• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Rösti;107453960 said:
Got some terrible problems with animations not playing or animations getting stuck in a loop. Made it quite difficult to know if you are hurting enemies. Has anyone else experienced this?

Everything else such as looting and talking with NPCs worked well.

Did you try repairing the install? That sounds very weird.

Also, I've tried the new Geforce drivers (the DX11 ones), and the game SEEMS to be running smoother for me (less variance). It could be in my head, but try it out. I can at least say theyre stable.

Lucifon

Good to see some new faces on the EU guild tonight. I finally finished everything in the Dominion starter island and logged off. Absolutely loving the game the more I play it. Some of the side quests are just as good as the main ones.

I've also joined a Trading guild with almost 300 people tonight, basically set up just as a guild store. Hopefully it'll continue to grow and almost become a mini auction house. If any other EU gaffers want an invite let me know your IDs and I'll send out invites when I get on tomorrow night.

Baskcm

Good to see some new faces on the EU guild tonight. I finally finished everything in the Dominion starter island and logged off. Absolutely loving the game the more I play it. Some of the side quests are just as good as the main ones.

I've also joined a Trading guild with almost 300 people tonight, basically set up just as a guild store. Hopefully it'll continue to grow and almost become a mini auction house. If any other EU gaffers want an invite let me know your IDs and I'll send out invites when I get on tomorrow night.

yeah i would not mind a invite to that

HowZatOZ

Banned
How are you supposed to use destruction staves?

I finally got my second slot, and I've been fooling around with them. I find it really hard to pull off a single "shot" with them. Sometimes I click the mouse button, and I'll just raise my staff then put it down. Other times I click it, and it fires a shot. If I hold the button down, it charges, and when I release it always fires a shot.

Are you supposed to be able to "quick shot" these things by tapping the mouse button, or are you always supposed to hold it for a little while then release?

And how do restoration staves work? They don't seem to heal me when I use them... can I only point it at other people to heal them? I also have a restoration staff with 8 lightning damage. How does that work?
I noticed no one had answered you, so hopefully you find this useful. All weapons have a light attack (left click) and a heavy attack (hold left click). Staves work in that by simply clicking left mouse button you'll fire off a small bolt, however if you hold left click down you'll do a small charge up then fire a stream of energy. Healing staves don't actually heal players through their left click (hopefully this is changed in the future to damage enemies but heal friendlies) so when you left click you are actually damaging the enemy, thus that is why you see the X lightning damage enchantment on it.

Healing staves at this time are essentially equipped to gain access to the healing spells, however once you've got those healing spells you don't have to have the staff equipped. Some passives for the healing staff skill line require that you have a staff in order to gain the passive, but most active spells are simply cast-able without one.
Man, Provisioning is basically broken as a craft. I'm between 7-9 for Woodworking and Clothing, and 36 or something in Provisioning. I loot everything, then craft as much as I can with all the materials I get. Especially with level 10 recipes, crafting only 10-15 of something can give me a level. It's nuts.
This is due to how common the crafting materials are for cooking, meaning you are on average finding more cooking materials at a quicker rate than any other crafting. I've found that enchanting is the hardest to level, simply because there is only two ways of getting XP; crafting via runes, or breaking glyphs down for runes.

In regards to XB1/PS4 having separate servers to PC, it kind of makes sense. I know FFXIV doesn't do this, but I feel like ESO may be slightly more twitchy when it comes to playing on PC, meaning if we were to group with console players we may be at a more disadvantage to console players playing together. Grouping may become difficult due to how "slow" camera movement would be on a controller, which could result in far worse play within dungeons and important quests. Though I would like to see both consoles play together, but that will never happen because Microsoft hates making sense.

If anyone else has any questions they'd like answered, ask away and I'll try to do my best. I'm a level 20 Redguard Templar but I have a fair grasp of how to play in general and some other class knowledge thanks to my previous beta testing.

Debating picking this up.

Is it pretty well-suited for casual/solo play? I can maybe sneak 2hrs a night, 3 nights a week. So, nothing too serious.

The Imperial Edition is back in stock at BBY. 20% off with my GCU membership and $15 in RZ certs makes it $65 for the physical box.

Solo play definitely. 24 hours or so a month? That would be up to you if that is worth the sub fee. $65 for the Imp edition is a great deal though.

JoeBoy101

Anyone want to tell me what the nightblade is all about???

Im seeing this class as the theif/assassin/stealth/bows/dagger type of character, like that guy from the daggerfall covenant in the trailers.

When the game is released on PS4, I want to maybe play as a red guard nightblade. And focus on using poisons, illusion magic, bows, and stealth. In oblivion and skyrim, those were my most powerful characters.

Is a character build like that possible in The Elder Scrolls Online???

are there even alchemy, stealth and illusion magick skill trees like in oblivion and skyrim???

In all the videos I've seen, not one of them went over the skills in depth. They just skimmed through it to get to the action as most viewers want to see that.

Also, I dont care for PVP, I'm doing purely PVE, mostly single play too.

A Nightblade is essentially a magic-using thief.

Having gotten up to a level 13 Nightblade, you need to drop your ideas on the skills like they are in Oblivion or Skyrim.

There is alchemy; stealth is in, though not very trainable or even all that useful, and there is only some magic related to illusion in the Shadow line of skills. That said, there is no limitation on race, armor use, or weapon use.

So poisons? Yes.
Redguard? Yes. Not the best of synergies, but who cares. I play a Dunmer Nightblade.
Bows? Yes.
Illusion Magic? Not really, but there are three magical skill lines for the Nightblade called Shadow/Assassination/Siphoning.
Daggers? Hells, yes. I'm currently dual wielding daggers. Combat skill trees are split among Dual Wield/Sword and Board/2 Hand/Bow/Destruction Staves/Restoration Staves.

You also have three armor skills: Light/Medium/Heavy. Medium has synergy with a nightblade, but there are no penalties for taking light or heavy.

My only major complaint with the game thus far is the lack of class selection: you only get four. But the customization of your character in those classes helps alleviate the issue. For example, I got my Storm Summoning Redguard Sorcerer in Heavy Armor and Sword & Board.

Having gotten up to a level 13 Nightblade, you need to drop your ideas on the skills like they are in Oblivion or Skyrim.

There is alchemy; stealth is in, though not very trainable or even all that useful, and there is only some magic related to illusion in the Shadow line of skills. That said, there is no limitation on race, armor use, or weapon use.

So poisons? Yes.
Redguard? Yes. Not the best of synergies, but who cares. I play a Dunmer Nightblade.
Bows? Yes.
Illusion Magic? Not really, but there are three magical skill lines for the Nightblade under Shadow/Assassination/Siphoning.
Daggers? Hells, yes. I'm currently dual wielding daggers. Combat skill trees are split among Dual Wield/Sword and Board/2 Hand/Bow/Destruction Staves/Restoration Staves.

You also have three armor skills: Light/Medium/Heavy. Medium has synergy with a nightblade, but there are no penalties for taking light or heavy.

My only major complaint with the game thus far is the lack of class selection: you only get four. But the customization of your character in those classes help alleviate the use. For example, I got my Storm Summoning Redguard Sorcerer in Heavy Armor and Sword & Board.

They can also make healers. It's actually a really unique approach.

Google

I think I'm done with this. I just dont have the patience.

The combat just doesn't feel right to me. It's definitely not as weighty as Skyrim/Oblivion and I feel a complete lack of ownership over what I'm doing. The quests/tasks/whatever may have slightly better (or different) lines to that of your standard MMORPG but what's the point if all I'm doing is running halfway across the city to deliver one message, only to listen to some bad dialogue and then run back to deliver another message.

I'm sure things heat up as you run up the levels and get to the better and more interesting content but I just dont have the patience to run around the starter areas for hours at a time delivering messages or killing skeletons.

Oh well - At least I know now.

No one responded to my query before, so I'm going to re post it.

Ok guys give it to me straight. As a player who loves challenging MMO's I didn't like ESO's beta and I tried almost every single iteration throughout. I got serious GW2, neverwinter Social MMO vibes off this. The combat felt like it lacked depth and complexity, and I'm worried about end game PVE content. Are my fears unfounded? Or does this share more DNA with old school mmo's than I'm giving it credit for?

No one responded to my query before, so I'm going to re post it.

Ok guys give it to me straight. As a player who loves challenging MMO's I didn't like ESO's beta and I tried almost every single iteration throughout. I got serious GW2, neverwinter Social MMO vibes off this. The combat felt like it lacked depth and complexity, and I'm worried about end game PVE content. Are my fears unfounded? Or does this share more DNA with old school mmo's than I'm giving it credit for?

To me the combat has a much higher depth than your traditional MMO. While you will not be juggling cooldowns, and figuring out the best rotations from skill bars filled with dozens of skills, you will be actively participating in combat. To me having no auto attack and having to actually dodge and block immerses me far more in the combat than WoW and similar games ever did. Now it does have its issues with animations, and needs some heavy improvement on feedback when you connect with your enemy, but to me it is a very satisfying experience.

The second layer of this is within the classes themselves, while there are only four base classes, their combinations are huge. For instance, you can take a Nightblade and go from a medium armor wearing, duel weapon wielding, burst damage melee attack, and then change to a staff wielding, life siphoning, light armor wearing warlock.

I can't speak for end game PvE other than what I saw, but with 10 veteran ranks already in the game, plus the next massive zone already announced, I don't think you will have an issue with finding plenty of content.

mkenyon

Banned
To me the combat has a much higher depth than your traditional MMO. While you will not be juggling cooldowns, and figuring out the best rotations from skill bars filled with dozens of skills, you will be actively participating in combat. To me having no auto attack and having to actually dodge and block immerses me far more in the combat than WoW and similar games ever did. Now it does have its issues with animations, and needs some heavy improvement on feedback when you connect with your enemy, but to me it is a very satisfying experience.

The second layer of this is within the classes themselves, while there are only four base classes, their combinations are huge. For instance, you can take a Nightblade and go from a medium armor wearing, duel weapon wielding, burst damage melee attack, and then change to a staff wielding, life siphoning, light armor wearing warlock.
This so much. In a lot of ways, the combat is actually better than TES SP games.

I can't speak for end game PvE other than what I saw, but with 10 veteran ranks already in the game, plus the next massive zone already announced, I don't think you will have an issue with finding plenty of content.

When I say End Game Content, I mean Challenging end game PVE. Large scale raids and or boss encounters/challenge dungeons. For instance I thought GW2's PVE content was extremely lacking. RVRVR crap isn't enjoyable for me. I do enjoy PVP, but I am primarily a co-operative PVE player. From what I've been reading, it sounds like I should avoid this game if I want that kind of content?

HowZatOZ

Banned
When I say End Game Content, I mean Challenging end game PVE. Large scale raids and or boss encounters. For instance I thought GW2's PVE content was extremely lacking. RVRVR crap isn't enjoyable for me. I do enjoy PVP, but I am primarily a co-operative PVE player. From what I've been reading, it sounds like I should avoid this game if I want that kind of content?
The end game in Elder Scrolls Online will be between PvP in Cyrodiil and PvE with Veteran Dungeons. These dungeons are basically hard modes of previous dungeons, though with much more difficulty and newer enemies. There will also be Adventure Zones, which will be level cap areas that include veteran dungeons and 12 player Trials.

These trials will be timed events that have limited respawns, and the faster you complete a trial, the better loot you get and higher in the leaderboard. Good thing is, everyone will be able to see the content no matter the skill, however those with higher skill will gain more out of it.

I think I'm done with this. I just dont have the patience.

The combat just doesn't feel right to me. It's definitely not as weighty as Skyrim/Oblivion and I feel a complete lack of ownership over what I'm doing. The quests/tasks/whatever may have slightly better (or different) lines to that of your standard MMORPG but what's the point if all I'm doing is running halfway across the city to deliver one message, only to listen to some bad dialogue and then run back to deliver another message.

I'm sure things heat up as you run up the levels and get to the better and more interesting content but I just dont have the patience to run around the starter areas for hours at a time delivering messages or killing skeletons.

Oh well - At least I know now.
I feel like it is far more weighty than Skyrim, that game felt very floaty to me and never had any impact on when I hit someone. With the new changes to collision detection and enemies actually responding to where I hit, I feel like ESO is perfectly fine in the combat respect but again, opinions and all that.

In terms of questing, what you described is basically the very beginning quests you'll approach, and definitely not what you will see as you get further into levelling. I'm in the Ebonheart Pact and some of the quests I've done in Deshaan have been amazing, ranging from saving a village of plagued people to assaulting giant Dwemer constructs as I try to get to the source of all the destruction. I've uncovered plots of deception and embedded treachery and even stopped an assault brewing from within ranks. I'd say that is far more engaging than your typical fetch quests you see in other MMOs.

mkenyon

Banned
When I say End Game Content, I mean Challenging end game PVE. Large scale raids and or boss encounters/challenge dungeons. For instance I thought GW2's PVE content was extremely lacking. RVRVR crap isn't enjoyable for me. I do enjoy PVP, but I am primarily a co-operative PVE player. From what I've been reading, it sounds like I should avoid this game if I want that kind of content?
Look elsewhere then.

as far as feedback in combat, i think thats something a controller's rumble will be able to solve if the developers have it rumble when you get hit and when you successfully attack, on the consoles.

there is no vibrating mouse as far as i know, so thats one thing i notice right way when playing the same game on pc and console, the feedback the controller gives thats just not there on pc games.

leaving the devs to create artificial feedback purely through visuals and sound. and there is a big difference between the two, non rumble and rumbled enabled feedback.

docbon

At the moment, the endgame PVE consists of 4-man veteran dungeons. The upcoming content update will add the first of the endgame group zones and 12-man timed trials-- both of which are meant to be very challenging. The road to endgame is extremely long though, so it'll probably be enough to tide most of us over until the content update drops.

video right hurr

fuzzyset

Sorcerer are very good tanks, easy to hard cap armor and spell resist.

Good CC, AoE and defensive skills as well.

I'm still low level, but using 1H+Shield. It's a blast. Open with Velocious Curse, Low slash, attack til low. Mage's Furry to finish em off. Pop Lightning Form if need be. Things die quick and I can take on 3-4 enemies easily.

SRTtoZ

Ok so I'm looking to make a DragonKnight tank so I was thinking sword and board obviously but for my second weapon what should I go with? Would Archery be a stupid idea? What else goes good with tanking? My thought process is I could pull with archery and get some insta threat (aoe?) and I could also get threat from long ranged mobs that have wandered off? I'm taking time off of D3 so I'm about to go full force with ESO...

Alur

I'm still low level, but using 1H+Shield. It's a blast. Open with Velocious Curse, Low slash, attack til low. Mage's Furry to finish em off. Pop Lightning Form if need be. Things die quick and I can take on 3-4 enemies easily.

Tell me more about this mage's furry.

Really though, what level are you at with your sorcerer tank right now? And I take it you are talking about Daedric Curse (Velocious Curse)? I was looking at trying the sorc tank with mine but I haven't gotten too far into the details yet so I'm curious. How does the build regen magicka quickly without light armor, or is it even that magicka intensive?

So poisons? Yes.
Bows? Yes.
Illusion Magic? Not really, but there are three magical skill lines for the Nightblade called Shadow/Assassination/Siphoning.

My only major complaint with the game thus far is the lack of class selection: you only get four. But the customization of your character in those classes helps alleviate the issue. For example, I got my Storm Summoning Redguard Sorcerer in Heavy Armor and Sword & Board.

damn man, this saddens me.

So this game does not have the "skills naturally get better as you use them" formula???

damn man, I was hoping to use illusion magic, like turning invisible, muffling my sound, and using those charm spells and such.

I thought they had that stuff and thats what made this mmo unique from others. But I guess i will have to wait and see when the PS4 beta comes out. Man i wish i could just try the damn game for once.

damn man, this saddens me.

So this game does not have the "skills naturally get better as you use them" formula???

damn man, I was hoping to use illusion magic, like turning invisible, muffling my sound, and using those charm spells and such.

I thought they had that stuff and thats what made this mmo unique from others. But I guess i will have to wait and see when the PS4 beta comes out. Man i wish i could just try the damn game for once.

The game does. When you use/have a skill equipped, that skill has its own experience bar and levels up. Eventually, the skills caps out and you can train into one of two more powerful variants.

fuzzyset

Tell me more about this mage's furry.

Really though, what level are you at with your sorcerer tank right now? And I take it you are talking about Daedric Curse (Velocious Curse)? I was looking at trying the sorc tank with mine but I haven't gotten too far into the details yet so I'm curious. How does the build regen magicka quickly without light armor, or is it even that magicka intensive?

You don't know about my Furries.

I'm only level 13. Velocious Curse (sp?) is a morph of Daedric Curse to make it proc faster. I'm currently capped at magicka regen (High Elf though). edit: I'm also just wearing the armor pieces that come my way, which is why I use Lightning Form. I'm wearing 4 pieces of light armor.

Massively put up their final thoughts: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/04/massivelys-elder-scrolls-online-launch-diary-day-five-the-e/

Final thoughts

Ultimately, I'm having much more fun in ESO than I expected. A couple of years ago I personally wrote the game off as yet another themepark made by yet another single-player game developer attempting to cash a big fat recurring revenue check courtesy of an IP with a massive built-in fanbase.

ESO is very much a themepark, but it's one that places a premium on exploration and out-of-the-box progression. It's also one that's been built with a high level of craftsmanship, which makes it worth playing for a while. I still have some long-term questions, but right now I'm happy to be eating a bit of crow and exploring Tamriel's latest iteration.

With all that said, it's time to wrap up this launch week diary. Massively doesn't do review scores, of course, because frankly how could we when it takes months if not years to competently review an MMORPG. In lieu of that, here's a bullet point summary of my personal likes and dislikes from ESO's 1 to 15 Daggerfall Covenant experience.

The good

Vast, immersive world design, varied topography
Flexible skill-based progression, large number of possible builds
Immersive UI
Fun (and useful) crafting
Lots of 1 - 15 PvE quest content
Access to large-scale PvP at level 10, siege weapons
Gameplay incentives/rewards for exploring
Lore, Elder Scrolls story, books, etc.
Franchise staples like lockpicking, container looting
Subscription model (yes, I still prefer one price for everything)

The bad

Forced public account login
Clunky combat/movement animations
Quickslot interface is awkward with a keyboard/mouse
Overcrowded public dungeons
Quest bugs

Atomski

Can I get a NA guild invite? @Norgler is my name, you guys can add me as a friend as well.

Still not sure how I feel about the game.. kinda bummed Im already getting gold spam in my mail.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Right now you can buy a horse for 15 dollars and I think they are adding vanity items down the road.

Can you steal a horse?

I wonder if I can fight the urge, I'd be willing to drop the $60+$15/mo if they had a patch update that gives it similar systems like the main-line ES games. It still feels shallow from what people are describing and I'd like them to also get their input choices in order.

Can you steal a horse?

