• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
I wish there was a way to click on the cast bar rather than use the action keys. Targeting multiple enemies is very difficult for me when trying to use the number keys.

theosi

How did this game go from being pretty universally shat on during beta to being so hyped with retail? What changed so drastically?

I had ZERO interest after hearing beta impressions and now I'm fighting the urge to buy it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Where do you signup for the Xbox One Beta?

I did it here:

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/beta

It lets you choose Xbox One, PS4, or both.

Also, one thing I've been wondering - does the story have a beginning, middle, and end or is it a continuous story with no actual ending? I would rather the former so I can still feel a sense of completion for when I decide to take a break from the game assuming I get it.

Ravijn

How did this game go from being pretty universally shat on during beta to being so hyped with retail? What changed so drastically?

I had ZERO interest after hearing beta impressions and now I'm fighting the urge to buy it.

The beta test that everyone played was about 2-3 builds behind the real one. Probably a bad idea to do that but word of mouth now seems to be fixing that problem.

Then again.... it was a stress test only.

I really didn't like the beta but here I am playing the Imperial Edition. :)

theosi

The beta test that everyone played was about 2-3 builds behind the real one. Probably a bad idea to do that but word of mouth now seems to be fixing that problem.

Then again.... it was a stress test only.

I really didn't like the beta but here I am playing the Imperial Edition. :)

Thanks, that explains the sudden surge of hype. I'm not going to be able to hold out long :(

Arksy

You know, I slagged this game pretty badly. I thought this game was going to be the world's biggest MMO train wreck. Bigger than FFXIV. I took the mickey and laughed whenever someone posted something bad about it.

The thing is, I bought this game for a reason that I'm not quite sure of yet, and I'm really really enjoying myself.

This game has the best questing mechanics and the best quests of any MMO I've seen to date (aside from maybe TSW).

That's not to say other games don't have awesome quests, they do from time to time but the consistency of quests in this game coupled with the fact that you have to actually explore around to find them makes them fantastic.

I love the way that some quests change and they're not all so straight forward.

I love the open air dungeons and I love the phasing that goes on.

All in all I've done a complete 180 on this game.

llotus

Neo Member
Does anyone know if you can get a refund from Green Man Gaming?

Today was the breaking point for me with this game. I am so utterly disappointed in what I have seen and played that I cannot continue. It's a shame I wasted the money on this game but luckily it came before the 30 days ran out.

Anyone here very familiar with GMG?

SRTtoZ

People ragged on this game because:

1) it has a monthly sub. Don't ask me why it gets hate while ff14 gets praised because of the payment model. I own and like both games btw.

2) people saw a video from the alpha build and pretty much dismissed the game entirely. Then the beta rolls around and starts to look significantly better and better with each build.

This is a very solid MMO. Too bad I can't play it more often because D3 is taking up more of my time.

Is the imperial edition worth getting?

Depends how much free time you have. I liked the imp edition because you essentially get a mount for free (although travel doesn't seem too cumbersome in this game) and you unlock imperials. If you're a pretty dedicated MMOer, the 17.5k required for a mount shouldn't require much grunt work.

Imperials are cool, but it's not like they're the best race in the game or anything. They do have some nice racials for melee, but, again, it's not a huge difference.

Personally, I upgraded my standard to an imp after I saw how much fun I was having with the game. Because I don't have too much time to dabble in commerce/crafting, and because i'm a huge fan of imps, I upgraded.

ZeroEdge

Dammit GAF, you always do this to me...I wasn't going to by this I didn't like BETA yet here I am Sunday night level 9 and questing in ESO ...lol I assume there is a GAF Guild as always , can some one link me info etc ?

imtehman

Banned

the beta was riddled with problems so i'm sure frustration had a lot to do with it

Guys,

I am going to go out on a limb and say that my 2 hours of ESO PvP is giving me CRAZY DAoC vibes. Take that for what you will.

For Hibernia, bitches.

imtehman

Banned
Dammit GAF, you always do this to me...I wasn't going to by this I didn't like BETA yet here I am Sunday night level 9 and questing in ESO ...lol I assume there is a GAF Guild as always , can some one link me info etc ?

just post your account @whatever and someone will add u

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

I don't want to pay $60 and monthly for this. My resolve has been weakening, I just wish this thread would stop getting bumped but I guess that makes me part of the problem now :(

Guys,

I am going to go out on a limb and say that my 2 hours of ESO PvP is giving me CRAZY DAoC vibes. Take that for what you will.

For Hibernia, bitches.

well, there's probably a reason for that.. a lot of the people that made DAoC work for Zenimax online..

SRTtoZ

I don't want to pay $60 and monthly for this. My resolve has been weakening, I just wish this thread would stop getting bumped but I guess that makes me part of the problem now :(

Just think of it like buying any regular new release. You get the full game and a month to play, if you get 40-50 hours out of it then that's more than most games.

well, there's probably a reason for that.. a lot of the people that made DAoC work for Zenimax online..

shocked-will-smith.gif

Did not know that!

Ravijn

I posted a 20% off Green Man Gaming code a page or two back if you want to save some money.

ZeroEdge

just post your account @whatever and someone will add u

Cool cool, if there is room can some one toss @Zeroedge78 an invite.

Also so before now I've not read up on guilds in this game or much of it as I didn't like it in BETA but is GAF guild only in one area or do we have guilds all over or does it matter can you be in any guild regardless of your alliance?

Arksy

Despite really enjoying this game, I still feel like the whole experience needs a very significant amount of spit and polish, the combat still feels rougher than it should.

I just hope Zenimax are dedicated to ironing out kinks and making the whole experience smoother and a lot more polished. If they do I really think this could turn into something special.

Rizzi

I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.
The crafting system seems cool. Not sure how to get more plans or recipes though.

SZips

Sorry to bother but if I could snag an invite to the NA/US guild that would be awesome.

My ID is: @SZips

I'm guessing that's all that's needed for the invite? If you need a character name instead, just let me know.

Ravijn

would anyone please explain why there's no AH system again? It's growing more baffling by the minute

They are trying to be different from every other MMO?

You can sell stuff in your guild(s) bank/store. It's sort of like an auction house.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
They are trying to be different from every other MMO?

You can sell stuff in your guild(s) bank/store. It's sort of like an auction house.
theres' pros and cons to an auction house, i personally love htat there is no auction house system.

look what AH did to diablo 3

yeah different doesn't always mean better though. I love the accessibility of a simple AH, not sure why they couldn't have found a middle ground

Var

yeah different doesn't always mean better though. I love the accessibility of a simple AH, not sure why they couldn't have found a middle ground

I think the Guild Store is their idea of a middle ground. We just unlocked it though, so I don't know how good of replacement it is going to be.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I think the Guild Store is their idea of a middle ground. We just unlocked it though, so I don't know how good of replacement it is going to be.

Yeah, it's best to join more guilds with a large amount of people so that you have more options though.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
My only gripe thus far is the New Zealand payment model.

Instead of charging us in Australian Dollars or USD, they womp us with Euro conversion (what the ****?), making a monthly sub shoot to $21 +/- a few cents (where $15 USD is about $17 NZD, and AUD is even cheaper).

Is this because of Lord of the Rings ZOS?
Are you mad because we have Hobbits?

Alur

Are you exploring at all? A lot of smaller sidequests are tucked away in cities, and larger quests you come across while exploring the zones. I'm willing to bet you're missing a whole mess of quests you only get through stumbling upon them in the zones. If you only take the main quests and whatever you find in cities, you're missing out on a lot.

I've explored everywhere I can go freely without getting more or less insta-gibbed.

I was level 16 by the time I left Auridon and headed towards Grahtwood. Methinks you missed many, many quests.

I know you're gonna be on a character 15-16 before leaving Auridon. I'm saying somewhere in the 8-10 range it's dried up for me. I've got quests, I just don't have quests that are level appropriate. As I'm AD and not EP like the rest of GAF it's a bit of an issue finding folks to play with unfortunately. I did finally hit level 10, though, which made a few of the quests I had saved up doable now.

I was not aware that you could/should do multiple guilds' quests though.

Also hop in and PvP a little bit, make sure to do the kill 20 players daily (join a group, every single person the group kills counts towards your quest) and you'll get decent xp. Join the Wabbajack or Auriel's Bow campaign as your home, don't lock in to any of the rest--these are the only two closely balanced and populated campaigns that I know of.

I went into Auriel's Bow and we literally owned the entire zone late late last night (3AM CST I believe). I never saw a sole from the opposing factions the entire time I was there so I left.

Should I just basically transport to the farthest front and group up and go find some enemies? I also didn't see any quests at the main base besides gathering certain items a-la Alterac Valley...granted I didn't give it an in depth look quest-wise as it was 3AM.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Guild stores are there middle ground. You have to remember this is Elder Scrolls, not World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV. An AH is quite questionable because why would people be heading to one central location to hoist their items up? A guild store makes more sense because of the more guild-orientated experience and because guilds are so common in Elder Scrolls lore.

Sure, it is somewhat annoying but I'm fine with it for now. It will need some polish and tweaks to make it better, but the fact you can join up with five guilds means you don't really miss out on much, and there are already very centralised guilds running right now between factions.

Also I agree with the past poster that suggested this is good, but it needs more polish/spit. I'm loving my experience so far and have had a blast, something that has been missing since the early days of WoW for me. However, there are some changes that need to be looked at, and of course bugs and fixes. Going back to guild stores, I'd like to see a more centred experience, in that guild stores still function like they are but listed on a more global scale that doesn't require you to join guilds.

Think of it like an AH, but in the context of Elder Scrolls. Everyone still gets their tax cuts etc, but it allows people to search at ease and more variation. Also we sorely need more bank space (either split it into crafting material sections or increase slots) and better filtering - I'd like to search by name and have the filters work properly.

Does anyone know if you can get a refund from Green Man Gaming?

Today was the breaking point for me with this game. I am so utterly disappointed in what I have seen and played that I cannot continue. It's a shame I wasted the money on this game but luckily it came before the 30 days ran out.

Anyone here very familiar with GMG?
If you complain enough I have heard you can receive a refund, but it will be difficult due to you activating the product already. Only one of my friends in our group of 14 is not playing ESO, and he was able to secure a refund from GMG so it seems possible.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Guild stores are there middle ground. You have to remember this is Elder Scrolls, not World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV. An AH is quite questionable because why would people be heading to one central location to hoist their items up? A guild store makes more sense because of the more guild-orientated experience and because guilds are so common in Elder Scrolls lore.

Sure, it is somewhat annoying but I'm fine with it for now. It will need some polish and tweaks to make it better, but the fact you can join up with five guilds means you don't really miss out on much, and there are already very centralised guilds running right now between factions.

Also I agree with the past poster that suggested this is good, but it needs more polish/spit. I'm loving my experience so far and have had a blast, something that has been missing since the early days of WoW for me. However, there are some changes that need to be looked at, and of course bugs and fixes. Going back to guild stores, I'd like to see a more centred experience, in that guild stores still function like they are but listed on a more global scale that doesn't require you to join guilds.

Think of it like an AH, but in the context of Elder Scrolls. Everyone still gets their tax cuts etc, but it allows people to search at ease and more variation. Also we sorely need more bank space (either split it into crafting material sections or increase slots) and better filtering - I'd like to search by name and have the filters work properly.

If you complain enough I have heard you can receive a refund, but it will be difficult due to you activating the product already. Only one of my friends in our group of 14 is not playing ESO, and he was able to secure a refund from GMG so it seems possible.

that sounds like a good idea, hopefully they'll do something similar in the future; I' m not against being in a guild, love questing and chatting with other peeps, but also love being able to sell my wares and crafts whenever I want to

llotus

Neo Member

Yea that's kind of what I figured. Like once the cdkeys were active that is pretty much a done deal right there.

lem0n

Has anyone else been charged $15 from this game yet? I just got a charge from them today. I was under the impression the first month was included in the price?? What the fuck?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Has anyone else been charged $15 from this game yet? I just got a charge from them today. I was under the impression the first month was included in the price?? What the fuck?
Authentication charge to ensure the source of payment is valid. It will disappear after a few days but still not cool that it's $15.

fuzzyset

that sounds like a good idea, hopefully they'll do something similar in the future; I' m not against being in a guild, love questing and chatting with other peeps, but also love being able to sell my wares and crafts whenever I want to

I kinda like the RP behind the guild store. I joined a "trading" guild today basically to have access to their store. It fits well with the Elder Scrolls lore. I haven't gone too far into crafting but it seems fairly deep to where people who are good crafters could drive a decent guild store.

What do you guys think about the staying power of the game? Is the PvP as good as what people expected?

Honestly, it's hard to say.

On the PvE end, it's really unknown how much longevity there will be with endgame encounters.

On the PvP side, people have been saying great things. Again, things are still too new to really foresee the longevity for pvp.

All I can say is that it seems this game has the makings for great staying power.

Top Bottom