• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Conjuration is mainly for the fun of it rather than for any major combat effectiveness, though even then, summons can be useful distractions. Illusion is great as a support magic type but since my char is mainly going to be a spellcaster I'm going to ultimately play around with various ones anyway.

Can't argue with that. Conjuration pretty much owns.

I'm mainly going Conjuration & Alteration, with as much Restoration/Alchemy/Illusion as I can squeeze in there. I don't think Destruction will be getting much in the way of perks, but I'm sure it'll pull up the tail end of my more used skills (along with one-handed probably just from hitting things with bound stuff).

ape2man

Have been playing Skyrim now for the second day (been released in holland) but the game
has a realy hard time to WOW me after i have been playing Witcher 2 the last month.

Has anyone have the same feeling about this?

Timber

MEATER said:
Anyone got a horse yet? Anyone else feel riding is too slow?

I miss something like in Zelda where you can at least boost the speed temporarily :(

Also the horse dies super fast when dropping from even the tiniest height :((

Seriously: If you get a horse keep it away from anything that is not the even road!
Press the run button to make your horse gallop.

Not a fan of the horses at all. Mandatory 3rd person perspective + poor animations = no thanks.

Zeliard said:
Conjuration is mainly for the fun of it rather than for any major combat effectiveness, though even then, summons can be useful distractions. Illusion is great as a support magic type but since my char is mainly going to be a spellcaster I'm going to ultimately play around with various spells anyway.

I used to spam the hell out of conjuration in Oblivion, so I was level 100 even though my main level was still below 10. I'd then use sigil stones and soul gems to apply magika bonuses to my clothes then make a custom "Summon Lich" spell to last for a minute. Then each "fight" become a sit-back-and-watch-while-I-eat-popcorn. Fun times. :p

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Can't argue with that. Conjuration pretty much owns.

I'm mainly going Conjuration & Alteration, with as much Restoration/Alchemy/Illusion as I can squeeze in there. I don't think Destruction will be getting much in the way of perks, but I'm sure it'll pull up the tail end of my more used skills (along with one-handed probably just from hitting things with bound stuff).

I'm curious how effective the binding spells will be this time around. There do seem to be some a couple perks dedicated to it, at least for the bound weapons.

Wallach

PONGSTAR said:
Lockpicking question: They say that it is similar to F3/NV but I didn't play those games. Any tips for Skyrim?

Basically you've got two mechanics: a lockpick you can rotate within the lock, and something to apply force once you have the lockpick in position.

What you're trying to do is locate the correct position for the lockpick to be in for the lock mechanism to be compromised, then you apply pressure. If it's correct the lock will turn open. If it's not, you'll get resistance on the lockpick and if that happens and you don't immediately release the pressure, you'll snap your lockpick. The closer you are to finding the correct position, the farther the lock will turn; if you're really far off, you'll get resistance against the lockpick immediately, but if you're getting closer the lock will turn say halfway before it incorrectly jams against the pick.

In Fallout 3, you had about 180 degrees of motion to search through to find the weak point.

Sutton Dagger said:
I remember someone saying that dungeons can actually be 'completed' in the sense that the map shows an icon next to the places that have been completed, but how is this determined? Is it based on killing all the enemies, or getting or all chests?

Anyone?

Zeliard

lastplayed said:
I used to spam the hell out of conjuration in Oblivion, so I was level 100 even though my main level was still below 10. I'd then use sigil stones and soul gems to apply magika bonuses to my clothes then make a custom "Summon Lich" spell to last for a minute. Then each "fight" become a sit-back-and-watch-while-I-eat-popcorn. Fun times. :p

Haha nice. It'll be fun to see what types of summons there are this time around.

Lakitu

st5fu
Sutton Dagger said:

It's when you've cleared the dungeons of all enemies. Not sure why though, since they apparently respawn. But I guess it's just to let you know you've done it, and you can go back if you wish.

Exited a cave. Came across a hunter who was chasing after a deer, so I decided to give him a hand. Just as the deer hits the ground, a shadow swoops over us and the Dovahkiin theme starts to play...

It's dragon-slaying time again.

Wallach

Lakitu said:
It's when you've cleared the dungeons of all enemies. Not sure why though, since they apparently respawn.

Probably just to have an indicator on your map so you know you've been through the place in full before.

PONGSTAR

Banned
Wallach said:
Basically you've got two mechanics: a lockpick you can rotate within the lock, and something to apply force once you have the lockpick in position.

What you're trying to do is locate the correct position for the lockpick to be in for the lock mechanism to be compromised, then you apply pressure. If it's correct the lock will turn open. If it's not, you'll get resistance on the lockpick and if that happens and you don't immediately release the pressure, you'll snap your lockpick. The closer you are to finding the correct position, the farther the lock will turn; if you're really far off, you'll get resistance against the lockpick immediately, but if you're getting closer the lock will turn say halfway before it incorrectly jams against the pick.

In Fallout 3, you had about 180 degrees of motion to search through to find the weak point.
Thanks - I don't want to waste lockpicks learning the hard way.

ape2man said:
Have been playing Skyrim now for the second day (been released in holland) but the game
has a realy hard time to WOW me after i have been playing Witcher 2 the last month.

Has anyone have the same feeling about this?
Isn't Witcher 2 like... not Open World? How can you possible compare these two games then?

IMO Skyrim looks very good. It's a HUGE step forward from Oblivion. And not just in terms of graphics. I've played it for a couple of hours now and honestly, there is no single aspect that isn't done better than in Oblivion so far. I haven't played Morrorwind, so I can't comment on that.

I have also already encountered a glimpse of the radiant story telling Todd was talking about. Though, well... it wasn't working. Some women came around and told me she was caputured by some bandits and managted to escape and I should go check out the case (or whatever). She wanted to show me on the map but there was nothing added to it. :(

Well, this was the only "bigger" bug I encounter so far. Aside from that Skyrim totally fullfils my expectations - and those were extremly high.

MEATER

Timber said:
Press the run button to make your horse gallop.

Not a fan of the horses at all. Mandatory 3rd person perspective + poor animations = no thanks.

Plus the camera seems to stutter a bit when riding...

I could swear I pressed LB and nothing happend, no I gotta play some more to try this. Thanks!

Gandie

Blue Ninja said:
Exited a cave. Came across a hunter who was chasing after a deer, so I decided to give him a hand. Just as the deer hits the ground, a shadow swoops over us and the Dovahkiin theme starts to play...

It's dragon-slaying time again.

I hope the hunter helped you out...

_tetsuo_ said:
Clear that LZ, Dragonbon. We have a dragon en route to your AO for evac.

Dragon is oscar mike, I repeat, tango is oscar mike.

LeadGandalf said:
I hope the hunter helped you out...
He did. Got his ass handed to him. I almost did too, but then another hunter appeared and distracted it. Used my last restore health potions, pelted it from afar with my bow, then closed in with a fire spell and with sword equipped (it was a frost dragon). Weakened it with my Fire Breath shout, then burned it to hell.

And right as it died, the aurorae appeared in the night sky. Beautiful.

PONGSTAR

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
He did. Got his ass handed to him. I almost did too, but then another hunter appeared and distracted it. Used my last restore health potions, pelted it from afar with my bow, then closed in with a fire spell and with sword equipped (it was a frost dragon). Weakened it with my Fire Breath shout, then burned it to hell.

Dangit, need to go clean up now... premature ejaculation.

Cynosure

JQf48.jpg

:3

newsguy

So for those who have it or those who've been watching streams (I'm avoiding spoilers) is the game more accessible? Ive read multiple previews which say the game will appeal to a wider audience. I tried hard to love Oblivion, but it was so daunting for someone who's never played through this type of RPG that i put it down. I remember being bitten by a vampire and reading a faq that made me think I was way over my head. The setting and atmosphere really makes me want to sink 80 hours into this game, but if it's still as daunting i fear I'll put it down after 10.

MEATER

KorrZ said:
Has anyone confirmed if wearing Heavy Armor gives you penalties to spells? I really want to be a heavy armored battle mage.

I have heavy armor boots and gloves. I don't think I get any penalty from them when casting and if I do the game doesn't tell me. I also keep leveling heavy armor due to them.

However you should wear a robe and hood for magic boni like more mana and faster regeneration etc.

At least until you can enchant your own armor with that kind of stuff.

So I guess no penalty but a bit of an impediment in the beginning since not using robes will hold you back in the beginning.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Used fast travel for the first time. It saddens me, but I had way too much loot. :lol

How is the loot? Please...tell me. How's the loot? Can you compare it to something? Like what's dropping from mobs

Blue Ninja said:

My pants... so tight. I dare not stand up from desk right now lest I reveal the boner to my office.

Timber

MEATER said:
Plus the camera seems to stutter a bit when riding...

I could swear I pressed LB and nothing happend, no I gotta play some more to try this. Thanks!
Come to think of it, I think you need to hold LB, not just press it.

FINALBOSS said:
How is the loot? Please...tell me. How's the loot? Can you compare it to something? Like what's dropping from mobs
I desperately need a place to store shit. Let's put it that way. I'll give a more detailed description in a sec.

ManeKast

Just quickly (cause I dont wanna read thru the thread / spoilers)

How do you guys have this? Is it 11/11/11 somewhere already?

I thought it hit Aus first?

spirity

Cynosure said:

For those that want to know (which will be pretty much all of us here) christina is wearing a Versace leather jacket which is cropped at the waist over an Alexander McQueen top. She's teamed that look with over the knee lace up Christian Louboutin boots and bag and earring by Lanvin.

Wow, Christina. Wow.

angelfly

ManeKast said:
Just quickly (cause I dont wanna read thru the thread / spoilers)

How do you guys have this? Is it 11/11/11 somewhere already?

I thought it hit Aus first?
Some stores are breaking street date.

Gandie

I'm still waiting for the validation of my order on gamesplanet. Hopefully it comes, before I have to leave for class and work tomorrow, so the preload will be done by midnight.

DangerStepp

Fine Ham Abounds said:
If this isn't already a fill-in-the-blanks GAF standard chart applicable for nearly all big releases, it should be.
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. It applied to this game, every game before it, and every game thereafter.

FuttBuck said:
I would still destroy dat sideways hamburger, nom nom
If she doesn't eat you first.

Lakitu said:
It's when you've cleared the dungeons of all enemies. Not sure why though, since they apparently respawn. But I guess it's just to let you know you've done it, and you can go back if you wish.

Awesome, at least we now have a way of knowing where we have been or not. The completion whore in side of me is going to scream with joy when I get a little complete icon next to a dungeon :)

Luthos

Sutton Dagger said:
Awesome, at least we now have a way of knowing where we have been or not. The completion whore in side of me is going to scream with joy when I get a little complete icon next to a dungeon :)
Yup, I just know that I'm gonna try to get that complete icon next to every dungeon in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom