• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wallach said:
@Blue Ninja - Can you see if wearing light or heavy armor impacts spell effectiveness in some way? I'm curious to see if they actually kept this mechanic or not; someone has put it on the wiki and I can't tell if it's just an assumed carryover because there's no details.

Also, is it possible to place runes on any surface or only on floors?
I'll test it in the morning, but I have no idea. My character's hardly a spellcaster, I doubt he'll do much more than set things on fire or freeze them.

Which is also why I can't answer your second question. I'll probably never place those runes myself. I came across one on the floor in the aforementioned Necromancer lair, tiptoed around it, but it still went off in my face.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Avyrocky said:
Does it have to be played over Steam though? Can I just install from CD and fire away?

That's pants if I can't...

It's a Steamworks game. It requires Steam to unlock it.

Ghost23

I'm stumped on whether to play the game on Adept or the difficulty right above it. After playing Dark Souls, I have a fear that games will be too easy.

FuzzyNorman said:
I'm stumped on whether to play the game on Adept or the difficulty right above it. After playing Dark Souls, I have a fear that games will be too easy.

Me as well!! I just beat Dark souls.. I played Morrowind on the hardest difficulty slider level... I think i will do the same with this.. It will make any progress or power I gain even more worthwhile...

FuzzyNorman said:
Put it on master, immediately head to Whiterun, find a mammoth herd and some giants, and attack 'em.

You're playing DRAGON SOULS now.

Adept is more than enough for me, for now.

Carcetti

've dedicated my friday on starting this but will I do:

- Meleeing 2-hander nord...
- Full magic elf...
- Or 1-hander + spells Breton...? Help!

Deified Data said:
Why not a 1-hander/magic Nord?

I want to go for a kind of roleplaying build and those 3 feel nice in my head, a northern barbarian, frail mage and a foreign spellsword. it's gonna take me at least 2 hours to clear the character creation.

mr stroke

I really want to buy this game but I didn't care for the last Oblivion(of the short 2-3 hours I played it)
way too open world for me. Can I play this game on a linear path as I would the Witcher 2/Dragon Age or am I forced to go about, explore and make my own story?

ironcreed

Banned
Just got my text from Gamestop. It is indeed just about that time and I can't believe it is here. Not doing the midnight thing, though. It will be mine Friday morning at 10:00 AM.

Lakitu

st5fu
The review embargo will be up 5am pacific time. 1pm here in London, meaning that unless I rush things, I won't be here for it. Crap :(

Smash88

Banned
3chopl0x said:
When you say tomorrow what time zone is that? Game unlocks in 14 hours here in Australia, I may be playing before reviews are out :p

Well Brad of Giantbomb.com said on the podcast that his review is getting posted at 8am EST. So I assume that time?

Carcetti said:
I want to go for a kind of roleplaying build and those 3 feel nice in my head, a northern barbarian, frail mage and a foreign spellsword. it's gonna take me at least 2 hours to clear the character creation.
I know how you feel. I've just been RPing for so long that my first ideas for Skyrim have been a bit off the beaten path (i.e. a female Orc assassin or a bookish Nord mage-student).

mandiller

13 hours until unlock. I'm prepped with copious amounts of red bull and snacks. I'm going to hook my PC up to the TV and play all night.

I2AbH.gif

KingK

To Blue Ninja or anyone else who might know, I'd really like to know the differences between Light armor and Heavy armor.

Arment

KingK said:
To Blue Ninja or anyone else who might know, I'd really like to know the differences between Light armor and Heavy armor.

Heavy armor blocks more damage, but weighs more. Light armor weighs less, but blocks less damage. Depending on what you're wearing, you'll move around more or less spritely.

Heavy armor also makes more noise, which hinders stealthy movement.

KingK

Squall ASF said:
My bad, I meant to say races.

Ah, ok. For races, I would look at this page.

Every race has a passive ability and a once-daily ability, in addition to starting stat bonuses. The starting stat bonuses won't matter much after playing the game for a few hours, but some of the abilities might be more useful for different play styles (i.e. and Altmer's Highborn ability: Once per day, tenfold magicka regeneration for 60 seconds).

So you can easily be any type of player with any race, but some are more naturally inclined to be useful for certain types of play.

Arment said:
Heavy armor blocks more damage, but weighs more. Light armor weighs less, but blocks less damage. Depending on what you're wearing, you'll move around more or less spritely.

Heavy armor also makes more noise, which hinders stealthy movement.
Alright, thanks. So if I'm a Dunmer with high One-handed and Destruction, I'm thinking I might want to just go ahead and use heavy armor, since I'm not too concerned about stealth for this character.

Chris R

Whelp, just a little longer here at work before I head off to the various stores to see if anyone is selling the game early :(

Blue Ninja said:
High Elves start off with 50 extra magicka points. Bretons are more resistant to magic. Lore-wise, those two are the big magical races, too.
Gotcha. So are Dark Elves too jack of all trades? Are they a little lame in everything since they can do it all? or is it possible to build my character to a beast with sword/heavy armor AND magic at the same time?

Lakitu

st5fu
Someone posted the full perk list, but I don't know where it is. I was just wondering if Heavy Armour had a perk that meant it not weighing anything while wearing it. Similar to Oblivion.

bowery

Lakitu said:
Someone posted the full perk list, but I don't know where it is. I was just wondering if Heavy Armour had a perk that meant it not weighing anything while wearing it. Similar to Oblivion.

Yep, thats still in the game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: difficulty - I haven't touched the slider and I'm finding the game to be very easy, so far. never even come REMOTELY close to death.

On regular enemies I'm fine.

On bosses I need to chug a few health potions, and then I'm fine.

Lakitu

st5fu
mlarine said:
Yep, thats still in the game.

Thanks!

KingK said:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Heavy_Armor
Yep, that's in.
At the bottom of that page, they have links to every skill's page, with all of the perks.

Cheers. If I don't get the game tomorrow at least I'll have the full perk list to help plan out my character.

K701

Banned
Those fucks from gamesplanet did not answer my emails so I went ahead and bought it on steam. What pisses me off is that they charge my card first and then say they couldn't verify it was actually my card.

Eeikod said:
Can you mix magic and archery in this game? I always wanted that...
I've heard it's a bit tougher. In Oblivion you could cast spells with a bow in the off-hand, but apparently weilding a bow in this game takes up both hands. So you'll have to hotkey the bow and unequip it for spellcasting. This is what I've heard, anyway.

Ketch

K701 said:
Those fucks from gamesplanet did not answer my emails so I went ahead and bought it on steam. What pisses me off is that they charge my card first and then say they couldn't verify it was actually my card.

Never heard of gamesplanet... are you sure it's not a scam? Just call your credit card company and tell them they ripped you off, they could probably reverse the charge or something.

Sinoox

Banned
Lucky bastards who get to play early! I really hope the PC version is worth the wait...

Why must Bethesda do this to us? ಥ_ಥ

BlazingDarkness said:
The embargo is pretty ridiculous

On the bright side, reviewers have had more than a couple of days with the game before being forced to submit their reviews.

Though to be honest, reviews don't matter to me for this game.

iSimon

EasyTGT said:
Never heard of gamesplanet... are you sure it's not a scam? Just call your credit card company and tell them they ripped you off, they could probably reverse the charge or something.
It's a legit company, I got Modern Warfare 3 from them for $42. Their customer service is just rather lacking.

KingK said:
Ah, ok. For races, I would look at this page.

Every race has a passive ability and a once-daily ability, in addition to starting stat bonuses. The starting stat bonuses won't matter much after playing the game for a few hours, but some of the abilities might be more useful for different play styles (i.e. and Altmer's Highborn ability: Once per day, tenfold magicka regeneration for 60 seconds).

So you can easily be any type of player with any race, but some are more naturally inclined to be useful for certain types of play.

Alright, thanks. So if I'm a Dunmer with high One-handed and Destruction, I'm thinking I might want to just go ahead and use heavy armor, since I'm not too concerned about stealth for this character.
Nice link! Thanks! So it sounds like I can do whatever I want with my character, it's just easier initially to stick with what attribute bonuses you start out with. I want to be a beast with magic and be able to use the best equipment. I'm thinking Dunmer is the way to go and I'll just beef up destruction and use heavy sword and armor. Once the armor weighs nothing, it will be awesome. You can always swap to light armor if doing stealthy stuff anyway, right?

Also, can you change your attribute points around or is it set in stone once you apply it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom