• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes it's nice not to follow gaming heavily anymore. i just found out this was coming out tomorrow, today. pre-ordered. this is fun.

cory021

Neo Member
It just occurred to me that I'm working till 11:00 tonight. I've never gone to a midnight game release before, but I think I might consider going tonight.

Also, my brother bought MW3 for some odd reason yesterday. I actually enjoyed the few games of multiplayer I played, although I probably won't play it again for a couple months :p

Thank fuck it's been despatched! Now, I just need to get through a 12 hour shift tomorrow and Skyrim will be mine to plunder.

Question to those playing who have married their character to an NPC. Any option for slap and tickle?

styl3s

craigrushforth said:
Wow, that is surprising. I'm sure the 360 will get a patch to fix the texture issue, but well done to Bethesda for devoting some proper time and effort to the PS3 version.

Hopefully they're both equally matched on framerate and tearing.

Not showing any PS3 footage at all prior to release will definitely have affected PS3 sales, which is a shame considering how close the versions are. Whatever the reasons were for not showing it I hope this crap stops soon.
Yeah it's incredibly surprising.

I hope it gets cleared up if the xbox thing is a bug or thats just how it is before tomorrow.

I really want the PS3 version because i prefer PS3 and from the video PS3 looks better but the fact that MS got 30 day DLC exclusivity before sony pisses me off, i can't stand when companies do this bullshit.

still not sure what class to be. i played a melee/theif in oblivion but never touched anything else. Are magic users fun in these types of games? Pure melee? Archers? any suggestions?

Wallach

MustacheBandit_ said:
still not sure what class to be. i played a melee/theif in oblivion but never touched anything else. Are magic users fun in these types of games? any suggestions?

Being a mage is pretty much the business in Elder Scrolls.

ShinNL

First impressions:

Started game with X360 gamepad, played for like 90 minutes. Feels quite nice, but a bit sluggish. Especially walking and looking around feels like you're an NPC. I had no problems with the button layout. Game looks amazing, runs good.

Started a new game using KB + Mouse. Mouse is indeed floaty on first impression, but after blazing through the intro I think I'm okay with it now. KB + Mouse is still superior, the turning and walking feel much nicer. Oh yeah, my keyboard and mouse are wireless, so comfy couch bed. I found out during this 2nd playthrough that daggers are actually pretty cool (unlike swords), so instead of pure mage I might go battlemage or something. I also cranked up graphic settings higher since the game had no problems running at all. (The reason I started was because I wanted a prettier female, so I remade...)

The environments and shaders and well, pretty much everything looks 100000 times better than Oblivion. But it's noticeable that it's the best of the best graphics, but some moments do look amazing. It also helps just to not move and stare at the sky or something or at the river. The world is actually too huge to stand still and marvel.

Holy shit.
That dragon landed on several roofs, just spewing fire everywhere. It was a new type of dragon, too, stronger than I'd seen before. There's dead Whiterun guards everywhere. It eventually landed in front of the North gates of the town, and Alvor the smith rushed in to whack it with its hammer...

R.I.P. Alvor.

I killed the dragon, and immediately afterwards, a bunch of confused and frightened civilians came running towards me and the dragon's corpse. Very believable. So awesome.

The Chef

Ok let me run this by and see if anyone has any information on this.

In games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas my FAVORITE type of character is one that is hailed by all in the game and pretty much always does the right thing...unless I happen to be alone. New Vegas lets me do this beautifully, like buy a ton of items from a shop owner and then slip behind him in the shadows and pick his pocket, or just blow him away, and get ALL my money back.

Or if I am speaking to someone all alone and they seriously annoy me, or I see they have a weapon I envy - I have no restraint just blasting them away when they turn their back to me and taking what I want. The best part about this is the game never punished me for doing anything like that. I absolutely LOVE this kind of freedom.

Its been a while since I played Oblivion but I distinctly remember this was not the case. I remember being in the mages guild and being completely alone in one of the guild homes. Being alone, I quickly snatched up a soul gem from a glass case. This immediately prompted me with a message saying I have been kicked out of the guild. I remember this happening quite a lot. If I killed someone in an alley in Imperial City and was just strolling around afterwards, inevitably a guard would finally catch up to me "Halt! You've broken the law!"

It felt extremely restrictive in comparison to Fallout. Is it farfetched of me to hope that Skyrim will be more like New Vegas in this sense?

ACE 1991 said:
Y'all don't have better things to do with your Friday nights?
Amazing thing, Friday... happens every god damn week. There's only one chance to get caught up in this hype train. 1991... you're 19 years old? 20? believe me you'll have more "Friday nights" than you'll care to remember in your young adulthood.

IoCaster

Wallach said:
Is it like New Vegas where the default.ini comes in and overwrites prefs.ini every time you run the launcher?

No it's still set to zero in the config. It's a UI navigation problem like the DA2 demo. You position the cursor over an entry and it often fails to highlight it. You have to kind of slide the cursor around until it highlights something then slowly move it to the item you want to select. Another problem I'm having is that the favorites menu doesn't show up in game. The default key is "F" which I haven't changed, but it's definitely not working for me. I can probably fix that by setting all key binds to default and redoing my keyboard remapping next time I start the game.

Derrick01

Banned
ACE 1991 said:

I don't see anything better than playing Skyrim all night. Not everyone needs to go out every Friday and bro it up at some dumb club.

Wallach

MustacheBandit_ said:
i have never played one, maybe that is a good one to try first. what races are good for being a mage?

Altmer (High Elves) or Breton are the two races most suited to heavy magery in terms of racial bonuses. Bretons get more defensive-minded bonuses; Conjuration, Alteration, and their racial powers give them passive and active ways to resist magical attacks. Altmer are more offensive and their racial power gives them more magicka to cast from and the ability to quickly regen magicka once per day.

Lots of races can be handy with magic in general, if you want to do some stealth/melee business on the side, but the two races above have almost all their starting bonuses slanted towards magicka.

IoCaster said:
No it's still set to zero in the config. It's a UI navigation problem like the DA2 demo. You position the cursor over an entry and it often fails to highlight it. You have to kind of slide the cursor around until it highlights something then slowly move it to the item you want to select. Another problem I'm having is that the favorites menu doesn't show up in game. The default key is "F" which I haven't changed, but it's definitely not working for me. I can probably fix that by setting all key binds to default and redoing my keyboard remapping next time I start the game.

Ah, that is annoying, I know what you mean now. Can you navigate the menu without clicking stuff with the cursor? Like if you navigate with W/S can you just click LMB and activate a menu item on the list or do you still have to directly click stuff with the cursor?

neoemonk

I haven't been this excited about a game since Dragon Age Origins. I enjoyed the time I spent with it, but it didn't quite live up to the hype.

I'm holding out hope for this one though. Reviews sound great.

SRTtoZ

Houston3000 said:
Amazing thing, Friday... happens every god damn week. There's only one chance to get caught up in this hype train. 1991... you're 19 years old? 20? believe me you'll have more "Friday nights" than you'll care to remember in your young adulthood.

Lol Yep, my point exactly. I go out all the time....whats wrong with taking ONE Friday and playing a game I've been looking forward to for a year? So I guess every Friday its the mandatory COOL thing to do is ignore video games. When he gets older he will realize Friday comes every week.

Enco

From reddit:

LugQF.jpg

Just woke up, managed to get a couple of hours sleep after playing until the wee hours of the morning.

Day off from work so I'm about to fire it up and go back in. Trying to restrain hyperbole :)

This fucking game!

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Wallach did you ever VPN it up?

Nah, I want to but at the same time I don't really want to sit in offline mode or really otherwise fuck around with it. I'll probably just wait and use the next 8 hours making sure relatives and friends understand they may not see me again.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Nah, I want to but at the same time I don't really want to sit in offline mode or really otherwise fuck around with it. I'll probably just wait and use the next 8 hours making sure relatives and friends understand they may not see me again.

lol sounds like a plan :D

Managed to decrypt, run and get to the character creation screen before work. runs fine at ultra settings with 2xAA @ 1080p on my core duo 4gig ram with a gtx460, but it's the very start of the game. many settings will be tweaked after this I'm sure.

I just need to push through work, get home and explore!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ACE 1991 said:

I doubt many people have something better to do every single Friday night. Maybe if you're in college, but otherwise... some weeks there just isn't much going on.

Also, what are you trying to accomplish with that question? Did you register here to make fun of people who are passionate about gaming? Are you trying to brag that you do, actually, have something better to do in an attempt to make people feel jealous of you somehow?

Posts like this just don't make any sense to me.

Pixel Pete said:
Managed to decrypt, run and get to the character creation screen before work. runs fine at ultra settings with 2xAA @ 1080p on my core duo 4gig ram with a gtx460, but it's the very start of the game. many settings will be tweaked after this I'm sure.

I just need to push through work, get home and explore!

Good to know.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Blue Ninja, no thanks to you, my hype for this game has literally gone from moderate to "fuck the world" in the few days I've been enjoying this thread.

My plans for the evening

- Cook a nice bowtie pasta dish with pesto and grilled chicken. A nice spinach salad on the side, and either a nice glass of wine or a few quality beers. Gotta have one solid meal before shit-food weekend commences.

- Go to Kroger to stock up on snacks, water, soda, more beer.

- Do laundry so that I don't have to do it Sunday before the work week starts again.

- Explain to the fiance that I may be hard to get in touch with this weekend (long distance = phone calls all the time), and that I may be "in the zone" when she calls and effectively not pay attention to her.

- Stare at this thread and get hyped until 9 PM or so. Take a power nap until ~1 AM. Shower and get ready for work (minus hair and teeth brushing of course), and play until about 7:30.

This is pretty much what I did when Cataclysm released, and it was one of the most fun hypes I've ever had. Skyrim is about to 1-up the SHIT out of that.

Sorry to piss on the master race screenshots, but I abused the hell out of the save I took right before that dragon randomly decided to attack a village. I also uploaded some pics I took earlier today and yesterday while I was at it. They're camera pics I quickly snagged: I really need a capture card. :lol

Yesterday:
http://i.imgur.com/Ufrnf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NaNuK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1XMyR.jpg

Today:
http://i.imgur.com/O8Sy2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JbMFR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7uCwU.jpg

Zomg dragon attack! (Not really spoilerific, this is something that I'm assuming is unique to my game, as it's a random dragon that randomly decided to attack. Still though, view at your own risk, I guess.)

http://i.imgur.com/ZaWl3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U0NsP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QntSm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Lmqr5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/M0utv.jpg

And there are the last ones I'll make, since there's no point in teasing you guys when you all get to play it tomorrow/today. :lol

Fjordson

Friend got his 360 copy, we've been playing for over fours hours. No texture bug with it installed to the HDD...yet. Game looks and runs great, though I'm still not a big fan of the intro.

*knock on wood*

Can someone tell me (without spoiling the story) if there are ever any dialogue options with any of the dragons or is it just a kill on sight thing with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom