• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Fuz

Banned
Really loving the game but god damn I'm really struggling with inventory space even after upgrading my bag and bank twice. I suppose it didn't help that I ended up opening all of the maps that come with the explorers pack. I wish there was a way to put them back into the containers.

I feel your pain.
Inventory cluttering is really, really bad in this game.

Probably they want to promote trading instead of letting players gather stuff to eventually craft with it.

too bad I'm a pack rat and I like to keep old gear.

docbon

I feel your pain.

Probably they want to promote trading instead of letting players gather stuff to eventually craft with it.

Yeah, it seems to me like it's less of an oversight and more of a design decision. It takes a bit of adjusting to, after being spoiled by the material bank feature of GW2, though. So convenient~~

Rootbeer

Banned
GW2 got inventory and bank space RIGHT, it hurts trying to play any MMO that didn't learn from the strides it had made.

Hope they are listening.

Volimar

Things ESO needs:

Native controller support.

Quest(s) that give additional inventory space as rewards.

The ability to dye armor. A lot of it looks really ridiculous on, say, a black Khajiit.

The bonus maps and vanity pets should not take up inventory space.

Fuz

Banned
GW2 got inventory and bank space RIGHT, it hurts trying to play any MMO that didn't learn from the strides it had made.

Hope they are listening.

Agree. gw2 was quite convenient... too bad pve didn't had a wardrobe like pvp.

ReaperXL7

So for those of you playing would you rather pay money to play this, or FFXIV? I'm debating on if I want to re sub to FF, or put the cash to the side for when this hits PS4.

I'm not going to lie though, due to no cross play on this I am a bit concerned for how the player base is going to fare for this game on consoles. However I am a pretty big fan of TES and I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait for VI.

Hellers

So for those of you playing would you rather pay money to play this, or FFXIV? I'm debating on if I want to re sub to FF, or put the cash to the side for when this hits PS4.

I'm not going to lie though, due to no cross play on this I am a bit concerned for how the player base is going to fare for this game on consoles. However I am a pretty big fan of TES and I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait for VI.

I love FFXIV but at the moment I'm having a deep lovein with TESO. I think it's too early to call on which I prefer though. I agree that no cross play is very disappointing. I'm sure Sony at least would have been interested even if MS weren't. Actually why does MS even have that policy given Windows is their platform too?

I hope they don't get any nasty ideas like adding expanded inventories and bank space in the cash shop! That's fine in Guild Wars 2 but not in a subscription game.

ktynn

Banned
I gave up on the game, nothing beats WoW vanilla/pvp/pve for me and this game can't top it for me... The structure of MMO games needs to change; it's all so dated, professions, grinding, horrid storytelling & writing, and so on. Vindictus kind of understood this. I'd love to see some innovating development changes within the MMO/MOBA market - i mean, imagine a Dark Souls x Monster Hunter x Action RPG type of game :-O

hepburn3d

I love FFXIV but at the moment I'm having a deep lovein with TESO. I think it's too early to call on which I prefer though. I agree that no cross play is very disappointing. I'm sure Sony at least would have been interested even if MS weren't. Actually why does MS even have that policy given Windows is their platform too?

I'd guess from MS point of view, if they allowed PC to play with Xbox then the Xbox users would ask why they're charged for online access and PC isn't, among many other corporate reasons.

Hellers

I'd guess from MS point of view, if they allowed PC to play with Xbox then the Xbox users would ask why they're charged for online access and PC isn't, among many other corporate reasons.

That's where Sony have made a better decision with the PS4. Didn't they make it a developer choice if they wanted to require PS Plus for MMOs? Since MMOs won't really be using any of Sony's infrastructure that would seem a wise move. I'm surprised MS are so MMO hostile really.

hepburn3d

That's where Sony have made a better decision with the PS4. Didn't they make it a developer choice if they wanted to require PS Plus for MMOs? Since MMOs won't really be using any of Sony's infrastructure that would seem a wise move. I'm surprised MS are so MMO hostile really.

I wouldn't say they're MMO hostile. More Policy / Ecosystem protective. I can imagine the decision isn't "how would this be great for gamers?", more "how would this impact us and our revenue streams?".

Hellers

I wouldn't say they're MMO hostile. More Policy / Ecosystem protective. I can imagine the decision isn't "how would this be great for gamers?", more "how would this impact us and our revenue streams?".

The answer to that seems to be "Those revenue streams all seem to be heading Sony's way". I love the way FFXIV handles it but it'd be nice if control schemes and hotbar layouts were stored online. Apart from that everyone plays together.

Teletraan1

Banned
I gave up on the game, nothing beats WoW vanilla/pvp/pve for me and this game can't top it for me... The structure of MMO games needs to change; it's all so dated, professions, grinding, horrid storytelling & writing, and so on. Vindictus kind of understood this. I'd love to see some innovating development changes within the MMO/MOBA market - i mean, imagine a Dark Souls x Monster Hunter x Action RPG type of game :-O

Don't understand how some of your complaints apply to this game in particular. Grinding? Are we playing the same game? If you are grinding you are doing it 100% wrong. The structure is different enough from Wow that it feels fresh and like an online version of a newer TES game. The story telling in this is not Tolstoy but is not "horrid". To each is own. Enjoy vanilla wow. MMO gamers suffer from this a lot. Cant play another game because it doesn't live up to some rose colored vision of WoW or doesn't have a checklist of features that WoW has had almost a decade to build up. Its as silly as saying I cant play Dark Souls because Ocarina of Time was better. Different games, different experiences.

Zafir

To be fair to him, although I don't think it's terribly bad, you do end up being under levelled for the next area even after doing all quests thus requiring grinding.

To be fair to him, although I don't think it's terribly bad, you do end up being under levelled for the next area even after doing all quests thus requiring grinding.
Which area? I'm in Auridon, the 5-15 zone for AD, and I'm halfway to 14 with plenty of content (quests, dungeons, Banished Cells, etc.) left, with zero grinding. In fact, I've been almost anti-grinding and spending way too much time on item management.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I went to Deshaan, the second zone, at level 16 and didn't feel under-levelled at all. I guess if you rush the quests and don't bother exploring you'll probably come in low, but that's only if you play with the older MMO mentality. Just play this like Skyrim and you'll do fine.

I have to disagree massively with this statement. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to me WoW's vanilla PvP and PvE have been topped for me, by ESO. Looking back at WoW, it was rather outdated and is still outdated with a fair chunk of grinding, terrible questing and rather repetitive combat (that includes a fair amount of cookie cutter tactics). I feel like with ESO that Zenimax really shook off the shackles that other MMORPG's still have clasped to their hands, allowing players to truly explore the world at their own leisure and pace.

I haven't felt this excited about visiting new places or heading off to find a quest in ages, and its something I truly think only an Elder Scrolls game can do. Of course, in saying all the positives there are changes that I'd like to see such as working filters and search for banks, further UI enhancements and better bank management by moving crafting materials into their own space. However, the base game is far superior to any I have played in a good while, and this is what makes the game so good because these negligible negatives are far outweighed by the base game just being so enjoyable.

Wondering if you guys did the starting islands completely or missed some of the quests in the public dungeons? I'm currently level 13 and still have ~40% of the map left in Glenumbra to still do. Don't think I'll have issues getting 3 levels before the next zone.

Lucifon

Seems like if you try approach the game like a traditional MMO you won't enjoy it. But approaching it like a TES game, taking your time, exploring the environments, listening to all the dialogue and questlines, and people are loving it. That's my take away from it so far anyway, could be wrong but I feel this game shouldn't be approached like other MMOs to really enjoy it.

Wondering if you guys did the starting islands completely or missed some of the quests in the public dungeons? I'm currently level 13 and still have ~40% of the map left in Glenumbra to still do. Don't think I'll have issues getting 3 levels before the next zone.
Yeah, the actual starter zones are skipped now, and you get a quest to go back. If you skipped that content, you probably give up a level or two, as well as Skyshards and the like.

It's the one change from beta I still truly do not understand.

Huh? I was never behind transitioning through the first 3 areas, at worst a level behind. I'm just a level shy of the quests in the third area and I haven't even finished the 4 man dungeons. I probably missed a few hidden areas as well.

I also didn't bother to complete more than one anchor. Pretty sure progression is fine.

Kinda early to decide on that really.

I actually just came back to FFXIV for 2.2... and then on a whim played this game and I haven't even loaded XIV since the start of early access. The game feels pretty immersive, challenging, and fun. Once I hit end game I'll have a better idea of how much I want to keep playing. Until then I am liking the journey to cap much more than XIV and I liked leveling in XIV.

For me though. What makes or breaks a MMO is attention to future content. IF this next update comes out quickly and is of good quality. That's a big win in my book. This is what really hurt SWTOR before it went F2P, I think. It was really lacking in content after launch.

nynt9

Hope they are listening.

I'm getting this vibe on a lot of things in this game, it seems like the devs have been ignorant of many strides in MMO convenience that have been made in the past years.

Yeah, the actual starter zones are skipped now, and you get a quest to go back. If you skipped that content, you probably give up a level or two, as well as Skyshards and the like.

It's the one change from beta I still truly do not understand.

A lot of people hated the starting islands in beta because they felt too linear. People wanted it to be more like Skyrim / Oblivion where as soon as you get out of the story setup tutorial, you can go in whatever direction you want. So instead of dumping you on the tutorial islands now you start in the main city and are free to do as you please.

At least they moved the quest to go back to the islands to right outside the first door now, before it used to be on the docks with nothing telling you to go see them.

I'm getting this vibe on a lot of things in this game, it seems like the devs have been ignorant of many strides in MMO convenience that have been made in the past years.
Then again. I'm convinced ANet are some kind of group of demonic sorcerors. The things they do to GW2 are mind blowing really. A lot of innovative stuff happening there.

Fuz

Banned
Then again. I'm convinced ANet are some kind of group of demonic sorcerors. The things they do to GW2 are mind blowing really. A lot of innovative stuff happening there.

