bit biased probably as I've been playing it for quite awhile in the closed beta.

I'll just give impressions on launch. So far it's the smoothest MMO launch I've ever been apart of and I've been playing MMO's since Ultima Online Beta 4. Rift is right up there too in smoothness, actually I'd probably tie those two for smooth launches.

I've personally only had 1 bugged quest so far (the ghost conversation in Glenumbra). I know some people have had some other bugged quests early on, but so far it looks like they've fixed most of the bugged quest issues from weekend betas on my end and it sounds like from reading around the web it sounds like this is the case for 99% of the people.

Gameplay wise I love the character customization, there is so many possibilities in builds for characters with the skill systems and just from closed beta I've seen a lot of crazy ideas that work. I personally love the combat system of this game as it actually requires skill to be good in PVP, even in closed beta I could take out VR characters when I was only level 15 (buffed stat wise to 50) because of my skill/ability to play the game. So far in launch I have not lost in a 1v1 or 1v2, that may change as others learn the game more. I know some people don't like it and that's fair, but I love this combat system and think it has a lot of potential going forward.

Thanks! Was worried about PvP since I never played a mmo with action combat before, didnt know if it would work well.

docbon

Ahahaha, the bad man quest.

I rolled my eyes when I saw collect 2 apples, collect 2 grains for the quest step. Then shyamalanadingdong.

Calcium

Banned
It's really sad to see how much bad mouthing this game is getting when it doesn't really deserve it in my opinion. The game certainly has its problems, but I am enjoying the hell out of it so far. In most cases when I've encountered a bugged quest simply relogging fixed the problem for me. If Zenimax can put out solid content on a regular basis I will have no problem paying a subscription fee for this game.

Einbroch

Banned
Every hour that passes I'm liking this game more and more. PVE combat isn't the greatest (but certainly not bad), but what it lacks in combat it makes up for in everything else. Exploring is rewarding in and of itself. The skill system is nuts and could lead to some really unique character builds. The stories are more interesting than your standard fare. The graphics are nice (although nothing outstanding, except dat water).

I haven't even touched PVP which I heard is great. The shit this game got is very strange to me.

Oh, and the shard system for "servers" is a wonderful idea. I never feel alone.

Somnia

It's really sad to see how much bad mouthing this game is getting when it doesn't really deserve it in my opinion. The game certainly has its problems, but I am enjoying the hell out of it so far. In most cases when I've encountered a bugged quest simply relogging fixed the problem for me. If Zenimax can put out solid content on a regular basis I will have no problem paying a subscription fee for this game.

To be honest the bad mouthing has slown down big time and all of a sudden it's getting a lot of praise, shocker people actually put time into the game and they like it. Yes the beginning is very slow and I can see how some people may get turned off, but people who get out exploring and 8+ are really liking the game.

Speaking of that, if you don't like Glenumbra on the daggerfall side the next area, Stormhaven, is WAY better.

Yep, I don't get it. I'm loving the game so far. Couple of bugs, but nothing that is broken, restart and go on. I've almost caught up to where I was in the beta.

Rafterman

Banned
I absolutely love the emphasis on exploration in this game. Coming from SW:TOR and WoW, it's just so refreshing to run around the world and randomly come upon fun quest chains, world bosses, and public dungeons and at so low a level (9) too! I love this game more everyday.

Yep, I just did the Bad Man's Hallows public dungeon and quests and had a blast. There was this big ass
snake
down there that a few of us killed and had some interesting quests and storyline fun. The more I play this game the more interesting it becomes. It pushes all the right buttons in terms of what I like in an MMO, fun exploration, excellent character building, cool fights, rich story/lore, and interesting quests and characters. Hell, even the graphics at times are enough to make me stand around and just look at my surroundings.

I also ran across a Werewolf...can't wait until I can turn into one of those suckers!!!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
When you pick Daggerfall or the two other factions in character creation, does that determine your starting area?

Does that affect anything else in the game?

demonkaze

Have to echo what everyone else is saying, I really am loving this game. I've put a fair bit of time into it over the last two days and i'm only sitting at Lv 13, there's so much to see and find when you go out exploring!

I've been wanting to explore every part of the area i'm in and i'm always rewarded with finding new things. I also gave Cyrodil a little try and from what I saw, that also looks great!
Hopefully the game will pick up a lot more people due to word of mouth, no idea where all the hate is coming from.

BadTaste

I got to level 12 or so in the beta and stopped because I couldn't find anymore quests. I'd like to give it another whirl but can't afford to, sad days.

Everyone was trashing this game during beta, and the very fact that it was TES as an MMO but unlike SWTOR people seem to be digging this game at launch and enjoying every minute of it. This thing is on fire right now. People are loving the PVP, enjoying the questing/pve and having a blast with the surprisingly complex crafting system. I think Bethesda was successfully able to temper peoples expectations up to launch leading everyone to be pleasantly surprised. Obviously since it's an MMO launch bugs and rockieness are to be expected but this seems to be one of the smoothest launches in MMO history on a mega server with everyone playing all at once. Hopefully they'll keep the content coming on a regular basis. This game isn't hyped up to be a wow killer like every other MMO before it since WoW, and that might just be its saving grace.

Zafir

Just downloading it. Caved after saying I wasn't going to try it after all the bad press. Hopefully it isn't a total waste of money. :p

Is the melee/ranged imbalance bad in PVP by the way? Usually ranged end up dominating at first in PVP for various reasons. I plan on going Melee, but, a bit worried that I may end up feeling a bit useless, especially if it's like Guild Wars 2's WvWvW during the start when everyone was unorganized.

Edit: I suppose my other question is how easy is it to change roles in your designated class? Respeccing is always another issue MMO's seem to have.

Everyone was trashing this game during beta, and the very fact that it was TES as an MMO but unlike SWTOR people seem to be digging this game at launch and enjoying every minute of it. This thing is on fire right now. People are loving the PVP, enjoying the questing/pve and having a blast with the surprisingly complex crafting system. I think Bethesda was successfully able to temper peoples expectations up to launch leading everyone to be pleasantly surprised. Obviously since it's an MMO launch bugs and rockieness are to be expected but this seems to be one of the smoothest launches in MMO history on a mega server with everyone playing all at once. Hopefully they'll keep the content coming on a regular basis. This game isn't hyped up to be a wow killer like every other MMO before it since WoW, and that might just be its saving grace.

Every stream I've watched have been people complaining about bugs and boring quests if they even read the quests. It seems pretty bad to me, but I haven't played it. The combat looks especially boring.

Anyone using the Zam's Minion software from ESOUI to manage their add-ons? I'm always hesitant to install yet more shit on my computer to fulfill a single purpose, but if it's really solid, maybe it'd be worth it.

People were digging SWTOR on here at launch as well, and they also loved Tera, TSW, etc, but after a month or so, the honeymoon ends for majority of MMOs on gaf.

Every MMO launch on here has been a love fest for first couple weeks until people find the faults or reach endgame/caps. All the issues and systems are learned, people figure out what does and doesn't work, the problems in design get highlighted. People praise how awesome something is for first couple weeks, and then turn against that same feature later down the line. Like recently with FFXIVARR and people gushing at how awesome the FATES were, and that quickly turned sour

Every stream I've watched have been people complaining about bugs and boring quests if they even read the quests. It seems pretty bad to me, but I haven't played it. The combat looks especially boring.

See, this is the problem...I'm not sure who you have been watching but the streams I've seen people have been enjoying it even if they think it's a bad game. Which is pretty impressive. The game can be bad and people can have fun at the same time. Give it a while. Playing it is actually really fun imo, all my friends who've gotten it are enjoying it just as much as I am. PVP is very enjoyable .Sure, there are some design flaws but over all it's not as bad as the press and people who haven't played it will paint it.

See, this is the problem...I'm not sure who you have been watching but the streams I've seen people have been enjoying it even if they think it's a bad game. Which is pretty impressive. The game can be bad and people can have fun at the same time. Give it a while. Playing it is actually really fun imo, all my friends who've gotten it are enjoying it just as much as I am. PVP is very enjoyable .Sure, there are some design flaws but over all it's not as bad as the press and people who haven't played it will paint it.

How is that a problem?

Fellow Dominion peeps, I found a couple of interesting small loot rich environments to check out.

The first is the bank in Vulkel Guard. There's a lot of containers that can spawn recipes, motif books, and skills books. Run through it collecting/checking everything, then log off and back on, and some (all?) will have reset. I have an alt in the same bank, and I noticed this when switching back and forth between the two. Normally it'd be whatever if it was just barrels and boxes with provisioning materials, but I've gotten most of my recipes from there.

The other is Del's Claim, also in Auridon. He spawns every 20 or 30 seconds, and drops some decent lvl 6-8 gear, and filled soul gems. It's a great place to farm them, and get some sellable/desconstructable stuff too.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
People were digging SWTOR on here at launch as well, and they also loved Tera, TSW, etc, but after a month or so, the honeymoon ends for majority of MMOs on gaf.

Every MMO launch on here has been a love fest for first couple weeks until people find the faults or reach endgame/caps. All the issues and systems are learned, people figure out what does and doesn't work, the problems in design get highlighted. People praise how awesome something is for first couple weeks, and then turn against that same feature later down the line. Like recently with FFXIVARR and people gushing at how awesome the FATES were, and that quickly turned sour

I agree with you which is why I don't like to rush with MMOs. Took me 3 months to get to level cap in SWTOR. So hopefully by the time I reach cap they've begun to fill in the end game stuff a bit.

I also like to go in to MMOs now not knowing more than I have to, I'm enjoying exploring this game right now. I'm only level 6 but I already feel like I have a lot to discover. I like that they don't only have quests in hubs, you can find some interesting quests off the beaten path. I also really love the treasure maps stuff, that's a lot of fun. I found a master chest yesterday and got a treasure map out of it so I've been running around just trying to find the location. I also like that NPCs have something to say if you talk to them, I had a fish merchant recite me a poem about fish, that's was quite funny.

Look forward to trying the PVP when I get to 10.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Was hoping to play this after work, didn't realize it was 60GB install....

I needs 60GB to install but it'll be 30 in the end. It needs twice the space when installing. Kinda dumb I know.

Hawk269

According to their FAQ, they have no plans to do this.

Why in the hell not? It is seriously ruining the game for me that I have to hunch over my crappy computer desk using my crappy monitor to play this.

ESPECIALLY due to the fact that the entire interface was designed to be used with a controller!

ARGH so frustrating.

I used that third party Pinnacle app to "emulate" a controller, but the look around emulation is godawful. Pushing the stick in any diagonal direction causes the viewpoint to move extremely slowly. Using an emulator is just not an option.

I just don't understand... I mean, they have this game working on the XBone, right? Just put that controller code in the PC!

Flynn, you do realize that you can increase the amount of the speed when you look around? I use Pinnacle and used the profile someone linked in this thread. I then customized it a little further and it has been awesome. At first, it did move slow when panning around, but I changed the setting and now it feels like I am playing Skyrim with my 360 controller.

Hawk269

This game is just a paid beta. Every other quest is bugged.

I am up to Level 15 and have not had one quest that is bugged. My only issue has been a crash due to a server issue. Other than that it has been incredibly smooth for me.

Top Bottom