• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Wow. You bloody delivered, Blue Ninja. Well done my friend. Looks amazing. I love the section on the races, so cool.

Biggest game of the year for me right here. Such a long week of waiting ahead.

Socreges said:
Is there any way to pace my investment in this game? Like 1 hour a day? Or will it almost definitely suck me in (I'm pretty addictive with games)? I've never played MW or Oblivion.
If you are able to pace yourself, you are strong than most.

Was dipping in and out of a livestream of the game two days ago. I woke up the next day and he was still going. 17 hours straight.

Ranger X said:
Ok so, I am talking to people that did bought Fallout games on 360 and PS3...

I just pre-ordered Skyrim on 360 instead of PS3. You think it will be the best console version or not? I don't want the game to fucking load at every step on the world map like Oblivion...
Loading is quick and infrequent on the 360 version and it looks nice so that's a safe bet. We haven't seen the PS3 version, though I bet it'll be basically the same.

Piercedveil said:
How did this work? I never played either of those, just Oblivion.
Put it this way, I've spent over 300 hours total in those two games and I've barely noticed the scaling. It's very much more in the background. In Skyrim's case, it seems so much better than Oblivion. Plenty of enemies for you to kill, but also things out there that will dominate you in 1-2 hits if you aren't careful.

Despera

Banned
Midou said:
The last week always seems the hardest.
At least we have a lot of great games to keep us company this time around.

Almost done with Dark Souls just in time for Skyrim, as planned. Best year of this gen? Most definitely.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Piercedveil said:
There are enemies you will fear, and later conquer. There are enemies you will fear the entire game. It pretty much feels like there is no level scaling.

bengraven

Cameo character talks about snow drifts (LOL):
Snow falls...why worry where it goes? Miaq thinks the snowflakes are pretty.

Also, on extinct wildlife:
Skyrim was once the land of many butterflies. Now, not so much...

Deified Data said:
I figure the Skyrim CE only comes out once. Never bought a CE before and figured now's as good a time as any.
Until they release the CE for TES VI, which includes the game, an art book and a keychain for 200 dollars.

Believe.

Wallach

Piercedveil said:

Basically, areas have level ranges; if you enter an area the game tries to scale enemies to your level as close as it can while remaining in that range. So like, if you entered a dungeon and the level scaling range was 10-15, and you were level 13, it would scale things around level 13. If you were level 2, it would scale things to level 10, and if you were level 50 it would scale things to level 15. Once it sets that scaling the first time, it is (usually) permanent.

So will there basically be areas where I will inevitably get my ass kicked? Lol, I'm sure I'll understand more once I play the game.

Blue Ninja said:
Until they release the CE for TES VI, which includes the game, an art book and a keychain for 200 dollars.

Believe.
Eh, negative nancy. Skyrim is an event, and I want to comemorate that. If TESVI comes out with a $200 CE, and I deem it worthy of $200, I'll buy that, too.

Fjordson

Piercedveil said:
So will there basically be areas where I will inevitably get my ass kicked? Lol, I'm sure I'll understand more once I play the game.
Yes. Watching the game, I've seen it happen multiple times. Like I said, if you really get out there, you can stumble upon certain things that will kill you in 1-2 hits.

JambiBum

Piercedveil said:
Yes. Especially early on. This was the problem most people had with oblivion. There wasn't really much of a challenge.

Deified Data said:
Eh, negative nancy. Skyrim is an event, and I want to comemorate that. If TESVI comes out with a $200 CE, and I deem it worthy of $200, I'll buy that, too.
9rn56ske4c.gif

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well there was this tweet from Pete Hinds back in Sept.:

"watched Todd play Skyrim for quite a while. Had no idea he was playing PS3 version until he helpd up controller. So PS3 owners don't fret"

So I dunno, I'm sure it'll be fine.

TP17

Great OP, really enjoyed reading it. Cannot wait for this game to arrive now, have it pre-ordered on 360 and hoping it arrives on Friday at the latest!

Is this game going to be the one that changes my mind about bethsoft? Because i thought oblivion was unplayable and returned it after 6 hours, while new Vegas was a bit better but still pretty bland and lacking in some places. That being said I need a new game and this one is so shiny amd new. I'm a bit reticent to get it for ps3 but thats all ive got.

Fjordson said:
Yes. Watching the game, I've seen it happen multiple times. Like I said, if you really get out there, you can stumble upon certain things that will kill you in 1-2 hits.

JambiBum said:
Yes. Especially early on. This was the problem most people had with oblivion. There wasn't really much of a challenge.

Yeah, I agree Oblivion is far too easy. Won't that make this game TOO hard then? Or am I just not completely understanding how it works? As long as it works for the game, I have no problem with it.

Woorloog

Banned
Onion_Relish said:
Is this game going to be the one that changes my mind about bethsoft? Because i thought oblivion was unplayable and returned it after 6 hours, while new Vegas was a bit better but still pretty bland and lacking in some places. That being said I need a new game and this one is so shiny amd new. I'm a bit reticent to get it for ps3 but thats all ive got.
Frankly, if you haven't liked earlier Bethesda's open world games, you probably won't like this one either.

Deified Data said:
I'm the sort of guy who refuses to create a character without sticking to their in-world naming conventions. An Imperial is Titus Mead, an Orc is Urgal gro-Shuk, a Nord is Fjordi Troll-Face, so on, and so forth. The name of my character will depend entirely on the race I pick. Currently leaning towards Argonian, Orc, or Nord.

If anyone's wanting for ideas, give me the race of the character, their traits, etc. and I'll throw out some ideas. That, or check out this link for inspiration: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Names
Redguard. "Templar" archetype. Noble, but not afraid to use extreme measures to protect the innocent.

Excells in the use of one handed weapons, shields, heavy armor, restoration magick and smithing. Has been know to have a silver tongue as well.

Fjordson

Piercedveil said:
Yeah, I agree Oblivion is far too easy. Won't that make this game TOO hard then? Or am I just not completely understanding how it works? As long as it works for the game, I have no problem with it.
The balance seems great. I don't want to spoil anything about the types of enemies that can dominate you like that because a lot of them are pretty cool, but I think it'll be fine. It's not like you'll run into a wolf and all of a sudden it's killing you in five seconds.

syllogism

Fjordson said:
The balance seems great. I don't want to spoil anything about the types of enemies that can dominate you like that because a lot of them are pretty cool, but I think it'll be fine. It's not like you'll run into a wolf and all of a sudden it's killing you in five seconds.
That would make it a gothic game, it's a shame that's not the case

Fjordson said:

As long as it feels balanced and I'm not dying like crazy, it should be fine.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Redguard. "Templar" archetype. Noble, but not afraid to use extreme measures to protect the innocent.

Excells in the use of one handed weapons, shields, heavy armor, restoration magick and smithing. Has been know to have a silver tongue as well.
The cool thing about Redguards is that, of all the races, their naming conventions are the most lax. The Imperials have a latin conceit, Bretons are "french", Nords are, well, "Nordic", but Redguards have the most "normal" names of them all. Think of just about any semi-obscure name given to a human character in a standard fantasy setting and you've got a good Redguard name.

Personally, I've always noticed an old-Irish twist to Redguard names. Names like Trayvond, Therdon, Boldon, etc. It sounds like you want a name that reflects strength and nobility. How about "Pyke"? Or "Brandt"?

Note: Redguards do not carry family names. Hah, I kind of want to make my first a Redguard now. Such an epic race.

joesmokey

One week to go! I think I've decided on playing as a Dunmer for first play through. I want to be the highest damage dealing glass cannon mage I can be.

Deified Data said:
The cool thing about Redguards is that, of all the races, their naming conventions are the most lax. The Imperials have a latin conceit, Bretons are "french", Nords are, well, "Nordic", but Redguards have the most "normal" names of them all. Think of just about any semi-obscure name given to a human character in a standard fantasy setting and you've got a good Redguard name.

Personally, I've always noticed an old-Irish twist to Redguard names. Names like Trayvond, Therdon, Boldon, etc. It sounds like you want a name that reflects strength and nobility. How about "Pyke"? Or "Brandt"?

Note: Redguards do not carry family names. Hah, I kind of want to make my first a Redguard now. Such an epic race.
Pyke is awesome, thanks!

Blue Ninja said:
I was originally going to make an entire new "Pocket Guide to the Empire", though, but ended up only doing the parts relevant to the game. If there's enough demand for the rest, I might do it for shits and giggles.

Where can I find full pocket guide?

Solo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuHeTfy7gSY

FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL IT IN YOUR VEINS

I'm standing here

skyrim_environment_1024x768.jpg

with this tune in my ears. Gives me fucking chill.

I'm so glad there will no longer be major skills. I hated that in Oblivion. I can't really decide how I feel about armor not being damaged anymore.

Seeing Beth's going gold party with Mead made me realize I've never had Mead.

Anyone know where I could find a bottle? Can't say I've ever seen in at my usual grocery store, so a liquor store maybe?

Oh, very nice OT. Can't wait, 7 days!

bengraven said:
I think he wrote it himself based on information gleaned from sources on the status of the Empire.
Yeah. The last official Pocket Guide was the third edition, and that came with the Oblivion Collector's Edition.

Man, one of the tavern songs I'm currently listening to (04) is so good.

Dyno said:
SKYRIM FOR NORDS! NON-NORDS GET OUT! STOP OF THE POLLUTION OF SKYRIM!
Wulf is a progressive Nord, he doesn't care for your xenophoby.

Skirn

GasProblem said:
Lego-Lars, if Nord.

BigJiantRobut said:
TjCSN.gif

And yet, I am as excited as anything. I have a day off Friday, can't wait.
Is this real or just a badly Photoshopped .gif? Looks janky... the way the giant sort of jitters in the dragon's grasp.

bengraven

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah. The last official Pocket Guide was the third edition, and that came with the Oblivion Collector's Edition.

Man, one of the tavern songs I'm currently listening to (04) is so good.

Yeah, most of the music has been beautiful so far. I wonder if the Morrowind music is on the soundtrack...I heard that a LOT in the areas outside and even inside Whiterun.

Also, I miss my Oblivion CE. Sent my cousin to Gamestop to get some cash for it one day out of desperation (I had just had my first kid and could literally not afford to drive to work that day) and he came back with $11. For all the games I gave him to trade. And yes, I saw the receipt...I got like 3-4 bucks for my entire CE. :(

I loved that guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom