• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

hepburn3d

Sell or deconstruct? I'm getting stuck here. I need gold but I want to level my crafting up. What's everyone else doing? I tend to deconstruct everything, put it all in the bank then sell anything I'm not interested in crafting

HowZatOZ

Banned
Sell or deconstruct? I'm getting stuck here. I need gold but I want to level my crafting up. What's everyone else doing? I tend to deconstruct everything, put it all in the bank then sell anything I'm not interested in crafting
I deconstruct most things to level crafting, but if I'm short on cash I'll just sell what I have. I'm trying to collect as many improvement items as possible for late game, though I have a feeling that won't be too hard when blues become common in higher zones.

hepburn3d

What about purchasing a horse?

Any one got a realistic length of time on that? That's been my game plan, save all money for horse, but I've had to start spending it on increased bank size and inventory size. I'm level 11 with about 4k to my name, I don't want the 17k horse, I want the 42k (ish) black horse. Should I bother saving now or in late game will it be a lot easier to come by?

I wish I could get it sooner as I want to level it up over time but then I probably wouldn't be able to afford that any way. I know you can buy the £10 horse but I want to earn it.

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
I have enjoyed the game up to this point but got to play for 3 hours last night and fell in love. I'm doing the whole quest chain

The Missing of Bleakrock and love how you have the option to save the villagers or just finish the quest and let them die. If you choose to save them, each person has their own interesting quest, such as The Frozen Man.

I'm also getting more comfortable with crafting as well and it feels just like an Elder Scrolls game. Love this!!

NBtoaster

Pretty disappointed you can't climb the Throat of the World. Game would be a lot easier to swallow as an ES game with more landmarks and familiar locations. No Vvardenfell, only half of Cyrodiil and Skyrim...

Inventory upgrades for yourself and the bank. At least, that's what I've been mostly spending mines on anyways.
Oh, for sure. I just want to make sure they're not buying gear from NPCs. It's overpriced and no better than crafting it yourself.

Pretty disappointed you can't climb the Throat of the World. Game would be a lot easier to swallow as an ES game with more landmarks and familiar locations. No Vvardenfell, only half of Cyrodiil and Skyrim...
Gotta save something for content updates and expansion packs.

Giggzy

I fall more in love with this game everyday. Played for a few more hours last night and finally reached level 8, haha. I got my provisioning up to a good level as well.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Sent more invites out to those who asked for NA. Let me know If you didn't get.

Also, saw my first bots today. 3 of them teleporting to each type of node next to Bal Foyer. They grabbed the node then ported off to the next one that spawned.

Teletraan1

Banned
Sent more invites out to those who asked for NA. Let me know If you didn't get.

Also, saw my first bots today. 3 of them teleporting to each type of node next to Bal Foyer. They grabbed the node then ported off to the next one that spawned.

On the plus side. With no centralized AH, it will be much harder to destroy reasonable pricing. Kind of why I don't mind not having a central AH. One of my least favorite parts of any MMO is the people who spend their entire 1-6 months after launch complaining that the market is dead because they cant sell some useless/easily collectible item for the same amount they could day one. It happens every time too. Hopefully they still crack down on bots and exploits.

Lucifon

My mentality is to deconstruct which levels up my crafting, and also gains materials. Materials which I can then sell in the trade guild I'm in. Not sure if that's the most efficient way to do it but it's my stance at the moment. Weapons at my level seem to give bugger all gold versus what the materials must be worth to crafters.

iso135

What about purchasing a horse?

Any one got a realistic length of time on that? That's been my game plan, save all money for horse, but I've had to start spending it on increased bank size and inventory size. I'm level 11 with about 4k to my name, I don't want the 17k horse, I want the 42k (ish) black horse. Should I bother saving now or in late game will it be a lot easier to come by?

I wish I could get it sooner as I want to level it up over time but then I probably wouldn't be able to afford that any way. I know you can buy the £10 horse but I want to earn it.

Anyone have an answer for this? To put it plainly, should I save all gold for a horse? Or should I spend all gold on inventory/bank upgrades? This question is in regards to lower levels (currently level 10.)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I have enjoyed the game up to this point but got to play for 3 hours last night and fell in love. I'm doing the whole quest chain

The Missing of Bleakrock and love how you have the option to save the villagers or just finish the quest and let them die. If you choose to save them, each person has their own interesting quest, such as The Frozen Man.

I'm also getting more comfortable with crafting as well and it feels just like an Elder Scrolls game. Love this!!

Ha! I was just thinking this.. it was the quest that really made me realise what this game is all about; choices/adventure/humor and fun.

Bloody loving it... oh god, I see myself being addicted to this for the foreseeable future, my friends are gonna hate me :)

I'm really curious to hear more opinions of how this game stacks up to FFXIV so far, from those people who've played both.

I've just started playing FFXIV again after a five month hiatus, and it's really reminded me of how much I enjoyed my time with the game. But the videos and impressions of ESO have me really curious-- especially the combat and the world. It seems much more open and exploration based, which I love, and I like the idea of a more reactionary style of combat which places more emphasis on dodging and action rather than going through a set sequence of skills again and again. Am I correct in thinking ESO's combat leans more heavily towards action rather than managing skill roulettes?

I think I do much prefer the art style, classes, and overall atmosphere and look in FFXIV though. For those who've played both, which one do you like more so far?

Lucifon

I'm really curious to hear more opinions of how this game stacks up to FFXIV so far, from those people who've played both.

I've just started playing FFXIV again after a five month hiatus, and it's really reminded me of how much I enjoyed my time with the game. But the videos and impressions of ESO have me really curious-- especially the combat and the world. It seems much more open and exploration based, which I love, and I like the idea of a more reactionary style of combat which places more emphasis on dodging and action rather than going through a set sequence of skills again and again. Am I correct in thinking ESO's combat leans more heavily towards action rather than managing skill roulettes?

I think I do much prefer the art style, classes, and overall atmosphere and look in FFXIV though. For those who've played both, which one do you like more so far?

It's very different. FFXIV for me kind of fed that MMO itch of reaching the next level, reaching the next bit of equipment. Combat was fun, but the quest design is terribly dull. I loved FFXIV though don't get me wrong.

Whereas ESO feels very refreshing. It's much slower paced, more about just exploring the world and enjoying the quests in the same way you would any other TES game. I'm very early on but the combat does feel less about cycles, I burn out of magicka during a single encounter very quick so I simply can't really cycle my spells ha! It just feels quite different to me, which for a game that looked so generic in the run up to launch absolutely blows my mind. I can genuinely see myself sticking with it for quite some time.

Ordinator

How are they doing this? It boggles my mind. I've seen botters in WoW drop out of the sky in a weird, glitchy way and land on nodes. Then they would shoot back up in the air without a mount.

Also, does anyone know if its feasible to do all crafts or should I focus on one or two? I feel like the points required to skill up in all crafts would gimp my combat ability.

Lynq

Banned
So... it's OK so far. I just can't get myself to start crafting. Auction House would be great - I don't have time to seek for all the materials, I'm just going from quest to quest.

Question: Do you think a Nightblade with healing staff would be a good healer? One of his talent trees is part-healing, or am I mistaken here? And do you know any good addons that would help me gather stuff for crafting?

jacket320

Should I be crafting gear or buying what I need if I don't get favorable drops? I feel like Im wasting money buying it but am unsure. I haven't done any crafting yet. Thanks!

Atomski

I havent even hit level 10 and I am already feeling fatigued. Just not that much exciting going on in this game.

Also my ingame mail is getting spammed by gold sellers. How were they not prepared for this..

Lynq

Banned
Don't buy from vendors, there are some nice weapons and armor pieces as quest rewards. And from lvl 10 (I guess?) you can do dungeons, suppose there's good loot there as well.

Could you guys talk more about first dungeons? Are they fun? Long? Good loot?

And could you tell me if there are any good addons for helping me find mats?

Einbroch

Banned
Don't buy from vendors, there are some nice weapons and armor pieces as quest rewards. And from lvl 10 (I guess?) you can do dungeons, suppose there's good loot there as well.

Could you guys talk more about first dungeons? Are they fun? Long? Good loot?

And could you tell me if there are any good addons for helping me find mats?

They're fairly simple, and easy with a good group. Dodge the red stuff. Tanking them were quite fun, however. Lots of mobs to gather up. Only boss that required any strategy was usually the end boss, and even then, if you have a brain you'll be fine. But this is to be expected of early dungeons.

I got a really nice bow and traded it with a groupmate for some legs.

Should I be crafting gear or buying what I need if I don't get favorable drops? I feel like Im wasting money buying it but am unsure. I haven't done any crafting yet. Thanks!
Either craft it yourself or join a crafting or market guild and buy other people's wares. You're wasting a fuckton of gold if you're buying gear from NPCs. Save that gold for bank and backpack upgrades, mounts, or crafting supplies.

Giggzy

I havent even hit level 10 and I am already feeling fatigued. Just not that much exciting going on in this game.

Also my ingame mail is getting spammed by gold sellers. How were they not prepared for this..

I'm curious as to what MMO is "exciting" at level 10? What are you looking for? These quests actually have a good story. Is killing 10 rats for a quest more exciting? Or are you not feeling the combat?

I'm genuinely interested in your reason.

Giggzy

Also, does anyone know if its feasible to do all crafts or should I focus on one or two? I feel like the points required to skill up in all crafts would gimp my combat ability.

I asked this question a page or two back and according to what I was told, you should focus on one profession. Doing two might be possible but you might feel skill point starved

docbon

I played FFXIV as an arcanist / summoner / scholar. I hit cap, and stuck around until shortly after the 4v4 arena was released. While I preferred the art style, and animation of FFXIV, I think ESO has a much better atmosphere, thanks to the quality of writing in the questlines, and their impact on the world.

Say for instance, you receive a quest to close a portal used by the Aldmeri Dominion to invade the Alik'r Desert. Once you shut the portal, and complete the quest, your character will permanently phase to an instance where the invaders are no longer spawning, and Alik'r warriors have taken control of the area. This does have a side effect for grouping at times, since you won't see players who are on a different step of the quest, but Zenimax has said they're working on the issue.

Also, any choices you make during a quest will affect how NPCs respond to you. This is especially interesting when you run into recurring characters later in the story.

As for the world itself, the zones are sectioned off into regions, but each region is very large, and open enough that you can spend a great deal of time exploring them. The best way I can describe it: it's a theme park without the quest hubs, and exploration as its main attraction.

As far as the combat goes, so far I feel like it's a mechanically clunkier version of the action combat seen in GW2, but with character building that shares some of the openness of The Secret World. The concept of the trinity is still there, but it's not nearly as rigidly defined as in FFXIV. PvP is a whole different beast that commonly gets compared to DAoC, and is the main reason I'm hyped for reaching endgame.

I can't speak on the game from the perspective of someone who's reached the endgame, but I feel the journey there has been infinitely more enjoyable for me in ESO.

I'm curious as to what MMO is "exciting" at level 10? What are you looking for? These quests actually have a good story. Is killing 10 rats for a quest more exciting? Or are you not feeling the combat?

Some dudes might just prefer the sandbox format.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what level do you guys reckon you need to be to solo earlier dungeons?

like if I wanted to do the lvl 12ish ones for the skill points

Calcium

Banned
I decided to hop on an alt this morning to try out the Nightblade and the lower level zones are infested with bots. It's ridiculous how many there are. Hopefully Zenimax can nail this kind of thing down soon because getting resources is pretty rough at this point.

Dunlop

Do you have the ESOhead addon by chance? I heard it was causing issues after the last patch.
No I never installed it because I read about the issues

I have the combat text, shard location and mini map ones though

(sorry behind firewall, cannot lookup what the real names are)

I'll remove them all tonight, although they make the interface SO MUCH BETTER ; )

Hawk269

Crafting for what you want is the best way to go. I learned this after spending $700 on a new Bow after I leveled up. I then got into crafting and made a bow just as good by crafting it myself. Crafting is a lot of fun, but can be time consuming to collect the resources for it, then dedicating skill points to make things easier is a big trade off versus increasing your characters fighting ability.

It is a give and take. Right now, I am going after woodworking and I am going to do another one, not sure which one though. I have been having good luck finding wood and ore, so I might do blacksmith as well. But being primary a bow person with light armor, blacksmithing won't help myself, it would be good for others and selling things I make, so still not 100%. I need to join a trading guild or something. Perhaps I should just trade all my ore for wood and keep focusing that way.

But if anyone in the guild needs a good bow let me know as I can craft some pretty good stuff up to level 14 right now.

Hawk269

I decided to hop on an alt this morning to try out the Nightblade and the lower level zones are infested with bots. It's ridiculous how many there are. Hopefully Zenimax can nail this kind of thing down soon because getting resources is pretty rough at this point.

I have played a lot of MMO's, but none for a long time. I think SWTOR I got my character to level 22 and that is it. So what exactly are these bots and what are they doing?

Atomski

Maybe its just MMOs in general but I wish there was more risks and player interactions. I enjoy stuff like Eve Online, even early game its like a game of cat and mouse not being hunted down by veteran players when entering low security areas. Something about that is exciting..

So far the only thing this game really has going for it is story which honestly isnt hooking me yet.. and it very much feels like a single player game with people who steal everything before you get a chance to grab it.

Maybe it will get more fun when I actually have to group with people, I dont know.

Dunlop

But if anyone in the guild needs a good bow let me know as I can craft some pretty good stuff up to level 14 right now.

I am ironically level 14 and getting pissed that I have not had any bow drops lol. The store doesn't seem to sell any at my level.

I'll buy one off of you..assuming I can as I am in the guild but in the wrong faction

...also assuming you mean NA ; )

@dunlop

Calcium

Banned
I have played a lot of MMO's, but none for a long time. I think SWTOR I got my character to level 22 and that is it. So what exactly are these bots and what are they doing?

They teleport around the world going from resource node to resource node. I saw a few bots attempting to fight too, but most of them were unsuccessful. They are pretty easy to spot because they are usually wearing the Soul Shriven garb from the tutorial and have names like "gegraggrg".

Took a few nice screens from some of my time on my new sorcerer. Not the best looking game ever, but pretty nice looking for a MMO.

13741788404_bfba89fa33_k.jpg

13741383715_b0d2ea8a45_k.jpg

13741425673_8f17fc69be_k.jpg

Calcium

Banned
Crafting mats are located in barrels, crates, etc... right?

Provisioning mats are in barrels and crates for the most part so if you aren't leveling Provisioning you can ignore them. The other resources have their own nodes or in the case of the various kinds of leather you have to murder stuff. You can find some mats in cabinets, drawers, etc. as well.

Kem0sabe

So i'm a bit on the wall in regards to my Sorcerer, been having loads of fun playing as a resto staff sorcerer but i'm feeling very sub par healing dungeons, especially in regards to burst damage healing, tho "oh shit" moments are hard to deal with.

Templar on the other hand seems to have that coverer with their innate healing skills, problem is their mana management is kind of shit.

I'm not sure if i should reroll templar or not to be an effective healer... opinions?

Top Bottom