• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

dat scalability.

It's the console build :p

Jokes aside. Any Australian / Oceanic GAF'ers playing at the moment? Is latency a serious a problem, considering it's an action MMO?

I personally want to PVP when I hit max level, and I'm wondering how restrictive it is with 200-300ms. I already have a feeling that's just not realistic, and that I should avoid this...but I'm hoping to hear otherwise.

Hawk269

Here is something weird...

I have a I7-3930k OC to 4.8, 2 GTX Titans OC as well. At 1080p with max settings everything, I get frame rate drops to the lower 30's at times. So tried down-sampling for the hell of it using 2560x1440p. But like other's have reported, for some reason the game lets you select the resolution, but does not apply. So I decided to change the desktop resolution to the to 1440p and then run the game and it finally allows it to display in 1440p, down sampled of course.

So running it at the 1440p down sample, I run through the same town (Daggerfall) as I did before, but now my lowest drop is the mid 40's instead of low 30's. Since it does not use SLI, this is just one of the GPU's. I just don't get how the game can drop to low 30's at 1080p, but at 1440p it only drops to mid-40's.

I am sure there are driver issues that can be causing this, but I also know a lot of people with lesser rigs than mine have better performance for this game. So not sure what the hell is going on. But wanted to post the information in case anyone else wanted to try it, just remember that you have to set the desktop resolution or the game won't apply it like EVERY OTHER game does! :)

ACE 1991

I have a I7-3930k OC to 4.8, 2 GTX Titans OC as well. At 1080p with max settings everything, I get frame rate drops to the lower 30's at times. So tried down-sampling for the hell of it using 2560x1440p. But like other's have reported, for some reason the game lets you select the resolution, but does not apply. So I decided to change the desktop resolution to the to 1440p and then run the game and it finally allows it to display in 1440p, down sampled of course.

So running it at the 1440p down sample, I run through the same town (Daggerfall) as I did before, but now my lowest drop is the mid 40's instead of low 30's. Since it does not use SLI, this is just one of the GPU's. I just don't get how the game can drop to low 30's at 1080p, but at 1440p it only drops to mid-40's.

I am sure there are driver issues that can be causing this, but I also know a lot of people with lesser rigs than mine have better performance for this game. So not sure what the hell is going on. But wanted to post the information in case anyone else wanted to try it, just remember that you have to set the desktop resolution or the game won't apply it like EVERY OTHER game does! :)

I think you need to upgrade your rig.

This worked for SOME users in the subreddit:

"SLI works fine, you just need to set alternate frame rendering to 2 in the nvidia drivers" and "SET GPUSmoothingFrames "10" --------> SET GPUSmoothingFrames "0" in the Documents -> Elder Scrolls Online -> Live -> usersettings.txt"

Some users it helped, some it caused a weird FPS cap. It seems it's a driver/hardware mix. Anyway, no harm trying it.

Also, IGN put up a new preview updated that I missed:

A word about the public dungeons themselves: a few people have told me that they don't feel "heroic" enough, but I actually see that as one of these dungeons’ strengths. Most of the time you're not fighting some evil warlord who's enslaving the population of the surrounding countryside; instead, you're clearing out bandits who occupied some dark elf's kwama mine. It's less Lord of the Rings, more Seven Samurai. It's also more Elder Scrolls. Public dungeons, usually unconnected to any other story arc, are meant to evoke these experiences, and I believe they pull it off well.

It's important to note that neither these boss fights in the open world nor the bosses in public dungeons ever really suffer from the full-on swarm mentality you find in a game like Guild Wars 2. A group of eight or 10 players might be enough to minimize the challenge to a laughable degree, but it's also the largest group of random players working together I believe I've ever seen outside of PvP. Most of the time, I'm only playing with three to five other players in these formally ungrouped adventures, which means I'm still aware of actions of specific other players and their ability to help or harm me. Here, as in the regular dungeons, complementary abilities like my Soul Tether come into their own and save virtual lives.

[E]xperience, I've learned, is a greater draw than loot or crafting mats, and ZeniMax appears to have hit on a formula that should keep players – or me, at least – coming back to these things for months to come. After taking 56 hours to reach level 35, I'm certainly eager for every little scrap of experience I can find.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/31/the-elder-scrolls-online-review?page=1

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Is that a real screenshot, or a photoshopped one?
It's real. 640x480 full screen, disabled/decreased every "effect" that was in the configuration file, and increased the mipmap skipping to 10 (will see how far it goes).

basefree

What the hell happened to this game? It's nothing like the beta at all, its actually good! I swore I wasn't going to bother with this on retail, but you guys influenced my partner and I to buy this on impulse. Impressive what they did to turn this around so much.

Rootbeer

Banned
running really well on my home pc (nothing special... i720, GTX 570 SC, 6GB ram... yeah i'm due for a new machine this year hopefully), but more importantly... running surprisingly good on my rMBP late 2013 15" with discreet graphics... the mac client is actually fairly good!! I'm so happy about that.

It's things like that which could keep me subbing for more than just 2 or so months

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Signed up for the XBox One closed beta -- I hope I get in whenever they decide to run the beta.

With that said, I could have chosen the PS4 version but for some reason I still prefer playing multiplayer games on XBox One. I hope both versions are popular though. That's the only thing I'm kinda wary of with getting the console version of this game. My PC can't run this game and I would prefer playing with a controller anyway.

anyone having trouble logging in? says your login information is incorrect when my login IS correct.

Did you have Early Access? If so, that just ended, so if you only registered the Early Access and haven't either A) Registered the full game code set your subscription preference (If you bought it from a third party) or B) go to their account page to just set your subscription preference (if you bought it from Zenimax's site) then it won't let you in. You have to set the preferences to have the game see your account as valid again.

xexon

Banned

That is weird, I have a similiar build but I have 1 amd 7970 as a gpu and I get 60-100 fps everywhere.

Hawk269

Signed up for the XBox One closed beta -- I hope I get in whenever they decide to run the beta.

With that said, I could have chosen the PS4 version but for some reason I still prefer playing multiplayer games on XBox One. I hope both versions are popular though. That's the only thing I'm kinda wary of with getting the console version of this game. My PC can't run this game and I would prefer playing with a controller anyway.

Where do you signup for the Xbox One Beta?

Lucifon

Just had a good few hours in the game and I'm really enjoying it. Great to chat to some Gaffers too on the EU guild, we're closing in on enough players for the Guild Shop :)

If you play it like a TES game it's significantly more enjoyable. Taking your time, enjoying the world, listening to all the dialogue and quest text etc. The quests are genuinely interesting with some neat little stories going on. Surprised how much more fun I'm having with it than the beta, which for the record I really didn't enjoy whatsoever.

Ricker

There is something so awesome about the light that comes from the skyshards. I don't know what it is.

It even looks better when it gives you a skill point ;)...man that first instance,even though they toned it down a bit from beta,Fungal Grotto,is a real wake up call if you go in there lower then level 12 with no real tank or healer lol...so many wipes.

demonkaze

Got some more of the Lv 20-25 dungeons done today with @chronostear and @Chrill (still need to remember names and not account names) and it went pretty well, one bugged quest aside. Really digging the dungeons and starting to get more of a feel on my build now.

On another note, we're now up to 32 guild members for the EU guild, which surprised me because I was fearing not many people would pick this up, word of mouth (and the positive impressions of this thread) seem to be helping the game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Grrr... I wish this game did suck. Hearing the good vibes makes the mmo fan in me want to jump in.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can anyone comment on how this runs on a 2013 15" Retina MBP with 750M under OSX?

imtehman

Banned
Grrr... I wish this game did suck. Hearing the good vibes makes the mmo fan in me want to jump in.

its a great game bro. If you enjoyed skyrim you will enjoy this even more. The world is amazing, the quests are memorable, theres twists in the quests that have you like, oh shit just got real.

HowZatOZ

Banned
It's the console build :p

Jokes aside. Any Australian / Oceanic GAF'ers playing at the moment? Is latency a serious a problem, considering it's an action MMO?

I personally want to PVP when I hit max level, and I'm wondering how restrictive it is with 200-300ms. I already have a feeling that's just not realistic, and that I should avoid this...but I'm hoping to hear otherwise.
I live in Brisbane on Telstra 100mbps cable and so far I haven't noticed anything severe in terms of latency lag. Only once or twice has my transitioning to a new area taken an extra few seconds, but it isn't actually that bad compared to the many other action MMOs out there.

This and WildStar have done some really wizard like stuff to ensure everyone gets a great experience, no matter your location. In saying that though, EU is currently not on its local database, instead located in NA as well but that's expected to change shortly. Interestingly the deva did mention Oceanic players in a previous developer blog, so we might just get a local shard in the future.

Combat has been perfect for me, I average about 180ms and I've gone Temple paladin. Healing has been fine and haven't had any issues, and PvP was a blast, my guild was able to capture a lumber Mill!

Hey, decided to get this on a whim last night- really glad I did. Currently a lvl 6 Dark Elf Sorcerer.

Anyone want to shoot me an invite for the NA guild? ID @Archaeopteryx

Thanks!

HowZatOZ

Banned
So I've been playing for a good few days now, hit level 16 and went through Grotto as a healer which was really fun, though I seem to have the worse luck with loot drops. So far though, this game has really changed my earlier opinion and I'm having such a blast, really reminds me of old school WoW when I was infatuated and couldn't stop playing.

At this time I've only found a few complaints/suggestions and hopefully the next few patches take a look at these, but overall the game is really well polished. I love the minimalist UI, and totally understand other people's needs for huge info but for me what is there is enough. I have only three addons currently running (spam filter, xp bar enhancement and lootui) and they do me just fine in terms of making things understandable.

Suggestion: Make guild stores more public. Don't implement an AH as I like the idea of guild's dictating what is available to buy outside of zone chat, but having it be a bit more public for those who may not want to join a trade guild wouldn't hurt. This could be through a NPC in main cities that just hooks into all guild stores, and buying an item returns tax to that respective guild so as to not ruin any functional side.

Other suggestions are more fluff stuff, like armour dying, being able to see what gear looks like before putting it on, shift+clicking to link gear into chat, trade chat separate of zone chat, training dummies, separate bank space that holds material for crafting (similar to GW2), proper item stacking and better item management in bank/inventory through searching names and filter by type.

Edit: The Argonian race is truly the best race.
3dc81b2ec9.jpg

Holy fuckballs, ESO support may be the worst customer support I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I'm sure they're swamped, but it's taken 5 separate support requests so far, none of them successful, to try and resolve one god damned thing. Through email, I get copypasted pages from their Help Guide form replies, even more infuriatingly from the "Department" the call got forwarded to strictly for dealing with this. Phone calls similarly petered out after assurances that it would be taken care of "shortly."

I feel so fucking frustrated right now. I can't find any way to initiate contact with them except through their single request form, and that's obviously not working great guns at the moment.

Ravijn

So I've been playing for a good few days now, hit level 16 and went through Grotto as a healer which was really fun, though I seem to have the worse luck with loot drops. So far though, this game has really changed my earlier opinion and I'm having such a blast, really reminds me of old school WoW when I was infatuated and couldn't stop playing.

At this time I've only found a few complaints/suggestions and hopefully the next few patches take a look at these, but overall the game is really well polished. I love the minimalist UI, and totally understand other people's needs for huge info but for me what is there is enough. I have only three addons currently running (spam filter, xp bar enhancement and lootui) and they do me just fine in terms of making things understandable.

Suggestion: Make guild stores more public. Don't implement an AH as I like the idea of guild's dictating what is available to buy outside of zone chat, but having it be a bit more public for those who may not want to join a trade guild wouldn't hurt. This could be through a NPC in main cities that just hooks into all guild stores, and buying an item returns tax to that respective guild so as to not ruin any functional side.

Other suggestions are more fluff stuff, like armour dying, being able to see what gear looks like before putting it on, shift+clicking to link gear into chat, trade chat separate of zone chat, training dummies, separate bank space that holds material for crafting (similar to GW2), proper item stacking and better item management in bank/inventory through searching names and filter by type.

Edit: The Argonian race is truly the best race.

The question is though...

DID you bring moisture?

Here's one I found....(Click for bigger version)

Calcium

Banned
I played for like 4 hours straight today and didn't even realize it. This game really does suck you in and I'm loving it. I'm already thinking about what I'm going to get done tomorrow, I haven't played a game like this since vanilla WoW.

Wookieomg

You know you cannot resist! Give in!

Seriously though... It's worth running through the story alone.

Man... I'm just really on the fence. The price of admission is really effing steep. :/ The impressions here are definitely making me second-guess my initial stance though.. The exploration aspect really appeals to me. Always liked the Elder Scrolls universe. Hrrrrrmmmmm.

Giggzy

Man... I'm just really on the fence. The price of admission is really effing steep. :/ The impressions here are definitely making me second-guess my initial stance though.. The exploration aspect really appeals to me. Always liked the Elder Scrolls universe. Hrrrrrmmmmm.

Dooo it!!! Stop playing D3 like I have and come play this :D

Ravijn

There's still a 20% off voucher at Green Man Gaming. You could get it on the cheap there. $48 for the standard edition.

Here's the code to sway you - 8KM88H-PPN6L5-SJ9GRU

KePoW

Banned
Holy fuckballs, ESO support may be the worst customer support I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I'm sure they're swamped, but it's taken 5 separate support requests so far, none of them successful, to try and resolve one god damned thing. Through email, I get copypasted pages from their Help Guide form replies, even more infuriatingly from the "Department" the call got forwarded to strictly for dealing with this. Phone calls similarly petered out after assurances that it would be taken care of "shortly."

I feel so fucking frustrated right now. I can't find any way to initiate contact with them except through their single request form, and that's obviously not working great guns at the moment.

What exactly is your issue?

Top Bottom