• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Separate account, characters, and subscription. Yes, even in this day and age. It's pretty shameful.

As someone who is likely going to get this for consoles and this will be my first console MMO:

I just hate when companies try to turn this into somehow a positive. I believe when I read this news, the news source said that one of the benefits of this is that console players won't be so far behind PC players. That line of thinking doesn't really work in an MMO because Zenimax Online is going to want PC players to get into this game 1+ years from now just as much as they want PC players to get this game right now.

With that said, I would be so excited if PC, Xbox One, and PS4 players could all play on the same servers, but I believe business reasons have more to do with why they won't be able to than actual beneficial reasons for the player base.

Man this game is addicting, played the entire weekend and only got to level 12. First time in a long time I have just had fun exploring and taking my time, and haven't felt that rushed feeling of needing to get to endgame.

Giggzy

See, I just tried a thing.

I was an instance with me and another AI controller warrior dude. It was inside a building and I was up against 2 'assassins'. I died three times and they were level 4 against my level 7.

I've two Bow skills: Volley and Poison Arrow - what am I not doing? It was much easier with sword and shield...

What's the damage of your bow? Are you dodging and blocking? I can't fathom how else you would be dying so easily. NPC's do fairly significant damage so you need to make sure you're dodging and blocking. Also, are you a templar? Put a skill point into a heal so you have some self-sustainability.

Man this game is addicting, played the entire weekend and only got to level 12. First time in a long time I have just had fun exploring and taking my time, and haven't felt that rushed feeling of needing to get to endgame.

Same! Every MMO I've ever played I've min/maxed and rushed to the end and just concerned about being the best and most OP. I couldn't care less about that right now. I'm having so much fun exploring and stopping to smell the roses.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So how hard is this game exactly? How long does it take to level? Is it satisfying?

Dubz

Do i have to wait for 100% download, or can I play at some point during the download? I can't wait to make a Khajit Thief!

So how hard is this game exactly? How long does it take to level? Is it satisfying?

Like most games, different classes will have varying levels of difficulty, but overall I don't find it overly difficult. It provides a nice challenge at some places, and there are a couple spots where you may need to level up / get better armor before you are able to tackle the quest.

Leveling is really paced on how you want to play. If you rush full speed, skip through all the dialogue, only do easy to find quests, don't explore, you can be max level in a few days. If you take your time and play it like an ES game, it will take you quite a while to hit max level.

Satisfying is subjective, but like I said earlier this is one of the first MMOs in a long time where I felt like I could just relax, take my time, and see what the environments had to offer. I often find myself stopping to see whats around each corner, exploring every house, building, cave, and glimmering light in the distance. To me that is very satisfying.

fuzzyset

Kinda depends. Enemies can hit hard, so you need to be on your toes for dodges/interrupts. You can't stand still. That being said, I can take on 2-4 enemies my level and survive. I did my first private dungeon tonight. Actually kinda hard. Idk if my groupmates were just bad but we wiped a number of times. The final boss actually had mechanics you need to follow. It was fun.

I feel like I'm leveling super slow. Probably like 2hrs per level for me including a bit of time messing with crafting and exploring.

I'm enjoying it. I really hope they make the combat more responsive (which is my biggest complaint). There is no global cooldown (like WoW), just animations. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but it bothers me. People say SWTOR had similar issues that were resolved.

Snicky

I played one of the beta weekends, I want to say end of February, and was very disappointed in the game. I pretty much wrote the game off. At release I read impressions and I picked up the game with trepidation on Friday. After reaching level 12, I have to say I am loving the game. I totally echo the desire to explore as I play the game. The sound is amazing on a surround sound system and the NPCs have meaningful things to say. I have even had random NPCs comment on decisions I made in quests (something you would fully expect in any Elder Scrolls game). Occasionally, I stop just to take in the sights and sounds of the environments.

Frankly, this feels totally different than any MMO I have ever played. The most enjoyable times come when I close the chat window and immerse myself in the sounds and stories of Tamriel. At the same time, it feels totally natural to open the chat window and quickly join a group, jump into some PvP, or trade with guild mates in my trade union guild. Incredible game. I never have been so interested in the stories behind quests in an MMO and I never feel like I am killing mobs to complete a quest or begging for a quest item to drop. At the same time, the items/quests/monsters/sights I discover from exploring do not disappoint.

The UI and social features definitely need some work, but I can see myself staying in this universe for a good time.

For you Nightblades out there, what race did you pick? Need an alt to play when my girlfriend isn't around and I'm looking to start one. I originally thought Bosmer, but their racials seem lacking, and I'm not overly fond of the Khajit looks.

Considering possibly Imperial mostly for their passives, Red Diamond seems like it might be nice with increased attack speed and dual wielding, plus increased health and stamina. I'm probably way over thinking some of these racials.

Can you fish in this game? I saw where you could get married.

Yes there is fishing at fishing holes that are scattered around the zones. You use bait you can get from doing still like killing vermin, finding worms on plants, snatching bugs as they float around etc, and then take the bait to a fishing hole and start fishing. The more people that fish at a hole, the better your chances of catching stuff is.

Lemstar

I bought an Imperial Edition for the physical stuff. What's a reasonable price to sell the game + DLC at, and would anyone be interested?

Karak

Yep one of the best parts about this game.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

Yep one of the best parts about this game.

NO! Stop posts like this! ;_; My resolve... my poor resolve :(

So... much....lore...

Started the night at level 7, played for a few hours and ended the night at... level 7.

Why oh why do I need to read every book, talk to every stranger, listen to random conversations, etc... Because it's awesome, that's why!

OH GAWD!

Giggzy

So... much....lore...

Started the night at level 7, played for a few hours and ended the night at... level 7.

Why oh why do I need to read every book, talk to every stranger, listen to random conversations, etc... Because it's awesome, that's why!

So... much....lore...

I know what you mean. This is the first MMO i can remember, in a long time, where I haven't felt rushed to level. The progression feels that good.

Google

What's the damage of your bow? Are you dodging and blocking? I can't fathom how else you would be dying so easily. NPC's do fairly significant damage so you need to make sure you're dodging and blocking. Also, are you a templar? Put a skill point into a heal so you have some self-sustainability.

Just tried again and still having no luck. I'm not a templar, so there's no self sustaining health. I might go back to sword and shield until I'm level 15 and I get the ability to switch between two weapon sets.

It's too tough for me right now against any more than a single enemy.

KePoW

Banned
I agree with most players in this thread. This game is much more fun taking your time to explore and play casually.

It's not really like a typical MMO where you just chain-rush quests to level without thinking... you'll be missing out on the unique feeling this game has to offer if you do that.

Arksy

I agree with everyone. I'm taking my time just to enjoy the game and it's the first MMO with good quests.

For the first time it's not like go to rat hole and kill 10 rats for quest X, collect 5 rat ears for quest Y and pick up 6 rat droppings for quest Z. Every other MMO does this sort of progression by quota and it's refreshing that it's not here this time.

Each quest takes like five or six steps and most of them are interesting and have cool twists (although some of them are a bit obvious at times it's still good that they're trying).

I spent nearly an hour in the goblin cave sorting out the treaty between the goblins and the veiled inheritance. Moreso just exploring the cave for named mobs and collecting ore.

Fuz

Banned
theres silly like wow, but I think elder scrolls (so far at least, maybe later it gets better) goes too far in the other direction. look at game of thrones, theres some good, big realistic weapons in that

Maybe.
I think that the only game that gets it right is The Witcher.
Weapons and armors in TW2 are both realistic and fantastic.

Now I want a Witcher MMO. :\

I know what you mean. This is the first MMO i can remember, in a long time, where I haven't felt rushed to level. The progression feels that good.
I feel bad for *not* reading every book and conversation.
I usually do in any ES or other RPG, but the "mmo effect" is keeping me for doing that here too.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I feel bad for *not* reading every book and conversation.
I usually do in any ES or other RPG, but the "mmo effect" is keeping me for doing that here too.
Try to shake it off dude, you'll enjoy the game 200% better by just taking your time and engrossing in the lore/environment. Best thing as well is to just let yourself wander, you'll come across so many little bits and pieces that truly make this an Elder Scrolls game.

acidagfc

Could not play yesterday at all. My PC was blocked by their servers and they wanted me to enter the code from email, which arrived hours later :(
Oh well, got a nice legendary belt on my HC Wizard :D
And now I'm torn between lootfest and lorefest

hepburn3d

I am so tempted to pick this up on ps4.
Does if have first person view?
And if so, does anybody use it?

It does have first person view. I tend to switch between the views. In combat it's quite nice to flick to 3rd to get a wider field of view.

I also think if you play as a mage the view is quite dull, the staffs just don't look as big and powerful as you'd want them to look. Sword and shield on the other hand looks awesome.

hepburn3d

Does it tell you when a mission will be solo play or as a group? We can't seem to tell and sometimes it'd be nice to know you're going to be on your own for the next bit. My build is so bad at solo play but in a small group I can provide lots of support.

Zafir

Does it tell you when a mission will be solo play or as a group? We can't seem to tell and sometimes it'd be nice to know you're going to be on your own for the next bit. My build is so bad at solo play but in a small group I can provide lots of support.
Only group dungeons, public dungeon small group bosses and map events are for groups. Quests are all solo able I've found so far (I'm level 23).

Kem0sabe

I'm leveling incredibly slow due to there being so much to do... i spend hours just looting shit from containers and then managing my inventory!

Zenimax, please give us GW2's materials inventory, please?

I'm leveling incredibly slow due to there being so much to do... i spend hours just looting shit from containers and then managing my inventory!

Zenimax, please give us GW2's materials inventory, please?

this may seem crazy, but that is very enjoyable to me. Im excited for this game.

Raxious

Behold, my UI:

qfVqq3n.jpg

Really loving the game but god damn I'm really struggling with inventory space even after upgrading my bag and bank twice. I suppose it didn't help that I ended up opening all of the maps that come with the explorers pack. I wish there was a way to put them back into the containers.

Wulfegang

Is anyone else having an issue with downsampling? When I try to set a custom resolution of 2560x1440 on my desktop the aiming reticule floats. Everything works fine if I run at native 1920x1080, but anything at 1440p or higher makes the floating come back. I also notice the resolution option in Video Settings is blank and doesn't have 2560x1440 listed. I have tried Fullscreen as well as Maximized and do not have this problem in any other game. I am running an EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Dual SuperClocked 4GB.

ESO floating crosshairs issue

I found a fix for my problem and wanted to update this in case anyone else runs into the same thing.

1. Locate the "eso.exe" file in your ESO folder (for instance mine is located in "D:\Elder Scrolls Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client"
2. Right click the file then click Properties
3. Click on the "Compatibility" tab
4. Check the box labelled as "“Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

Zafir

Really loving the game but god damn I'm really struggling with inventory space even after upgrading my bag and bank twice. I suppose it didn't help that I ended up opening all of the maps that come with the explorers pack. I wish there was a way to put them back into the containers.
Heh yeah. I only opened one and the containers can't be put in the bank so thats 3 spaces lost to me in my bag, aswell as 7ish bank spaces from the one I opened.

Top Bottom