• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
kodt said:
Doesn't it unlock at 12 midnight EST? I'm CST and it says 10 hours which is 11pm

Oh shit, it does say 10 hours. I swear I read it was west coast time on here, but hopefully this means I'm wrong. 12am is no problem for me.

Aurora

Wallach said:
What do you mean by this exactly? How are they granting you experience points when there aren't experience points to grant...? Are you saying when completing a quest the game increases skills directly as a form of reward, or is it possible to move your level progress forward without increasing skills via quests?
He means that whereas there is clear numerical indications of how much gold is gained upon completing a quest (e.g. "Received 200 gold"), the EXP values aren't given. You gain EXP, but the game doesn't show you the value, and there is no way of knowing exactly how much you've gained (e.g. "Gained 150 EXP"). The best you can do is to approximate by looking at the EXP bar on top.

Zafir

Anyone know whether the UK retail version of the game has any region locking on it? Was going to buy it for a european friend.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
Oh shit, it does say 10 hours. I swear I read it was west coast time on here, but hopefully this means I'm wrong. 12am is no problem for me.

I hope that's true! That means 9pm for us west coasters!

Wallach

Aurora said:
He means that whereas there is clear numerical indications of how much gold is gained upon completing a quest (e.g. "Received 200 gold"), the EXP values aren't given. You gain EXP, but the game doesn't show you the value, and there is no way of knowing exactly how much you've gained (e.g. "150 EXP"). The best you can do is approximate by looking at the EXP bar up top.

What? That's not a thing in Elder Scrolls, there's no experience points to begin with. That's why I'm asking, I don't understand what is actually being granted when turning in a quest.

DangerStepp

Snuggler said:
Preloading. Now I just wish that the West Coast wasn't holding the rest of us back. 3AM EST is way too late for a game to unlock.
3AM? Wat? What does that mean for me if I'm Central time?

kodt said:
Doesn't it unlock at 12 midnight EST? I'm CST and it says 10 hours which is 11pm
HHHNNNNGNG!!!!! 11PM?!?! YES!!!!!

Aurora

Wallach said:
What? That's not a thing in Elder Scrolls, there's no experience points to begin with. That's why I'm asking, I don't understand what is actually being granted when turning in a quest.
I'm an idiot. I've been playing too many other RPGs recently, but yes, you're totally right. In that case I don't understand what he means either.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wallach said:

Obviously there are numbers. Everything in a game is numbers, whether or not they show you. Even if that number is "% of experience bar filled."

zethren

Banned
lol @ Greg's Cliff Racer game idea.

I'd play it for sure. Imagine it being narrated by the narrator from Bastion?

"Cliff Racer just bugs the shit out of the hero for a while..."

neoism

Blue Ninja said:
I desperately need a place to store shit. Let's put it that way. I'll give a more detailed description in a sec.
first mod I download is 5000 weight or something.

also holy shit how did solo get bant... :/

diffusionx said:
Obviously there are numbers. Everything in a game is numbers, whether or not they show you. Even if that number is "% of experience bar filled."
When you turn in a quest you get no XP... all you get is money and possibly faction ranking, there's really no hidden numbers. Each skill has it's own experience bar and that bar only goes up when you use that skill, your overall experience bar only goes up when your individual skill bars go up. The only reason you do quests in these games is for money, fame, story, and the chance to use your skills during the quest itself.

gibration said:
I've never been a fan of Bethesda's games but I will probably just buy this based on reviews and GAF's hype/impressions.
Why would you spend $60 on a hunch? If you haven't liked Bethesda's games yet, you'll hate this one.

Clevinger

Deified Data said:
Why would you spend $60 on a hunch? If you haven't liked Bethesda's games yet, you'll hate this one.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I've seen plenty of people who hated Oblivion enjoy Fallout 3, and now some people are saying they didn't like either of those two and yet like Skyrim.

gibration

Deified Data said:
Eh, I don't know. lol. This game looks much more interesting than anything they've done in the past so i'll give them one more shot to win me over.

somesang

Anyone that unlocked with the Aussie VPN want to help me out?
VPNsecure is not allowing anymore registers. Just got out of work and was hoping this wouldn't happen.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
TheNiX said:
To anyone waiting for my VPN access: I'm getting through the list. A couple hiccups, but it's moving along.

You're a great man. Any chance you'd be around at 6:30pm US Pacific Coast time?

ced

somesang said:
Anyone that unlocked with the Aussie VPN want to help me out?
VPNsecure is not allowing anymore registers. Just got out of work and was hoping this wouldn't happen.

Same situation here, every VPN service I have found that has an AUS location won't take anymore registrations. Sucks.

Rekubot

Pre-loading now so I'm ready for unlock. Just 4.25 hours to go!

The DVD really should have had the Steam pre-load installed, rather than the full version which we can't install yet. Waste of bandwidth...

spirity

Deified Data said:

Its a bit of a gamble sure, but I've seen reviewers state how they disliked MW + Oblivion but love Skyrim.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So once more: Are the "finishing moves" 3rd person view only, or can you stay in 1st person mode?

GasProblem said:
Manual says 1 - 8.

Only 8 again? For fucks sake Bethesda .. gggnnnnnngngngnngngngnngnngngnngnngnnnggngnngghgh *splintering of teeth*

TheNiX said:
I'm pretty sure the crashing has to do with sound and has already been figured out.

Ah right, cool. However, after reading about the interface being a turd, I'm passing on the game until the modders have worked their magic with it. Thanks for the replies though guys, a GAF OT thread saves the day once more!

Bufbaf said:
So once more: Are the "finishing moves" 3rd person view only, or can you stay in 1st person mode?

Some finishing moves are in 3rd person, some are in 1st, and they seem to be randomly triggered, but like in the Batman games it will usually only happen to the last enemy in the vicinity, if at all.

Also, there are even finishing moves when you kill
dragons, very God of War

Has anyone found another working Aussie VPN site to rent a VPN to activate Skyrim with yet? Once activated, is everyone playing in offline or online mode?

tch

Ok, so I bought it and downloaded it through D2D, and opened it with steam. Do I need to pre-load in steam as well even though I've already downloaded the game? Or do I just need to attempt to install it after its released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom