• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

docbon

Haha, shit.

Finally decided to look at my achievements list to check some quests I've missed in the area I'm currently in. Noticed I missed 30+ quests scattered throughout the Daggerfall Covenant areas.

I guess you don't need to complete every quest you come across to progress.

edit: I'm veteran rank 2, btw.

Haha, shit.

Finally decided to look at my achievements list to check some quests I've missed in the area I'm currently in. Noticed I missed 30+ quests scattered throughout the Daggerfall Covenant areas.

I guess you don't need to complete every quest you come across to progress.
I just checked and I'm missing 12 for now. I'm 42.

God I really like exploring I guess.

I've done like none of the dark anchors though, lol.

Delicieuxz

Neo Member
Oblivion and Skyrim were pretty over-hyped, too, to be honest. Bethesda dump massive bucks into their advertising, and while its conjecture and provocative, I consider it highly probable that Beth buys/barters many reviews, or at minimum incentivizes to have certain points hyped and others ignored - or maybe conditions receiving preview-copies upon agreement to only list positive things, or list them in certain ways. Not an unheard-of practice, but I suspect Beth/Zen does it to greater emphasis than other publishers.

MrXavier

Oblivion and Skyrim were pretty over-hyped, too, to be honest. Bethesda dump massive bucks into their advertising, and while its conjecture and provocative, I consider it highly probable that Beth buys/barters many reviews, or at minimum incentivizes to have certain points hyped and others ignored - or maybe conditions receiving preview-copies upon agreement to only list positive things, or list them in certain ways. Not an unheard-of practice, but I suspect Beth/Zen does it to greater emphasis than other publishers.
Overhyped? I thoroughly believe Oblivion and Skyrim fulfilled the hype. I easily spend over 200+ hrs on each.

MrXavier

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/eso-launcher-graphics-enhancer/

Darith, a user on Tamriel Foundry, released a mod that increases the view distance of the game among other features. There's a few issues at the moment, but it's showing great potential.

Download at your own risk, of course.

Any type of mod that uses a memory injection should be taken with caution. I would not recommend it at all.

Another reason why to take caution, someone asked for the source code. This was the guy's response.

No you may not, feel free to not use it though. ;p

Hellers

What puzzles me is that just removing the fog makes the game look so much better and on my PC anyway doesn't impact performance at all. Why do we have so much fog at all?

HowZatOZ

Banned
His complaints about the horses prices seems odd. I guess coming from an MMO background it doesn't seem bizarre to note that a mode of transportation is used as a gold sink, and its become a standard in the genre.

Some of his other points I can agree with, like the annoyance of bugs and such but Angry Joe always seems to pander to a typical type of reviewer (which is fine by me). He seems to hate the MMO part of the game, but enjoy the single-player Elder Scrolls stylings that Zenimax have added into ESO. I think that may be the biggest problem for some, in that they want an Elder Scrolls MMO but don't realise what that actually means in terms of gameplay and its mechanics.

Nydius

His complaints about the horses prices seems odd. I guess coming from an MMO background it doesn't seem bizarre to note that a mode of transportation is used as a gold sink, and its become a standard in the genre.

I think ESO's prices on mounts are a bit much. Gold sinks for travel conveniences is fine but these seem artificially high. Joe comes across as a bit of a tin-foil-hatist with the money issue but the horse costs do seem excessive. If I had to choose to grind for vanilla WoW epic ground travel (circa 2005) or save up for ESO's higher level horse, I'd choose the vanilla WoW gold grind over ESO's.

He seems to hate the MMO part of the game, but enjoy the single-player Elder Scrolls stylings that Zenimax have added into ESO. I think that may be the biggest problem for some, in that they want an Elder Scrolls MMO but don't realise what that actually means in terms of gameplay and its mechanics.

I didn't get that vibe at all. Joe spends a good amount of time past the 10 minute mark complaining that he wanted ESO to be a solid MMO where he could group with friends and other players but that the group based MMO elements are so poorly implemented that grouping outside of dungeons and pvp is a hindrance to the entire experience. Watching his video and other videos of gameplay, I'm inclined to agree. When you're grouped working on the same quests and phasing continually bugs out or one player has to wait to click the exact same quest objective because the game doesn't share quest tracking as a group, that's pretty bad.

I don't get the hate, Stability is a bit wonky. I get that hate. Downtime during primetime way to often and zoning issues but yeah...

I'm having a blast, doing them quests and enjoying all them lores. I guess haters gotta hate though. I'd say it's the best MMO in a looong time. It's very cozy just to explore and run around, not chase end tier raiding and veteran ranks. I'll get there when I get there.

EDIT: I agree with the grouping. It's a bit crap to be honest. TSW did it well there.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I like that people complain about immersion being broken because of so many people around you, but don't make note of how some effort is made to keep immersion intact.

I am in one of the final Mages Guild areas and there are others around me. One of the key NPCs to the story follows you around. However only your NPC is the main character, everyone else's is just "Guild Battlemage". Kinda neat.

That was one of my irks with SWTOR. The 229012910 clones of your companions around the galaxy makes zero sense.

I hear you 100% on this, I would go so far as to say - what are people doing playing an MMO that can't suspend disbelief enough to maintain immersion?

I know there are other 'real' people doing quests and such that I may have done - but I don't let it ruin my adventure, in my head I'm the only one out to ruin Molag Bal's plans... the rest are just 'fellow adventurers, doing their own thing in Tamriel' etc.

People want more social interaction and more immersion all at once.. they don't mix so well.

I hear you 100% on this, I would go so far as to say - what are people doing playing an MMO that can't suspend disbelief enough to maintain immersion?

I know there are other 'real' people doing quests and such that I may have done - but I don't let it ruin my adventure, in my head I'm the only one out to ruin Molag Bal's plans... the rest are just 'fellow adventurers, doing their own thing in Tamriel' etc.

People want more social interaction and more immersion all at once.. they don't mix so well.
Yeah, I think the game does a fair job at keeping things immersive despite the shortcomings of the genre. At the very least, it shows the developers gave it a thought.

I also like that moral decisions hold some weight. Nothing mind blowing, but NPCs and future quests will bring up past decisions. Also a lot of moral decisions tend to be morally grey and not black and white.

Again, something I wish SWTOR had achieved with its morality system.

I really need to get into PVP. I keep getting sidetracked questing. I'm tempted to see how the game handles quests/dungeons in Cyrodiil.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm in the same boat, looking forward to getting into some hearty skirmishes on the PvP side of things now that I'm starting to level a bit quicker..... might even get me some kills :D

Prototype

Just watched the Angry Joe review of the game. Excellent review. Makes a lot of great points as usual. I still can't get over locking an entire race behind a paywall. Can't believe they thought that was a good idea.

Haven't checked the AJ review, but I watched him stream the game for 2 hours with his wife last week. He barely got anywhere before he went on a half hour long rant about horse prices.

I'm not even going to look at that review.

knitoe

How do I cancel this game? On the account page, according to goggling, I am suppose to see a manage subscription link, but I don't have one. Also, I don't remember entering a credit card. I only played the early start for like a few hours, didn't like it and haven't login since.

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
How do I cancel this game? On the account page, according to goggling, I am suppose to see a manage subscription link, but I don't have one. Also, I don't remember entering a credit card. I only played the early start for like a few hours, didn't like it and haven't login since.

The early start didn't require a credit card.

Hastati

I think one reason both games reviewed so well is that they carried their weight for at least the first 20 and 100 hours respectively, which is more than long enough for most reviewers to make up their minds about the quality of the game. That they both falter the longer you play them doesn't seem to show up in the reviews, and part of me thinks it's fair to judge them on the quality of the initial experience. For me, Skyrim was breathtaking at first, and very enjoyable even up to hour 100, where I very suddenly completely lost interest (and spent the vast majority of my time after that modding it without really playing it). I think that here are fundamental flaws in their game design that prevent long-term replayability, but at the same time these expectations may be too high for a story-driven game. Until they really figure out how to dynamically create believable stories and relatable randomly generated characters, I think we're going to keep hitting a cap somewhere.

I don't think it's all about hype and money, there was a lot of quality spread throughout what were quite frankly huge games for their time.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Aren't mount prices always a money sink in MMOs? I remember that it was next to impossible to get a mount before level 20 in WoW.

Strangely enough, I was able to afford my mount at level 20 in ESO as well. And I didn't grind once.

Personally, I kind of like that being a money sink. Also, zones in ESO are so dense with content I never felt that I was running forever to get anywhere... unlike in WoW where 80% of the time it felt like I was just running to get to the next quest.

Teletraan1

Banned
Haven't checked the AJ review, but I watched him stream the game for 2 hours with his wife last week. He barely got anywhere before he went on a half hour long rant about horse prices.

Dont look at the review thread either.

It is the usual crew crying for it to go F2P and the same folks that have been piling on this game from the start, not to mention some FFXIV peeps that need to justify their purchase. Complaining that a Horse is 42k gold when there is a cheaper horse for 17k. Its as ridiculous as complaining that the level 40 horse in wow cost more than the lvl 20 horse. While I agree the paywall race was a horrible move. I dont have to be an imperial. It is not like they are some imba class that I have to be. To be honest I have not grouped so I don't know what the problems are with grouping. I usually just explore everything and would never subject anyone else to my meandering leveling tactics. I am having fun with the game, yes it has problems. I dont know if I am going to continue on past my free month but I have played a lot by then for $40 and I feel it was worth it.

owlbeak

I don't really care much for recent traditional MMOs, but I am really enjoying this game. I took the recommendation of a few people earlier who said I'd enjoy it, if nothing else, for the Elder Scrolls story and I am. Granted, I'm only ~8 hours on my main character, but I'm enjoying combat and exploring and the quests aren't too "MMO-y" yet. I also really enjoy the 1st person mode, though I can't wait to get an FOV slider. It's WAY too zoomed in right now. I feel like I'm looking through a telescope and have absolutely zero situational awareness.

Also, I read that the game changed in Beta/after Beta and you no longer start in your faction's starting zone and you have to accept a quest line to go there and it's possible to miss the entire starting zone. I joined Ebonheart and took a quest to Bleakrock Isle and finished all the quests there, was that the starting zone?

KePoW

Banned
That's the issue in my opinion. If you have to work harder than in vanilla WoW to get a decent mount the devs are doing it wrong :)

The first horse does NOT take long to buy. The second horse does, but the epic mount in vanilla WoW took a long ass time too. I do not see this being an issue in ESO.

As for the other issue people are discussing, Imperial race behind paywall. I don't care about that because they are just another human race... there's nothing unique about how they look. ESO already has 3 other races that are basically normal humans, Breton / Redguard / Nord.

And there's certainly nothing special about their racial traits, it's equivalent to any other race.

Strange. I can run this game with High setting until I installed the latest patch, and it's so laggy right now it's almost unplayable.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

KePoW

Banned
Strange. I can run this game with High setting until I installed the latest patch, and it's so laggy right now it's almost unplayable.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

I played a lot last night and had no issues.

Unless there was a new patch this morning?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Mate, that pretty much is the whole review (not even joking).

He does throw in some good points that need addressing, but that intro was over the top - a direct kick in the dev-sack for ZOS; total click bait.

I played a lot last night and had no issues.

Unless there was a new patch this morning?

Yeah, I had no issues at all until I installed all the latest patches. The game lags right from the Bethesda / Zenimax intro sequence. Should I just re-install the whole game or is there a quick fix for this problem?

KePoW

Banned
Yeah, I had no issues at all until I installed all the latest patches. The game lags right from the Bethesda / Zenimax intro sequence. Should I just re-install the whole game or is there a quick fix for this problem?

Do you have any add-ons by chance? If so, try deleting all of them first (before re-installing entire game)

Mate, that pretty much is the whole review (not even joking).

He does throw in some good points that need addressing, but that intro was over the top - a direct kick in the dev-sack for ZOS; total click bait.
Heh, I watched it and posted in the thread, but I'm going to treat it like FitGAF treats fitness threads outside the OT. ;)

I'm completely with him on grouping issues. That plus bugs is s shame. The horse bullshit is whining at best,

Alur

As for the other issue people are discussing, Imperial race behind paywall. I don't care about that because they are just another human race... there's nothing unique about how they look. ESO already has 3 other races that are basically normal humans, Breton / Redguard / Nord.

And there's certainly nothing special about their racial traits, it's equivalent to any other race.

Agreed. I haven't quite gotten this argument myself. The Imperial race is pretty much exactly like 3 other races with a slight twist. Nothing remarkable. If anything people should be pissed that they paid an extra $20 and that's all they got instead of something useful like in other MMOs (gear with exp boost, unique pre-order mount, a title, etc), not the other way around.

The horse bullshit is whining at best,

Yessir. 17k can be scrounged up fairly quickly in comparison to the struggle it was getting a mount in Vanilla WoW or training successive upgrades with the BC expansion if you didn't play constantly.

If you don't have it, you're really not missing out on a whole lot until you've fed it for several days. You can tell a real difference when it's speed hits 25% or 30%, or if you're using it as a pack mule, but other than that it's initial value is limited.

KePoW

Banned
Agreed. I haven't quite gotten this argument myself. The Imperial race is pretty much exactly like 3 other races with a slight twist. Nothing remarkable. If anything people should be pissed that they paid an extra $20 and that's all they got instead of something useful like in other MMOs (gear with exp boost, unique pre-order mount, a title, etc), not the other way around.

Haha this is exactly how I feel. I paid for the $20 and quite frankly it was a complete waste. I will never create an Imperial character and I'm not even using the horse anymore (too slow).

The only slight value for me is the Imperial armor style, which I might use here and there.

I can make 17000 flipping items in general chat. Made 20k in one day buying and selling racial motifs.

WHOA are you the guy I was asking yesterday in guild chat if you're a serious trade pro??

Jezabel

Bought the dark Elf racial motif off the GAF store, the medium armor set my stealth archer is wearing now looks sick.

Really enjoying this game, only level 15 and still finding new quest in auridion

Hellers

To be honest even the cheapest horses aren't a total waste. Sure unbuffed they're no faster than basic run speed but the key thing is they can hold that run speed for as long as you like.

I've got three characters so far. Imperial Sorcerer. Argonian Nightblade and a Breton Dragon Knight. I'm finding the sorc the easiest to play so far. So much burst damage it's not even funny. That fighter's guild lizard woman boss fight at level 8 I didn't even realise had the orb mechanics. I bursted her down in before the first set of orbs appeared. My nightblade by comparison had to play smarter.

Yeah, I'm finding the sorc really easy to tank with as well. Though the only other class I've tried is templar.

Thundering Presence softcaps armor AND spell resist. I wear a mixed set of heavy armor and light armor to be sturdy and have magicka regen. I use an even mix of magicka and health enchants, same with my point allocation. I don't invest in stamina at all, oddly enough.

This gives me pretty high magicka, with food I am softcapped or very close. So I still get all the sexy high damage nukes to use in between my shield taunt. It's a lot of fun. Really didn't think shield/destruction would work well, but it's awesome.

hepburn3d

My in game email is getting flooded with bots trying to sell me money now. GRRR.

I think "bot" type behavior should turn you into an environment character allowing players to attack you. Would love to destroy the boss bot campers. Would be more fun than a Dark Anchor.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Oh man, that reddit post about being able to travel to Harborage like a wayshrine.

...I didn't know this.

yeah worked it out only 2 days ago, its quite nice lol.

pity you cant wayshrine out of it.

does the harborage lag like mad for anyone else? I'm fine everywhere else in the game

owlbeak

Was fishing last night and caught some blue rare fish, I took it and it wasn't in my inventory. :(

How rare are those fish? It was like a flesh something or other.

I am really struggling to pick a secondary weapon for my Nightblade. Two Handed seems good for AOE/crowd control, while dual wield seems good for DPS. And One Handed if I want to be a tanky Nightblade.

Or I could say FUCK EVERYTHING and do a staff because why the hell not.

Actually, here's a questions: Does Sturdy reduce decay only on death, or in general? Repairing armor just from playing normally is getting tiresome and expensive.

To be honest even the cheapest horses aren't a total waste. Sure unbuffed they're no faster than basic run speed but the key thing is they can hold that run speed for as long as you like.
I'm telling you guys, the secret best bug is that as long as you hold down the Sprint button on horseback, you'll continue sprinting, even once stamina runs out. At least, this works for me. I've never had anyone on the GAF guild confirm it.

Hellers

Apparently it's not a bug. If you rapidly hit shift the horse will run a lot faster but slow right down when the stamina runs out.

Or so someone told me anyway. Whenever I try it I get a warning about sticky keys that I somehow always forget to fix.

Top Bottom