• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kud Dukan

I still have no idea what type of character I want to play as. I usually like to roll a Warrior, with a bit of magic, but the magic in this one looks so cool I sorta want to focus almost exclusively on building a mage...decisions, decisions!

Timber

The perks are a great way of meeting TES' practice makes perfect stuff with a more traditional leveling system. They may not look exciting on a list, but they're all highly practical and useful and I'm having to make some hard decisions because of how the level to perk ratio is skewed.

I got a text message from GameStop saying the game would be available at 12:01 AM Friday, and "arrive 10pm Thu to finalize payment."

I've never preordered from Gamestop before - what does that mean? Do I actually need to show up by 10PM to pay the balance? Or could I just do that Friday (probably after work)?

newsguy

Fong Ghoul said:
I got a text message from GameStop saying the game would be available at 12:01 AM Friday, and "arrive 10pm Thu to finalize payment."

I've never preordered from Gamestop before - what does that mean? Do I actually need to show up by 10PM to pay the balance? Or could I just do that Friday (probably after work)?
Nah. You can just show up at midnight

mik83kuu

Banned
Will definetily play a sneaky thief with skills in anything related to pickpocketing, stealing, sneaking, bows, 1-handers and such. The thing is... I might go for an Orc just for shits and giggles.

Anyone else planning to do an unconventional race/"class" combo?

Edit: In the end I might just roll a cat-man, because that would be a first ever furry for me.

Fong Ghoul said:

If you plan to be there by midnight, they like to finalize the payments beforehand to speed the process of handing out the games.
As long as you show up within 48 hours of the release date, you can just go in and pay like normal.

BrettWeir

Fong Ghoul said:

Show up before 10 and pay. They give you receipts/ticket to make the whole midnight release go smoother. That way, they don't have 50 people standing around waiting to pay, holding up everyone else. Goes a lot smoother.

JambiBum

Fong Ghoul said:

They prefer it if you show up around 10 so that they can make sure that everyone has paid it off and is ready to go. It makes the whole process easier. Once midnight comes they can just pass out the games and go. If you just show up at midnight it causes a clog in the lines because everyone has to wait for you to pay.

DEO3

GarthVaderUK said:
Though to be honest, reviews don't matter to me for this game.

Yup, though I read gaming forums for a couple of hours every day, I probably only buy maybe one game a year due to being an old man with a job and a family and shit. That said, there are a couple of franchises out there that I always end up buying on day one because they've proven over the years to give me hundreds of hours of entertainment, and The Elder Scrolls is one of them.

I don't know whether to go Altmer, Bosmer or Breton. Dunmer have pretty cool starting bonuses, but they look too ridiculous to be Dovahkiin.

Reuenthal

Banned
I think of going with Khajit. I hope they are indeed powerful unarmed for most of the game instead of their bonus not amounting to much, and having to use swords with them for Melee.

In any case the race will make for a good thieving character.

Timber

One thing that strikes me as kind of odd is that the elf races are hardly ever referred to by their Mer names. It's all High Elves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves.

MEATER

The perfect Dark said:
My horse killed two bandits. Didn't even notice them.
Thanks, horse.

Haha. Similar thing just happened to me, but it was three witches and the horse tanked them while I fried them with spells.

And when I say tanked I mean that it just charged into them once I was off its back!

The last one went down on her knees and begged for mercy but by the time I pulled my sword to deal the finishing blow the horse had already trampled her to death and bristled over her dead body.

Seems like my horse it bloodthirsty as hell - now I kinda love it ;) makes up for it being slow, lol.

Khezu

DevelopmentArrested said:
Anyone? Textures look god awful. Should I install to HDD or just run off disk?

Someone in this thread said it happens either way, and is because of the inventory screen blurring everything to make lists load faster, he also said unequpiing stuff and reequiping it helped sometimes.

Others say it only happens when the disk is installed.

iumogg

Neo Member
GDJustin said:
Re: difficulty - I haven't touched the slider and I'm finding the game to be very easy, so far. never even come REMOTELY close to death.

On regular enemies I'm fine.

On bosses I need to chug a few health potions, and then I'm fine.

Can you change the difficulty on the fly?

Also, am I the only who thinks the dragon shouts sound like Ryu yelling Hadoukem?

Smash88

Banned
Teknoman said:
Cant wait to hear about PC performance...hopefully i'll be able to hit 40-60 constantly.

The specs aren't that ridiculous. They are still using their modified Gamebryo (Is that what's it called?)- aka Creation Engine - if you can run Fallout Vegas with good settings you are good.

Khezu said:
Someone in this thread said it happens either way, and is because of the inventory screen blurring everything to make lists load faster, he also said unequpiing stuff and reequiping it helped sometimes.

Others say it only happens when the disk is installed.
interesting. i just started, dont have any stuff and i don't have the game installed.
wonder if the patch on friday will fix this.

QP3

Still contemplating first character as a Nord or Imperial.

I want to do a one-handed/destruction warrior. The imperial would have better initial bonuses for that, but a Nord seems fitting for "Skyrim".

thoughts/suggestions?

KingK

Squall ASF said:
Nice link! Thanks! So it sounds like I can do whatever I want with my character, it's just easier initially to stick with what attribute bonuses you start out with. I want to be a beast with magic and be able to use the best equipment. I'm thinking Dunmer is the way to go and I'll just beef up destruction and use heavy sword and armor. Once the armor weighs nothing, it will be awesome. You can always swap to light armor if doing stealthy stuff anyway, right?

Also, can you change your attribute points around or is it set in stone once you apply it?
That's pretty much the character I plan on playing my first time too, Dunmer with high destruction magic and one-handed swords with heavy armor. And yeah, you can always carry around some light armor and equip that if whenever you want.

As far as your last question, I'm guessing you're asking about the points assigned to the skills? The way that works is that you level up any given skill just by using it, so if you wanted higher level alchemy, you'd just have to make a bunch of potions and stuff to level up that skill, for example. Every time you level up a skill, it gives you xp towards your overall level. Upon leveling up your character, you choose whether to increase HP, Magicka, or Stamina, as well as choosing one perk from some skill to unlock.

Reuenthal said:
I think of going with Khajit. I hope they are indeed powerful unarmed for most of the game instead of their bonus not amounting to much, and having to use swords with them for Melee.

In any case the race will make for a good thieving character.
I'm thinking of eventually making a Khajiit character named Ser Pounce.

Luthos

QP3 said:
Still contemplating first character as a Nord or Imperial.

I want to do a one-handed/destruction warrior. The imperial would have better initial bonuses for that, but a Nord seems fitting for "Skyrim".

thoughts/suggestions?
My thought process for these types of decisions: look at the bonuses, but don't base your decision just on it. This isn't an online competitive game, where people min/max things like that. My biggest factor in my race choice is what do I want to look like.

Blue Ninja said:
For the large part, they aren't. All the quests I've received today were within reasonable walking distance from one another. You'll occasionally have to travel a bit longer, but the world is so pretty that you won't mind. I managed to get around not fast travelling until I reached level 12. When I exited a dungeon already loaded with loot and then got engaged by a dragon, I just needed to offload my shit somewhere so I quickly fast-travelled back to Whiterun to sell it and buy a house with the earnings.

If you've got any more questions, shoot.

Are you saying you fast-travelled while engaged in battle? That's something Oblivion never let you do.

Sinoox

Banned
Teknoman said:
Cant wait to hear about PC performance...hopefully i'll be able to hit 40-60 constantly.

With a 5770 I'm hoping the same too, though 30fps at high or medium is totally cool with me. Mostly hoping for minimal game breaking glitches or other issues. Bethesda sorta has a reputation for releasing their games broken/buggy and fixing them later, but let's really hope that isn't the case this time.

Done preloading... now I wait...

Oooooh I'm so hyped! Its been a long long time since I've been so excited to play a video game, feel like a tyke again!

Anyone? Textures look god awful. Should I install to HDD or just run off disk?

From what I've read in this thread, the texture bug seems to affect the player character model in first person view, installed or running off the disc.

Clearing the cache or swapping equipment may temporarily fix it, but that hasn't worked 100% of the time.

QP3

Luthos said:
My thought process for these types of decisions: look at the bonuses, but don't base your decision just on it. This isn't an online competitive game, where people min/max things like that. My biggest factor in my race choice is what do I want to look like.

excellent point! After all, that is why I look forward to and enjoy games like this so much.
when i'm not playing bf3 online
Nord it shall be!

KingK said:
That's pretty much the character I plan on playing my first time too, Dunmer with high destruction magic and one-handed swords with heavy armor. And yeah, you can always carry around some light armor and equip that if whenever you want.

As far as your last question, I'm guessing you're asking about the points assigned to the skills? The way that works is that you level up any given skill just by using it, so if you wanted higher level alchemy, you'd just have to make a bunch of potions and stuff to level up that skill, for example. Every time you level up a skill, it gives you xp towards your overall level. Upon leveling up your character, you choose whether to increase HP, Magicka, or Stamina, as well as choosing one perk from some skill to unlock.

I'm thinking of eventually making a Khajiit character named Ser Pounce.

Yeah, the perks. I just read up a bit on that site you linked for me so now I actually know some terms haha I wanted to know if you could change your mind later and take away a perk and use that point for a different perk. I'm guessing no. So looks like you can get a maximum of 70 perks if you max out your level which allows for a pretty well rounded character, just have to be smart about what to get first.

I'm thinking I concentrate heavy armor, one handed, and destruction first and then sprinkle in speech, pick pocket, and lock pick as soon as possible. I can leave enchantment for later when I have more advanced stuff to work with. I want to get all the achievements so I have to be decent enough at the thief skills to earn that achievement.

Bungieware said:
I don't know whether to go Altmer, Bosmer or Breton. Dunmer have pretty cool starting bonuses, but they look too ridiculous to be Dovahkiin.

Depends on what type of character you're going to develop.

In Oblivion I was a Dunmer Battlemage. A jack of all trades if you will.

With Skyrim's refined spell system, improved spell animations, and perks I'm going straight Breton Wizard - all the benefits of the elves with none of their weaknesses.

With the addition of perks, there seems to be more of a benefit to be more specialized in Skyrim.

krpiper

I just changed my copy from the paperback guide to the hardcover guide. I would imagine with 600+ pages the hardcover binding will keep the pages in place. I would worry that the binding isnt as good in a 600 page paperback book

interesting. i just started, dont have any stuff and i don't have the game installed.
wonder if the patch on friday will fix this.

Are you playing offline? The patch should already be available if you have the game. IIRC some press stated they were prompted for the patch when they started.

krpiper said:
I just changed my copy from the paperback guide to the hardcover guide. I would imagine with 600+ pages the hardcover binding will keep the pages in place. I would worry that the binding isnt as good in a 600 page paperback book

I still have the paperback Oblivion guide, and its still in pretty good condition.

Arrg so I have to migrate our entire company's mail system this weekend Friday/Saturday and Sunday, deal with fallout on Monday/Tuesday. I'm just going to brick and mortar the pc version and activate on steam. Hope you guys have fun.
Feels bad man.

KingK

Squall ASF said:
Yeah, the perks. I just read up a bit on that site you linked for me so now I actually know some terms haha I wanted to know if you could change your mind later and take away a perk and use that point for a different perk. I'm guessing no. So looks like you can get a maximum of 70 perks if you max out your level which allows for a pretty well rounded character, just have to be smart about what to get first.

I'm thinking I concentrate heavy armor, one handed, and destruction first and then sprinkle in speech, pick pocket, and lock pick as soon as possible. I can leave enchantment for later when I have more advanced stuff to work with. I want to get all the achievements so I have to be decent enough at the thief skills to earn that achievement.

Keep in mind that, while the level cap is 70, there's a "soft cap" at level 50. This means that you'll level up normally up until level 50, and after that it will take a lot longer to level up your guy.

What I'm going to do is, on my first playthrough, have a Dunmer with all out offense. Lots of Destruction magic, one-handed swords, heavy armor, and maybe a little more in Restoration and Alteration to heal and buff my guys defense.

I'm also planning a second character, who will be a Bosmer with awesome stealth, alchemy, and archery skills, with some illusion magic and one-handed for when I need to fight close up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom