• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

So uhhh..anyone find these popping up random places? Seen about 2 or 3 of them o_O

0EX4Hls.png

How did this game go from being pretty universally shat on during beta to being so hyped with retail? What changed so drastically?

I had ZERO interest after hearing beta impressions and now I'm fighting the urge to buy it.

Prejudices against traditionally single player game turned MMO.

ESO is a lot more Skyrim and unique from other MMOs than most people think. It has problems, but it isn't the usual WoW clone.

So I didn't realize that armors could be different colors, depending on level. The badass Argonion medium armor I was dying to craft, from when I played the first beta and found it as loot? At the higher level I'm at now (12), it's fucking pink instead of black.

I like pink as a color, but man does it look terrible on my Khajiit. I look like a pink nightmare.

Just need to get through another 1.5 levels and I can ditch it for something better. Quite annoyed the game doesn't communicate that through the icons.

Ok guys give it to me straight. As a player who loves challenging MMO's I didn't like ESO's beta and I tried almost every single iteration throughout. I got serious GW2, neverwinter Social MMO vibes off this. The combat felt like it lacked depth and complexity, and I'm worried about end game PVE content. Are my fears unfounded? Or does this share more DNA with old school mmo's than I'm giving it credit for?

Lucifon

so tempted can get this for 25 pounds as well

CDkeys.com? Go for it! That's who I used, it came with the explorer's pack too.

It's pretty ridiculous how the beta monkey pet reward and explorer's pack content is for 1 character... I created a new character and can't access those items on him, completely dumb.

Baskcm

It's pretty ridiculous how the beta monkey pet reward and explorer's pack content is for 1 character... I created a new character and can't access those items on him, completely dumb.

yeah chomping for a new mmo challenge

HowZatOZ

Banned
What do you guys think about the staying power of the game? Is the PvP as good as what people expected?
With the way people have turned 180 on this game from actually trying it and experiencing the gameplay, I could easily see this going the long yards. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn looks to have some strong legs and I didn't quite like that, so why not Elder Scrolls Online?

The PvE is phenomenal, and I'm having an absolute blast which is something I haven't had for awhile now. I've really missed that feeling of absolute awe when riding around, and discovering new things and just being swept up into the game's story. I've never felt likes fights are a bore, or that I'm hitting my head against any incompetent combat or enemies. I'm so very eager to jump back into the game each day, its such an addictive feeling.

PvP-wise, that will be harder to tell. From the short moments I got to jump in during my press beta week, it was fun, but not enough people to truly shine. From what I have seen, it looks exactly like DAOC and Warhammer, which I absolutely loved and cherished. Those two game's had the best PvP, though one of them had the misery of being joined with terrible PvE. In ESO, it has both fronts covered very well, obviously though there are still fixes and changes in need.

Honestly, if you had of asked me last week, I would have laughed and said this game will fail miserably and be free-to-play in six months. Now, I can see it going strong with a good few million, and with consoles joining in soon it will surely grow. There is so much potential for this game due to the lore background, so I am really excited to see where it goes. It also nailed the Elder Scrolls single-player feel, and that is something that will definitely set it apart from many other MMOs to come.

Still don't see why anyone would play this over Guild Wars 2 unless you're a big Elder Scrolls buff.
It is far, far different of a beast to Guild Wars 2. In Guild Wars 2 classes are pre-defined, and skills are sorely lacking in interest. I never once was like "wow, that was awesome" when I clicked a button, nor did I ever feel like I had true customisation like ESO gives (which original GW had funny enough). As small as it sounds, five skills that are fully customisable (later to 10 at 15) is far more fun than the eight skills in GW2 that are barely interchangeable. This of course is all opinions, and I'd never discourage someone from trying out GW2, it is a fantastic game for what it is, but ESO is definitely not like GW2 in any way besides being a MMORPG.

hepburn3d

Still don't see why anyone would play this over Guild Wars 2 unless you're a big Elder Scrolls buff.

For me it's visuals. There are some amazing views sometimes. It's pretty amazing seeing the sun rise, with the god rays highlighting people in battle. I love exploring and stumbling across a skyshard. They're sometimes hard to find but when someone accesses one you get massive camera flare on your screen from where its coming from. Then you see a flurry of people running to it :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
does anyone use that multiple quest mod and know if you can move it on the screen? its almost in the middle of the screen for me instead of to the right :/

Finally another person who's used CDKeys.com!

I used them for Titanfall, getting it cheaper than anywhere else at just £25.99! And I just bought this last night for £25.90! Got my code straight away. Great little site!

Lucifon

does anyone use that multiple quest mod and know if you can move it on the screen? its almost in the middle of the screen for me instead of to the right :/

I use Wykkyd's Quest Tools and that can just be dragged by clicking and holding from the top of the little box, so it could be similar?

I used them for Titanfall, getting it cheaper than anywhere else at just £25.99! And I just bought this last night for £25.90! Got my code straight away. Great frickin site!

I'm a big fan of theirs so far. Been absolutely flawless for everything I've got from them, great prices, and very happy to see them starting to build out a PC range.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

I used them for Titanfall, getting it cheaper than anywhere else at just £25.99! And I just bought this last night for £25.90! Got my code straight away. Great frickin site!

kinguin is better. it's on sale there at £25.03!
haha, jk. both are brilliant. But kinguin has Miss Kinguin contest, so I can also watch game birds sending their pictures and stuff

Jord

Just wanted to post and say how much I'm loving this! I'm a veteran WoW so this is totally different for me, but the quests are so good - the game is really engaging and immersive, the atmosphere is spot on, I can't wait to get home from work and start playing.

My only regret is that I wish I'd bought it on Friday so I had all weekend to play :)

I got a key from Simplycdkeys for £26.

I would love to join the EU guild if anyone cares to add me - @Zedlock

Fuz

Banned

I want to say that I bought (at launch) and enjoyed gw2 a lot.
But it has problems.
The shop and their money selling is one of them.
The extreme farming due to the ascended items introduction. The farming is insane, for everything, in a game that promised NO farming at all.
Diminish returns on EVERYTHING.
Also gw2 has boring classes, for me.
sPvP is really bad (but I hate the "jeux-sans-frontiers" type of pvp since WoW) and unbalanced.
And... gw2 wvwvw sucks. Maps too small, keeps too easy to take, you can't do anything but zerg. I was expecting a similar experience as DAoC, but it's really not.

My love for gw2 is over, and so far I'm having fun with ESO.

SmoothCB

This game runs great on my late 2013 macbook pro 13 (2.6 8gb ram)--everything at least medium with some options on high. I'm playing in 1080p on my tv.

Also, for those looking to play in China, it seems to work best through VPN.

Zafir

Ya kinguin, cdkeys and simply cd keys are all doing the same thing. Buying keys cheap from other regions and thus can offer us better prices. I got the imperial edition from Nuuvem for £38 which is miles cheaper than here(55 from gmg with a code).

I'm a big fan of theirs so far. Been absolutely flawless for everything I've got from them, great prices, and very happy to see them starting to build out a PC range.

Definitely. They seem to be doing great so far. Very good and immediate customer service on their facebook page too!

kinguin is better. it's on sale there at £25.03!
haha, jk. both are brilliant. But kinguin has Miss Kinguin contest, so I can also watch game birds sending their pictures and stuff

Bahaha! :)

I applied a 5% off code and it said it would cost around £24.60...but now I've checked how much I paid and it didn't seem to go through or maybe I redid the transaction? Either way great prices. I actually googled that site you mentioned since I'd never heard it before. I'll try using them as well.

Wulfegang

Is anyone else having an issue with downsampling? When I try to set a custom resolution of 2560x1440 on my desktop the aiming reticule floats. Everything works fine if I run at native 1920x1080, but anything at 1440p or higher makes the floating come back. I also notice the resolution option in Video Settings is blank and doesn't have 2560x1440 listed. I have tried Fullscreen as well as Maximized and do not have this problem in any other game. I am running an EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Dual SuperClocked 4GB.

ESO floating crosshairs issue

Volimar

Go to Cyrodil and do the sieging tutorial. You'll get a skill point for doing it. I joined a campaign, but had no idea what I was doing. Went to a fort that was under attack, but the fight was over by the time I got there.

I played DAoC and the PvP in that game was loads of fun, lightyears better than "zone in, kill some people, die, zone back in, rinse/repeat" in WoW's AV/AB/WG 'arena style' combat.

I really liked lurking around the choke points (gates, valleys) in the frontier in DAoC as an archer or infiltrator and murder lone passersby that weren't on their guard. Carelessness meant a swift death, and it was great. Damn True Sight to hell though.

If they're smart they will carry over that PvP style to ESO. It sounds like they're already primed for it with the 3 factions and everything. It's just too bad about that $15/mo though. $5/mo I could maybe stomach, but $15/mo is just too much these days with so many games to play.

Fuz

Banned
I really liked lurking around the choke points (gates, valleys) in the frontier in DAoC as an archer or infiltrator and murder lone passersby that weren't on their guard. Carelessness meant a swift death, and it was great. Damn True Sight to hell though.

Did exactly the same, played mostly alone as a spy for the realm.

It was fantastic.

Handy Fake

I think I might have cracked it I turned off all my anti virus seems to be downloading the patch I've nipped out so ill see how it is when I get it

Aye, I just had a quick shufti about and that was going to be my next suggestion - apparently it stalls when it can't get the patch downloading, haha.

Top Bottom