• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Lucifon

Edit - Hmm my EsoheadMarkers are showing Skyshards as uncollected for ones which I have collected. Has the patch bugged out the add-on? Anyone else suffering from this?

Actually, it looks like the patch reset other stuff too. Has anyone else encountered this? My keybinds have reset, all of my UI add-on settings have all reset too...

Question for those who know.

When the console versions are released will I be able to login using my existing account, or will I be required to dish out another $15 a month?

docbon

I would love to see their rendition of Mehrune Dagon's Deadlands.

Greetings from the Deadlands.

m8C2U30.png

So I got the game from target as part of the buy 2, get 1 free promotion and it's trying to get me to sign up for a month of game time? It comes with a free month right so I shouldn't have to pay for one? What do I do?

docbon

So I got the game from target as part of the buy 2, get 1 free promotion and it's trying to get me to sign up for a month of game time? It comes with a free month right so I shouldn't have to pay for one? What do I do?

There's a $15 pre-authorization when you put in your info that will temporarily show up as a pending charge on your account. The first actual charge occurs after your first month subscription expires. Why it isn't $1-2 like every other MMO in history is a mystery, but it is what it is.

edit: beaten above

Am I crazy, or are weapons tiny as hell in this? Especially 2 handed weapons, noticed my friends two handed axe looked like a toy, the axe head was the size or smaller than his characters head...

There's a $15 pre-authorization when you put in your info that will temporarily show up as a pending charge on your account. The first actual charge occurs after your first month subscription expires. Why it isn't $1-2 like every other MMO in history is a mystery, but it is what it is.

Weird, used to putting my card in but not a whole month of game time preauthorization.

Bummer the intro cutscene is so compressed, really wish companies wouldn't make their cinematics look so terrible.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Am I crazy, or are weapons tiny as hell in this? Especially 2 handed weapons, noticed my friends two handed axe looked like a toy, the axe head was the size or smaller than his characters head...

they are yeah

Weird, used to putting my card in but not a whole month of game time preauthorization.

Bummer the intro cutscene is so compressed, really wish companies wouldn't make their cinematics look so terrible.

I couldn't believe it, it looked like complete ass. What excuse is there to have that as the first thing people see? It's 2014, I can go on YouTube and watch a 1080p video of someone playing the game that looks 100x better. A shame too, because the game is quite pretty at times.

Giggzy

balls selected wrong faction to the eu guild

I did the same on the NA guild, although it seems pretty evenly matched in our guild. I see a good number of all three factions.

I'm not 109% sure but I think I read you can change factions at max level? Not sure how though

docbon

It doesn't seem too tiny to me. And it's certainly bigger than my head, haha.

Does make me wonder if a weapon's size scales with the size of your character.

Might I get a NA guild invite? Either Ricola Suave or ricochetguro

Also. lol at "Press Not Bound to see Social Menu" being the first thing I see.

And it's a good thing.

FINALLY a mmo where equipment looks realistic (at least, more than usual), and not the crappy plastic toys we are used to.

I fear it won't last long.

If they stay true to the roots, outside of a few set pieces (looking at you Daedric), ES has a pretty timid and natural look to its armor and weapons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
And it's a good thing.

FINALLY a mmo where equipment looks realistic (at least, more than usual), and not the crappy plastic toys we are used to.

I fear it won't last long.

theres silly like wow, but I think elder scrolls (so far at least, maybe later it gets better) goes too far in the other direction. look at game of thrones, theres some good, big realistic weapons in that

HowZatOZ

Banned
Nah, gw2 is a totally different system. 5+5 skills and it's more dynamic.
Also the interface is pretty good.
I'd argue that Guild Wars 2 is far more limited in skill sets and choice of play than ESO, but I don't want to turn this thread into a he says she says argument because both games are great in their own respect.

So it seems my entire guild has decided to turn into werewolves, which I'm cool with but that kinda means we now have some quite large disadvantages in PvP due to werewolves being so weak to silver and the fighter's guild. Ah well, luckily you can reverse the effect if you get tired of it.

docbon

I'd argue that Guild Wars 2 is far more limited in skill sets and choice of play than ESO, but I don't want to turn this thread into a he says she says argument because both games are great in their own respect.

So it seems my entire guild has decided to turn into werewolves, which I'm cool with but that kinda means we now have some quite large disadvantages in PvP due to werewolves being so weak to silver and the fighter's guild. Ah well, luckily you can reverse the effect if you get tired of it.

Yeah, I think the werewolf / vampire stuff will die down once people get the monster hunting skills. Silver bolts and expert hunter alone will absolutely wreck them in combat.

edit: Unrelated, but holy shit am I tired of clearing a whole dungeon only to turn a corner and find upwards of 15 people sitting around the boss spawn. It's gotten so bad that I've given up trying to tag the mob for loot. I just get one shot in, get the achievement, and leave.

ahuffman

Banned
Man you guys are about to make me cave and pick this up, when I already have FFXIV ce coming in less than a week. Quick question, I see from reading the thread that this has a ton of content for those of us who like to solo. How difficult is the game for solo players? I like a challenge, but I also tend to get frustrated rather quickly.

docbon

Man you guys are about to make me cave and pick this up, when I already have FFXIV ce coming in less than a week. Quick question, I see from reading the thread that this has a ton of content for those of us who like to solo. How difficult is the game for solo players? I like a challenge, but I also tend to get frustrated rather quickly.

