• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Thanks for the impressions Bootaaay. Enjoy the game.

I'm glad all the PS3 impressions we've had so far have been positive regarding it's performance / graphics.

Midou

Lakitu said:

I'm glad all the PS3 impressions we've had so far have been positive regarding it's performance / graphics.

This late in the gen, it makes no sense to have a PS3 version be noticeably worse, while it is fair that it is harder to develop for, every dev should have had good enough experience with it by now.

Assemble!

Can't decide on Redguard or Nord for my first playthrough. (Somewhat new to the series... played Oblivion for 15 hours or so).

I want to go mostly one-handed and bow with some destruction magic thrown in there. Seems like Redguard but there's a lot of Nord love in this thread for warrior players.

Also, my name is going to be Einar. Means "lone warrior."

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lakitu said:

I'm still worried about the pop in... that was the worst thing about the PS3 versions of the previous games and this guy apparently never noticed. Hard for me to believe.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his post (and his CC picture!) but it's hard to glean anything about tech from a dude who thought the previous games were fine. Just, not much to take away from that.

Assemble! said:
Can't decide on Redguard or Nord for my first playthrough. (Somewhat new to the series... played Oblivion for 15 hours or so).

I want to go mostly one-handed and bow with some destruction magic thrown in there. Seems like Redguard but there's a lot of Nord love in this thread for warrior players.

Also, my name is going to be Einar. Means "lone warrior."
Einar's a good Nord name. For what it's worth, Redguards are known for having an aversio to magicka (in general). A Nord sounds like a better fit for this playthrough, to me.

moojito

If people are getting legitimate copies of this early, are we still not able to request/provide links to gameplay videos? I want to see someone just moseying about a village, checking out the houses and stuff!

Assemble!

Deified Data said:
Einar's a good Nord name. For what it's worth, Redguards are known for having an aversio to magicka (in general). A Nord sounds like a better fit for this playthrough, to me.

Thanks! That's what I needed.

Redguards might make good warrior mages if these racial bonuses are correct:
+10 One-Handed, +5 Destruction, Alteration, Smithing, Block, Archery
Adrenaline Rush: Stamina regenerates 10x faster for 60 seconds.
Resist Poison: Your Redguard blood gives you 50% resistance to poison

moojito said:
If people are getting legitimate copies of this early, are we still not able to request/provide links to gameplay videos? I want to see someone just moseying about a village, checking out the houses and stuff!
I just found a LP that's at least two hours long. Not sure if I can post it?

Edit: It's 4,5 hours.

I decided on my first playthrough character. Going to be a Nord Warrior. Undecided on the name, either Buri or Ymir. Making him 2-handed, heavy armor, smithing (only the heavy armor path), probaby block and a little bit of speech too. Only joining the Companions with him. Second character is a Bosmer Thief, focused on Markmanship and Sneak, going to join the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood with him. Third character will be a pure mage who joins the College of Winterhold.

Bootaaay said:
Also, the install is 5.5gb, but unlike Oblivion it doesn't install in the background as there's no opening cut-scene.

I just realized this. I thought the install on consoles was around 3.8 GB?

Majanew

Banned
Just pre-ordered. Stupid that they want to go with the whole 11.11.11 nonsense. Games release on Tuesdays in the US, Bethesda! Don't make me wait 3 more days! :'(

I'm trying to figure out if my bros comp can run this. He has

E6600 2.4 ghz
2gb ddr2
9800GTX

I might be sending him an ATI 6950 2gb soon but the processor/ram is still weak.

Think he could play it at 1080 at a decent FPS?

nismogrendel said:
I'm trying to figure out if my bros comp can run this. He has

E6600 2.4 ghz
2gb ddr2
9800GTX

I might be sending him an ATI 6950 2gb soon but the processor/ram is still weak.

Think he could play it at 1080 at a decent FPS?

Picking up some more RAM probably wouldn't hurt.

Assemble! said:
Thanks! That's what I needed.
No problem. =)

Concept17 said:
So is it possible or worthwhile not joining guilds/brotherhoods with my character? Or is it far more beneficial to?
There probably won't be any benefits to not joining a faction, but I'm not entirely certain. Joining one faction may pit you against another - opting not to join anyone could leave you on neutral terms with everyone, which could be desireable.

In Oblivion, at least, there was no reason not to join as many guilds as possible. I hope they bring back Morrowind's faction relations.

Majanew said:
Just pre-ordered. Stupid that they want to go with the whole 11.11.11 nonsense. Games release on Tuesdays in the US, Bethesda! Don't make me wait 3 more days! :'(

Think of it as getting it a few days early instead of a few days late.

Tobor

Concept17 said:
So is it possible or worthwhile not joining guilds/brotherhoods with my character? Or is it far more beneficial to?
Join every guild you can. Those are often the best quest-lines in an Elder Scrolls game.

Concept17 said:

Be sure to join all guilds, they always have very entertaining storylines. I think you can do them all on one character. I won't though. My Nord will barely use magic, will be weird for him to join the College of Winterhold.

ironcreed

Banned
Just watched some gameplay where
the player turned into a werewolf and went on a rampage.
Brought a smile to my face thinking of all the many moments this game will bring me. Brought back some fond memories as well.

Lakitu

st5fu
GasProblem said:
Be sure to join all guilds, they always have very entertaining storylines. I think you can do them all on one character. I won't though. My Nord will barely use magic, will be weird for him to join the College on Winterhold.

This is the same problem I have. But I'll soon after create a Thief / Assassin character to do those faction questlines.

GasProblem said:
Be sure to join all guilds, they always have very entertaining storylines. I think you can do them all on one character. I won't though. My Nord will barely use magic, will be weird for him to join the College on Winterhold.
I agree. While it may be possible to join all guilds, I wouldn't advise it. Save the other guilds for other characters and other playthroughs. This is a 300-500 hour game, people, pace yourselves!

Wallach

GasProblem said:

I'm guessing it'll be something like Morrowind, where you'll be able to join any guild, but not join any "faction" similar to the Great Houses being mutually exclusive.

Wallach said:
I'm guessing it'll be something like Morrowind, where you'll be able to join any guild, but not join any "faction" similar to the Great Houses being mutually exclusive.
Remember that some Morrowind guilds' questlines collided. You couldn't continue advancing in both the Fighter's or Thieve's guilds, for example. Their quests had you offending the other guild.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Deified Data said:
I agree. While it may be possible to join all guilds, I wouldn't advise it. Save the other guilds for other characters and other playthroughs. This is a 300-500 hour game, people, pace yourselves!

I dunno about Skyrim, but in Oblivion it was very possible to complete all guilds as I did so with one character. If there's no story obstruction to doing so in Skyrim I'm sure I will again.

I'm sure I'm the only one but I never make more than one character. I make one and play through every single quest with him.

Wallach

Deified Data said:
Remember that some Morrowind guilds' questlines collided. You couldn't continue advancing in both the Fighter's or Thieve's guilds, for example. Their quests had you offending the other guild.

I remember that, but I don't remember it happening outside of that one quest between the Fighters' and Thieves' guilds.

Emerson said:
I dunno about Skyrim, but in Oblivion it was very possible to complete all guilds as I did so with one character. If there's no story obstruction to doing so in Skyrim I'm sure I will again.

I'm sure I'm the only one but I never make more than one character. I make one and play through every single quest with him.
That's one way of playing. A valid one, but not something I'd ever do. I'm too addicted to rolling new characters. I'll likely create 5-7 on day one alone.

GarthVaderUK said:
Redguards might make good warrior mages if these racial bonuses are correct:

+10 One-Handed, +5 Destruction, Alteration, Smithing, Block, Archery
Adrenaline Rush: Stamina regenerates 10x faster for 60 seconds.
Resist Poison: Your Redguard blood gives you 50% resistance to poison
Can you (or anyone) point me towards the bonus breakdown for all the races?

Wallach

Actually in looking it up (my memory of Morrowind is kind of hazy even for all the hours I spent there), it looks like there's two distinct lines where you'll run into a conflict between FG and TG, though it was possible to still become the master of both guilds if you handled things in a specific way.

Emerson said:

I plan on sticking with one character also. I think it's fun that way.

Seth C

Emerson said:

I'm with you. I lack the patience to play through more than twice (and that would require months off between them, if not years).

Evolved1 said:
I'm still worried about the pop in... that was the worst thing about the PS3 versions of the previous games and this guy apparently never noticed. Hard for me to believe.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his post (and his CC picture!) but it's hard to glean anything about tech from a dude who thought the previous games were fine. Just, not much to take away from that.

I say the previous games were fine, but they had problems I lived with in the end - Fallout with the stuttering, and Oblivion with the pop-in. For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any glaring pop-in, although there is still the problem with ground textures in the distance, where the grass and foliage doesn't appear until you get closer, although I've only really noticed it when looking over a large area from up high.

RPGCrazied said:
I want the PS3 version too. It has some AA you say? That's pretty rare in a PS3 game. How about screen tearing? I really do hate that.

No screen tearing that I've seen, and I don't know if it does have AA or not, I just haven't noticed much in the way of jaggies.

Just had my first encounter with a Giant -
he one hit killed me and sent my body flying about 50 feet into the air
:D

Wallach said:
Actually in looking it up (my memory of Morrowind is kind of hazy even for all the hours I spent there), it looks like there's two distinct lines where you'll run into a conflict between FG and TG, though it was possible to still become the master of both guilds if you handled things in a specific way.

In Skyrim, as far as I know, the only exclusive factions are the Stormcloaks or the Imperial Legion. If you join one, you can't join the other.

I'm probably going to spend at least an hour or more crafting my first character. Reason being is because I can't have any regrets about my character. I won't make another one until I have done everything I could with the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom