• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerStepp

Deified Data said:
That opens up a huge can of worms. Here we go...

My official statement: Time/resources spent on co-op are time/resources not spent on the single-player open world. TES fans tend to believe that the two features can't fairly coexist without detracting from eachother in some way.
I suppose I didn't give much consideration to that and I agree. I realize it would change up the whole formula even with only one other player.

It just seemed like something that would be fun running around that world with another buddy.

Woorloog

Banned
Deified Data said:
That opens up a huge can of worms. Here we go...

My official statement: Time/resources spent on co-op are time/resources not spent on the single-player open world. TES fans tend to believe that the two features can't fairly coexist without detracting from eachother in some way.
Increased budget to allow development of netcode etc needed, no need for matchmaking, no balancing for multiplayer (ramp up that difficulty slider), shared quest log and players need to decide which one talks and makes choices, as minimal as possible. Hell, make it as DLC if that's needed.
Might attract a bunch of new customers who really like co-op games/play only if co-op is possible.
Hell, limit the thing to LAN only if lag is issue otherwise.

It always feels like Christmas eve is approaching when a new Elder Scrolls is to be released. Eagerly awaiting this, ES is my favourite gaming-series.

DangerStepp said:
I suppose I didn't give much consideration to that and I agree. I realize it would change up the whole formula even with only one other player.

It just seemed like something that would be fun running around that world with another buddy.
It would. It totally would, but for me, it always comes down to that. I have 100% loyalty to the single-player philosophy, and I think Bethesda does, too. It's not that it wouldn't be fun, and it's not that it isn't "doable", but a TES game with a tacked-on co-op mode simply can't be the best game it can be. In my opinion, anyway. It was dumb of me to presume to speak for the whole fanbase.

KorrZ

Woorloog said:
Increased budget to allow development of netcode etc needed, no need for matchmaking, no balancing for multiplayer (ramp up that difficulty slider), shared quest log and players need to decide which one talks and makes choices, as minimal as possible. Hell, make it as DLC if that's needed.
Might attract a bunch of new customers who really like co-op games/play only if co-op is possible.

Bethesda already takes 3-4 years to develop their games and can't iron out all the bugs. You can't just half ass co-op they'd have to devote people to it from the beginning. I don't think splitting their attention is a good thing for the game overall.

Gravijah

AndrewDean84xX said:
Anyone else feel like we are participating in gaming history by playing skyrim?

this is it dude

a brave new world. gaming will never be same! i hope you guys brought a change of underwear.

Woorloog said:
That'd immediately kill off 90% of the 'new customers' who'd want to buy the game.

No, sorry, I don't think co-op of any kind is viable in a TES game. It'd require some hefty changes to the game's design in order to make it word properly.

spirity

I'm not opposed to a co-op Elder Scrolls. I wouldn't partake personally, but I'm not against it.

Now, an Elder Scrolls MMO (as I often hear requested on other boards)... NO.

KorrZ said:
Bethesda already takes 3-4 years to develop their games and can't iron out all the bugs. You can't just half ass co-op they'd have to devote people to it from the beginning. I don't think splitting their attention is a good thing for the game overall.
To me, time spent developing co-op is time that could be spent ironing out a shiny-new questline or a new faction. Time and manpower are hugely important - I want those resources allocated where they really count.

Woorloog

Banned
KorrZ said:
Hire a few more guys and expand the budget a bit, with luck it'll sell more. No need to split attention...

Hmm. Anyone know how Multiblivion/Multiwind worked? Those were mods for Oblivion and Morrowind, respectively, that allowed multiplayer (2+ players). Oh and Fallout 3 had one as well. Anyone here tried those?

I have never taken a day off to play a video game (and I'm 34), but I've got 11/11/11 off. I told work it was "just in case the world ends", but really I've got a concert that night and couldn't bare the thought of not getting even an hour in on the release date. Assuming I have confirmation that the Steam version unlocks at midnight next Friday, I'll probably still set my alarm for 5:00 AM. If I want to play, I'll get up. I reserve the right to turn my alarm off until the cats wake me up around 7:00 AM.

Woorloog said:
Hire a few more guys and expand the budget a bit, with luck it'll sell more. No need to split attention...

Hmm. Anyone know how Multiblivion/Multiwind worked? Those were mods for Oblivion and Morrowind, respectively, that allowed multiplayer (2+ players). Oh and Fallout 3 had one as well. Anyone here tried those?
...or put those new hires to work ironing out quest-killing bugs. What's more in-demand?

Derrick01

Banned
spirity said:
I'm not opposed to a co-op Elder Scrolls. I wouldn't partake personally, but I'm not against it.

Now, an Elder Scrolls MMO (as I often hear requested on other boards)... NO.

That's supposedly happening but it has to be with a different group of people since the main team was obviously working on this.

I would much rather have an ES MMO done by a different group than a main ES game having co-op or multiplayer. I can easily ignore the MMO, not so much with the main game.

zlatko

Banned
I'm thinking of getting this from CDKeysDiscount.com, but I've never done business with them.

I see they accept PayPal and that Skyrim is up on there, but how exactly does it work if I were to purchase right now? Would the key they give me set up the game on Steam, but not let me play until the 10th/11th?

Skirn

DangerStepp said:
Would someone have time to make my avatar have a more decent helmet?

Mine just ain't right.
There you go. I'm not very good with GIMP, mind you, and that dude had some crazy hair:
2dgtcpl.png

With black background:
dvfz8i.png

Derrick01 said:
That's supposedly happening but it has to be with a different group of people since the main team was obviously working on this.

I would much rather have an ES MMO done by a different group than a main ES game having co-op or multiplayer. I can easily ignore the MMO, not so much with the main game.
That is a rumor. Todd Howard has gone on record opposing an TES MMO.

KorrZ

Deified Data said:
To me, time spent developing co-op is time that could be spent ironing out a shiny-new questline or a new faction. Time and manpower are hugely important - I want those resources allocated where they really count.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it. I play Elder Scrolls for the single player experience. It's undeniable that time spent on co-op is less time spent on single player, if I get even 2 more quests in the Dark Brotherhood quest line I'd much prefer something like that to co-op. I'm not against co-op but I just know I'd never use it. I like exploring by myself looking in every nook and cranny, going through every dialogue option. I don't really want to play with a friend who's constantly bugging to move forward.

spirity

Derrick01 said:

The thought of people running around -MY- Tamriel, typing Chuck Norris jokes into chat and shouting "YO whar dose the wolf blood dropp i ned it for quest lol" and jumping everywhere they go for no reason whatsoever fills me with rage. Even if I don't play it.

Great OT Blue, I'm quite excited for Skyrim. The Pocket Guide stuff is really great for someone like me who doesn't really know the lore IN DEPTH. Damn, hype as hell!

Derrick01

Banned
spirity said:
The thought of people running around -MY- Tamriel, typing Chuck Norris jokes into chat and shouting "YO whar dose the wolf blood dropp i ned it for quest lol" and jumping everywhere they go for no reason whatsoever fills me with rage. Even if I don't play it.

Just think of someone else doing it while you're actually there in the non MMO and you'll want them to do the MMO instead like me :p

Loxley

Deified Data said:

Tod Howard was quoted a few weeks back saying almost exactly that. If they'd allocated resources to make co-op, the game as a whole would have suffered as far as single-player goes. Since TES has made its name on a single-player focused world, its not something they wanted to do because it would have detracted from what makes the Elder Scrolls games what they are.

Wrekt

So how does stat raising work when you level? I didn't touch Oblivion for more than a hour or two because the leveling was so bad. Am I still going to have to jump in the same spot for a hour in order to make sure I can get +10 to agility and not waste levels?

I hope TES never implements co-op. Let this series be conservative on that point, there are plenty other co-op games to choose from. This is a single player experience to the core.

So how does stat raising work when you level? I didn't touch Oblivion for more than a hour or two because the leveling was so bad. Am I still going to have to jump in the same spot for a hour in order to make sure I can get +10 to agility and not waste levels?

This game is not ideal if you are anal about optimizing experience and levelling. Try to disconnect yourself from the levelling mechanic and you'll enjoy it much more. It is designed to handle itself based on your play-style so you don't have to.

zethren

Banned
Derrick01 said:
That it exists at all. The game would be so much better without it.

There's nothing wrong with fast travel when it's done right. If fast travel in Skyrim is as it was in Morrowind then I personally wouldn't have any issue with it. Morrowind did it right, in my opinion.

Clevinger

Deified Data said:
That is a rumor. Todd Howard has gone on record opposing an TES MMO.

He's not opposing a TES MMO. He's opposing his team doing it. Zenimax Online is obviously going to make it.

I just wonder how it's going to effect Bethesda's TES output.

Fjordson

AndrewDean84xX said:
The Hype Train! It's moving too fast!

mine has been off the rails for weeks now :p

Drazgul

Deified Data said:
Just Zenimax protecting its potential properties - you know how they are.

I swear, we'll never see a TES MMO. I'll eat my own foot if we do.

Want ketchup with that?

ZeniMax Online Studios, part of the ZeniMax Media Inc. family of companies, is a premier developer and worldwide publisher of interactive entertainment software currently working on unannounced MMOG titles from its headquarters in Hunt Valley, MD. ZeniMax is a trademark or registered trademark of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the U.S. and/or in other countries. For more information on ZeniMax Online Studios, visit www.zenimaxonline.com.

bengraven

The "Voice" aka Dragon Shouts:
I think the shout is the same for all males and then all females, regardless of race. :( The Nord male and Argonian male both had the same Dragon Shout voice. I suppose it makes sense canonically (since it's this omnipresent "voice") but it's disappointing

Drazgul

spirity said:
Wouldn't that be in reference to the Fallout MMO though? But it does say titles I guess.

They'll need to sort out the IP mess with Interplay first before starting on that (still ongoing afaik). And it indeed is in the plural, and no one seriously thinks they'd make a fresh IP MMO.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Great OT Blue. You done made me proud. A shame I was almost 700 posts late to the thread!

AndrewDean84xX said:

Rofl

Khezu

Wrekt said:

No, attribute modifiers are out, and most attributes too.

Now you can play how you want and just level your skills, you will still have to pay some attention, you can still screw up your perks and health/magic/stamina distribution, and as far as I know, there doesn't seem to be a way to respec.

I already got my copy preordered!
CANT WAIT AAAAAAAHHHHHHH. I got exams next week but I also have priorities. Skyrim for life.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I actually took the day off for this game. I hope they come through with a working PC version on day one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom