• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane86

CrazyDude said:
booga-3.png
Is the intro really that bad? I've been avoiding any leaked footage. I assume it's the same as all the other Elder Scrolls games?

blahblah...blah said:
So will playing on the hard / very hard difficulties actually make the game unenjoyably difficult, or is it worth it for a bit of challenge?

EDIT: I also just got the patch installed. I'm so fucking ready.
Depends what you want in the game. I don't want to get my ass kicked by the lowest of foes, so I turned the difficulty down. I still get trouble from bandit leaders and stronger mages.

Spent more than five minutes trying to snipe a mammoth with my bow after it turned out slicing it with my sword didn't do much. Bows are crazy powerful in this game.

daviyoung

Banned
Shane86 said:
Is the intro really that bad? I've been avoiding any leaked footage

Judging by the comments in the 25minute thread it's basically Oblivion but prettier. I missed the leaked footage and can't find anything about it now since Zenimax got all shirty.

Fjordson

Shane86 said:
Is the intro really that bad? I've been avoiding any leaked footage. I assume it's the same as all the other Elder Scrolls games?
It's really scripted. Just sort of dull. It's when the game opens up that this seems to get really interesting.

Timber

blahblah...blah said:
So will playing on the hard / very hard difficulties actually make the game unenjoyably difficult, or is it worth it for a bit of challenge?
Def worth it in my case. It doesn't give regular enemies inordinate amounts of HP so it's not tedious like Oblivion. It forces you to be more strategic/creative in how you approach enemies, which is nice.

I remember someone saying that dungeons can actually be 'completed' in the sense that the map shows an icon next to the places that have been completed, but how is this determined? Is it based on killing all the enemies, or getting or all chests?

KorrZ

FINALBOSS said:
Anyone going to the midnight launch for this? Haven't been to a midnight launch since the release of 360/PS3

Yup, are you kidding me? I wouldn't make it through the night knowing it could be in my hands right at midnight. I have no choice, really.

Derrick01

Banned
Shane86 said:

I don't know how bad/good the intro is but from what I could tell in the separate thread that was made for it it was a lot of people who don't know western rpgs and especially Bethesda games and were complaining about things like animation, voice acting etc.

A whole lot of yelling over nothing important. The intros always suck in these games.

Wallach

Timber said:
Def worth it in my case. It doesn't give regular enemies inordinate amounts of HP so it's not tedious like Oblivion. It forces you to be more strategic/creative in how you approach enemies, which is nice.

I don't suppose there's anything in the game that indicates what actually changes with the difficulty settings? It's obviously not as bad as Oblivion's because you'd know immediately, but I'm wondering if it is exactly like FO3/NV or if it's doing anything new.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
I don't suppose there's anything in the game that indicates what actually changes with the difficulty settings? It's obviously not as bad as Oblivion's because you'd know immediately, but I'm wondering if it is exactly like FO3/NV or if it's doing anything new.

I imagine it's just modified damage/HP values but maybe there's something more.

Think I've got my character set, at least as far as the basic stuff. Dunmer, mostly spellcaster with a concentration on Destruction and Conjuration, and some sneaky thievery and light melee on the side.

Just found an in-game book that gave me a lot more insight into the happenings of the Fourth Era. I'm definitely using it as a reference when I update my story section.

FINALBOSS

Banned
MiDNiGHTS said:
I couldn't find anywhere that was doing a midnight launch.

Like every Gamestop on the planet is doing a midnight launch. Shame cause I always buy my games at K-mart. I really would like to get it at midnight and then pull an all nighter.

Timber

I didn't care for the intro at all. Thankfully it only lasted 20 minutes.

Also, there are as many crazy Schwarzenegger accents in the game as there are "generic" American accents.

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:
Just found an in-game book that gave me a lot more insight into the happenings of the Fourth Era. I'm definitely using it as a reference when I update my story section.

That sounds great. I can't wait to sit down by a roaring fireplace and read that stuff.

Wallach

Augemitbutter said:
are there any advantages if you choose to play on the highest difficulty setting?

Well, out of necessity your combat skills will raise faster. Plus you will get to tell people that you are not made of babies.

Fjordson

LeadGandalf said:
So like every other Elder Scrolls game?
Sort of. Not the same as Oblivion or Morrowind, though. In my opinion. It's even more in the direction of "cinematic, fantasy action" and whatnot.

Midou

Derrick01 said:
I don't know how bad/good the intro is but from what I could tell in the separate thread that was made for it it was a lot of people who don't know western rpgs and especially Bethesda games and were complaining about things like animation, voice acting etc.

A whole lot of yelling over nothing important. The intros always suck in these games.

I saw like 30 seconds of it and it seemed cool, as someone who has played Morrowind and Oblivion at least.

Gandie

Fjordson said:
Sort of. Not the same as Oblivion or Morrowind, though. In my opinion. It's even more in the direction of "cinematic, fantasy action" and whatnot.

I haven't watched it, so I am in no way qualified to comment on this anyway. It just occured to me that the phrase

It's when the game opens up that this seems to get really interesting.

could very easily be applied to both Oblivion and Morrowind.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Question: If using a one-handed weapon and a spell, both equipped in different hands, and you activate both hands, does your weapon power up? For some reason I was thinking going destruction and 1-handed would let me temp enchant with fire/lightning/frost, but now that I think about it I don't really know where I got the idea from.

Timber

Zeliard said:
Think I've got my character set, at least as far as the basic stuff. Dunmer, mostly spellcaster with a concentration on Destruction and Conjuration, and some sneaky thievery and light melee on the side.
This is my character to a T.

I'm not entirely certain what the difficulty settings modify other than that it makes it so that I'm prone to die quickly. Probably really basic stuff, no AI changes or anything like that. It's a Bethesda game yanno.

spekkeh

Banned
Nalsh said:
Anyone have the cloth map? Is it worth getting the physical copy for?
No of course not what do you need a cloth map for (it's not actually cloth but a sort of paperboard). It just has the same cities at the in-game map also has from the beginning.

daviyoung

Banned
spekkeh said:
No of course not what do you need a cloth map for (it's not actually cloth but a sort of paperboard). It just has the same cities at the in-game map also has from the beginning.

Makes me feel like I'm playing GTA Tolkein.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Another question for the guys already playing: Are the finishing moves forcing 3rd person perspective on you or can you do/see all of them while staying in 1st person mode?
I really would like the latter, while it isn't a personal game breaker, the switch really kills immersion a bit for me.

Wallach

Augemitbutter said:
i see. some other benefits would've been nice though.

It's hard to offer many incentives for it because you are free to change difficulty on the fly. They did something like this in FO3 where harder difficulties rewarded more XP. This was an iffy idea to begin with, but it was also exploitable. Guessing they learned their lesson on that one.

Fjordson

LeadGandalf said:
I haven't watched it, so I am in no way qualified to comment on this anyway. It just occured to me that the phrase

could very easily be applied to both Oblivion and Morrowind.
Ah, good point. I guess it's not all that different in that regard.

Wow, Beth really added in some interesting lore. For the ones who want to know what happened after "Lord of Souls" before heading into the world:

So the Thalmor arose in the Summerset Isle, not Valenwood. They'd always been a minority faction there, but had seized more power during the Oblivion crisis. From what I can tell, the Daedra even destroyed the Crytal Tower on Summerset during the fighting.

When the Thalmor seized control of Summerset Isle, they renamed it Alinor. They'd apparently been preparing for this for years, because they had their fingers all over Valenwood as well. They eventually invaded Valenwood and rooted out all Imperial influence. The Aldmeri Dominion was reborn.

In 4E98, the two moons vanished. The Khajiit, who are heavily influenced by them, obviously didn't like that one bit. Two years later, they reappeared, and the Thalmor claimed it was because of their magic. Elsweyr, now broken into two parts, joined the Dominion out of gratitude. By now, the Empire consisted only of Cyrodiil, Hammerfell, High Rock and Skyrim.

In 4E171, a Thalmor ambassador arrived in the Imperial City with a covered cart. He had an ultimatum for the Emperor, Titus Mede II. The ultimatum involved ceding large sections of Hammerfell to the Dominion, disbandment of the Blades, outlawing the worship of Talos, and so on. The Emperor refused, and the ambassador upended the cart, spilling the heads of all 200 Blades Agents in Valenwood and Summerset over the floor of the Imperial Palace. That's how the war started, and that's how far I've read so far. I'll update later.

Zeliard

Timber said:
This is my character to a T.

I'm not entirely certain what the difficulty settings modify other than that it makes it so that I'm prone to die quickly. Probably really basic stuff, no AI changes or anything like that. It's a Bethesda game yanno.

Yeah I don't imagine it's anything too major but I'm definitely still playing on the highest difficulty. Even a change as basic as enemies doing and taking more damage can be effective in this sort of game, so long as it's balanced decently enough.

And Dunmer don't get a bonus to Conjuration but that's no big deal, and they get their usual nice early bonus to Destruction.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Yeah I don't imagine it's anything too major but I'm definitely still playing on the highest difficulty. Even a change as basic as enemies doing and taking more damage can be effective in this sort of game, so long as it's balanced decently enough.

And Dunmer don't get a bonus to Conjuration but that's no big deal, and they get their usual nice early bonus to Destruction.

Illusion seems more conducive to that playstyle than Conjuration to me. Not that Conjuration isn't boss, but both Sneak and Destruction would benefit more from it.

MEATER

Carcetti said:
- Or 1-hander + spells Breton...? Help!

I did exactly that and I like it!

I usually use magic but also the bow or the sword.

I think with pure magic battling other magic users is a bit stupid as you just flame each other until one of you drops, so I usally go bow/sword on other casters.

Also since most spells in the beginning do not really have a long range you will have to have a bow against other long range attacks.

Bow also is pretty usefull vs. dragons.

But then... Just start playing and before you finish the first section of the game you will have the chance to try out all of the above, similar to the beginning of Oblivion.

Actually I'd say the most important thing in character creation is picking a race that looks ok to you. I guess I also could have made my Breton go Sword / Shield / Heavy Armor without any noticable trouble if I had found that I had more fun with that than casting.

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:
Wow, Beth really added in some interesting lore. For the ones who want to know what happened after "Lord of Souls" before heading into the world:

So the Thalmor arose in the Summerset Isle, not Valenwood. They'd always been a minority faction there, but had seized more power during the Oblivion crisis. From what I can tell, the Daedra even destroyed the Crytal Tower on Summerset during the fighting.

When the Thalmor seized control of Summerset Isle, they renamed it Alinor. They'd apparently been preparing for this for years, because they had their fingers all over Valenwood as well. They eventually invaded Valenwood and rooted out all Imperial influence. The Aldmeri Dominion was reborn.

In 4E98, the two moons vanished. The Khajiit, who are heavily influenced by them, obviously didn't like that one bit. Two years later, they reappeared, and the Thalmor claimed it was because of their magic. Elsweyr, now broken into two parts, joined the Dominion out of gratitude. By now, the Empire consisted only of Cyrodiil, Hammerfell, High Rock and Skyrim.

In 4E171, a Thalmor ambassador arrived in the Imperial City with a covered cart. He had an ultimatum for the Emperor, Titus Mede II. The ultimatum involved ceding large sections of Hammerfell to the Dominion, disbandment of the Blades, outlawing the worship of Talos, and so on. The Emperor refused, and the ambassador upended the cart, spilling the heads of all 200 Blades Agents in Valenwood and Summerset over the floor of the Imperial Palace. That's how the war started, and that's how far I've read so far. I'll update later.

Interesting.
I will personally fuck up every Thalmor I see. Are they all hostile?

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Illusion seems more conducive to that playstyle than Conjuration to me. Not that Conjuration isn't boss, but both Sneak and Destruction would benefit more from it.

Conjuration is mainly for the fun of it rather than for any major combat effectiveness, though even then, summons can be useful distractions. Illusion is great as a support magic type but since my char is mainly going to be a spellcaster I'm going to ultimately play around with various spells anyway.

MEATER

Anyone got a horse yet? Anyone else feel riding is too slow?

I miss something like in Zelda where you can at least boost the speed temporarily :(

Also the horse dies super fast when dropping from even the tiniest height :((

Seriously: If you get a horse keep it away from anything that is not the even road!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom