• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Many MMOs require or have required CC information to be put in before the end of the month, during the 30day game time. The pre-authorization of that high of an amount definitely seems like uncharted waters; typically it's something like a $1 charge if memory serves me right . Seems like they've at least responded to it.

This really is no different than many other services that offer X amount of days for free.

its completely different when they do a pre-charge, which can take up days to clear, meanwhile you are down 15 bucks or whatever your currency is, which you might need for something

I have never seen any game do this, and Ive played most mmos

HowZatOZ

Banned
its completely different when they do a pre-charge, which can take up days to clear, meanwhile you are down 15 bucks or whatever your currency is, which you might need for something

I have never seen any game do this, and Ive played most mmos
A fair number of online games, typically MMOs, do this to ensure that your bank is capable of deducting monthly payments. As others have said, usually its $1-2 but the full amount is definitely strange. I did read somewhere that the payment will be reversed after a few days, so you'll get your money back, but it of course the fact you can't use your free 30 days before doing that is even weirder.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A fair number of online games, typically MMOs, do this to ensure that your bank is capable of deducting monthly payments. As others have said, usually its $1-2 but the full amount is definitely strange. I did read somewhere that the payment will be reversed after a few days, so you'll get your money back, but it of course the fact you can't use your free 30 days before doing that is even weirder.

im pretty sure I dont have15€ in my card atm after buying ESO the other day you know lol. so im actually fucked until I charge my card. guess I wont be playing the game for a few days...lol, amazing.

Can someone help me out with campaigns and factions and such? I keep hearing about how pvp is unbalanced and one faction (campaign?) dominates and there's nothing for anyone ever to do. How can I make sure i pick the right place to play so I can have balanced pvp?

To add on I shouldn't be concerned with pop imbalances right now?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Can someone help me out with campaigns and factions and such? I keep hearing about how pvp is unbalanced and one faction (campaign?) dominates and there's nothing for anyone ever to do. How can I make sure i pick the right place to play so I can have balanced pvp?

Choose Wabbajack or Auriel's Bow if you want fun, balanced PVP. Choose anything else if you want a one sided affair.

CoLaN

Can't say enough how much i love exploration in this game. Everytime i decide to check a room or an area not related to anything, i find lorebooks (they give exp for the mage guild), hidden quests, and much more.

Rootbeer

Banned
is there a good guide for beginners? i literally can't decide what to put my points into. i'm not trying to min/max just want some advice and info.

I am having a hard time getting this game to run at 60fps at full settings and 1080p. At first I thought it was an SLI issue, so I turned off SLI and still the same performance. I drop to 30's in town and other areas. I then forced my card to run at max boost and still the same drops in performance. GPU usage hovers at around only 60% or so regardless if it is 60fps or when it drops to the 30's.

I have 2 GTX Titans paired with I73930x both the GPU and CPU are overclocked and under water. No other game exhibits this behavior. I even tested running a benchmark to ensure my cards are spinning up (when not using K-Boost) and they do. So it has to be something with the game.

Any ideas on what too look into or is just a matter of Driver issues?
I really don't think this game supports multi-GPU setups currently. I know for sure Crossfire isn't supported as I have 2x 7970s and only one is working when I play.

That being said I've read about people with worse rigs than ours getting better FPS in towns and I can't figure out if they're stretching the truth or if there's some kind underlying driver issue.

Anyway, the best suggestion I can give for getting 60 is lowering the view distance down, play with the slider. I know, it's not "max settings" if you do it, but I didn't see much of a difference from 40 and like 100. I tried looking for drastic changes, lol.

Hopefully in a few patches/driver updates it'll run in SLI/Crossfire and true fullscreen.

Volimar

If anyone in the guild wants to invite a somewhat useless dragonknight mage, my character name is the same as my GAF name.

user237

is there a good guide for beginners? i literally can't decide what to put my points into. i'm not trying to min/max just want some advice and info.

A lot of players in game are saying to put all your attribute points into Health because it's easier to max out Stamina and Magicka using equipment.

For skills I'm trying to concentrate into a only a few active skills because of the 5-skill limit on the bar, and everything else I'm using for passives.

CoLaN

Running around, and a random event literally dropped on my head, 2 waves and this final mob

rmnnks8u.png

Wookieomg

So what's the current GAF consensus for ESO? The hype buildup for this game was dismal and the Beta was pretty terribad, I thought... Wondering if people are really enjoying it now.

Karak

My god with even more people the fun level shot through the roof. Not sure which neogaffer it was last night but teaming up was freaking amazing. So surprised at how well everything ran. Also taking on the dungeon bosses with 19 people and the thing still gets 70fps+ is just amazing to me.

Can't believe it but this may eclipse my old choices for top MMO's and the morphing of the skills really feels different each time. Man. I have almost the exact same skills but used different morphs and everything plays different.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Can I get an invite to the US GAF guild? Name is @studiotan.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I haven't seen any guides, and don't think there will be any for awhile with everyone slogging through the content still. I've got a Redguard Templar specced for heal/dps (dps only for surviving quests) and I've just been a bit mix and match.

If you happen to make a wrong mistake, you can unspec in your faction's main city (not the beginning one) but it costs an arm and a leg to do it. I don't agree with what another user said in that you can simply max out health because stam/magicka can be maxed through items because that applies to any of the stats. Honestly, play however you want. Your first character is always going to be broken while you figure out what hurts and what doesn't.
So what's the current GAF consensus for ESO? The hype buildup for this game was dismal and the Beta was pretty terribad, I thought... Wondering if people are really enjoying it now.
From what I've seen and from my own personal opinion, the game has really outshone all the negativity it had pre-launch. I don't know if its just people actually getting their hands on it, or the past betas being bad judgement (they were quite horrendous) but everyone I've met and talked with after playing for a good few hours is hooked on the content. It seems like this game will easily have a steady lifespan, and I highly doubt we'll be hearing anything free-to-play wise for a good time to come.

I can't wait to see what they have in store for the future, so many possibilities. Though, I do hope they listen to player feedback as there are a few UI/minimalist changes I'd like to see such as increased bank space (far too small compared to guild bank), some zone tweaks (Stonefall's Strifeswarm world boss is super difficult for no reason) and maybe a more global AH. Not necessarily a typical AH like other MMO's, but maybe the ability to list your guild stores on a public AH so everyone can see it. You still function within guild stores, but its just more accessible.

Thing I love about ESO most right now... I named my ESO character Fell and there's a town in Rivenspire named Fell's Run and a quest called Fell's Justice. I will henceforth be roleplaying my character as mayor of Fell's Run.

SmoothCB

What's the word on the PS4 beta and release? I'm rocking a MacBook Pro late 2013 and assume that it won't work without a dedicated card.

Teletraan1

Banned
Still having fun but there are a lot of bugged quests. I have had to log out a lot just to fix them. And this often does not fix them so I am forced to move on. Now I am under leveled for the content. I have also had the game client eat up all my memory until it crashed but that was an 8 hour game session so maybe it was telling me something. What that is I don't know.

Wookieomg

From what I've seen and from my own personal opinion, the game has really outshone all the negativity it had pre-launch. I don't know if its just people actually getting their hands on it, or the past betas being bad judgement (they were quite horrendous) but everyone I've met and talked with after playing for a good few hours is hooked on the content. It seems like this game will easily have a steady lifespan, and I highly doubt we'll be hearing anything free-to-play wise for a good time to come.

I can't wait to see what they have in store for the future, so many possibilities. Though, I do hope they listen to player feedback as there are a few UI/minimalist changes I'd like to see such as increased bank space (far too small compared to guild bank), some zone tweaks (Stonefall's Strifeswarm world boss is super difficult for no reason) and maybe a more global AH. Not necessarily a typical AH like other MMO's, but maybe the ability to list your guild stores on a public AH so everyone can see it. You still function within guild stores, but its just more accessible.

Hmm... I'm going to watch some streams and be open minded about it. The starting area in the Beta really killed my desire to play the game. Tried three different characters but I just didn't enjoy the tutorial content whatsoever. I know that's not indicative of much beyond the tutorial but it was enough to make me steer clear from the beta. >_< But I'm glad everyone's enjoying the retail version! Definitely interested...

Karak

The game handles the different areas masterfully and when there are large scale battles man its good fun.
I came into this area and the music started rumbling and I thought, "whelp there goes my plans to get to bed any time before midnight.

dont u judge an MMO two-three months from now, because right now its hype train plus its new.
2-3 months from some of the players will go back to their old MMO or game

First 2 months or so are the love fests for MMOs, till all the underlying problems with the game surface.

Ironically, after people have put more hours into the game than 90% of their backlog. Although it's true most MMOs have problems with end-game content, getting there can, arguably, be justified by the asking price of admission.

Also, it's obviously better than a hate-fest from the beginning. It's not like every MMO gets a love fest. Furthermore, it's rather telling that a game with so much unbridled bashing has now done a 180 among many MMO fans and journalist; that, in and of itself, is the most impressive thing to me about ESO. Not that it's just another "honeymoon" MMO.

Just had a look at the OT and some of the posts/impressions in the thread and I'm surprised to see so much positivity after the hate-fest that was so prevalent in the beta/pre/post NDA threads.

Did they recruit folk from Bethesda/Skyrim folk to touch up the game graphically at the last minute or something after all those poor initial impressions? The game as it was in beta (judging from that leaked alpha(?)/beta(?) youtube video with the crappy character animations/textures etc. and the starting area that was inside a boat which had the PC killing rats or something) looks so much different when compared to the end product.

The characters look less shittier and while not up to Skyrim standards is still decent. The world looks better and so does the architecture.

They're like 2 completely different games. That leaked video really diminished the hype folk had for the game earlier on and drove the game down in the GAF most wanted lists.

RoKKeR

Surprising amount of positive impressions in here! Interested to try out the beta on consoles as I don't have my PC any more.

Hawk269

The game is really blowing me away. Visually, it is really nice. Since I have the horse, I decided just to keep riding down roads and I uncovered 3 more areas that you visit much later in the game and there are truly some impressive places out in the world. The game is basically Skyrim but in a MMO. The quests so far have been very good, some are short and fetch like quests, but the majority (non-main-story) are pretty involved and have multiple links in the quest chain.

I only played one of the first beta's and I was iffy on the game, but I am glad I decided to get it when the early access started. Right now, I am just taking it real slow, I am wandering around, been finding treasure chests throughout the world and trying to use my lock-picks to open them.

For those just starting and part of the NeoGaf guild, I will be depositing some lower level gear (I think most are level 4-8) into the guild bank for anyone to use. I know some of the items in the Bank are for more higher levels, but it sounds like we will have a few newer players and having some decent gear to help out is a big plus.

Karak

How taxing is the game? Would a laptop with a 540M handle it well? I handle ff14 well enough in medium setting at 30-40fps. Thinking of giving this a try.

A 540m MIGHT be able to. I admit this thing runs way better than I expected but that is pushing it right there.

bakeray

Yeah I was hating the game hard after playing the Beta but my roommate roped me into buying the Imperial Edition and I haven't looked back since. I think if you're an Elder Scrolls fan or an MMO-fan at all it's worth buying for the single-player exploration portions and the questing alone. I've started doing Cyrodil with some friends and I think once people get strategies and there are some basic quality of life fixes it will be really fun as well, although I have joined a few servers where the balance was out of whack.

I don't know if the end-game is going to be worth subscribing for or what their commitment to delivering content will be either but I'd say it's worth checking out if you have any interest at all, the world itself really draws you in, and the questing feels a lot more organic and fresh than some of the more recent MMOs I've played.

Rizzi

Regarding the performance, I turned off water reflections, bumped down the draw distance to 40 and turned off AO. Mostly runs at 60 now.

Top Bottom