• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

GhaleonEB

How did I not see that. Still, this is some absurd shit. I have almost 400k in gold just sitting in my wallet.

I've never completed the quest, myself. Partly because I've never had one character go everywhere the stones are scattered. And the other is because I learned (accidentally) what the reward was, and realized I didn't want it. I like gold being scarce, because if I'm rolling in gold then loot is less valuable; it's just a stat grinding upward. Loot for high level characters is one of Skyrim's bigger flaws, IMO; you end up rick as fuck and it just loses its value. There should be some crazy awesome stuff to spend tons of money on, like diamond chandeliers in our house or something.

I think the quest reward was badly thought out. By the time you've been to all the locations needed to get all 24 stones, you're going to be high level and thus drowning in coin. It really is pretty lame.

GhaleonEB

That would be so fantastic.

On the brightside I am madly in love with the Call Storm shout. The effect looks incredible.
I enjoy using Clear Skies to make a rainy day gloriously clear....then summon the storms. Controlling the weather so convincingly is really amazing.

On a related note, try using Storm Call in town sometime. Especially level 3 if you have it. Be sure to save first. Last time got me a 10,000+ bounty. :lol

You either have to spend hours selling gems or hours putting them in chests/dropping them.

I put all flawless gems in my safe, along with unique jewelry. I only sell the normal ones. But then, I don't have the extra gems trait going; I'd be drowning in them if I did.

Edit:

I'm level 77 and close to 78. Currenly I'm in Dawnstar, doing a little pickpocketing to get closer. I hit the couple that runs the armor shop, Rustleif, and his wife Seren. I take both of their rings, see I'm super close to leveling the skill, and go for Rustleif's gold. He catches me.

"Pickpocket! We've got a pickpocket!" he cries, and pulls a dagger. I step down from his house and toward a guard to yield. The one that comes running won't accept a yield, and takes a swing with his sword. I step to the side and dodge it, but hear it smack someone anyways. Turning around, I see he's hit Rustleif, who retaliates with is paltry dagger. He and guard are now dueling, and Seren joins in to help out. All three forget about me. I head over to the guard by the smelter, who has not approached me for pickpocketing.

"Wait, I know you...." he starts. I pay my fine.

Heading back toward Rustleif's shop, I see the guard that responded to his call walking away. And I see two corpses on the ground nearby. I'm kind of bummed - I liked Rustleif and Seren. Nice people. And now they're dead because I tried to pickpocket them.

I loot their bodies and head for Solitude.

Edit 2:

A courier had delivered a letter of inheritance from Rustleif's death, and some gold, lightly taxed. I always did like him.

THRILLH0

Banned
How does Skyrim fare on 360 these days? I only scratched the surface when I got it on PC back at launch which is now out of commission.

I know mod support is obviously missing but is anything broken or otherwise unplayable?

Tawpgun

How does Skyrim fare on 360 these days? I only scratched the surface when I got it on PC back at launch which is now out of commission.

I know mod support is obviously missing but is anything broken or otherwise unplayable?

I play it on 360.

It's fine. Load times are annoying but whatever. And it will freeze up in the menus for like 5 seconds sometimes.

Other than that its fine.

Onikaan

Really wish I could shake the habit of fast traveling. I promised myself I wouldn't use it when I started the game, but it's like giving a kid an open candy bar and telling him not to eat it.

Ever.

ramparter

Banned
360 player here too, game runs fine, I wish it supported mods - I always play the vanilla game first but I'd like to try some mods later.

mubblegum

Neo Member
Hi guys, I've got the house in Dawnstar with Hearthfire and I've added all the rooms available, but I want to adopt a child and still don't have the option to build a child's room - any ideas?

I don't seem to have any letter about this, just the "Consider Adoption" letter. Thanks!

GhaleonEB

Hi guys, I've got the house in Dawnstar with Hearthfire and I've added all the rooms available, but I want to adopt a child and still don't have the option to build a child's room - any ideas?

I don't seem to have any letter about this, just the "Consider Adoption" letter. Thanks!

You should have the option to add a couple of beds, usually upstairs, at one of the work stations. There's doesn't need to be a separate bedroom. One you have added those beds, you can adopt kids, either at the orphanage or by talking with some of the homeless kids in the main towns.

Alternately, if you had already bought a home in one of the towns, you can talk to the steward and the option to convert a room into a kids room will be available. (Though I prefer the built rooms, more space for loot.)

My character is nearing the end, she's hit level 78 and I'm prowling for a Legendary dragon. Last night I killed six dragons, three in Skyrim and three in Solstheim, no luck. Today I wandered aross half of Skyrim and didn't find a single dragon. Are they super rare or something?

You should have the option to add a couple of beds, usually upstairs, at one of the work stations. There's doesn't need to be a separate bedroom. One you have added those beds, you can adopt kids, either at the orphanage or by talking with some of the homeless kids in the main towns.

Alternately, if you had already bought a home in one of the towns, you can talk to the steward and the option to convert a room into a kids room will be available. (Though I prefer the built rooms, more space for loot.)

My character is nearing the end, she's hit level 78 and I'm prowling for a Legendary dragon. Last night I killed six dragons, three in Skyrim and three in Solstheim, no luck. Today I wandered aross half of Skyrim and didn't find a single dragon. Are they super rare or something?

Nah, that age-old adagio of "if you're looking for something, you won't find it" just holds true in your case.

GhaleonEB

Nah, that age-old adagio of "if you're looking for something, you won't find it" just holds true in your case.

Yeah, pretty much.

I took to scouring dragon lairs I had visited before, but found only low level ones there. So I headed south for a section of the map I hadn't explored on this character, and realized there was one major location I hadn't found: Arcwind Point. Probably my favorite outdoors location in the game.

On the way there, I got a flyby from a dragon, the shape of which I hadn't seen before. It was just doing one of those low circles, prowling for targets. But for some reason it couldn't see me, or at least wouldn't engage. While lobbing arrows at it, I stumble into a small bandit camp, and by the time I look back up, it's gone. That was about a mile from my destination.

Heading to Arcwind Point, the first thing I see is the same dragon, whomping on some Draugr. I run down the path and plow through the Draugr Death Overlord on the central chamber, using my two hander to finish him in a half dozen whacks. I turn around to find the dragon is indeed a Legendary and is breathing down my neck.

Amazing fight in an amazing place. I really couldn't have scripted it better, from the initial fly by - taunting me - to the location of the final fight. Luna's quest is fulfilled. Now Luna has just one task left: get married, hang up the sword and bow, and and settle down. It's the last achievement from base Skyrim I have left.

After, I'm taking a break from Skyrim to work through Portal 2. I'll come back before the next DLC to make a vampire lord. A short-lived character to go on an extended rampage and knock off the final achievement.

Is there a jungle province in Tamriel? Maybe certain areas of Hammerfell or Elsweyr.

I hate tropical settings in video games. I hope TES VI gets multiple province treatment so I don't have to endure only one climate.

Valenwood is jungle. The home of the Bosmer.

TES VI: work subversively to free the wood elves from the Aldmeri Dominion.

Is there a jungle province in Tamriel? Maybe certain areas of Hammerfell or Elsweyr.

I hate tropical settings in video games. I hope TES VI gets multiple province treatment so I don't have to endure only one climate.

Cyrodiil was also supposed to be a jungle, but they retconned it in ES IV: Oblivion.

Razorskin

----- ------
Replaying the game after long hiatus as a bosmer archer thief build, it's great to be playing again. Using fast travel very little as before.
I encountered a scenario where I accidentally stole a book in front of a guard in falkreach, I used my thane influence to get him off my back. Days later hired thugs come to kill me in Falkreach, I run to guards in the town for aid and they just back away and don't do anything. I kill the thugs, and find out it was the damn guard who hired them because he saw me steal the book. is it normal for guards to never help in that scenario or was my case special?

Also is there any way to make werewolf form more powerful?

Replaying the game after long hiatus as a bosmer archer thief build, it's great to be playing again. Using fast travel very little as before.
I encountered a scenario where I accidentally stole a book in front of a guard in falkreach, I used my thane influence to get him off my back. Days later hired thugs come to kill me in Falkreach, I run to guards in the town for aid and they just back away and don't do anything. I kill the thugs, and find out it was the damn guard who hired them because he saw me steal the book. is it normal for guards to never help in that scenario or was my case special?

Also is there any way to make werewolf form more powerful?

You can make it more powerful if you have the Dawnguard expansion as it comes with a perk tree. The way you earn perks is by eating the heart of someone who is dead whilst in werewolf form.

I can't remember if there are any conditions other than being a werewolf and having the expansion though.

Razorskin

----- ------
You can make it more powerful if you have the Dawnguard expansion as it comes with a perk tree. The way you earn perks is by eating the heart of someone who is dead whilst in werewolf form.

I can't remember if there are any conditions other than being a werewolf and having the expansion though.

Alright that's good to know, and yeah I did get Hircine's Ring (uncursed), but I still feel much stronger out of werewolf form than in it. Especially if I ever want to change during battle which is useless because as I'm transforming I'm vulnerable to attacks.

GhaleonEB

Alright that's good to know, and yeah I did get Hircine's Ring (uncursed), but I still feel much stronger out of werewolf form than in it. Especially if I ever want to change during battle which is useless because as I'm transforming I'm vulnerable to attacks.

The perks added in Dawnguard can make you very powerful. I was taking out most enemies comfortably on Master difficulty when I was fully leveled up (more health/stamina, double damange). Ionly really had trouble with high level magic users and vampires, as they can deal a lot of damage as you close the distance. My daughter plays on Adept and was running around two-hitting some dragons while in Werewolf form. You get pretty beastly. (Sorry.)

Edit: I want the hoodie.

http://store.bethsoft.com/brands/the-elder-scrolls/alduins-wall-hoodie.html

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I tried patching my PS3 copy of Skyrim up to 1.08 today.

It crashed at initializing.

:lol.

EDIT: Speaking of the patch, is it ok for PS3 users? I've been sticking with patch 1.05 since it was released for fear of Bethesda re-breaking the game.

Woorloog

Banned
Cyrodiil was also supposed to be a jungle, but they retconned it in ES IV: Oblivion.

I think the retcon happened in Morrowind already... not sure though.
Was Cyrodiil in Arena jungle or temperate forest?

Anyway, current lore is that Tiber Septim transformed the whole provice from jungle to what it is in Oblivion, with a Shout apparently: "I breathe now, in royalty..."
What else could "breathe" refer to than a shout? Thu'um is one of the most powerful forms of magic in Nirn.

Woorloog

Banned

GenericUser

Is enchanted legendary deadric stuff the best gear you can get in the game? If yes, what is an easy way to farm deadra hearts?

I am lvl49 now, I will step out onto the plains of solstheim once I'm 50.

EDIT: Speaking of the patch, is it ok for PS3 users? I've been sticking with patch 1.05 since it was released for fear of Bethesda re-breaking the game.

I'm running the latest patch. It's fine.

789shadow

Banned
Is enchanted legendary deadric stuff the best gear you can get in the game? If yes, what is an easy way to farm deadra hearts?

I'm running the latest patch. It's fine.
If you have Dawnguard, Dragonbone weaponry is the best weaponry in the game at legendary. Daedric Armor is still the best Heavy Armor, while Dragonplate Armor is the best Light Armor.

Wallach

Technically it is, since it has the highest base armor rating in the game. Just remember that there's an armor cap in this game of 567 armor rating, at which point you're at the 80% mitigation cap for armor. This value isn't hard to hit at all in quite a lot of armor as you get higher due to perks and smithing improvements. If you're really determined you can make of the base armor types in the game hit that provided you're wearing all four pieces, and it's even easier if you're a shield user.

Onikaan

Enthir at the College of WinterHold will sell you Daedra Hearts. He has a room in the Hall of Attainment.

Another place... (Spoiler tagged because it's an Artifact quest).

Once you complete the Mehrunes Razor artifact questline, Dremora will spawn at the Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon (2 Inside, 2 Outside). They can be killed for hearts.

Ugh. Thank god i'm back.

Is there no way around the bug for this quest?-

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Fetch_me_that_Book!

I already found the book. :(.....PS3 version.

The game is amazing by the way. When i first started playing i HATED it. I wasn't into it at all. The graphics, the story, dialog, environment, music, the way bethesda streamlined the shit out of everything. No need for a Mortar and pestle or other apparatuses for alchemy? Really?

But i forced myself to keep playing and somehow i feel in love with it. Crazy how that works. The character design is better than oblivion, the world is more detailed and alive. Some areas are so dense. I just stand there looking around. The music. Oh my the music. I don't need to go into detail. Everyone knows the master that is Jeremy Soule.

I've been playing for over 70 hours and only at level 23, only did about 4 or 5 main quest, haven't been to major cities like Falkreath, Riften, Winhelm, Markarth, Mothal, and a bunch of smaller towns like Rorikstead, Ivarstead and others. Still haven't seen not one dragon either. Am i crazy? lol.

Game is ridiculously good.

Razorskin

----- ------
Ugh. Thank god i'm back.

Is there no way around the bug for this quest?-

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Fetch_me_that_Book!

I already found the book. :(.....PS3 version.

I've been playing for over 70 hours and only at level 23, only did about 4 or 5 main quest, haven't been to major cities like Falkreath, Riften, Winhelm, Markarth, Mothal, and a bunch of smaller towns like Rorikstead, Ivarstead and others. Still haven't seen not one dragon either. Am i crazy? lol.

Game is ridiculously good.

That wiki entry states that bug was fixed in the lastest pc patch, fingers crossed once it hits consoles that'll be fixed for you.

Have you done the dragon quest in whiterun? If not, maybe that's why you don't encounter them.

That wiki entry states that bug was fixed in the lastest pc patch, fingers crossed once it hits consoles that'll be fixed for you.

Have you done the dragon quest in whiterun? If not, maybe that's why you don't encounter them.

Figured you needed to do a quest to activate them.

789shadow

Banned
Good god, I would have an easier time choosing which of my children to kill than picking a perk in this game. I mean, even know I have all 80 planned out, I just can't decide.

GenericUser

Finished Dragonborn, pumped approx. 160 hours into the game. I think I am done at this point. When does redguard release? Will it feature a new landmass aswell?

EDIT: hearthfires is cool!

Onikaan

1200 points bought and awaiting the last DLC. Wonder when we'll see it?

Hoping they role the new patch out soon.

Top Bottom