• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

So apparently if you increase the font size of things in Windows it forces the game to scale the resolution to the increased font size aka lowering it.

I've been playing at like 640x480 or something really low since beta.... No wonder the game looked blurry, lol.

CoLaN

I LOVE exploration in this game. You can find blue items in chests scattered around the world, lorebooks to gain experience, minibosses, and so much more.

Im having a blast between the PvP campaign and the PvE experience.

Giggzy

All the impressions being fairly good and with my impulsiveness I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on this. I've been so burned with every other mmo in the past though, ultimately I should just take a wait and see approach. Not sure how long I'll be able to hold out!

Einbroch

Banned
I'm also pretty sure that guy and his girlfriend got a $12,000 donation this morning from a viewer.
Gonna be cancelled. People do that all the time to streamers to see their reaction in stream. However, it sometimes helps. I remember one streamer thought he got a $1200 donation and flipped out, only to have it cancelled. Well, after he learned this and told his viewers, he got like $5000 in donations from all his viewers.

CoLaN

I like the subscription option on partnered twitch channels, but i am not sure how i feel about the donations.

My brain just wont accept the fact that some of these people get thousands of money as donations; i would donate for charity and organizations only... but that's just me.

So I did my first dungeon, Banished Cells, earlier as a tank. Needless to say I was terrible.. really didn't know what to expect and I still don't have combat down well. I died on every boss, but we only wiped once. The group actually said I was a good tank, lol.

I had a blast though. It was actually rather difficult for a beginner dungeon. The mobs hit hard and the final boss spams a lot of deadly AOE and needs to be moved constantly (well I had to move a lot). Plus he hits very hard and has a mechanic. Good shit. I like it when MMOs don't pussy foot around.

I really have been enjoying the game. I finished most of the starting area... there may be a few hidden dungeons but I think I got all the towns. I'm about level 17.

I really think the beta gave me bad vibes because I expected the game to be total shit. Everyone said it was shit, and at first glance the game looks like yet another theme park MMO with GW-esque combat.

It's much more than that I found. Once you spend several hours in the game the charm really sets in.

Exploration is rewarded, gave me a Skyrim vibe really. Many "hubs" in the first area are not a part of main quest chain and none of them are even required to progress. I got to the second area only to go back to the starting area and explore some more and opened up a questline for the second area. These side hubs had their own bit to add to the narrative of that zone (I assume each "hub" has its own story, much like SWTOR had a storyline for each planet). You mostly get Skyshards from exploring, but some dungeons just have bosses and shit to take down.

I hope this keeps up on the way to level cap. I'm taking it slow, listening to the dialogue, exploring, and I'm having a blast. Haven't even tried PVP yet, but I hear it's great. PVP is why I play MMOs.

docbon

Discovered the group challenge achievements not too long ago.

It seems every now and then, a public dungeon will have a difficult mob that can only be taken down by a group. Killing it gives you 50 achievement points (and possibly a skillpoint, from what I hear.)

Also that time travel quest along the Faolchu quest-chain was pretty cool if you decide not to stick with the original timeline. spoilers:
If you decide to save the soldier's wife yourself, the group that goes into the cave to slay Faolchu gets slaughtered. The wife's descendant replaces the original quest giver (who may or may not be erased from existence), and the two mages who give you a glimpse of the past, have their gender switched.

imtehman

Banned
I hope this keeps up on the way to level cap. I'm taking it slow, listening to the dialogue, exploring, and I'm having a blast. Haven't even tried PVP yet, but I hear it's great. PVP is why I play MMOs.

i'm doing the same as well, really enjoying the lore and i wish i didnt powerlevel when i started in wow.

I play as a healer and its kinda easy. A lot of the spells is automated where it will heal/shield the person with the lowest health. Its certainly not nearly as stressful as healing heroic ICC when i was raiding back in wotlk

Giggzy

Does the game have anything to balance the factions in PvP? My biggest concern with that is the fact that there always is one faction that dominates the rest. I hope it doesn't turn out the same way here

The temptation to buy this game is rising by the minute, even though I won't have enough free time for it. I just really like Elder Scrolls and hearing that the game-world is interesting to explore is making me itch inside. Darned!

Varth

guild are cross alliance? why wasnt i told of this!~?!? :)

WAT? How does this make any sense in a game that's so PVP oriented?

Can anyone explain? Until PS4 beta starts I'm unable to try it.

EDIT: seems like I misread: guilds are not like the Grand Companies of FFXIV, right? So, help me understand: If I want to play as Khajit and a friend is a Breton, we can't band together, right?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So some dumbass guildmate told me that campaigns were account bound and choosing one campaign on any char will lock all others to said home campaign. Nope... so my DC character is now locked onto a completely dead home campaign (aka 100% AD dominated) and my AD char is locked out of playing with my guild for 80 days. Really puts a damper on the otherwise fun PvE experience I'm having.

Speaking of campaigns, I hear over half are pretty dead right now because they let you freely choose your home campaign and didn't put a population cap on said campaigns (i.e. would have made sense to only allow 1 EB for every 1 AD and 1 DC player that locked into a home campaign to balance them out). Hope they fix this shit soon, at the very least make campaign lengths 1-2 weeks max until they figure out a way to balance them out... don't fucking have us unknowingly lock ourselves into dead backwater campaigns for 80 days if we didn't choose Auriel's Bow or happened to choose an unfavorable campaign.

PvE impressions: absolutely most fun leveling and exploration in an MMO I've ever played. Combat works well too. Hope this keeps up to the endgame.
PvP impressions: absolute dog-shit that needs some real short term work to get in order. The sieges and gameplay are here, but the boneheaded lack of faction balancingmakes the zerg-style of Campaign pvp almost unbearable; it's not even fun for the winning side when there's no enemy to speak of.

Does the game have anything to balance the factions in PvP? My biggest concern with that is the fact that there always is one faction that dominates the rest. I hope it doesn't turn out the same way here

Yep. This is the game's biggest issue right now IMO. My campaign is completely and utterly dead with one faction owning 100% of everything for the last 2 days and with everyone from the other two factions not even participating. The easy waypoints allow the faction with the most players to form a gigantic zerg and easily take everything to secure emperor and once that happens, there's almost no way to break it. From my guildchats it seems like 90% of the campaigns (everything but Auriel's bow) are approaching deadzones with one faction completely dominating.

Not to mention that now because they capped quests to daily instead of infinite, there is a huge imbalance in the point system that mostly affects the Emperor. The Emperor's that locked in during the first one or two days of early access will never be dethroned for 90 days barring a reset, one of the dudes in my guild is Emperor on Auriel's Bow (the most populated campaign) and said the closest person to him was like 20k points behind (basically insurmountable). And having an Emperor like this basically solidifies a 90 day victory for one faction, shoter campaign resets are a must (1-2 weeks)...

docbon

re: home campaign, can't you switch home campaigns using alliance points? or does it only apply at the end of the campaign?

And I agree about the emperorship, and balancing. If the matches don't reset weekly, the points should at the very least. I'm hoping to see the matches start to equalize as the next few weeks go by. Players can hop in at level 10, but they don't get weapon swap til 15, and since Cyrodiil doesn't provide the XP it used to provide, they may be opting to just do PvE until cap before participating in AvA.

Teletraan1

Banned
I have played almost every major MMO released at launch in the last few years and this is among my favorite so far. I love the quests and the quest structure. The exploration element is really nice, you never know what you are going to run into. I like that there are familiar game systems if you played Skyrim fitted into a MMO. In fact I am playing it just like I do Skyrim, reading everything, exploring everywhere but with no level scaling enemies :p. While graphically I don't think it quite matches FFXIV I can max this out on my rig and it looks pretty nice. I get that subscription MMOs aren't people's thing around these parts but for the forty some odd dollars I paid so far, even if I just play this quality of content for a month I would be happy with it in this game landscape of 14 hour games for $60. I have no idea if that will last or what end game is like or if there is enough to keep me playing but I am having fun right now.

-NeoTB1-

Am I the only one who almost spent 6 hours wandering around in the starting village? Only to realize I was still lvl 3? Haha.

I am only level 3 and yet I've spent 4 or 5 hours in the game so far. So no, you're not the only one. :p I'm definitely taking my time and soaking it all in.

Yeah, the first time goes more slowly as you listen to dialogue and explore. Having taken part in beta weekends for a while, I've seen both starter areas for AD, so I can get through it much faster.

SummitAve

Banned
Speaking of campaigns, I hear over half are pretty dead right now because they let you freely choose your home campaign and didn't put a population cap on said campaigns (i.e. would have made sense to only allow 1 EB for every 1 AD and 1 DC player that locked into a home campaign to balance them out). Hope they fix this shit soon, at the very least make campaign lengths 1-2 weeks max until they figure out a way to balance them out... don't fucking have us unknowingly lock ourselves into dead backwater campaigns for 80 days if we didn't choose Auriel's Bow or happened to choose an unfavorable campaign.

What faction has the most people and keeps winning?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I feel that more than most mmos, you can just play this as a regular RPG, the quests are really long and involved, ive barely seen any "kill 10 rats". quite enjoying it now

I also think its the most action-y combat Ive seen in a mmo, more than Tera imo. Nice surprise overall

Brick

I bought this yesterday and spent a few hours on the initial island. I have to say that I am incredibly impressed. I haven't seen any "Kill 10 boars" quests, and the combat is fun and engaging. I bought this hoping that it will hold me over until Wildstar, and it looks like that it will fit the bill quite nicely.

LtOrange

What are some fun sorcerer builds people are having success with? I just picked up the game last night and I am struggling on choosing a direction to take the character.

Kem0sabe

What are some fun sorcerer builds people are having success with? I just picked up the game last night and I am struggling on choosing a direction to take the character.

I building my sorcerer into a healer, so that means investing on the restoration staff skill line and mana efficiency passives.

Damage wise, crystal shard is more than enough punch to kill most mobs easily and the skill line has the advantage of giving you dark exchange later on, which allows you to convert stamina into mana, which is great.

Hellers

I have crystal shard morphed to do aoe damage and I open up with that and following it up by dotting everything up with daedric curse. Meanwhile my imp has distracted at least one of the mobs and I use a destruction staff to finish up (I like the destruction staff skills too). Killed a world boss mob that I found the other day and got a nice blue frost staff that I'm using at the moment.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I building my sorcerer into a healer, so that means investing on the restoration staff skill line and mana efficiency passives.

Damage wise, crystal shard is more than enough punch to kill most mobs easily and the skill line has the advantage of giving you dark exchange later on, which allows you to convert stamina into mana, which is great.

and for something completely different, my sorceror is a meleer, dual weilding swords (actually its a sword and a axe atm) and using pets and lightning armor :)

can someone explain something about switching weapons at level 15. say I have a pet or a armor buff on 1 set, I activate them (so I have the armor buff and the pet out), if I switch to the second weapon set, will those spells end?

Kem0sabe

and for something completely different, my sorceror is a meleer, dual weilding swords (actually its a sword and a axe atm) and using pets and lightning armor :)

can someone explain something about switching weapons at level 15. say I have a pet or a armor buff on 1 set, I activate them (so I have the armor buff and the pet out), if I switch to the second weapon set, will those spells end?

Yep, your summon will vanish when you change weapons.

Karak

Working up my review for this. But I have to say one thing. I agree with everyone that the quests really do have a very different feeling from any other MMO before.

SummitAve

Banned

I went weird and made a female orc sorcerer. It seems fairly easy to die or get caught in tough situations so I think I'm going to try and take advantage of the orc's heavy armor bonus and tank while I cast and slash.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do bows work in the game? Do you actually have to aim, lead targets, etc? Or is it like the fireball spell (which I have), where if you have the cursor over an enemy it homes in?

Also, I'm not really sure how staves work. I'm playing as the fire paladin class. I have two class spells that are fire. If I hold a fire staff, does it give a bonus to these?

I currently have a healing staff as well. What happens when I wield this? Does it just heal people when I swing it?

Dunlop

Having fun with by Templar with Bow as main (think I am level 6?)

Issue I'm having atm is you cannot train mobs very far before they reset. I'm on the second part of the mage guild quest and am getting pwn'ed by a specific mob because it is only close quaters

SummitAve

Banned
How do bows work in the game? Do you actually have to aim, lead targets, etc? Or is it like the fireball spell (which I have), where if you have the cursor over an enemy it homes in?

Also, I'm not really sure how staves work. I'm playing as the fire paladin class. I have two class spells that are fire. If I hold a fire staff, does it give a bonus to these?

I currently have a healing staff as well. What happens when I wield this? Does it just heal people when I swing it?

Staves have their own attack, instead of swinging a sword you're shooting some sort of magic. This is seperate from your skill spells. I think it is likely that there will be staves with some sort of magika bonus as well.

Is the bar on some weapons below a little padlock for durability or charges? What happens when it goes all the way down?

Kem0sabe

Is the bar on some weapons below a little padlock for durability or charges? What happens when it goes all the way down?

you can replenish those charges with soul gem's, i had to do it last night with my resto staff, pretty easy to do through the inventory screen.

Top Bottom