I wonder if I can fight the urge, I'd be willing to drop the $60+$15/mo if they had a patch update that gives it similar systems like the main-line ES games. It still feels shallow from what people are describing and I'd like them to also get their input choices in order.

Nay, no stealing of horses.

There obviously have to be some concessions in order to get an ESO-type experience to work in an MMO setting. If you want a full-fledged ES game, this is not quite it. However, if you can understand and cope with some necessary design mechanics, you will get an ES experience that, in my opinion, is worthy of the series.

The game does. When you use/have a skill equipped, that skill has its own experience bar and levels up. Eventually, the skills caps out and you can train into one of two more powerful variants.

Oh, I see. Well thats different than what I was thinking. I was thinking more of the line, like oblivion and skyrim, where using any spell of a certain class will increase that particular magick class type. Like using protect and mage light will increase your over all alteration.

Do they have skill classes like the previous elder scrolls??? One handed, light armor, alteration, alchemy, blocking, ect.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this games skill system as Ive never played it before. Nor have I seen any video that goes indepth in the skill system.

SRTtoZ

Yea so this game is pretty much the bees knees. Got my DK Tank up to level 6, just wandered around exploring after doing most of the quests on my starter isle and then started gathering. Went over to the smithy and crafted some nice imperial iron for myself and wanted to complete the set so I went back out and gathered a ton more. So now I have a full set including shield/wep and ready to move on. Very addicting. Its a shame this game has no housing though because it would be really awesome to work your way up to owning an expensive house somewhere in the game.

Oh also the day/night cycles are awesome and last quite a while. I was questing for quite a bit before it became night (2-3 hours) and now that night is here its pretty awesome. That along with the music really drives this to feel like a MP Skyrim but with more life...

Well worth the $$$$ here.

Lucifon

So, I contacted ESO Support regarding my beta reward + Explorer's Pack items being lost due to deleting my first character (I knew they'd be lost, I just wanted to transfer them as I won't be using that character again, it's pretty dumb that they only get added to 1 character and can't be transferred!).

Support replied within the hour to ask for some verification, not quite sure why I needed to provide a bunch of info to get items from one character to another on the same account, but what the hell. I sent that over and woke up this morning with an epic response, which makes me love this game even more -

Greetings Hus'Khar,

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.

I am Rocko Entades but the humans call me David.
We are sorry to hear that you have been having difficulties with lost items

But fear not my friend. Your prayer has been received by the High Council. At their behest, I have been sent forth in order to assist you with this matter.

I am contacting you to say i have restored your lost items, please check game mailbox to see.

We apologize for the inconvenience your have encountered.

If you have any other question don't hesitate to contact us.

Battle well and win often, until again we meet.

Have a great day !

David

Perfect!

yeah i would not mind a invite to that

Will sort that for you later today :)

Somnia

Well I finally hit a real bug... I am level 47 almost 48 and doing the coldharbour quests. There is one that is needed to advance the story to get into the Veteran Zones and the quest giver is bugged and you can't interact with her. This is a known issue on their forums and they have it listed as a top priority, but its been bugged sicne April 5th... so as of now without a server reset or a patch I am stuck waiting, I can work on getting to 50, but otherwise I am stuck doing nada till then.

Kem0sabe

Anyone else didn't receive their explorers pack maps? I never got mine and only noticed it last night.

Anyways, really enjoying the quests in the game, they are very different from traditional mmo quests, only problem with them is how little exp most of them give. I have gotten more experience from opening chests than completing some quests.

SparkTR

The game is definitely an MMO but it's still scratching that ES itch for me, lots of interesting places to explore, lore to read and quests to complete. Looks great and the first person view is extremely functional. The way I see it we aren't getting a new ES game for at least another 4 years, and this is a nice way to stay in that world in the meantime.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I can most definitely see myself staying ESO-side for the next few years - really loving it.

One can see the development of some longevity filled legs with Adventure Zones, Expansions and constant content flowing... oh, and dat PvP.

Top Bottom