• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

mr stroke

So...just bought it at GMG with the %20 off, am downloading now...wtf am I doing.

Same dumb thing I did by pre ordering the CE lol

QCz6Pe8.jpg

Will probably only play it for a few months, but I gots the MMO itch so why not. Impressions have been good so far with the full release, so it should be fun for the first 1-2 months :)

Somnia

3 day access brought some lag and shit along with some disconnects. Server is down for maintenance to fix it.

Also the reason mail is shut off right now is because a dupe was found through an add-on.

Subxero

I made it to level 9 on my Dk. Game has been a lot of fun. I've just been talking my time and trying not to rush.

I actually think ESO is doing a better job telling a story, at least on the AD faction, then in the last two games. It's cool to see characters pop back up here and there. Makes the world feel much more alive.

I also enjoy just exploring the world and coming across quest and dungeons. Especially so early in the game. It's nice that dungeons are public places and I don't have to wait for a group. I can just dive in and help people out as I go. All without having some jerk bitch about a bunch of numbers and tell me how I should play. It makes it way more fun to see play.

I know it may not be popular but I'm glad the UI is minimal and I don't have a screen full of maps, bars, and stuff popping up. I really don't mind peeking at my map or journal and using the compass. I would kinda like to see my damage but it's really not a big deal. I may look to see if I can set up a tab in the chat to show that stuff.

I haven't experienced any broken quests yet or been disconnected. I have died once where it seemed like some rubberbanding may have happened but that was the first day.

My only service complaint is losing my pre-order stuff cause I accidentally picked the wrong faction the first time. I submitted a ticket and was sent a link to the head start FAQ and a glad we were able to solve your issue message. That really annoys me that the items should have been per character and not one per account. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to expect players to bank items to use them between characters. That's just nuts.

SZips

I made it to level 9 on my Dk. Game has been a lot of fun. I've just been talking my time and trying not to rush.

I actually think ESO is doing a better job telling a story, at least on the AD faction, then in the last two games. It's cool to see characters pop back up here and there. Makes the world feel much more alive.

I also enjoy just exploring the world and coming across quest and dungeons. Especially so early in the game. It's nice that dungeons are public places and I don't have to wait for a group. I can just dive in and help people out as I go. All without having some jerk bitch about a bunch of numbers and tell me how I should play. It makes it way more fun to see play.

I know it may not be popular but I'm glad the UI is minimal and I don't have a screen full of maps, bars, and stuff popping up. I really don't mind peeking at my map or journal and using the compass. I would kinda like to see my damage but it's really not a big deal. I may look to see if I can set up a tab in the chat to show that stuff.

I haven't experienced any broken quests yet or been disconnected. I have died once where it seemed like some rubberbanding may have happened but that was the first day.

My only service complaint is losing my pre-order stuff cause I accidentally picked the wrong faction the first time. I submitted a ticket and was sent a link to the head start FAQ and a glad we were able to solve your issue message. That really annoys me that the items should have been per character and not one per account. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to expect players to bank items to use them between characters. That's just nuts.

I must say that I agree with most of this. I wasn't at all sold on this during the beta but having been playing it now for a few hours, it's certainly grown on me. It's more akin to a traditional Elder Scrolls title than anything else, which is perfectly fine by me. The stuff about the pre-order/Imperial stuff is spot on. It's really dumb that they tied that to just one character instead of to the account.

I will say that I wish the UI was a bit more informative, however. I wouldn't mind seeing the traditional MMO-style damage numbers flying off (as an option). I wouldn't mind having a perpetual mini-map in the screen either, but I suppose that might be a job for an add-on soon enough. I also wish it were a bit easier to tell which characters were NPCs you can talk to and which are actual players. I did a small work around for this by enabling the health bars just for friendly NPCs but it's a less than elegant solution.

I also ran into a few quest issues and general bugs. I was warped into a void right near the beginning when you have to jump into the rift to leave the prison tutorial area and get into the main game. All I did was jump where I stood and it took me to the void where the only fix was to exit the game and log back in. Fortunately, this placed me back where I should have been. I also ran into at least one quest where it was either bugged or the reset timer was insanely high for the boss/item I needed to find.

I also ran into just one crash and even then it was just a crash to the main menu with an error that simply said an unknown error had occurred.

imtehman

Banned

yeah man those days of speeding through content to be server first is over for me. I relax and level up slow and actually listen to the dialogue and read through the books when i can.

You really do miss out a lot on the game when you just skip through everything

hittman

Banned
Really? Its a good game and probably a decent one for a newbie to mmo's.

I think he's apologising for the addictive timesink that is the MMO experience, not attacking the game

Managed to get half an hour in before work today, but crashed when fighting Molag's minion. The game is good, but one unfortunate thing is there are no Australian servers, meaning 200ms ping is probably the best I can get... this won't be good in large battles.

Somnia

I think he's apologising for the addictive timesink that is the MMO experience, not attacking the game

Managed to get half an hour in before work today, but crashed when fighting Molag's minion. The game is good, but one unfortunate thing is there are no Australian servers, meaning 200ms ping is probably the best I can get... this won't be good in large battles.

Ah ok if so then ya sorry! Just have seen this game attacked for so long its hard to distinguish lol

hittman

Banned
Ah ok if so then ya sorry! Just have seen this game attacked for so long its hard to distinguish lol

I know right? Just goes to show you shouldn't slander a game until you've played it. It seems like the community has done a 180 on 'this game is/will be horrible and fail' to 'hey this game is pretty damned good'

hittman

Banned
This scheduled downtime is horse shit should be at 3-4am pst

GMT+8 here, what's the bet that it will be down during my 5-9pm gaming weekday window! At least most of you guys are sleeping during the maintenance

Might just create a new one on the eu server

Hellers

I know right? Just goes to show you shouldn't slander a game until you've played it. It seems like the community has done a 180 on 'this game is/will be horrible and fail' to 'hey this game is pretty damned good'

I tried one beta weekend a few months ago and hated the tutorial. I pushed through it anyway and then couldn't bring myself to do anything on the starter island. Then two days ago I got the itch and decided to give it a proper go. I'm very pleased I did. I think I must have looted almost every single pot in the starter instance and haven't looked back. Rolled a sorc and I'm really enjoying myself.

Kem0sabe

So, me and my brother started playing last night in the Aldmeri Dominion, joined the GAF guild and did some questing around the first zone, it was a very fun experience despite the silly grouping mechanics while questing (each person in the group has to do the objectives, you dont get credit for others completing them).

The game just promotes exploration and we kept talking on Skype which direction to go and gave a shout anytime one of us discovered a new unexplored location in the compass.

Hellers

So, me and my brother started playing last night in the Aldmeri Dominion, joined the GAF guild and did some questing around the first zone, it was a very fun experience despite the silly grouping mechanics while questing (each person in the group has to do the objectives, you dont get credit for others completing them).

In typical MMO fashion sometimes one person can advance the quest for others in the party and sometimes not. More often not though from my experience.

One tip I can give that threw me and my friend for a little while yesterday. If the only thing you can see of your friend standing right in front of you is the little arrow thing above his head it's because you're in a different quest phase for that area. Once you match up you'll be able to see each other again.

Dunlop

lol my download is at 9% after about 2 hours, my hopes of at least starting the installation when I leave for work have been crushed

Got all happy to see I was wrong and the game was downloaded, logged in to try and make my character before leaving for work and..

maintenance : (

demonkaze

The Gaf EU guild has a few more people, still a long way before we get a guild store. I'll give someone else access to invite for when i'm offline too.

taoofjord

It's not a good sign when you click "English" on the game's website but it displays everything in German.

And if this is due to the North American server being down, then I must ask why the website is tied to the game server.

docbon

It's not a good sign when you click "English" on the game's website but it displays everything in German.

And if this is due to the North American server being down, then I must ask why the website is tied to the game server.

Yeah, there's def. some fuckery going on with the forums since the pre-release started.

Also heard about some guardian NPCs in Glenumbra speaking in german for some inexplicable reason.

Kem0sabe

It's also disconcerting to have the general chat filled with German, French and other non english languages. I think this is one of the issues of having a single server for all of Europe.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
It's also disconcerting to have the general chat filled with German, French and other non english languages. I think this is one of the issues of having a single server for all of Europe.

Can't you filter chat by language zones? or is everyone using the English zone no matter what language they speak? lol

Zafir

Well they should have separate chats for other languages really.

WarMacheen

dafuq, trying to download it on another computer with no luck. So you can't even download the client/game when the servers are down?

or is something just screwed on my end.

"Unable to load metafile, contact customer service"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so temped with the GMG 20% voucher, mostly to play in first person, at least its different than all the other mmos... dunno what to do. Im not feeling the class system, I like my classes defined, not this use any weapon stuff :/

edit: fuck it bought it, prepare for a avalanche of questions in the next few hours! :p

Kem0sabe

Can't you filter chat by language zones? or is everyone using the English zone no matter what language they speak? lol

They have general chat channels for other languages but people are just using the default one (english), its impossible to keep track of any conversation because you have french guilds recruiting, germans discussing whatever while the lone Finn sits in the corner talking to himself.

It's a mess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there a gaf guild I can join when it finished downloading (and the servers are up I guess)?

Rhaknar

NA?

Let me know your @id (username) or character name when you get on and I'll send you an invite.

europe :/

this download will take forever, and its going at 9mbs o_O still only 9% done

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there some kind of petition to sign to get controller support in this game?

I have Pinnacle set up for it, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Mainly, moving the viewpoint never feels right, and there's all sorts of acceleration problems.

Secondly, mapping the digital movement keys to an analog stick just sucks. When you transition from strafing to moving forward or back, it is really hitchy and feels awful. There's also no nuance to walk speed depending on how hard you push the stick, which leads to really big movements if you slightly tap it.

That said, the entire game is obviously designed around using a controller, and other than the above problems, it plays way better with a controller.

Bethesda! Controller support! NOW!

Somnia

V1.0.1 Patch Notes
OVERVIEW

The Elder Scrolls Online v1.0.1 features a number of fixes to existing content. Here’s a brief overview of what awaits you in this patch:
•Fixes to quests that were blocking progression.
•New option to view the intro cinematic any time.

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS

Alliance War
General •Revised the quest to kill 20 players in Cyrodiil to make it a daily quest, rather than repeatable.

Combat & Gameplay
General •Reduced the percentage required to gain credit for a kill for healers that were healing an ally.
•Fixed an issue where you could get dismounted from your horse when jumping over various objects.
•Fixed an issue with fishing where the game client could crash.
•Fixed an issue where abilities with a cast time were not properly reducing your movement speed during casting.
•Fixed an issue where the monkey pet granted to beta testers occasionally had collision.

Crafting & Economy
General •Fixed an issue where low-level players were being granted high-level food recipes. You should now receive recipes appropriate for your level.

Dungeons & Group Content
General •Fixed an issue where the chest containing the portal to Crow’s Wood would occasionally get stuck in an open or closed position, and would prevent you from entering.
•A Son’s Promise: Fixed an issue in Crows’ Wood where Rulantaril's Construct would instantly respawn.
•Fixed an issue with Dark Anchors which could prevent monsters from spawning.

Exploration & Itemization
General •You will no longer receive veteran rank swords from fishing in Stonefalls.

Mac Client
General •Fixed an issue with the MacBook Air that was causing NPCs to multiply as you moved the camera around.

Quests
Auridon •In the name of the Queen: Fixed an issue in the quest where the priestesses at the Northern and Western ritual sites would occasionally get stuck in a kneeling pose, blocking your progress.
•New in Town: Malareth has been run out of Vulkhel Guard for the time being, but she vows to return at a later date. Those of you on this quest are advised to abandon the quest until she returns. Not completing this quest will not impact any achievements.

Betnikh •Prove Your Worth: Fixed an issue where you would lose credit for dueling NPCs if other players interfered before the NPC could land a hit.

Glenumbra •Bloodthorn Assassins: Increased the respawn rate of suspicious cargo, plus the chance of the correct assassin spawning in the cargo.
•Legacy of Baelborne Rock: Tanchim now yells at only you when interacting with the rune, instead of everyone in the region, including most of Daggerfall City.
•Vale of the Guardians: Fixed an issue where the quest could get blocked if one of the monsters defending the Wyress got stuck.

Khenarthi’s Roost •The Perils of Diplomacy: Added a map pin to the location of the Green Lady to resolve an issue where the red mist leading to her location was not visible.

Rivenspire •Shornhelm Divided: Fixed an issue where the High King Emeric would occasionally not appear on the step “Meet High King Emeric.” You can now meet him!

Stonefalls •Death of Balreth: Fixed a couple of issues which were preventing you from containing the spirit at the end of the quest, blocking both completion and exit.
•Restoring the Guardians: Fixed an issue that was preventing Ragebinder and/or Blaze from appearing when summoned.

User Interface
General •Fixed an issue where you could not zoom in to look at your first character’s face in the character creation menu.

•The intro cinematic has been replaced with a new, higher quality version.

•There is now an option to play the intro cinematic any time you’d like to watch it again.

•The issue preventing chat and name filters from working has been fixed; chat and character names are now filtered for bad language. Please be aware that Customer Support may have to alter your character name if it breaks our naming requirements.

•Added a textual warning when deleting a character reminding you that items still attached to characters on deletion will be deleted. This includes items granted through pre-ordering, Imperial Editions, and beta rewards. •Note: This message is currently only in German and French. We intend on adding an English message soon.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so I bought a key from kinguin, which got sent after five minutes, but where do I put it? Lol sorry for the dumb question

Rhaknar

just finished downloading and got in, guess the european servers are up?

anyway, does it matter which alliance you choose?

so I bought a key from kinguin, which got sent after five minutes, but where do I put it? Lol sorry for the dumb question

elderscrollsonline.com and make an account

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
They don't let you download patches while the server is down? =\

My internet can be really really slow at times so would hate to have to wait until the servers are back up before downloading patches.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just finished downloading and got in, guess the european servers are up?

anyway, does it matter which alliance you choose?

elderscrollsonline.com and make an account

ta mate. Dowloading right now, I just cant help buying medieval MMORPGs, good or bad

Zafir

I take it you can't join guilds of a different Alliance? Didn't choose the one the Neogaf eu guild is part of as my friend had already chosen another. :/

Somnia

Really sucks about the 20 kill cyrodiil quest being switched to Daily, but apparently this was being exploited where guilds who have alliances were utilizing it by just farming other members in a remote area of the map and fast exping that way.

Somnia

I take it you can't join guilds of a different Alliance? Didn't choose the one the Neogaf eu guild is part of as my friend had already chosen another. :/

You can cross join, but can't group with other members from different factions.

Top Bottom