Depending on your build, and how you manage your crowd control abilities, it can range from challenging to super easy. Damage output from enemies is typically high though, so you can't make too many mistakes.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Yeah, I think the werewolf / vampire stuff will die down once people get the monster hunting skills. Silver bolts and expert hunter alone will absolutely wreck them in combat.

edit: Unrelated, but holy shit am I tired of clearing a whole dungeon only to turn a corner and find upwards of 15 people sitting around the boss spawn. It's gotten so bad that I've given up trying to tag the mob for loot. I just get one shot in, get the achievement, and leave.
See I haven't had any problems with large groups of people camping, even in Stonefalls (beginner area for Ebonheart). Maybe its because I'm usually on during Australian times, but all the public dungeons I cleared were really empty besides a select few, and even then they weren't being farmed that hard. I have a feeling the problem can also be contributed to bots, I've found a handful so far which is annoying but hey that's an MMO for ya.

Also armour/weapons get better in design the higher you go. I started crafting level 18 items and the armour looks so much better than the below 14 gear, and weapons look friggin awesome.

ahuffman

Banned
Depending on your build, and how you manage your crowd control abilities, it can range from challenging to super easy. Damage output from enemies is typically high though, so you can't make too many mistakes.

That makes sense, thanks. Do the enemy levels scale with you? Over leveling has helped me on ARR several times.

Hawk269

Still don't see why anyone would play this over Guild Wars 2 unless you're a big Elder Scrolls buff.

I know you made this comment a few pages back, but this thread has picked up speed in the last few days...

Ummm...no even close! I had and played GW2 and Elder Scrolls in my opinion is a far better game due to the quests and how good they are done. ES is basically like playing Skyrim with a ton of other people. I played a lot of MMO's, none of which have got me as hooked as ES has.

Giggzy

Yeah this game doesn't play much like GW2 at all in my opinion. My fiends got me to buy into the hype of GW2 but I didn't last longer than a few days of playing. Wasn't really my cup of tea and combat felt very floaty to me, if that makes sense.

I've been hooked on ESO though. Granted, I love elder scrolls lore.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I wish they would talk about the PS4/Xbox One version. We have not seen or heard anything on those versions.
It'll come in time. I have a feeling it won't be all that different from the PC version, though maybe with some slight decreases in quality for the Xbone version (PS4 will more than likely be high quality settings or maybe ultra). Its a June date, so I reckon we'll see something at E3 and maybe a release after coinciding with a big content patch.

I sorta understand separate characters, but a separate account and subscription?

WTF?

The console servers are entirely separated from the PC servers. There will (likely) be 6 "mega servers"

NA PC
NA PS4
NA XBO
EU PC
EU PS4
EU XBO

if they were asking for the same money again for you to connect to the same servers as PC players, I'd call BS too, but these are basically being handled as different games.

How many people are really going to want to play the game on both platforms when they can't play with their PC friends when they're on the PS4 or their PS4 friends when they're on PC?

demonkaze

For those trying to get into the eu guild, I won't be able to get on tonight but you can also try @chrill, @nerhtal (?) and @zephyr if any of them are online.

I thought I had no permissions for guild invites but guess not, I'll change it tomorrow so anyone can invite.

Hawk269

The console servers are entirely separated from the PC servers. There will (likely) be 6 "mega servers"

NA PC
NA PS4
NA XBO
EU PC
EU PS4
EU XBO

if they were asking for the same money again for you to connect to the same servers as PC players, I'd call BS too, but these are basically being handled as different games.

How many people are really going to want to play the game on both platforms when they can't play with their PC friends when they're on the PS4 or their PS4 friends when they're on PC?

I get that, but I wonder how they will handle it when some of us that play on the PC and will also get it on one of the consoles? I am not sure how they plan to implement it when the time comes, but I hope that they make it easy for users. In the end, I wish it would be just one account/one monthly payment regardless of platform, but I know that will not happen.

Google

I'm playing the same and having no trouble. What class did you start out as? Templar or Night blade?

I'm a Templar hunter. I open up with a critical strike, then sun fire to add a DoT and a snare (when it opened up to transform I made it so it affects nearby enemies too for an AoE snare) followed by poison arrow and the enemy is pretty much dead. Keep using the snare while kiting and dodging and you should be fine.

See, I just tried a thing.

I was an instance with me and another AI controller warrior dude. It was inside a building and I was up against 2 'assassins'. I died three times and they were level 4 against my level 7.

I've two Bow skills: Volley and Poison Arrow - what am I not doing? It was much easier with sword and shield...

Top Bottom