Too bad they fucked up the game in other regards. Went back to it some time ago, saw the insane amount of grinding that I should've done for ascended gear, thought "Hell, no", logged out, uninstalled.
The age of farming in mmos is over, no more skinner boxes.

docbon

Ehh, I don't think I've ever felt I was falling behind in levels as long as I completed all the content in a zone. I'm in the Daggerfall Covenant though, so your experience may have been different.

This out for PS4? Sorry not the best OP for an OT.

Added to the OP.

HowZatOZ

Banned
For me though. What makes or breaks a MMO is attention to future content. IF this next update comes out quickly and is of good quality. That's a big win in my book. This is what really hurt SWTOR before it went F2P, I think. It was really lacking in content after launch.
Next patch is scheduled for sometime this month I believe, so if they continue along a monthly path of new content I'll be subscribing for years to come. The amount of content and potential expansions that an Elder Scrolls MMO could have is just insane to think about, gets me way too excited.
Good thing is a lot of the enhancements that I want to see taken from GW2/other MMOs and put into ESO are really minor in comparison to what the game offers.

Zafir

Well I was short a bit going into dashaan and then short a bit going into Shadowfen. Only 1 or 2 levels and other people in the EU guild were reporting similar expriences. I wasn't rushing or anything either. I'd be far higher level if I was. However it's worth noting I could still do quests etc fine it's more that I worry I'll get even further behind than it being an issue at the moment.

Too bad they fucked up the game in other regards. Went back to it some time ago, saw the insane amount of grinding that I should've done for ascended gear, thought "Hell, no", logged out, uninstalled.
The age of farming in mmos is over, no more skinner boxes.

The stat increase is so absolutely minimal, ascended is only needed for those looking at higher level fractals. I just acquired my first ascended helm and the stat increase is literally 6 points in total. +2 for each category: power, toughness and vitality. That's a joke. The skins are nice though so that's the only motivating factor to craft a full set.

I feel your pain.

Yep, I'm exactly the same. Got so many mats, it's unreal.

Dubz

I can't get vs vsync to work properly. I've tried in game and forcing it through the Nvidia control panel. Anybody else have this problem, and maybe a fix?

Gothos

It's probably the fault of the console versions of TESO. Just look at the inventory - it's a scrolling list of items for god's sake! It's absolutely retarded that there is no typical, grid based inventory and it's surely because the game is coming to PS4/X1. My bet is there a lot more compromises like that steered towards console users.

Teletraan1

Banned

I had some bugged quests that I had to skip in the second area after completing the starter zone. I cleared out the third map completely and got the achievement and I am 1 level behind what I should be on the 4th area I was sent to. If anything it adds a bit of challenge, no grinding involved. The people having issues are probably those people I see running through the entire public dungeon skipping everything, dragging all the mobs with them until they reset on top of your and then complaining they are under leveled.

Zafir

I had some bugged quests that I had to skip in the second area after completing the starter zone. I cleared out the third map completely and got the achievement and I am 1 level behind what I should be on the 4th area I was sent to. If anything it adds a bit of challenge, no grinding involved. The people having issues are probably those people I see running through the entire public dungeon skipping everything, dragging all the mobs with them until they reset on top of your and then complaining they are under leveled.
Assuming you're counting the first area as the tutorial Island, then i'm the same. As I mentioned it's just that I fear the gap will get worse but we shall see.

Hellers

Is it just me or is Archery really janky in this game?

What do you mean by janky? I quite like it. My sorc is currently rocking a bow and a 2-handed maul. Morphing the volley attack into a fire volley is ace and that skill to knock people backwards is great at keeping things at a distance. Combine with lightning and curse and you have dead making potential :)

Is it just me or is Archery really janky in this game?

My biggest problem with it currently is I find it very hard to see my arrows, especially when there is a lot of people around, also it can be a little hard to tell if your arrow hit the target. The combat scrolling text addon helps greatly with that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How are you supposed to use destruction staves?

I finally got my second slot, and I've been fooling around with them. I find it really hard to pull off a single "shot" with them. Sometimes I click the mouse button, and I'll just raise my staff then put it down. Other times I click it, and it fires a shot. If I hold the button down, it charges, and when I release it always fires a shot.

Are you supposed to be able to "quick shot" these things by tapping the mouse button, or are you always supposed to hold it for a little while then release?

And how do restoration staves work? They don't seem to heal me when I use them... can I only point it at other people to heal them? I also have a restoration staff with 8 lightning damage. How does that work?

docbon

It's probably the fault of the console versions of TESO. Just look at the inventory - it's a scrolling list of items for god's sake! It's absolutely retarded that there is no typical, grid based inventory and it's surely because the game is coming to PS4/X1. My bet is there a lot more compromises like that steered towards console users.

Until then, there's always this.

Fuz

Banned
Does anyone knows for sure if (for example) putting more ingots in crafting a dagger gives more crafting experience overall (also counting the recycle xp)?

Man, Provisioning is basically broken as a craft. I'm between 7-9 for Woodworking and Clothing, and 36 or something in Provisioning. I loot everything, then craft as much as I can with all the materials I get. Especially with level 10 recipes, crafting only 10-15 of something can give me a level. It's nuts.

Top Bottom